Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

ok you've almost solved my problem. how do i get it so that the icon text expands instead of cutting out the middle so i don't have a screen full of "Artist Na...bum Title" instead of "Artist Name - Album Title"

this on the other hand is definitely wrong unless i'm actually the guy from Memento because i've hated this for a very long time and there's this one specific album that's always shown expanded no matter how many times i close it

if people get URLs they can get file system paths

adjust grid spacing to taste

you are apparently the guy from memento

they dont, thats why url bars are really just search bars now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I'm glad I put the link to your only FYAD post from 2009 in the IK discussion thread.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

emoji posted:

I'm glad I put the link to your only FYAD post from 2009 in the IK discussion thread.

Doing gods work as far as I'm concerned

I liked the old kitty jail better tho

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
praise be to a loving dog for repeatedly owning stux

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Stux posted:

do you know who do wear suits though? spacemen and women wear suits. space suits. and they use mac

pc: for data entry and other menial basic tasks where performance and stability are not as important as cost

mac: for literal rocket science

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What's this? People use the tool for the job? CRAZZZZYYYYYYY!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
well duh a mac is the best computer on earth, off earth it's a thinkpad

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fabricated posted:

praise be to a loving dog for repeatedly owning stux

lmao what a baby

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

ibm thinkpads :sadwave:

back then, definitely the correct choice for space...

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Stux posted:

adjust grid spacing to taste

the widest setting still cuts off more than half the name in most of the albums. is this just a dumb artificial limitation or am i missing something

Stux posted:

you are apparently the guy from memento

this definitely happens man. my guess as to why is that it's related to how i usually open up my music files in a network share with read-only access, but some time in the past i accidentally opened it with read/write access and finder shat those dumb little metadata files everywhere, and one of them is telling finder to always expand certain folders

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

can u brew install gnome 3 in OSX?

yeah but you have to run it within an x11 emulator thing

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
and the finder is garbage. that's all there is to it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

you're all wrong the best pos is geoworks ensemble now called breadbox ensemble

or aix or os2 worp whatever aggro sperg clumsy os is fashionable at the moment

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Stux posted:

subfolders in list are expanded or minimised based on how u left them. they arent arbitrary, u just keep leaving them open and then wonder why they're still open later.

why the gently caress should i have to manually clean up poo poo like that? i eventually just set up a cron job to delete all .ds_store files every night because i never actually want any of the state persisted

Stux posted:

because a path bar is clunky and redundant for 99% of users and hitting cmd shift g and typing isnt exactly slower than clicking on the path bar instead.

so leave it off by default

oh wait, it's os x so we can't have any options ever

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

finder is garbage. that's all there is to it.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
os x is the only os with bouncy dock icons. im jealous

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i use bash and spotlight instead of finder, suits my needs

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Aix posted:

os x is the only os with bouncy dock icons. im jealous

you can pay the shitlords at stardock instead of the shitlords at one infinity loop if you want bouncy dock icons so there's that

Share Bear posted:

spotlight's been as good as broken since the last point release, gently caress spotlight

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Share Bear posted:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

broken clock opsec posted:

you can pay the shitlords at stardock instead of the shitlords at one infinity loop if you want bouncy dock icons so there's that

spotlight's been as good as broken since the last point release, gently caress spotlight

i didnt upgrade to the latest version because i think san francisco sucks compared to helvetica neue

extremely highly technical decision, i know

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

i use ranger and alfred as the ultimate combo in spergery

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

broken clock opsec posted:

there is also cairo dock, which has every spergy micro-management option you can imagine

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

emoji posted:

this is cute but im afraid im just not interested in u in that way

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i just use the mac as it is, out of the box

• Locked thread