Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

Decebal posted:

How can someone even get hooked on alcohol ? You have to drink so much! The hangovers themselves are a natural break on your drinking.

The horrible migraine the next day would make me not want to drink for several days.

It's like hearing that someone got addicted to huffing gasoline.

Not an alcoholic but you can get used to hangovers if you really want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

noctambulous nebab posted:

Not an alcoholic but you can get used to hangovers if you really want to.

That's the thing though, why got through all that work just for that alcohol "high" ? Being drunk is not my favorite feeling so I guess I never understood someone actually looking forward to it.

Alcohol is something you do when there's nothing better around. Like eating McDonald's if you're rally hungry and there's not a better option, but to say "I can't wait to get some McDonals" is so lame

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

Decebal posted:

That's the thing though, why got through all that work just for that alcohol "high" ? Being drunk is not my favorite feeling so I guess I never understood someone actually looking forward to it.

Alcohol is something you do when there's nothing better around. Like eating McDonald's if you're rally hungry and there's not a better option, but to say "I can't wait to get some McDonals" is so lame

Simple: alcohol makes you happy. If you believe that it reinforces the effect. Alcoholics are getting what they want.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

I passed out in a bar the other night but I woke up at home in bed because my friends take care of me. Get better friends, unless you're waking up in their yRds or something then idk

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Decebal posted:

Its exactly as retarded as you're describing, except if mcdonalds made music sound better and people easier to talk to because you're a shy person who is probably a narcissist afraid of failure when sober. And I think that nails most drunks. Mostly it covers up all the crap the e/n people gnash their teeth over but digs the well much quicker because of your retard strength. In short, it is a magical liquid that so few of you use to its full potential. Great secrets await. I bet you'd never even look at another mans yard, let alone choose it as your sleeping ground.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

"Getting women" as if they are objects to do what? gently caress them and forget about it? Some life. "Getting women" improves your social status amongst those who hi-five people for being "playa"s. Who gives a drat about being more social amongst those vapid wastes of food and employment?

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

im serious, Video games are a great way to have fun, and enjoy things that are availible to you in life. Not only this, but the making of a game is an art form - by playing through, say, an RPG, you are treated to a grand story that is just overwhelmingly more fufilling than going out, loving some chick, hi-fiving yourself and calling it a night.

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

basement jihadist posted:

im serious, Video games are a great way to have fun, and enjoy things that are availible to you in life. Not only this, but the making of a game is an art form - by playing through, say, an RPG, you are treated to a grand story that is just overwhelmingly more fufilling than going out, loving some chick, hi-fiving yourself and calling it a night.

You know what makes gaming feel fresh and new? Marijuana

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot
gently caress you probably already knew that

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

yes unless i become THTG (too high to game)

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
weed gives you superpowers in games trust me on this

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

yes unless i become THTG (too high to game)

Is this due to being too hosed up to perform simple mechanical actions or the common effect of marijuana to question whatever you are doing?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Decebal posted:

How can someone even get hooked on alcohol ? You have to drink so much! The hangovers themselves are a natural break on your drinking.

The horrible migraine the next day would make me not want to drink for several days.

A serious drinker will start his day with a morning beer or maybe a real breakfast like a Bloody Mary if feeling fancy. The hangover is your cue to drink more, certainly not a break.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

You should post in tcc's addiction/recovery thread, its mostly alcoholics and the people there will actually have good advice and experience to share

E: also, read this, to learn how you will die of you keep drinking http://www.endofshiftreport.com/2015/07/liver-failure-101-or-how-that-one.html?m=1

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 19, 2016

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

ive been to rehab and ive been to aa meetings and the only thing that actually got me to stop drinking was me wanting for myself to stop drinking. its easy as hell if you actually want to stop, even if you drink a bunch every day

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

doverhog posted:

A serious drinker will start his day with a morning beer or maybe a real breakfast like a Bloody Mary if feeling fancy. The hangover is your cue to drink more, certainly not a break.

I guess I should feel lucky that I have such a lovely time after I get drunk then. Kept me from going down that rabbit hole. I still smoke a lot of weed though

I just look for the best high vs. damage to my body - and that's how you choose your consciousness altering substance.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
No one gets out of this life alive. You get to choose the way you go out. :buddy:

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

im pooping! posted:

ive been to rehab and ive been to aa meetings and the only thing that actually got me to stop drinking was me wanting for myself to stop drinking. its easy as hell if you actually want to stop, even if you drink a bunch every day

no true scotsman

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
The rehab most insurance will pay for unless you're rich is just a bunch of parole/probation violators doing 14-28 days of penance for getting caught.

It's punishment, not a place to get better.

If you feel like you need a place to dry up for a few weeks away from everything else, it could still work, but it's on you. They're not going to fix you.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
do cocaine while you drink it allows you to keep control and stay conscious better

Leonard Ghostal
Apr 26, 2006
Have you tried the bold, smooth flavor of a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 super premium Kentucky bourbon?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
hey Iron Prince its your buddy JiveHonky, I went through a really dark time in my life after my 1st wife and I got divorced. I was living by myself in a little apartment in Glendale and I was lonely and heartbroken. I started drinking a lot to deal with my emotional problems. Some nights I would get super drunk and wander around the streets doing random weird stuff like I stole a kids bike out of someones yard and rode it around for a while and then tossed into another persons yard, another time someone had left their garage open and i stole a bag of old remote controls. Sometimes I would walk to a nearby shopping center and throw shopping carts around.

But thats not the worst of it, sometimes i would get in my car and go for a drive. This was extremely dangerous and I am lucky i didnt kill someone or myself. It was stupid and reckless and I will never do it again but at the time I just didnt care what happened to me.

My sister got worried about me and moved out west to keep an eye on me and since then I have almost stopped drinking completely and I'm a real lightweight so even if I do drink its like 1 or 2 beers and i'm done.

A long trip just to say being drunk isnt worth it. You dont need the booze, you need to work on the thing about yourself that makes you want to drink and you'll be able to back off of it.

Sorry you are going through this, get help if you think you need it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

someusername posted:

The rehab most insurance will pay for unless you're rich is just a bunch of parole/probation violators doing 14-28 days of penance for getting caught.

It's punishment, not a place to get better.
Idk man sobering up for 14-28 days is generally the first step of getting better

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Op, have you considered that you're boring and have no personality if you aren't drink

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Volume posted:

Op, have you considered that you're boring and have no personality if you aren't drink

that's why I drink. my personality is boring af unless you want to talk about dumb nerd poo poo or chemistry

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Volume posted:

This guy makes a good point, better keep drinking. :)

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

TheShazbot posted:

that's why I drink. my personality is boring af unless you want to talk about dumb nerd poo poo or chemistry

you know chemistry ? you could make a lot of interesting and fun RC's

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"Getting women" as if they are objects to do what? gently caress them and forget about it? Some life. "Getting women" improves your social status amongst those who hi-five people for being "playa"s. Who gives a drat about being more social amongst those vapid wastes of food and employment?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i banged a really fat girl last night

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

paul_soccer10 posted:

i banged a really fat girl last night

You couldn't tell because of the burka ?

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Decebal posted:

you know chemistry ? you could make a lot of interesting and fun RC's

i could. but alot of the materials required would either put me on a watch list or are tightly controlled

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Decebal posted:

every hear of acetaminophen buddy??? just cruise right through that hangover.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
bro let me level with ya. ive been addicted to every drug under the sun which sent me to detox, rehab, jail and prison. what really worked for me was accepting that i was a sel-destructive depressive and a heartbreaking failure to my family and then just keep that party train rollin :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

every hear of acetaminophen buddy??? just cruise right through that hangover.

And give my poor liver another devastating blow ?! No way . aspirin or NSAIDs all the way

• Locked thread