Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
I was going to switch out all my incandescent bulbs for LEDs, switch to high-efficiency appliances and a smaller fridge, and replace my baseboard heaters with mini-split heat pumps, but I didn't want my power company to think I'd just installed solar.

LOL, literally LOL if you think this is anything but a cheap ploy to prevent people from becoming independent from the grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

FedEx Mercury posted:

Nuke is cool and I'm for it, but we seriously gotta figure out a better solution for the waste than just burying it and hoping for the best.

Yeah a lot of 'waste' is actually pretty useful stuff if we can ever undo JC's executive order obliterating reprocessing. As for whats left?

Transmutation annihilation! Just rolls off the tongue.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pendragon posted:

According to the wikipedia article they were looking ahead to 2022 when they would have to meet the post-Fukushima earthquake and tsunami restrictions, and they realized that it wasn't economically feasible to fix the turbines and do all the work they'd need to do to meet the new restrictions.

yeah but, they're loving liars who thought it would just be easier to decommission the thing and crank the rates up 30%+ :shrug:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 2, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

to be fair, and this is all i'll say because it's giving malicious people way too much credit, the nuclear reactors we use are really old tech that creates a lot of toxic byproducts and while modern equipment is reasonably safe and meltdowns are difficult, when that poo poo happens it's disastrous (obviously). Nobody seems interested in making modern reactors in the US though

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
look if the reactor is unsafe then yeah that should be addressed

but I mean look at it from my point of view; these people a) ignored obvious issues in favor of rush installing the turbines, then when the turbines didn't work they said eh, screw it and b) shut down the reactor instead and then c) decided to pass on the enormous cost of decommissioning to the customers and I now pay 30% more across the board between that and the higher cost per kW/hr

the only people to come out of this happy are the Edison shareholders, who have seen their assets balloon.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 2, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mordin honestly that's how business basically always gets done in this country. All our infrastructure is a lovely rush job either done based on lowest cost possible, or inflated to line pockets and keep unecessary jobs in districts, and it takes really powerful people to get that stuff done while stepping on the toes of the private utility monopolies.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

Mordin honestly that's how business basically always gets done in this country. All our infrastructure is a lovely rush job either done based on lowest cost possible, or inflated to line pockets and keep unecessary jobs in districts, and it takes really powerful people to get that stuff done while stepping on the toes of the private utility monopolies.

yeah but it's some goddamn bullshit :(

the only people suffering for the company's mistakes are the customers who have no other choice in the matter because it is a utility with a natural monopoly.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

Pawn 17 posted:

Science is fake op

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hatebag posted:

It's not a decision born of malice.

No but the decision to install the steam turbines that had obvious glaring issues their engineers tried to point out was absolutely born of greed, as was the decision to make the customer pay for that mistake by making them bear the brunt of the decommission cost.

Also nuclear waste isn't as scary as you guys think it is. There's more hazardous poo poo (radioactives, heavy metals, etc) just getting flung into the environment willy nilly courtesy of coal plants every day - meanwhile nuke plants don't cause pollution.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/nuclear-fuel-cycle/nuclear-wastes/radioactive-wastes-myths-and-realities.aspx

quote:

Most nuclear wastes produced are hazardous, due to their radioactivity, for only a few tens of years and are routinely disposed in near-surface disposal facilities. A small volume of nuclear waste (~3% volume of total waste produced) is long-lived and highly radioactive and requires isolation from the environment for many thousands of years.

In fact, the radioactivity of nuclear wastes naturally decays progressively and has a finite radiotoxic lifetime. The radioactivity of high-level wastes decays to the level of an equivalent amount of original mined uranium ore in between 1,000 and 10,000 years. Its hazard then depends on how concentrated it is. Compare this to other industrial wastes (e.g. heavy metals such as cadmium and mercury), which remain hazardous indefinitely.

And that ~3% volume is tiny and also we get better and better at building plants that don't have that (modern stuff re-uses the more radioactive byproduct iirc).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 2, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What if we just made a giant solar panel in space and tethered it with power lines? A big kite making electricity out of sweet free sunshine.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

FedEx Mercury posted:

What if we just made a giant solar panel in space and tethered it with power lines? A big kite making electricity out of sweet free sunshine.

That's already what kites do you dummy

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

No but the decision to install the steam turbines that had obvious glaring issues their engineers tried to point out was absolutely born of greed, as was the decision to make the customer pay for that mistake by making them bear the brunt of the decommission cost.

Also nuclear waste isn't as scary as you guys think it is. There's more hazardous poo poo (radioactives, heavy metals, etc) just getting flung into the environment willy nilly courtesy of coal plants every day - meanwhile nuke plants don't cause pollution.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/nuclear-fuel-cycle/nuclear-wastes/radioactive-wastes-myths-and-realities.aspx

And that ~3% volume is tiny and also we get better and better at building plants that don't have that (modern stuff re-uses the more radioactive byproduct iirc).

I agree the plant seems to have been incompetently run. I think all power plants should be run by the government because the consequences of failure are so far-reaching that profit motives cannot be trusted to make correct management decisions.

Nuclear waste is regulated the way it is because of risk-based modelling. Everything is based on how many additional premature deaths various types of exposure would cause and alot of assumptions made in risk assessment are conservative because you really don't wanna lowball it and have unexpected extra deaths. Whether or not this is reasonable is debatable but regulations are regulations and the money has to come from somewhere.

FedEx Mercury posted:

Better yet, have it shoot a bigass laser to transmit electricity.

Hatebag fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 6, 2016

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

:bahgawd: Global warmins a hoax created by hippie bullshitters!

*Builds home in Arizona, dies when summer temps reach 130F*

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

:bahgawd: Global warmins a hoax created by hippie bullshitters!

*Builds home in Arizona, dies when summer temps reach 120F*

I'm sorry, but I don't believe in your silly concepts of thermodynamics because I remember when scientists thought heat was a fluid that flowed between objects with mass.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

I agree the plant seems to have been incompetently run. I think all power plants should be run by the government because the consequences of failure are so far-reaching that profit motives cannot be trusted to make correct management decisions.

Nuclear waste is regulated the way it is because of risk-based modelling. Everything is based on how many additional premature deaths various types of exposure would cause and alot of assumptions made in risk assessment are conservative because you really don't wanna lowball it and have unexpected extra deaths. Whether or not this is reasonable is debatable but regulations are regulations and the money has to come from somewhere.

Better yet, have it shoot a bigass laser to transmit electricity.

That won't work, the photons will burn up in re-entry. We need something solid and static.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if the beam misses will it get all SimCity 3000 or what

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

FedEx Mercury posted:

That won't work, the photons will burn up in re-entry. We need something solid and static.
Eh more energy would get through the atmosphere in a focused beam than gets to a field of solar panels. Plus, a big ole cable would cause much more damage if it fell compared to inevitable controlled use of mega solar array as a doomsday weapon. At least that will be targeted!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
But the cable couldn't fall, it is being pushed away from the earth thanks to centripetal acceleration. Besides how are you going to aim that laser? Magic?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It would def fall if the tether gets dicked with somehow

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

It would def fall if the tether gets dicked with somehow

Nuh-Uh!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

It would fall if it broke. We know how to make lasers, not 250 mile transmission mains that support themselves vertically.
Aim the lasers with articulated transmitters, just like regular satellites. The array would have chemical rockets for altitude adjustment. Basically the ISS with an enormous solar array on top and a big laser on the bottom. Hell, why not just slap this poo poo on the ISS? Save some money, easier to maintain, extend usefulness of ISS. It's a slam dunk!

Hatebag fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 6, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
or the counterweight rather, not the tether

whatever u know what i mean

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

or the counterweight rather, not the tether

whatever u know what i mean

Look I don't think either of us is a "science guy" per se.

What about clean coal?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
They made a documentary video game about this laser idea, it was called Vanquish. Things ended just as you would expect, with cyber Russians roasting the city of San Francisco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaSDuO-XJ5I

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv09NQoEMeM&t=1620s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

FedEx Mercury posted:

They made a documentary video game about this laser idea, it was called Vanquish. Things ended just as you would expect, with cyber Russians roasting the city of San Francisco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaSDuO-XJ5I

Seems legit.

• Locked thread