Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hearts: "poo poo!" She sees you pulling out a knife and goes all in. When you stab her, she yelps in surprise and tries to cut you back. Not the kind of surprise you'd expect from someone getting stabbed, but just a general shout. "Ah gently caress," she says while stumbling back. She looks up, and then suddenly backs away even furthur, her grin growing even wider.

While you were in this fight paying close attention to make sure Dog Head didn't win, the security had taken their guns out and are all pointing them at you. The patrons scrambled away, hit the floor, got behind cover - basically leaving them room for error in gunning you down. Queenie glares at you and Saffron. "Yes, we're supposed to keep it outside but Hearts here was clearly going for her gun first. Seems like security agrees with me." She moves her gaze to Hearts. "I could overlook this if you're willing to help cover the cost of getting Anastasia the care she might need." Are you going to give in, or risk angering Queenie? What do you do?

Saffron: Well, Queenie and the security could pose a problem. If it came down to it, who would you side with? Hearts, or the Time Machine? What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Hard =0 | Cool +2 | Hot -1 | Sharp +2 | Weird -1
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 1/5 | 1-barter

Hmmm. Judging by the way he looked at my assistants, he probably wants to discuss whatever this "interesting matter" of his without them around. I should press him on, but he's right, I should finish up on my work first before we start talking. I get up, and say to Preacher, "Make yourself comfortable, Preacher, you might have to wait a while. Also, don't forget to prepare my payment once I'm done."

I return to the operating room, and set myself off to work again with my two assistants. I lean in closer to them, and whisper, in a low, conspiratorial tone, "Keep an eye on him, but don't be too obvious. Tell me the moment you see him do anything suspicious."

Spending a few hours to get information about Million's illness.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Daytona: "No, not really. So just a chance encounter? You sure about that?" His voice stays calm, but his fingers are moving around. You telling him about the raiders has made him nerveous. He was obviously hoping you weren't going to say yes to his question, and also is hoping you're going to confirm it was just some random raiders. What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Cool +2 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm 0:00 | Experience 0/5 | Barter 3

"Well..." I close my eyes for a second, looking thoughtful. "They were pretty chatty before they died, I don't remember anything that sounded like it wasn't chance, but the only other option is that they were after that thing," I point my thumb over my shoulder towards the canister being carried off. "But I couldn't tell you if anything they said had to do with that since I don't know what it is. Nothing obvious came up though."

Spending Hold, how can I get Ill to tell me what it is?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Cool: +3 | Hard: 0 | Hot: +1 | Sharp: +1 | Weird: -1
Harm: 3:00 | Experience: 1/5 | Barter: 3

Well ain't this just great. Between Saffron stepping in and her armor, Dog Head gets to live another day, only earning herself a wound that's likely to leave an ugly scar for her troubles. And speaking of troubles...

Lotta security around here - lotta people I've helped before - pointing guns at me about now, and there's Queen being awfully smug about this whole thing. She should be careful about that. I may not care about a lot, but sometimes I'll admit to it feeling awfully nice to settle a grudge. For now though, not much chance a' that in the short-term - can't fight this many without a lot of effort and chance of dying over something dumb. Not really the way I want to go out.

"This sure got outta hand," I observe drly, sliding my knife back into the sheath sewn into my skirt. "Finished a job for the hold, heard trouble, came in to help like I'm known to - wanted a weapon at hand, suddenly had one at my throat." Pretty well sums up my side of things. Looking around the place and clearly unarmed at this point, I know I'm scary but everyone can put their drat guns down about now. "But sure, might as well help out a second twice today. I'll take care of her care or whatever, gently caress it."

(Guess I lose barter or something?)

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Daytona: "Hmm." He seems to be thinking over it. "Do you remember what they said? Although if nothing stuck out, I guess we really don't have anything to worry about." He seems to be concerned on how La Duke might process this - if you could give him some reason to believe that telling you would help her out he probably would. But then he'd probably also tell her that you now know too. What do you do?

Hearts: "Good. I'm glad you're being sensible about this." As you hand over some of your valuables to her, you see Dog Head looking very happy with herself despite the wound you gave her.

Pay 1 Barter to Queenie

Now that things have been settled, sort of, you can see everyone is relaxing. Security is still keeping an eye on you, but everyone else is starting to head back to talking to each other and waiting to see the new exhibit. You and Saffron can leave now. What do you do?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Hard =0 | Cool =0 | Hot +2 | Sharp =0 | Weird +1
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 2/5 | 1-barter

Yeah, I gotta say, there are definitely days where I wonder about the Time Machine. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's got a great kitchen and Jackie is pretty drat good as bosses go. But Queenie? I'd slip her something rancid in a heartbeat. Or would if it wasn't against everything I stood for, anyways. She just rubs me in exactly the wrong way. Hearts managed to talk her down, though, and it doesn't look like things are going to erupt into more violence. Not tonight. I settle for looking incredibly disgruntled at Queenie and her hangers-on disperse back into the party.

I kiss Hearts on the cheek, and murmur in her ear, "Thanks for holding back, Hearts. I can whip you up a little something-something in the kitchen if you're hungry, or we can... well, Birdie can finish things up here."

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Harm: 3:00 | Experience: 1/5 | Barter: 3 2

Well, Queenie and Dog Head are dead. I mean, all of us are - but them now sooner than they would have been otherwise. I mean, I may not care about a lot, but wanna know what Redbeard taught me? "Never let anyone think they've beaten ya', they'll do it again for fun soon after if you do Hearts." They hosed that up.

So yeah... it's a bummer, but I gotta kill some folk soon - or at least break 'em publicly. Could be worse... they could deserve better, but luckily they don't. "Ha, yeah... enjoy yourselves," I recommend to both Queenie and Dog Head, tipping them a poo poo salute as part of it. There may be some folks coming after me, but meh - I'm gonna die sooner or later, near certainly sooner. I've accepted that. Sure would be nice to take a couple assholes with me before I go though.

Though, as I sit up at the stool I've seated myself on, I'm greeted by a lovely sight - Saffron, leaning forward to kiss me on the cheek. I accept it, looking neutral as the most beautiful woman in the holdfast makes her affections clear. Hmmm, those are some good options she's provided me. My blood's up now, so both food and loving sound great.

"Heh, nearly got killed twice today - pretty average, actually" I brag to my lover, confident in my position now. Without a dozen folks aiming guns at me, no one fucks with me or those close to me. Heh... pretty sure a bunch of jerks that want to massacre everyone between me and them will descend on this place soon. I'd mention that... if I wasn't planning on keeping it secret between me and Saffron.

"I'm hungry, but I got my priorities in order..." By which I mean I'm thirsty. Leaning forward and nipping at her neck passionately, I grin. "And first up is /you/. Hope you're rested up~"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 0:00 | Experience: 2/5 | 1-barter

A smile crosses my face as Hearts starts working on my neck, "Twice in one day? They never learn, do they? I can't imagine living such an..." A sigh escapes me as Hearts continues her work. "...exciting life." On the other hand, the advantages of eating right and sleeping in a warm bed did come in handy when it came to lasting during... certain activities. I pull her up from the stool and bring her in close, my finger playing across her exposed midriff, "Don't worry about me, though, I've got a few tricks up my sleeve. Let's head up to the loft and I'll show you just what I can do."

A jaunty wave to Birdie causes her face to pale, stutter out an excuse to the no-name thug she was talking to, and run back into the kitchen. It won't be the greatest feast the Time Machine has seen, but she's good enough with a knife to keep this lot happy. I'll just have to mention the salt on the way back through the kitchen. I need to pick up the Book, after all, can't just leave that lying around and I live above the place anyways. As we walk across the floor, I can feel the eyes on us as a bubble opens up. A lot of jealousy, sure, and more than a little fear. Suits me just fine. It's no secret that half of the raiders here would snatch me if they had a chance, just to experience what I gave Hearts.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 27, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

"Hmm..." I stop to think again for a moment, then look up at him again, "Most of it was the usual bandit talk, but... Ah!" Oh yeah! I did forget about a bit of it, "After Hearts killed a couple but ended up exposed, they said they just wanted us to hand over what we'd got - so they weren't just raiding, or they'd have been fine killing us." I shrug slightly, "But they might have tried that anyway, say they wanted our stuff then try to kill us once we'd handed over if it was a normal raid. Sorry, I guess that's not really clearing anything up."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Doc Irons: Patches does most of the work keeping an eye on Preacher, who waits with a calm face. As you and your assistants work on figuring out what's wrong, Preacher mostly stays where he's supposed to - Patches reports that he's mainly just pacing back and forth while you do your work. But...it seems like she might have more thoughts on it. However she doesn't say anything out loud and you have to get to work right away.

So after countless hours of looking through various books, trying to figure out what it could be, how it could have happened, talking to Millions when it works...you've finally figured out the problem and the cause. She reported having slight problems shortly after eating, but only after being interviewed by you does she recall it showing up then - she ate, didn't really feel anything noticeable, and the pain went up shortly afterwards. She did a usual day of work in the Sin Palace, until she couldn't anymore.

Patches manages to get a scrape of something from her mouth, and by analyzing it reveals that it's dried blood. Not just any blood - blood from a mace skunk. Those things aren't supposed to be inside Bastion, and Millions says she hasn't been outside. So someone put it in her food. Says something about the quality of food that she didn't notice blood in it. Anyway, there's no way the person who did this wasn't aware something bad would happen. The problem is, Millions has no way of knowing who did it.

The other problem is helping her. You know now what's up - good! But you need to get the supplies required. The person who did this might have an antidote on hand, but not only would you have to figure out who did it but how to get them to give it up. You could also try to get an antidote yourself, but that would require going out of Bastion and finding a mace-skunk. Not too hard, but getting enough supplies to create an antidote could be tough.

So there it is. What do you do?

Daytona: "Hmm." III thinks for a moment. "Well maybe you're right." He pauses again. "Although...maybe you could talk to La Duke about it? If you're willing to work for her some more, she might be willing to let you in on what you brought over here. If that's something you're interested in?" Are you interested in becoming part of La Duke's crew or are you willing to let this go? What do you do?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Harm: 3:00 | Experience: 2/5 | Barter: 3 2

Thanks to Hearts being a Battlebae (deliberate), there is no mechanical effect when their sex moves trigger.

Let's just say that Saffron's skills aren't limited to cooking, and leave things at that. Wearing less than I usually do - by which I mean nothing - I'm enjoying lounging around with Saffron in her loft. At this point, I think she's half the reason I keep coming back to this Hold. This place, this room, her... it's just, I dunno, stable. Pleasant. Satiating. Back in the old days, Redbeard had a whole fort for us, and all of us had our own rooms, our own things, but they're gone. For these days, this is great. I don't care about anything or anyone, really, but that said... you'd have to be tremendously, suicidally stupid to hurt Saffron while I'm able to retaliate.

Stretching out in her bed like a predatory cat, obviously rather content at the moment, I grin at my raven-haired girl. "Mhhhmmm... been looking forward to that all day. Almost be worth going to sleep right now - if I wasn't so hungry, anyways." Arms already wrapped around Saffron, I hug her even tighter. "You being about the best chef ever," I think that's above cook, "is pretty drat appealing, I gotta say. Not that that's the only thing I find attractive about you of course~"

Sadly all good things gotta come to an end, and when we eventually rise back outta Saffron's bed, her getting back in her gear and me into mine... and then reequipping almost all of my knives - the others had been stowed in her bed when she wasn't looking, since I gotta be cautious, but I've retrieved those already - and slinging Sword back over my shoulders. "Heh, so, keep this to yourself..." I whisper. "But there may be trouble coming for me. Worse 'an usual. Not sure what to do about it... don't wanna leave here, don't want the few people here that aren't poo poo getting hurt." It's been distracting me the whole time I was with her, to be honest, though I keep trying to tell myself it's hunger. Whoever killed Redbeard's after me, and there's no reason for it really... he's dead, his gang's done, I'm barely doing a drat thing in some backwater hold. Why're they still after me?

<Rauri> Hearts Open Brain to Maelstrom aka fail
<Rauri> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 2-1 = 1
<ArbitraryTA> Wow
<Rauri> not ideal, worth xp
Buckling up~

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hearts: As you think on this, letting the maelstrom into your mind, you begin to see...things. You see Redbeard from your memories. You see Redbeard, dead, from someone else's memories. You see yourself, from someone else's memories. You see the raiders you and Daytona killed, from the memory of someone talking to them. You see this person slip the locket you found into the pocket of one of the raiders, unknown to the raider.

And then suddenly you begin seeing Saffron - all your memories of her. Of being with her - and a sudden burst of the maelstrom going through your mind...and then they're gone. "Mine now," you hear before the maelstrom leaves and you come back to yourself with Saffron. What do you do?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 0:00 | Experience: 3/5 | 1-barter

Mmmm. Yeah, that was just what I needed to get my mind off of things downstairs. I'd had enough weird messages, attempts at poisoning people, and stand-offs to fill any given week. When I was with Hearts, it all just seemed to make sense. She played it straight. No games. Judging by the growling I was hearing, she was either part-tiger -- wouldn't surprise me after a performance like that -- or about to keel over from hunger. Either way, I think I can fulfill her every desire.

As the two of us lie in bed, still tangled, I giggle at her compliments, "I have my moments. Got a few new tricks in the kitchen that should blow your mind. I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of them."

The mood turns a little more serious as she reveals her worries. That fit. The coming storm that the book talked about. The reason that I needed all that blood. What I was supposed to do with it was a mystery. I sure as hell hoped it wasn't supposed to be for something like what Dog Head did to Grit. Food and drink, that was... It's just kind of sacred, you know? The one goddamn thing that we still had to bring us all together. Someone who doesn't hold to that is no chef. Not even human.

I take Hearts's hand and squeeze it, "If there's anything I can do to help..." I'm no fighter, not like Hearts, but I wasn't about to let her slip away. I'd do whatever I could to help. "...maybe get some of the regulars on board? They're a rowdy bunch, but not so bad in a fight."

I can see her eyes lose focus for a second -- there's a chill in the air. Something's wrong. Something's really wrong. I don't know what it is, can't quite put my finger on it. I can feel the start of tears coming to my eyes, "Hearts? Are you okay?"

quote:

11:48 AM <Tricky> Saffron reads Hearts
11:48 AM <Tricky> !r 2d6
11:48 AM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 5 =

Spending my hold to ask "What is Hearts really feeling?" +XP and a hard move.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Hard =0 | Cool +2 | Hot -1 | Sharp +2 | Weird -1
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 1/5 | 1-barter

Mace skunk blood, of course. I had a feeling it would something close to that. There's no way this could have been an accident. Someone deliberately poisoned her. I could press her further, but no, it's better to let her rest for now, let the anesthetics do their work.

Now I'm left with another problem; finding the cure. I have two options; option 1) Find who did this, and hope they have the antidote on them, or 2) Leave the Bastion, and catch a live mace skunk, as well as gather the other supplies I need from the wasteland. Option 1 has less risk attached to it, but finding who did it in a city of thousands would be... difficult, and while it might stand to reason that they have an antidote on hand, just in case they've exposed themselves to the poison, there's no guarantee they'd actually have it.

Option 2 is far more dangerous. It would mean exposing myself to bandits, and the wildlife. However, finding the supplies I need will be a lot easier.

No matter which choice I make, I know one thing for sure; I can't do this alone. I'm going to need the help of another to get this done. Hearts, maybe? Daytonna? I'll check with both of them, and run my choices through them to get their input.

Now to get another problem out of the way. I make my way to Preacher, and sit beside him. "It's mace skunk poisoning. Someone put mace skunk blood in her food, and before you ask, I don't know who it is. I'll get to work on creating an antidote, but first," I lower my voice to a conspiratorial whisper, "We should discuss the matters you wanted to talk to me about. If you wish, we can discuss it in private in my studies." My study room might be small, and a little cramped, but it should do if he wants to talk to me without my two assistants around.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I'm not joining anyone's gang. That's not on any table, anywhere, any time. "Well, I'm curious enough about it that I'd be willing to give her a job or two discounted. If you think that'd be enough?" Discounted work for the sake of my curiosity is one thing, and a very different one from joining a gang. I won't tie myself down for anyone, cept Doc, and her only a little. "If not, no big deal, it'll just be one more mystery I ain't getting the answer to."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Doc Irons: "Sounds like a fine place to talk." He gets up and heads to the study room with you. When you two get there and sit down, he sighs. "Yes, I was hoping it wasn't something deliberate." He looks at you. "You're quite the doctor. Able to do almost anything. So they say. I trust you have some idea on how to deal with it. As for the other matter..." He pauses, and then takes on a more serious tone. "How close an eye have you kept on Patches? I noticed she came in with quite a lot of materials. For creating things? Experiments? Whatever. I assume you don't pay for them, or most of them. Because your assistant has been stealing things from the various shops and bars and what have you and trading them in with the merchants who come through. Some of these people are not the kind you want going after her for thievery. Figure that should be helpful to you - no one knows who it is so you got time to deal with it. And hopefully remember I came to you and told you this out of the goodness of my heart instead of telling the others who it is." What do you think of what he's saying? What do you do?

Daytona: III looks kind of disappointed that you didn't take the offer but nods. "All right. Well, if you change your mind just let me know." Where do you head to now?

• Locked thread