Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Artificer posted:

From what I've learned from these lets plays of Dredmor it is that Magic and in general not having to be in melee is the most broken poo poo ever.

Physical endgame is generally hinged around crossbows and thrown items, yes. Any time you're attacking in close range is a chance for an enemy to Counter you for some ridiculous amount of damage just because RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Yeah, I'm thinking of giving Dredmor one last go with a proper build, this time going either for crossbows or magic.

Anyway, here's my last character. i played sloppy, wasn't feeling it at all.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9GF5yFpdAk&t=14835s

well, that's the worst result I've ever had from pulling a lever. could have survived if blinking onto that teleport pad under the empty chest activated it, but apparently they only activate if you walk onto them.

2 questions:
-if I went up the stairs, would the floor above still be angry at me for stealing?
-are those vegetable monsters(Mandragora) able to take multiple turns in a row sometimes?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

IronicDongz posted:

-if I went up the stairs, would the floor above still be angry at me for stealing?

If you steal on a floor in a way that gets you caught (i.e. not an exploit), that floor will always have Dread Collectors spawn in (unless you go to the trouble of killing all the Braxes on the floor, which hahaha good loving luck on these builds), but other floors will be fine. So if you escaped from a floor and went back to it later, yeah, they'd still be trying to stomp your face in.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9GF5yFpdAk&t=14835s

well, that's the worst result I've ever had from pulling a lever. could have survived if blinking onto that teleport pad under the empty chest activated it, but apparently they only activate if you walk onto them.

Do note that the scrolls tell you what the levers do. This one is the "mass pitting mechanism above", and is generally not worth pulling. The Dwarven Express Post, however, is loving amazing because it spawns 3 Evil Chests and Evil Chests are the primary source of good gear in the game, reliably spawning high-tier items with several mods on them.

I decided to roll my own character, and went mathemagic / psionics / leylines / a bunch of other crap. I really hope that the high-level mathemagic curses can pull their own weight because right now (dungeon level 2/3) killing things is really tedious. Golden Ratio curse does 6 damage per tick and costs 21 mana; that's just not sustainable.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
My last build, the pirate diggle, meet with an unfortunate end early on, not that I had any hopes on that build either way. Also, the game decide to randomly delete all my saved games :v:

Osci
Oct 11, 2016

IronicDongz posted:

-are those vegetable monsters(Mandragora) able to take multiple turns in a row sometimes?

They, and some other vegetables, seem to have some kind of linear charge attack.

The vegan build feels solid, but I should have gone for pyrokinesis sooner. Atm the slime needs upwards of 20-30 hits on some mobs and I really don't want to waste ammo on non-named monsters.
I'll just keep mashing that space bar for a few more levels.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, any of the rutabaga-type enemies has a charge attack. It builds up power the further away they use it, too, so it's entirely possible later on to get one-shot by a charging turnip you never saw.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I decided to win for the first time ever, so I'm going with a fairly cheesy build.

Pyro / Blood Mage (should have gone with the other one but oh well) / Crossbows / Armour / Vegan / Tinkerer / Burglary

I enjoyed my attempts at the random builds, but gently caress melee in this game.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
Eatyourgreens the vegan finally reached floor 10 and found Dredmor lurking behind a door.

The gear was fine for clearing normal mobs, but I was a bit worried for the dredmor fight. Base damage was great. Even softballs did some damage against him and I had plenty of ammo. The biggest worry was that I didn't find many of the things that make the fight super easy. I had mo mirror shields and no sawblades.
I did have a 3 clockwork timebombs, a mix of mid-range ammo and one lonely holy handgranade.
In the end, the fight was made trivial by a combo of fungi, burglary and plenty of cheese.

Kited him back to this spot. His ai isn't much better than normal mobs so he just walked back a forth between two squares trying to get over. He did cast a few nasty spells now and then, but sonic wands kept that down for the most part.
My biggest worry was getting stunned by a bolt and then get hit by more spells directly after. I played it safe by popping invis whenever he got me to around 90-100 and healed up.

Sometimes he found his way around, either through blinking or dumb luck, but I could just pop right back over.
And then...

:yotj:

Osci fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 3, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Way to go!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Congratulations!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Wow I sure didn't expect any of those builds to work. Excellent job.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Osci posted:

Eatyourgreens the vegan finally reached floor 10 and found Dredmor lurking behind a door.

The gear was fine for clearing normal mobs, but I was a bit worried for the dredmor fight. Base damage was great. Even softballs did some damage against him and I had plenty of ammo. The biggest worry was that I didn't find many of the things that make the fight super easy. I had mo mirror shields and no sawblades.
I did have a 3 clockwork timebombs, a mix of mid-range ammo and one lonely holy handgranade.
In the end, the fight was made trivial by a combo of fungi, burglary and plenty of cheese.

Kited him back to this spot. His ai isn't much better than normal mobs so he just walked back a forth between two squares trying to get over. He did cast a few nasty spells now and then, but sonic wands kept that down for the most part.
My biggest worry was getting stunned by a bolt and then get hit by more spells directly after. I played it safe by popping invis whenever he got me to around 90-100 and healed up.

Sometimes he found his way around, either through blinking or dumb luck, but I could just pop right back over.
And then...

:yotj:

:golfclap:

Congratulations on your win!

Nicely done with the Commie Vegan Tourist.

I would like to remind everyone that tomorrow's the closing date.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

backtracked to 1 to open up a breakable wall. artifact inside was poo poo. accidentally rocketjumped again instead of using healthcare

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Time is up!

After many many deaths, we have a winner! As the only successful adventurer to even kill Lord Dredmor, Osci is hereby declared as the champion of this modest challenge! (Send me a pm or leave a mail for me to get in touch with you and claim your prize).

I want to thank everyone who participated in this little contest, I hope all of you had a good time being brutally murdered by diggles again!

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
gg!

realistically could not have ended any other way

• Locked thread