Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will this event help or hurt Trump?
Trump in Triumph
Trump Unstumped
Trump Slumps
Trump Finally Stumped
View Results

• Locked thread
Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
e: STREAM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_xNfp97Ic4

Debate? What debate?

THE SETUP

The Republican debate, scheduled for January 28, 2016, at 8pm, had already been influenced by the will of Trump. NBC/Telemundo, the original hosts, were given the boot by the RNC after Donald Trump got into it with Telemundo. Fox News was undoubtedly hoping to get into that sweet green that Trump brings to whoever airs the debates when they picked up the rights to air the debate. After all, the last debate, on January 14, brought in 11 million viewers and was the second most popular program that evening (behind the Big Bang Theory).

But Trump was not satisfied, hinting that he might drop out of the debate entirely because Megyn Kelly, with whom he has been feuding, was slated to be one of the moderators. Fox responded:

And with that, Trump announced that he was, in his words, "bye-bye." It is believed that Roger Ailes, chairman and CEO of Fox, was personally responsible for that response.

THE MOTIVATIONS

What's in it for Donald Trump? It's possible he was genuinely offended by Ailes' glibness. It's also likely that, given his past with Megyn Kelly, he would be under fire during the debate. The YouTube creators are also individuals known to have said things against him in the past. He has very little to gain from participating in a debate - definitely not his strong suit to begin with - and especially from one that would undoubtedly have a lot of negativity directed towards him. Furthermore, by skipping the debate, he can avoid any last minute blunders. It's likely too that the main target of the night will end up being Ted Cruz, Trump's main rival in Iowa. If that negative energy ends up hurting Cruz and glancing off Trump, the real winner here will be the Donald. Most likely of all, however, is that this has been part of Trump's strategy from the beginning. He is the dominant force in the news cycle, and this ensured that the only thing people have been talking about this week was Trump, just as the Palin endorsement last week dominated that news cycle. By sucking all the oxygen out of the debate, Trump leaves himself as the only man on screen.

THE EVENT

It's unclear right now what exactly Trump's event is going to be. Trump's press release merely stated the following about the event:

quote:

He will not be participating in the FOX News debate and will instead host an event in Iowa to raise money for the Veterans and Wounded Warriors, who have been treated so horribly by our all talk, no action politicians. Like running for office as an extremely successful person, this takes guts and it is the kind of mentality our country needs in order to Make America Great Again.
The Wounded Warrior Project, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, and VoteVets.org have all denied being in contact with Trump. IAVA also said that they would not accept any donations from this event. (e: it now seems as though donations will go straight through the Donald J. Trump Foundation; Trump set up a website here). The venue is a 775-seat concert auditorium better suited for piano recitals than Trump's usual brand of stagecraft. So far all we know is that the event will feature veterans joining Trump onstage to tell their stories, including times when the VA failed them.

Venue: Sheslow Auditorium, Drake University
Time: 9pm EST, same as the debate
Where to Watch: CSPAN (coverage starts at 8); MSNBC and CNN coverage "will largely depend on the nature of what is being presented"

REACTIONS

Megyn Kelly: She said it would be a "bad decision" but expected Trump to turn up because "Donald Trump is a showman, he’s very good at generating interest."
Cruz: Teddy challenged Donald to a debate, but Trump said he would only do it if it were in Canada.
Rubio: Marco's statement attacked Obama, then Cruz, then Trump, then Clinton, with no special animus towards Trump.
Bush: Bush told a man at a town hall that he expected Donald Trump would be at the debate because it was in "his best interest." When the man asked how it was in Trump's best interest, Bush shrugged.
Christie: Said he's "glad" Trump won't be there and said that when you're a leader, you have to show up, unless it's a massive blizzard.
Paul: "The IQ of the debate went up a couple dozen points. Good riddance."
Carson: Something about how all...candidates...sorry, I dozed off for a minute.
Fiorina: Offered $1.5 million for veterans to join Cruz's proposed debate on Saturday or $2 million to debate Trump on Thursday at Drake
Bill O'Reilly: Literally promised Trump he wouldn't beg him to attend the debate off camera, then begged him to attend the debate on camera, and looked weak and ashamed of himself when Trump told him no and called him out on his promise.
RNC Spokesman Sean Spicer: "Candidates can choose whether to participate in a debate or not."

LAST-MINUTE SURPRISES?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/692677570282786816
e: Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum are attending.

THE TAKEAWAY

This feels like a big bet. If Trump wins Iowa, he'll be going forward having spit on the establishment, the other candidates, and one of the leading voices in right wing media. If Trump loses in Iowa, especially if some candidate emerges from the debate looking very strong, it's going to hurt. It also depends on what the hell the event ends up being - is this just going to be the standard Trump speech? How will the fundraising aspect be worked in? Who else will speak? Will there be performers? Right now things are very up in the air - and the event is less than 12 hours away.

This thread should be used to avoid clogging up the debate thread and the Republican primary thread. I'll update the OP as we learn more about what exactly this is.

Are you not entertained?

Xenophon has issued a correction as of 03:29 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
TRUMP

*click*

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Will there be celebrity guests?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

TRUMP

*click*

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Trump should debate himself.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
sulla or cincinnatus

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Kylra posted:

Trump should kill himself.

Agreed

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Given that he's a 10 min drive from the debate it'd be easy for Huckabee to go to the Trump rally after the undercard.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
That's not what I wrote!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

gently caress that debate thread.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Grem posted:

gently caress that debate thread.

Everyone who posts in that thread are un-American traitor goons, and that's just facts :colbert:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Overthrow Joementum

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

Given that he's a 10 min drive from the debate it'd be easy for Huckabee to go to the Trump rally after the undercard.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/692758220385841152

e:
https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/692759697460334592

Xenophon has issued a correction as of 18:40 on Jan 28, 2016

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Baloogan posted:

TRUMP

*click*

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Trump is at Drizzy University the rest of those bums are at Meek Mill Community College.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Will there be celebrity guests?

If you count those dancing kids (USA Freedom Kids) who sang the Trump song, yes there will be celebrities.

And yes, they will really be there.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Third World Reggin posted:

sulla or cincinnatus

Octavian.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I have to say, I deeply enjoy that this thread is stickied above the debate thread.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Not a Step posted:

I have to say, I deeply enjoy that this thread is stickied above the debate thread.

Only high energy events deserve top sticky

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Santorum will be there as well, just confirmed.

Not sure if Carly will be invited, she is a bit of a loser.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Not a Step posted:

All is as it should be :trumpcryingagainsttheNYCflag:

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/692775930347941890

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
So Trump essentially has unofficial endorsements from the last two winners of the Iowa caucuses, both of whom won by appealing to evangelical votes (one of Trump's weak spots). On the other hand, it means he'll be ceding some of the spotlight to two known losers who are polling below 2%.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Amazing that Huck and Santorum are attending. I hope they endorse Trump.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xenophon posted:

So Trump essentially has unofficial endorsements from the last two winners of the Iowa caucuses, both of whom won by appealing to evangelical votes (one of Trump's weak spots). On the other hand, it means he'll be ceding some of the spotlight to two known losers who are polling below 2%.

Trump won't lose any ground to those two, but Cruz will, especially if he takes a boot to the nutsack in the debate.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can donate now:

http://www.donaldtrumpforvets.com

I gave :10bux:

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
:patriot:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Edit: that was weird

Please make this op of here and debate thread.

greatn has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Jan 28, 2016

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Rocks posted:

Amazing that Huck and Santorum are attending. I hope a blimp crash incinerates the building.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
what is it with conservative political cartoonists and spanking fetishes

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

what is it with conservative political cartoonists and spanking fetishes

Conservatives are generally a little obsessed with punishment and inflicting pain on people they think deserve it, it's just the natural next step.

...also conservative political cartoonists have no sense of shame and are willing to actually project their sexual poo poo into their work.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Will this be streamed on right side broadcasting like a regular trump rally? or is it only on MSNBC?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

The Saurus posted:

Will this be streamed on right side broadcasting like a regular trump rally? or is it only on MSNBC?

An update on this:
CSPAN is showing the whole thing, starting with the warmup stuff at 8pm EST. MSNBC plans on covering 'portions,' including Trump's speech. CNN plans on treating it as a 'news event.' Coverage by the latter two will probably depend on what exactly is going on in the event.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I really hate these assholes. Obama has done exponentially more to help vets than Bush ever did, it's not even close.

That rear end :eyepop:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The Saurus posted:

C-SPAN is definitely covering it, not sure about the other outlets.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Sir Tonk posted:

I really hate these assholes. Obama has done exponentially more to help vets than Bush ever did, it's not even close.

Than who?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Debate and Trump event. I'm looking at my liquor cabinet conflicted on what the correct beverage for tonight should be.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Debate and Trump event. I'm looking at my liquor cabinet conflicted on what the correct beverage for tonight should be.

im drinking canadian club and coke

and jamessons and ginger ale

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Rocks posted:

Amazing that Huck and Santorum are attending. I hope they endorse Trump.

Hahaha this loving owns.

What are the chances Trump starts his own broadcasting company after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
i am pregaming for this stellar event

st bernardus pater 6, followed by cragganmore 12

• Locked thread