Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

"Wait for score to POST"

lol wtf is this person doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

his idea about what constitutes a "game" is unnerving

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Shaggar posted:

IE6 did not encourage abuse of javascript like failfox and chome did.

defend all the terrible microsoft products you like, but the browser is indefensible. ie6 left an indelible shitstain across the web.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no it didn't. it did none of the terrible poo poo that was demanded by web "developers" in failfox, chome, etc... people used those browsers instead of ie6 because they wanted to start abusing javascript . to them IE was not doing all the stupid things they wanted so they started promoting their own poo poo and now we're stuck w/ it.

IEs only failure is in that it failed to push non-javascript hard enough.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

The bigger blame for Microsoft was outright stealing Netscape Navigator and embedding it into the OS as the explorer in win95.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
css and even plain vanilla html5 are also why people hated ie6 and ie8, not just javascript.

they're all crap, let's start over with s-expressions and lisp.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Shaggar posted:

no it didn't. it did none of the terrible poo poo that was demanded by web "developers" in failfox, chome, etc... people used those browsers instead of ie6 because they wanted to start abusing javascript . to them IE was not doing all the stupid things they wanted so they started promoting their own poo poo and now we're stuck w/ it.

IEs only failure is in that it failed to push non-javascript hard enough.

you dumb stupid bastard. ie6 couldn't handle simple poo poo like css margins or floats properly. simple html rendering that failfox and chome could easily deal with, ie6 choked. and they clung to it for 5 fuckin years. you can't blame js for that.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
you can blame microsoft for this: getElementById

ID with a lower case d

gently caress microsoft

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

gently caress em

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

ID with a lower case d

gently caress microsoft

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ie6 was a loving crime against humanity

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

you dumb stupid bastard. ie6 couldn't handle simple poo poo like css margins or floats properly. simple html rendering that failfox and chome could easily deal with, ie6 choked. and they clung to it for 5 fuckin years. you can't blame js for that.

it worked fine, the spec was trash.

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

ID with a lower case d

gently caress microsoft

lower case d is correct

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

lower case d is correct

please don't talk about your erectile dysfunction in yospos

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

your so wrong. wrong wrong wrong

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

lol shaggar loves to spout about IE's box model and stuff actually being correct. it's a Shagg-classic ™

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it was correct that's why the first thing in every css since it was changed to the standard is a fix to revert it.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Shaggar posted:

it was correct that's why the first thing in every css since it was changed to the standard is a fix to revert it.

what?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the original IE box model was border box. the "correct" css box model is hosed up trash. all it means is any css you write starts w/ switching everything to border box.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
specifically he's talking about how one of the first things foundation, bootstrap, and possibly other hipster web frameworks do is

code:
html {
    box-sizing: border-box;
}

*::before,
*::after {
    box-sizing: inherit;
}

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

i cannot believe you are actually standing up for internet explorer version 6

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

There Will Be Penalty posted:

specifically he's talking about how one of the first things foundation, bootstrap, and possibly other hipster web frameworks do is

code:
html {
    box-sizing: border-box;
}

*::before,
*::after {
    box-sizing: inherit;
}

lol @ "hipster" frameworks. if you aren't using border-box you are a loving retard. its not even questionable

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Shaggar posted:

lower case d is correct

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

ID with a lower case d

gently caress microsoft

I prefer getElementBySuperEgo.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this really is one of the more perplexing shaggar opinions. not that the javascript future we inhabit isn't bad, but on the one hand microsoft had a lot of hand in making it happen (e.g. inventing ajax for the first owa), and on the other hand i really still can't see the w3c managing to iterate their junk into something workable even given a better start and infinite time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

html 5 and css 3 are Cool and Good

what you can do to them using javascript or one of the giant frameworks with 9000 dependencies is not

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

ie6 was a loving crime against humanity

ya this. and how long it stayed around

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think I already posted this but at my last job the head of front end development had a cake made for when they could finally sunset ie 6-8 support

they were using ~40% of their budget supporting 5% of their users

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this really is one of the more perplexing shaggar opinions. not that the javascript future we inhabit isn't bad, but on the one hand microsoft had a lot of hand in making it happen (e.g. inventing ajax for the first owa), and on the other hand i really still can't see the w3c managing to iterate their junk into something workable even given a better start and infinite time

IE6 wasn't the problem. if you developed for only IE6 you were absolutely fine every time. the problem was bad browsers based on bad standards. as web "developers" got on board with those bad standards they also started abusing js to the point its at today. remember that most of these people were Linux users who had never seen a good language and were all coming from p-lang worlds. javascript was fine to them.

i'll sort of give you inventing ajax, but they didn't invent it as the json crapfest we have today. it was litterrally xmlhttprequest. it was meant as a way to start delivering xml over http for multiple client types, of which browsers would be one. then web "developers" got ahold of it and hosed it all up with their garbage standards.

If IE6 is to blame for anything its for letting up of the gas in pushing the industry to better de-facto standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Roosevelt posted:

i cannot believe you are actually standing up for internet explorer version 6

shagger !!! :razz:

• Locked thread