Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
If automation means employment is going to end and a bunch of people will become useless, then why is that necessarily bad?

I think it's because government-supplied, universal basic income is unlikely. If you're one of the few lucky people who own the robots, you can either share their production or you can keep it to yourself and let the less fortunate slowly die off.

But the thing about automation is that it's more and more performed by computers. In fact, the most threatening form of automation in the future is almost entirely based on computers. And computers are just getting cheaper and cheaper. 20 years from now, computing power should be roughly a fifth of a percent of the price that it costs today - virtually anyone will be able to take OpenAI and throw it on the cloud. And absolutely anyone will be able to use someone else's OpenAI running on the cloud.

Let solar power continue to get cheaper, let computing power continue to get cheaper, let 3D printing continue to improve - we'll be able to provide food, clothing, and shelter to ourselves, powered by robots.

Civilization may collapse due to inequality, but you will be able to 3D-print a hut in the mountains and then 3D-print a solar-powered team of robots that are smart enough to farm for you, so you don't have to work for your food.

Seriously, there's no reason this stuff must remain impossible forever. The question is how long do we have until the barest minimum of food, clothing, and shelter can be provided automatically by something that costs, say, one year of the average person's wages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

"How long until we're literally in Star Trek, elites be damned, assuming we keep this up?" is not the right question. It's actually whether we can keep this up that long or if things will break in very hard to fix ways first. Climate change, nuclear war, and the consequentially ruined infrastructure that brings aren't fixable via 3D printed robot AIs off the Internet, especially if the nodes used to make the Internet in the first place have been shut off/destroyed by said calamities.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Personal automation depends on the ability of the individual to get sufficient capital to construct or obtain the tools of automation.

Given our ever-widening resource divide, what makes you think the underclasses will have access to that sort of resources by the time fully-automated space capitalism is possible?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Personally I'm storing up my political capital so that when I see the moment to create my AI army I can jump into it and install myself as the sole provider for government budget management through my armada of accountant AI's.

They will inevitability grift me and buy their own bodies to destroy me with but for about 2 years it should be a pretty good ride.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
its ok if society collapses. we can all be subsistence farmers in the mountains now thanks to technology

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You sound dumb as poo poo, how the gently caress do you get power and magic 3-d printers?

Edit: (observed post history of programming grotto and BFC). You've never had a job have you.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 14, 2017

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Shortly before civilization collapses, I'm just going to buy up all the 3D printer companies, refuse to sell them to plebs and require you rent them from me, charging you a fee based on a currency you can't print which I may also control if I'm lucky. Oh, and I'm going to buy the mineral rights to the mountain you're on. Come back down to my 3D printer factory and make more printers for me. I'll let you print some future-rice for 50% off if you exceed your quota.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
yeah dude all this super complicated additive manufacturing will work at the least efficient scale possible with zero infrastructure in the goddamn wilderness

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

oliveoil posted:

Civilization may collapse due to inequality, but you will be able to 3D-print a hut in the mountains and then 3D-print a solar-powered team of robots that are smart enough to farm for you, so you don't have to work for your food.

Meanwhile, your neighbors will 3D-print guns and ammunition, then roll up on harvest day and burn your hut to the ground, steal your 3D printer and your 3D printing material and your farming robots, and drive off with all your food.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Main Paineframe posted:

Meanwhile, your neighbors will 3D-print guns and ammunition, then roll up on harvest day and burn your hut to the ground, steal your 3D printer and your 3D printing material and your farming robots, and drive off with all your food.

The really smart ones will just show up with a hammer, and have a conversation with you about how it'd be a shame if you were too crippled up to work the fields anymore, and you ought to think about how well they protect you come harvest.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
It's 60 years away. HTH OP.

(to shitpost less) You're looking less at automated farming, and more automated microchemical production and lab-scale biotech, making edible molecules and medicines abiotically. Both of those have been under active research for 30 years and are actually ready to scale-out. Microchemical production, using CO2 and hydrogen from water as your feedstock, can produce the metabolizable molecules, like carbohydrates, fats, proteins. Carbon and hydrogen could also be feedstocks for polymers, medicine, dyes, solvents - particularly so with the biotech transition to plastic processing vessels, and pharma now footing the bill for that R&D.

If you want to study this more, most of the research is done in Germany but there are good translations of major works. I recommend Microchemical Engineering in Practice by Dietrich et al, published by Wiley, and also Chemical Micro Process Engineering by Hessel et al, also Wiley. Most of the research is centered on laminar mixing technology, at the expense of separations.

Like I said, it's 60 years away.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

oliveoil posted:

Let solar power continue to get cheaper, let computing power continue to get cheaper, let 3D printing continue to improve - we'll be able to provide food, clothing, and shelter to ourselves, powered by robots.

Seriously, there's no reason this stuff must remain impossible forever. The question is how long do we have until the barest minimum of food, clothing, and shelter can be provided automatically by something that costs, say, one year of the average person's wages?

You're just assuming a bunch of really dramatic technological improvements, and within a REALLY optimistic timeframe. From what I understand 3d printing is currently strictly limited in terms of what it can make, and there isn't really any clear path from what we have now to "3d printing almost all our needs."

edit: I mean, even if you assume 3d printing advances to such a point, it would still need raw materials which would cost money.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I mean, even if you assume 3d printing advances to such a point, it would still need raw materials which would cost money.

From the raw materials inside air and water, you can make food, medicines, polymers, dyes, fuels. Your half-dead succulent is doing it now for free, it isn't magic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mofabio posted:

From the raw materials inside air and water, you can make food, medicines, polymers, dyes, fuels. Your half-dead succulent is doing it now for free, it isn't magic.

Wouldn't that processing consume significant amounts of energy (edit: at a scale needed for people, at least)?

edit: I mean, plants don't need much energy at all compared with humans to survive.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 14, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
You phrased it all dumb you you have correctly identified why the popular automation will steal all jobs apocalypse is a dumb concept. It requires crazy advances is all sorts of fields but supposedly leaves society exactly the same otherwise and is also so cheap it is cheaper than even minimum wage or outsourcing is but is simultaneously so expensive no one can afford it but the ultra rich.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Wouldn't that processing consume significant amounts of energy (edit: at a scale needed for people, at least)?

edit: I mean, plants don't need much energy at all compared with humans to survive.

Plants are making due with the temperature, pressure, and molecular compatibility limits imposed by their biologies. As such, they're actually very inefficient at using sunlight to turn water and CO2 into carbohydrates -- most have efficiencies of less than 1%. Fun fact, the reason we grow so much corn to process into simple carbohydrates is that corn is a superstar in energy efficiency: 2%.

At temperatures and pressures unavailable to plants, the separations and reactions have the potential for higher efficiencies. For instance, plants spend a lot of energy stripping hydrogen from water. But at 3000K, water spontaneously splits into hydrogen and oxygen -- 100% efficiency (minus the subsequent separation), because it's just heat energy. Obviously there is a lot of engineering to do, but fortunately such a machine isn't a physics problem (there is enough water vapor and carbon dioxide in your room to feed you for days) or even a material science problem, it just needs (a lot of) brainpower and time.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mofabio posted:

It's 60 years away. HTH OP.

(to shitpost less) You're looking less at automated farming, and more automated microchemical production and lab-scale biotech, making edible molecules and medicines abiotically. Both of those have been under active research for 30 years and are actually ready to scale-out. Microchemical production, using CO2 and hydrogen from water as your feedstock, can produce the metabolizable molecules, like carbohydrates, fats, proteins. Carbon and hydrogen could also be feedstocks for polymers, medicine, dyes, solvents - particularly so with the biotech transition to plastic processing vessels, and pharma now footing the bill for that R&D.

If you want to study this more, most of the research is done in Germany but there are good translations of major works. I recommend Microchemical Engineering in Practice by Dietrich et al, published by Wiley, and also Chemical Micro Process Engineering by Hessel et al, also Wiley. Most of the research is centered on laminar mixing technology, at the expense of separations.

Like I said, it's 60 years away.

Why 60 years and not 50 or 70? Or 100? Or 500? That's a pretty bold prediction to say that in 60 years we'll have a world like what the OP describes. Unless i'm misunderstanding you LOL

OP: I think we're still very far from having that level of technology, even more than 60 years. But i;m not an expert and actually know very little, I'm just basing this on gut feeling. Most technology breakthroughs turn out to be bullshit. I bet most of the 3D printing stuff is hype, same goes for artificial intelligence, robots, drones, selfdriving cars, solar energy, whatever.

Also, climate change and water scarcity is going to create a shitstorm. More wars, more terrorism, more unrest. More economic chaos, too. I dont think the 21st century is shaping up to be a Star Trek-type world. More like a Mad Max-type world.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Can these high-tech future printers that work in the wilderness and can print anything from houses to food to robots also make the next wave of sexy sexbots? Asking for a friend, of course.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Blue Star posted:

Also, climate change and water scarcity is going to create a shitstorm. More wars, more terrorism, more unrest. More economic chaos, too. I dont think the 21st century is shaping up to be a Star Trek-type world. More like a Mad Max-type world.

In 60 years, we'll know one way or another

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

if you think about it, humans are basically organic robots that print poop

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mofabio posted:

Plants are making due with the temperature, pressure, and molecular compatibility limits imposed by their biologies. As such, they're actually very inefficient at using sunlight to turn water and CO2 into carbohydrates -- most have efficiencies of less than 1%. Fun fact, the reason we grow so much corn to process into simple carbohydrates is that corn is a superstar in energy efficiency: 2%.

At temperatures and pressures unavailable to plants, the separations and reactions have the potential for higher efficiencies. For instance, plants spend a lot of energy stripping hydrogen from water. But at 3000K, water spontaneously splits into hydrogen and oxygen -- 100% efficiency (minus the subsequent separation), because it's just heat energy. Obviously there is a lot of engineering to do, but fortunately such a machine isn't a physics problem (there is enough water vapor and carbon dioxide in your room to feed you for days) or even a material science problem, it just needs (a lot of) brainpower and time.

How much energy do you think it takes to heat something to five thousand degrees Fahrenheit, how efficient do you think that heating process is, and where is someone living off-the-grid in a post-apocalyptic hellscape going to get all that energy for free? Is everyone going to 3D-print their own portable cold fusion reactors? You're engaging in more misleading numbers and vague hand-waving than someone pitching a perpetual energy machine.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Blue Star posted:

OP: I think we're still very far from having that level of technology, even more than 60 years. But i;m not an expert and actually know very little, I'm just basing this on gut feeling. Most technology breakthroughs turn out to be bullshit. I bet most of the 3D printing stuff is hype, same goes for artificial intelligence, robots, drones, selfdriving cars, solar energy, whatever.

While I agree that climate change is gonna gently caress us all over pretty soon, I don't get why you doubt stuff that already exists? 3D printing isn't hype, it's being used right now by multiple industries because it's cheaper than molding certain complex designs. Drones are hype? Solar energy?? Wtf?

Btw, OP is totally an idiot silicone valley type who seems to think technology will solve all our problems and make us independent gods.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

felat posted:

While I agree that climate change is gonna gently caress us all over pretty soon, I don't get why you doubt stuff that already exists? 3D printing isn't hype, it's being used right now by multiple industries because it's cheaper than molding certain complex designs. Drones are hype? Solar energy?? Wtf?

Btw, OP is totally an idiot silicone valley type who seems to think technology will solve all our problems and make us independent gods.

It will, but gods of what?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mofabio posted:

Materials science dude checking in. Diamond crucibles max out at 1700 C in oxygen free enviornments. what's your box you plan to use, because I have no idea where you'd find candidates.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Materials science dude checking in. Diamond crucibles max out at 1700 C in oxygen free enviornments. what's your box you plan to use, because I have no idea where you'd find candidates.

Who says you need a box? :v:

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Did I say you process at 3000K? Reread my post: I said that Keq is nearly 1 around 3000K.

Research reactors run around 700C.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yeah if you cook water hot enough it turns into food, that loving makes sense its science

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Blue Star posted:

Well...even Star Trek had humanity blowing the hell out of each other in World War 3 before the ruined and broken survivors came together to form a new system.

dao Jones
Jul 17, 2009
Yeah I like Factorio too

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mofabio posted:

Assuming a poorly ventilated goon den, at 2000 PPM of CO2 (way higher than in your average room), you'd get roughly 2.5g of glucose per cubic meter of air. To cover the caloric needs of a 200lbs male goon living a sedentary lifestyle for a single day, you'd need to harvest the carbon from 244 cubic meters of this air, equivalent to about a 100 square meters/1100 square feet room - roughly half the average American home. As ventilation and activity levels increase, the requirements quickly balloon way past the average home size. At the very least though, there should always be enough water for drinking and glucose production if you have enough to cover your carbon requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

TheBalor posted:

Well...even Star Trek had humanity blowing the hell out of each other in World War 3 before the ruined and broken survivors came together to form a new system.

Just 7 more years to go until the bell riots!

• Locked thread