Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will this event help or hurt Trump?
Trump in Triumph
Trump Unstumped
Trump Slumps
Trump Finally Stumped
View Results

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Trump's "wins" all the debates in the same way the class clown wins all the debates for student government president.

Which is to say he's the most popular, period, he knows it, he doesn't give a poo poo and everyone eats it up and he's going to loving win, but whether you can call it "winning" the debate is in the eye of the beholder

I basically agree with this but I want to add that winning a republican debate on the issues is a weird thing because all of the policies expressed at them are insane and illogical, so there isn't really an outcome where you win on the merits of your argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, despite what Trump claims very few people think he's "won" the debates. Generally speaking the consensus seems to be that he kind of has up and down debates that he kind of weathers with a few good moments and a few bad moments but then he just retakes the narrative afterwards.

So by that standard he pretty much did the same here. Maybe people think bad on him skipping out, maybe they respect him doing charity, maybe he dodged a bullet. But he's already controlling his narrative so he's kind of where he usually is a day or two after the debate.

Uhh most people are voting for him because of how well he dominated every debate, and he has won every single one by a landslide. Everything you said is the opposite.

His poll numbers keep going up.

He just put Fox in their place and raised millions for vets. He's owning this poo poo.

Tomorrow you'll see this was the lowest rated debate and Trumps poll numbers will go up a few percent.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

there isn't really an outcome where you win on the merits of your argument.

That too, I have no freaking clue what constitutes "winning" a Republican primary debate and let's face it, I don't think anyone does.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

So I missed it, what happened

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

6 million dollars raised for Vets in 24 hours by our gracious lord emperor

Debate boring for anyone but us political junkies

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

a cross between the blue ball machine and human centipede

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
All the Google data shows a much greater interest in Trump than anyone. Post debate.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

funny how he refused to help the veterans until he needed an alibi for not showing up somewhere else

could've done it at the last rally and also won the debate

i bet he could've raised twice as much if he'd given donors more than a few days' notice

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

oystertoadfish posted:

maybe he'll actually decide to become good at debates. i don't think it's beyond him, it's just another form of reality tv

it seems like he should've just done that a month or three ago though

Other debates will be on friendlier turf for him, though. Skipping this one makes a lot of sense.

(Fox News is at war with Trump because he's wresting control of the Republican Party from them. Other networks don't have a direct state in the internecine GOP leadership struggle, but Fox News is one of the actual combatants in that struggle)

Tubesock
Apr 20, 2002

Time.com running an informal internet poll on who won the debate. Results as hilarious as expected.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Millions upon millions raised tonight for VETERANS, the backbone of this country.

The losers on Fox didn't raise a penny for vets, in fact they didn't talk about the VA at all.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Tubesock posted:

Time.com running an informal internet poll on who won the debate. Results as hilarious as expected.

I feel bad for Rubio. The GOP is going to push him hard to be the establishment candidate and he'll get wrecked by Trump. He may develop an uncontrollable stutter because of it.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

a couple of them said they'd fire VA people, gilmore as The Only Veteran In This Race made some noises too, mental health, ptsd were mentioned, they didn't not talk about it it's just that nobody cared what they said

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Tubesock posted:

This chart illustrates exactly why it was brilliant to skip this debate. Cruz was damaged by being the "frontrunner" and Rand Paul was the perceived winner, despite having 0 chance of winning.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's winning slate also

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

oystertoadfish posted:

funny how he refused to help the veterans until he needed an alibi for not showing up somewhere else

i bet he could've raised twice as much if he'd given donors more than a few days' notice

What? He's been campaigning for vets the whole time...

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Prorat posted:

What? He's been campaigning for vets the whole time...

he could've done his fundraiser any time but he held onto that card until it was useful to him

is all i was saying. not that he's been campaigning against vets until today

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

oystertoadfish posted:

The veterans should be thankful that their miserable, meaningless lives served the needs of their rightful lord and master, emperor trumpus unus.

I mean, uh, :911: :patriot: :911: you're fired lol polls going up can't stump

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Close thread please - Trump Victorious

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Remember when Fox News did a poll on google.com asking people who they thought won the debate and then never published it because it obviously showed that trump won the debate?

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

Remember when Fox News did a poll on google.com asking people who they thought won the debate and then never published it because it obviously showed that trump won the debate?

Hahaha I voted for trump and the poll said "stay tuned for Fox News for the winner!" Now I understand why they didn't show it

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
At first my thought was "why would you even make him a choice you god drat morons" then I realized they thought that they were actually going to get Marco loving Rubio past him on this thing thereby stumping the Trump, and I realize that the fact that they thought their boy ever even had a chance makes them even bigger morons than I thought they were

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocks posted:

Hahaha I voted for trump and the poll said "stay tuned for Fox News for the winner!" Now I understand why they didn't show it

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
If any of you doubt Trump borrows good ideas from abroad, just take his classic wall idea!

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

eric posted:

I feel bad for Rubio. The GOP is going to push him hard to be the establishment candidate and he'll get wrecked by Trump. He may develop an uncontrollable stutter because of it.

:laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

eric posted:

If we're talking political stutters, hearing "C-C-C-C-C-C-C-Cruz' would be awesome. It has a good rhythm

• Locked thread