Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CJ Beathard: Career Backup sounds about right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

NFL Comparison: Tom Savage

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Who?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Mark Sanchez has nightmares about this guy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh hey, James Conner is a hell of a story.

Also a decent little running back.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

OK, this is awesome. Connor is real good and him getting to play in Pittsburgh again is awesome.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
James Conner loving owns hell yeah

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
AWW YEAH SON

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Our new LB looks like a beefed up Jason Mewes.

Snootchie bootchies.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Connor's existence is going to extend LeVeon Bell's career by a couple of years, and will also help during Bell's annual 4 game suspension.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

What is it about the Raiders and Bengals that they're completely fine taking people with questionable histories?

I can't speak for the Raiders but I think for the Bengals it's a result of three factors:

1. It's a mom and pop organization with job security and no knowledge of or care for media perception. The only decision makers who matter are Kate Blackburn, Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis and Duke Tobin. They're all career football people of varying levels of success who could die in their role if they wanted to. If there's a person in the room who gives a poo poo about twitter or ESPN they have zero clout. It shows. They have a weird way of turning into negative press that shows a basic lack of interest in what people think.

In 2014 Marvin called a player a "midget" and dismissed concussions in two separate press conferences, all within a couple of weeks. Can you imagine what would happen to a normal coach if they pulled that poo poo? Gone.

2. Bengals are addicted to players who drop. Free agency and draft bargains are their entire development philosophy.

3. Confirmation bias. The Bengals had a massive issue from roughly 2004 to 2012 where they led the league in arrests. Pacman has more arrests now than the rest of the team collectively.

These #s are out of date, but in 2015 the Bengals were tied for 10th in the league in arrests with ten, largely as a result of the first two years. By contrast, from 2002 to 2016 they are third, with 43 (Broncos and Vikings). I don't think people think of legal issues when they think of the Colts or Buccs or Broncos or Vikings. People didn't say "same old Vikings" when they drafted Dalvin Cook.

The Bengals also have had their arrests in spectacularly stupid fashion. Chris Henry committing violent crimes in his actual game jersey, Jerome Simpson getting busted for basically a suitcase sized stash of pot, Pacman again and again, Andre Smith having a gun in his carry on bag at the goddamned airport what the christ dude and so on.

To my knowledge the active players in Cinci who have been arrested are:
Pacman, like 20 times
Mixon.
Hill
Andre Smith

You also, of course have players who haven't gotten in trouble with the law but have earned a lovely reputation. Burfict is the big one, but there are a couple of players like Iloka and Pacman that don't help either.

To be clear, the Bengals reputation is fair even if it is inflated. They could have easily mitigated their reputation with a concentrated effort and their image was reforming up until ~2014.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

conner owns, it's cool that he's staying in pittsburgh

how many michigan guys have gone, is that team just totally gutted next season?

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
pretty happy with the first 3 rounds overall

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

none of these chump teams picked anthony walker

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Saints have one pick left in the draft barring trades. Doubt I stick around for that.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/858150371432304640

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eifert Posting posted:

and again, Andre Smith having a gun in his carry on bag at the goddamned airport what the christ dude and so on.

I just want to remind everyone that Barry Switzer also did this

Belichick got bored of the game so now he makes up his own rules.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This is incredible

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Eifert Posting posted:

I can't speak for the Raiders but I think for the Bengals it's a result of three factors:

1. It's a mom and pop organization with job security and no knowledge of or care for media perception. The only decision makers who matter are Kate Blackburn, Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis and Duke Tobin. They're all career football people of varying levels of success who could die in their role if they wanted to. If there's a person in the room who gives a poo poo about twitter or ESPN they have zero clout. It shows. They have a weird way of turning into negative press that shows a basic lack of interest in what people think.

In 2014 Marvin called a player a "midget" and dismissed concussions in two separate press conferences, all within a couple of weeks. Can you imagine what would happen to a normal coach if they pulled that poo poo? Gone.

2. Bengals are addicted to players who drop. Free agency and draft bargains are their entire development philosophy.

3. Confirmation bias. The Bengals had a massive issue from roughly 2004 to 2012 where they led the league in arrests. Pacman has more arrests now than the rest of the team collectively.

These #s are out of date, but in 2015 the Bengals were tied for 10th in the league in arrests with ten, largely as a result of the first two years. By contrast, from 2002 to 2016 they are third, with 43 (Broncos and Vikings). I don't think people think of legal issues when they think of the Colts or Buccs or Broncos or Vikings. People didn't say "same old Vikings" when they drafted Dalvin Cook.

The Bengals also have had their arrests in spectacularly stupid fashion. Chris Henry committing violent crimes in his actual game jersey, Jerome Simpson getting busted for basically a suitcase sized stash of pot, Pacman again and again, Andre Smith having a gun in his carry on bag at the goddamned airport what the christ dude and so on.

Pacman, like 20 times
Mixon.
Hill
Andre Smith

You also, of course have players who haven't gotten in trouble with the law but have earned a lovely reputation. Burfict is the big one, but there are a couple of players like Iloka and Pacman that don't help either.

To be clear, the Bengals reputation is fair even if it is inflated. They could have easily mitigated their reputation with a concentrated effort and their image was reforming up until ~2014.

Plus their biggest shot at a serious playoff run ended because Burfict couldn't resist a cheap shot. They're not just dirty they're dirty to the point it's self harming

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Man I missed going into football related deep dives. The Bengals drafted 61 players since 2010 and two have been arrested after becoming Bengals: Orson Charles (gun) and Robert Sands (domestic abuse). Orson was dinged for a DUI before the draft but Sands didn't seem to have any character concerns prior to selection.

Pacman represents 1/3 of Bengals arrests since he signed with the team in 2010.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm not even a real Steelers fan but if they didn't pick James Conner that would have been some fuckin bull poo poo

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Alaois posted:

I'm not even a real Steelers fan but if they didn't pick James Conner that would have been some fuckin bull poo poo

It feels like a Dan Rooney last request

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Eifert Posting posted:

Pacman, like 20 times
Mixon.
Hill
Andre Smith

Great explanation, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Taywan and Jonnu this offense is going to be fun as hell

• Locked thread