Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m probably going to mess with some genesis/Saturn music composition soon. maybe this weekend

oh poo poo. I was thinking the same thing a few days ago while playing sonic mania.

how do you get into it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Granbar posted:

oh poo poo. I was thinking the same thing a few days ago while playing sonic mania.

how do you get into it?

there’s a utility called GEMS that was commissioned by Sega of America and used by a bunch of US developers. but a lot of games have custom sound engines

not sure about Saturn but I want to figure it out because it has a heck of weird custom sound chip.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

if you want an easy intro to fm synth though, check out AdLib Tracker, it has a dosbox package that works well. patches aren’t identical between opl2/opn2 but it’s a similar concept

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i like spotify because its suggestions are better than basically anyone elses but i wanna be able to upload my own poo poo so i just settled for apple music instead. its okay i guess.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Silver Alicorn posted:

if you want an easy intro to fm synth though, check out AdLib Tracker, it has a dosbox package that works well. patches aren’t identical between opl2/opn2 but it’s a similar concept

love fm synthesis! in my collection: tx81z, reface dx, akemie's castle+taiko currently. would love to add a genesis with one of those crazy looking boards sticking out of it as well

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

sleepwalkers posted:

i like spotify because its suggestions are better than basically anyone elses but i wanna be able to upload my own poo poo so i just settled for apple music instead. its okay i guess.

you can do this w/ Spotify but it's hella clunky and occasionally forgets what you've added to your shared folder. not the best implementation anyway.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Granbar posted:

love fm synthesis! in my collection: tx81z, reface dx, akemie's castle+taiko currently. would love to add a genesis with one of those crazy looking boards sticking out of it as well

does genesis ever drive have a serial port? the earlier geneses have one on the mobo

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

you can do this w/ Spotify but it's hella clunky and occasionally forgets what you've added to your shared folder. not the best implementation anyway.

is it the thing where you have to add a local folder to the desktop verison then you can sync that from the desktop version to mobile? i dont know if i care enough to jump through those hoops but its an option i guess

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

does genesis ever drive have a serial port? the earlier geneses have one on the mobo

don't think so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEvnZRCW_qc cool video on GEMS

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

early model had an EXT port that was used for a japan only modem called Sega Meganet but it had the same functionality as a controller port. like both controllers ports it's a 7bit bidirectional parallel / RS232C serial port @ 4200baud. the pin assignment might be the same as a COM port but the voltage is too high, maybe try LPT if you don't have a converter

e. rcp, "genesis ever drive"

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 24, 2017

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
spotify is missing some decent sized punk labels. probably for the best

pram
Jun 10, 2001

cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

someone opst that business funk

• Locked thread