Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I finished the book, and I loved it. Which of his books should I read next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BattyKiara posted:

Depends what you like. I think two of his best are Foucault's Pendulum for conspiracy theories and Baudolino for more medieval ways of thinking. They both also deal with how (and why) we apply meanings to things and in that feel like the natural progression from Name of the Rose, which can also be read as semiotics 101.

The Prague Cemetery feels a bit like Pendulum for babies to me, but it's pretty good on its own and a much simpler book.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 23, 2016

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Need suggestions for next month.

High-Rise by JG Ballard, as the movie's just come out.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
I'd like to suggest Crimson Petal and the White, by Michael Faber.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

mcustic posted:

I may be a little off topic, but one of the great things about Focault's Pendulum for me was how it described Italian post WW2 politics on the margins of the main plot. Not as markedly as The Name of the Rose does with medieval Italian politics, but it was there.

Definitely, the ending after the events of the main story end is what really makes it. For me, the parts that dragged in Foucault's Pendulum are the middle parts, where they are constructing the mythos. The whole chapter that's just a chronology I basically skimmed, but even then the sheer amount of stuff like that elsewhere in the book makes it impressive. I don't think I know that much about anything and probably never will. Eco tends to be very daunting as a writer, which is what I think about often as I read, since I am an insane egomaniac

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zesty Mordant posted:

Definitely, the ending after the events of the main story end is what really makes it. For me, the parts that dragged in Foucault's Pendulum are the middle parts, where they are constructing the mythos. The whole chapter that's just a chronology I basically skimmed, but even then the sheer amount of stuff like that elsewhere in the book makes it impressive. I don't think I know that much about anything and probably never will. Eco tends to be very daunting as a writer, which is what I think about often as I read, since I am an insane egomaniac
Those are actually my favorite parts. I've done some historical research back at school and he perfectly captivates the amazing stories you can get by playing fast and loose with sources and it's exhilarating - making stories by connection, writing without actual writing.
That one bit about escapism by making history explode around you is amazingly powerful - might be just me being a goon but he caught that feeling perfectly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
For next month book recommendation s it really helps if you say something about the book and why you're recommending it.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For next month book recommendation s it really helps if you say something about the book and why you're recommending it.

From wikipedia:

quote:

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer is a 1985 literary historical cross-genre novel (originally published in German as Das Parfum) by German writer Patrick Süskind. The novel explores the sense of smell and its relationship with the emotional meaning that scents may carry. It is a story of identity, communication and the morality of the human spirit.

and from the New York Times Book Review:

quote:

PATRICK SUSKIND'S novel is a book of smells - the odors of history, in fact - and on the first page 18th-century Paris is anatomized into its component stinks. In its most fetid spot, beside a mephitic cemetery and beneath a fish stall, the hero of ''Perfume,'' Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, is born. But the point, the miraculous point, is that he has no smell at all. He is an orphan whose absence of body odor turns him, also, into an outcast - both damned and blessed, pariah and magician.

Grenouille himself is haunted by smells. He recognizes the odors of separate stones and of the varieties of water; he can locate even the most tremulous perfume from miles away; he can separate the simplest stench into its various elements - that of a human being, for example, being composed of cat feces, cheese and vinegar. As a child and young man, he survives as an outsider only through some stubborn instinct - deciding ''in favor of life out of sheer spite and sheer malice'' -but this means that in 18th-century France, in an age of ''reason'' and a time of ''progress,'' he is a barbaric intruder. For him, this is a world stripped bare of its more elegant trappings and organized around the one fundamental principle of smell.
Text:

His sole ambition is to become the greatest perfumer of all time; in order to conceal his own lack of odor he creates a perfume that ''did not smell like a scent, but like a human being who gives off a scent.'' He can even manufacture perfumes that create an exhalatory illusion, a phantom object lingering in the air. But his ambitions are fatal: not only does his company prove mortal to those who take him in, but there are precious scents that reside only in certain favored human beings and must, like blood, be sucked out.

This is one of my favorite books ever, and one of the reasons for that is it completely opened my mind to the realm of smell, which I had never really considered before. It's beautifully written, and taking place in 18th century France it cross sects with a lot of interesting history. Of all the books I've read it's totally totally unique in it's ability to draw you into the story by manipulating your memories of smells. Süskind is able to place you right there with the characters by utilizing a sense that gets neglected in almost all forms of media, probably because it's one of the hardest to communicate and the most ethereal to grasp, but Süskind transcends any of the perceived obstacles between the page and the reader. It's an amazing story, with amazing characters. I really can't recommend it enough.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I saw the film adaptation of Perfume, which was one of the most pretentious pieces of garbage I've ever seen. Doesn't mean much regarding the novel I just like talking about how Perfume is such a hugely lovely movie.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

knees of putty posted:

I'd like to suggest Crimson Petal and the White, by Michael Faber.

Faber seems to be able to communicate the underlying stresses of community and relationships. I've read under the skin and book of strange new things, and both were in the Atwood tradition of literary sci-fi and rather brilliant. Crimson Petal and the White is a different genre entirely, being talked about as a Victorian/Dickensian novel using the voice of the 21st C. I think Faber's background of Dutch/Austrialian/Scottish gives him a particular perspective of live unrooted in one location and more able to speak about universal values, whilst being able to drive a plot along.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I thought Perfume was absolutely garbage to be honest, although I have to confess I did not finish it. My main complaint is that the author thinks his readers are stupid so he explains everything. Instead of "this guy managed to find this hidden thing" you have "this guy managed to find this hidden thing, you see, he has extremely good sense of smell, so he could smell that hidden thing and find it while other people wouldn't have been able to find it, as normal people's sense of smell is not as good as the sense of smell of this guy". And that every single time his sense of smell matters (hint: a lot). Or that's how I remember it anyway, as a good example of how not to do "show, don't tell".

For a recommendation, I still think Elena Ferrante's "My Brilliant Friend" would be ok, as there seem to plenty of people who have read it already and found it extremely good. (me including) We'd have an Italian author two months in a row though. edit: we could also discuss her view of "a book does not need its author after it's written".

By the way, I read the name of the rose a year ago, it was pretty good, but I didn't really believe/understand the motivation of the bad guy.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 26, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
He's arguing that spreading humor that's been approved by authority would destroy the world as they knows it, living the medieval way. It was an awfully serious age.
He's got a point there; totalitarian regimes really don't take political jokes well.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 26, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I've been slacking off, but I enjoyed the ruminations on the outcasts of society.

And I don't know what it is in English, but probably my favourite quote: "Do not believe in reforms of humanity when they're being discussed in courts and curias."

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 27, 2016

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

I thought Perfume was absolutely garbage to be honest, although I have to confess I did not finish it. My main complaint is that the author thinks his readers are stupid so he explains everything. Instead of "this guy managed to find this hidden thing" you have "this guy managed to find this hidden thing, you see, he has extremely good sense of smell, so he could smell that hidden thing and find it while other people wouldn't have been able to find it, as normal people's sense of smell is not as good as the sense of smell of this guy". And that every single time his sense of smell matters (hint: a lot). Or that's how I remember it anyway, as a good example of how not to do "show, don't tell".

For a recommendation, I still think Elena Ferrante's "My Brilliant Friend" would be ok, as there seem to plenty of people who have read it already and found it extremely good. (me including) We'd have an Italian author two months in a row though. edit: we could also discuss her view of "a book does not need its author after it's written".

By the way, I read the name of the rose a year ago, it was pretty good, but I didn't really believe/understand the motivation of the bad guy.

This whole post is blasphemy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I was a lame baby and didn't get a poll up in time (we really needed more suggestions anyway) so next will probably be Kipling's Plain Tales from the Hills unless lightning strikes and changes my mind.

It's very well-written, very controversial so hopefully will spark good discussion, mostly short stories so easy to digest, and free to download.

(Those of you who suggested, don't worry, I'll remember your suggestions for the next poll).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Walh Hara posted:

I think it's a motivation that makes sense from the vantage point of the medieval monk.

It's also about fundamentally different views of the purpose of knowledge (Jorge's sermon is on point here, where he says all knowledge is already revealed in the Bible and everything else is either a gloss on that or unnecessary, vs William 's view as the dawn of scientific, analytical reasoning).. And on a metatextual level, we can look at the library as representative of worldly knowledge, and the conflict as about two attitudes towards the use and purpose of knowledge, but I'm kinda reflexively suspicious of purely symbolic readings like that, they seem too pat, even when the book is written by a semiotician.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
So we're going from an Englishman in historical Italy to an Englishman in historical India? I like it.

Almost finished the Name of the Rose, and it's giving me a serious Warhammer vibe. Was it ever cited as inspiration for the fluff?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BattyKiara posted:

Probably Foucault's Pendulum. It's a more challenging read but still a good exciting story. Basically Foucault's Pendulum is to Dan Brown as Kurosawa is to Michael Bay.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

An interesting article about how Eco inspired open-world games: https://killscreen.com/articles/umberto-eco-and-his-legacy-in-open-world-games/

quote:

The Name of the Rose was built around a similar twist of interpretation. A monk detective hypothesizes that a series of unconnected murders in an abbey are being inspired by the events of the Seven Days of Revelation. But when he voices this erroneous theory, another monk is inspired to see the pattern through to its bloody end. This marks a common theme in both Eco’s fiction and his philosophical work: our interpretations of the world are necessary tools for making sense of it, but fixing onto these beliefs as if they revealed the true nature of things can be dangerous. The world is always more chaotic than the order our closed systems of signs impose.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Eco ever read a CYOA book.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 5, 2016

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

anilEhilated posted:

I wonder if Eco ever read a CYOA book.

Not only did he read one, he wrote one -- Foucault's Pendulum. You just have to study it really carefully to see the branch points and page directions.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Not only did he read one, he wrote one -- Foucault's Pendulum. You just have to study it really carefully to see the branch points and page directions.

Is this some kind of a meta joke meant to waste all of my free time for the next few weeks?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mcustic posted:

Is this some kind of a meta joke meant to waste all of my free time for the next few weeks?
Yeah. I mean, sure, the story is told in a non-chronological fashion but that's not exactly new. Admittedly, I don't think I ever tried to read it in an order based on the sephirotic tree...

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

mcustic posted:

It's in there. It just takes some work to find. Amazing Eco was able to do it, but it's undeniable.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It's in there. It just takes some work to find. Amazing Eco was able to do it, but it's undeniable.

Hope I make it before Winds of Winter is published.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Elaborate, drat your eyes.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

mdemone posted:

Elaborate, drat your eyes.

Diotallevi posted:

If this machine give you the truth immediately, you would not recognize it, because your heart would not have been purified by the long quest.

Edit: I suppose that's not fair -- I needed prompting and a little help before the patterns made any sense. PM me and I'll get you started.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 8, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Could you just post some starting hint here? I'm interested as well and don't have PMs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The secret is in the numbers.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 8, 2016

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Start with:

Foucault's Pendulum posted:

"I am remembering now (as I remembered then) in order to make sense out of the chaos of that misguided creation of ours ..."

If that's not enough, then in addition to the actual written numbers, it's important to correlate the relationship between letters and numbers in Kaballah with the ten Sefirot. Once I got that straightened out it made a lot more sense. This is more than enough to get it started; it's all I told mdemone and the furthest I'll elaborate here, since the earlier quote from Diotavelli really is correct.

Lankiveil
Feb 23, 2001

Forums Minimalist
So, my copy of this has arrived from Book Depository just today. Sigh.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Could you just post some starting hint here? I'm interested as well and don't have PMs.

I imagine it has something to do with the 22 paths of the Tree of Life, which connect the sephiroth from #10 Malkuth up to #1 Kether. Each path is represented by a letter in the Hebrew alphabet, which is in turn also a number.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, there goes the rest of this year.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Well, there goes the rest of this year.

You could spend the rest of your life studying the qabalah. The whole point of it is that you can bend and twist just about anything to fit within it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Pendulum has some points to make about that. I mainly meant it as a commentary at my limited puzzle-solving abilities. Still, discovering a new facet of a book I love should be highly enjoyable.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Well that was pretty fun to read. I know he claims in the postscript that he just wanted to write a good story, but I really enjoyed the ongoing debate around semiotics, nominalism and science/belief. The fear when Gui arrived was palpable - a frightening parenthesis, but kind of amusing also that he disappears almost immediately after the trial, basically shrugging his shoulders about anything else once he'd got his men. I did rather like the joke about him essentially creating the motive for the murders as a byproduct of his hypotheses and when the abbey burns, Jorge wins, despite William understanding everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
The last several weeks have been completely hosed as far as reading time goes, but I finally finished this. On the positive side I got to savour it in small chunks.

It must be twenty years or more since the first time I read this book, over ten years since the last time, and I've held it as my "if I had to pick just one favourite book..." all along. This reread has done absolutely nothing to change that, what a complete pleasure it was to revisit. Furthermore I've studied some Latin and stuff in the intervening time and this definitely did not hurt either.

• Locked thread