Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Quinn needs to just be dead. Dude got shot, gassed, forced back to life, and a major hematoma. This is Jack Bauer/24 levels of recovery already, if they bring him back in any capacity (other than a cameo or two showing him in some form of rehab/recovery) I'd be a little annoyed. MAYBE next season runs across some old footprints of his and they try to get him to remember, but goddamn. I really thought Carrie was going to smother him when she took the monitoring thing off his finger.

Overall though, good season, not great. Pacing felt a little strange at times, and I was really surprised that Saul had Allison executed - seems a little out of character for him, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think executing her was put on the table as soon as she murdered her case officer and let the attack go forward. If she would've kept to her original story, they probably would've tried to flip her or throw her in a hole until an opportunity for an exchange came up with the Russians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
That felt sorta underwhelming after the last few seasons' final episodes. Did they drastically shrink the budget or what?

I'm curious about what'll happen in the next season, still. I hope they pick up where they left off, however that may happen.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Zwille posted:

That felt sorta underwhelming after the last few seasons' final episodes. Did they drastically shrink the budget or what?

I'm curious about what'll happen in the next season, still. I hope they pick up where they left off, however that may happen.

There's no way it could be as underwhelming as last season's finale.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

buddhanc posted:

I think executing her was put on the table as soon as she murdered her case officer and let the attack go forward. If she would've kept to her original story, they probably would've tried to flip her or throw her in a hole until an opportunity for an exchange came up with the Russians.

I think the people taking her to Russia probably had some sort of diplomatic immunity. If they confronted them directly, it might cause an "incident."

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

nickmeister posted:

I think the people taking her to Russia probably had some sort of diplomatic immunity. If they confronted them directly, it might cause an "incident."

Oh, I didn't think of that. I figured the Russians would use some mafia guys to smuggle her out so they can keep some deniability in place, but the diplomatic immunity makes sense. Just shoot em in the dark and disappear.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
that finale was definitely too calm for Homeland standards

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I'm pretty sure dudes who run a pipeline for teenage prostitutes are in the plausible deniability camp, not attached to the foreign office.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

jfood posted:

I'm pretty sure dudes who run a pipeline for teenage prostitutes are in the plausible deniability camp, not attached to the foreign office.

Oh poo poo I forgot about that. Yeah they were definitely mafia guys contracted out by the SVR.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
The size of the gently caress I give about Carrie's personal life is so small you'd need a tunnelling electron microscope to see it.

I wish this show was more about badass spy vs spy poo poo like the Saul/Alison/Dar Adal/SVR stuff and less about Carrie's wobbly cry chin.

Average finale. All very convenient and predictable but at least it was an improvement over last season's one.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I really liked the finale. Great end to a great season overall. Looking forward to the next one.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Underwhelming finale, for sure.

I wanted a scene between Saul and Allison where we got to see her reaction upon getting captured and realizing that the jig was up. Seeing her get shot in the trunk of a car without getting to watch her process just how hosed she was felt abrupt and anticlimactic. It was an unsatisfying way to wrap up what I felt was the most compelling storyline of the season. Speaking of which, I completely agree with the "more spy games, less Carrie soap opera bullshit next season, please" sentiment.

On another note, I sincerely hope next season doesn't invest too much time in a prolonged back and forth wherein Saul keeps trying to get a resistant Carrie to join the CIA. Its a trite storyline, and I'd much prefer the season to start off with her being back in the agency.

With all that said, I still enjoyed this season. I don't think the show will ever again reach the towering heights of season one (or even the semi-towering heights of season two), but as long as they keeping churning out decent spycraft stuff, it'll be watchable. F. Murray Abraham still feels criminally underused, and it would be great to see his character have more of a pronounced role next season.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

The size of the gently caress I give about Carrie's personal life is so small you'd need a tunnelling electron microscope to see it.

I wish this show was more about badass spy vs spy poo poo like the Saul/Alison/Dar Adal/SVR stuff and less about Carrie's wobbly cry chin.

Average finale. All very convenient and predictable but at least it was an improvement over last season's one.

The personal life stuff is nice to provide a bit of insight into the toll this kind of job would take on your personal life. Quinn, Carrie, and Saul all have wrecks of personal lives, but manage to be pretty good at their job. Basically, they are sacrificing themselves at the altar of national security - whether they know it or not is another question.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I thought this season was ok. Felt sorry for Quinn, the dude is so broken and now they broke him physically in a ton of ways this season too lol

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Internet Savant posted:

The personal life stuff is nice to provide a bit of insight into the toll this kind of job would take on your personal life. Quinn, Carrie, and Saul all have wrecks of personal lives, but manage to be pretty good at their job. Basically, they are sacrificing themselves at the altar of national security - whether they know it or not is another question.

they spent way less time on the personal lives of the characters in this season than previous seasons (rip brody's daughter storyline)

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Geno posted:

they spent way less time on the personal lives of the characters in this season than previous seasons (rip brody's daughter storyline)

Fortunately they brought in a character equally retarded. This season made me dearly miss the 24-like story in season 4.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I miss the hot evil Pakistani agent

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Pakistani Carrie? Yeah I miss her too.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i miss poor man's Matthew Perry

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I have a thing for German Carrie, even if she is a little evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Boing posted:

I have a thing for German Carrie, even if she is a little evil

She plays the same character in the movie A Most Wanted Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYORzJ3e-Og

• Locked thread