Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Second question: You destroyed your surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did you destroy?

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Maleketh posted:

Second question: You destroyed your surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did you destroy?

I still don't know who the hell it was that attacked Crackdown, but he was tough. Really, really tough. At the very least, he was very predictable, so the city itself got off fairly lightly. But, we had to fight him somewhere, and that ended up being the forest outside of the city.

And, oh man, did that forest get destroyed. Not only was that guy tough enough that both Crackdown and I had to go full bore against him, he himself was...

Radioactive? No, probably not entirely true. But he leaked some sort of weird energy. Coupled with all the stuff being flung around, most of the forest resembles more of a crater now. A radioactive, uninhabitable crater. Even to this day, it's off limits due to safety concerns. So yeah, it was... pretty nasty.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Third question: You totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did you break? Whose rules were they?

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

When We First Got Together posted:

You totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did you break? Whose rules were they?

Well, it’s not like Crackdown’s understudy was going to come along quietly. His tactics were pretty straight forward, just single-mindedly pursuing Crackdown, but he had enough muscle that we couldn’t contain him. Maybe Imago could’ve, but she was pretty clearly holding back for fear of the bystanders. So, I rejiggered a collapsible transmat antenna into a pseudo-javelin and let Amazing Amazon jam it into his chest. The energy siphon worked, tapping the big guy’s waste energy to power up the transmitter, but it worked a little too well creating a spherical zone that energized compatible signatures and transmitted them down the signal path I’d laid out. The target, the heroes, some bystanders, a mail box, a couple of cars … it was kind of a mess when we all rematerialized at the target zone.

So, here’s the thing. There’s been a law on the books since the 60’s that requires express consent before using undocumented teleportation technology on a sapient being. It’s a fair law, ya know, don’t want to have American citizens getting all Kronenberged for no good reason, and it’s not like there are any kinds of uniform standards for the tech. On top of that, there’s the mail tampering charge, unlicensed deforestation, and I think I heard that the EPA wanted to talk to us about the illegal waste storage regarding the radioactive slag that the Shard melted things down into. You know, the usual kind of hair-splitting and hand ringing that follows a major superhuman battle.

All the same, I think it'd be best if we avoided A.E.G.I.S. for a while ...

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 1, 2017

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Question Four: You paid a high cost for victory. What was it?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Relationships:

You told Imago all about your doom and the danger you’re in.

"The moment I learned of her abilities I sought her out. She could SOLVE this, all of this!" my mouth forms into a thin little grimace of a pout. "I found her, I told her, she refused to help." I clench my fist slowly. My rage seethes through me. I wasn't angry at her. "She had her reasons." I say slowly. It was me. It was my fault she couldn't help. With my weakened constitution... I'd die. Even with all my alchemy. The cruelty of it was almost enough to make you want to laugh, and then cry bitter bloody tears.

I'd stopped believing in god a long time ago. Otherwise I'd think he was just being spiteful.

You’d love to kiss Shining Star before your doom comes.

"I.... um.... y-yeah..." I say, I can't stop the blush forming on my cheeks. I lift up a hypo and jam it in my neck. THAT stops the blush. Amazing what alchemy can do. With the warmth of the concoction already swirling through my vanes a icy cold clarity settles in my head. It's both relaxing, and exhilarating. It's one of the canacopia of shots I have to take to deal with going at super speeds. But for this moment, it loosens my tongue and my inhibitions enough to talk about this. I used to use it all the time to get through social events my parents held.

"You just have to look at her. She's classically beautiful. Both inside and out. And to speak entirely plainly, I dream of her being my fir-" Oh god, it might have been too big a dose! I quickly administered a counter dose. Again, too big, and I slumped forwards, unconscious, and slammed my face into the table. Jarring me back awake. The way I held my bloody nose likely suggested I'd done this far too many times before. I opened a potion, and took a very careful sip. The bleeding from my nose stopped immediately. I looked the examiner in the eye. My blush rising again as I mentally reviewed the last 5 seconds.

"A-And that's why I think she's cute..." Oh god kill me now.

Maleketh posted:

Question Four: You paid a high cost for victory. What was it?

I'm used to paying costs. Costs don't bother me. It's others who I worry for. The teleportation was bad. Really bad. The shardman shook of the shock of the teleportation, and was just getting ready to do... something to Crackdown. I couldn't let it happen, I was still wired on QuickSilver so I moved fast. Got in the way. Took the hit. But that radiation got into my blood, and the curse reacted poorly to it.

I've run the math

I lost 6 years of my life.

6 years.

I might only have months to live. A couple years at best, even with the alchemy. But that wasn't the worst of it. The cars that got dragged with us? Not all of them were empty. There was a lawyer in one of them. A very particular Ex-Lawyer. Windslow Harlthorn a firebrand who got famous trying to sue superheroes. He lost most of his cases. But got a huge following of nutbags who don't like people like us. We saved his life. But he was pissed. Apparently it's our fault he was in danger at all. Que an endless tirade of hate mail, blog posts, youtube videos. Enough for the media to report on them. Our rep took a battering. Before we'd even got of the ground. We're going to have to do a lot to rise above the bad press. Some of them are never going to like us. But it sucks to be on the back foot before we even begin.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Question five: You found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Maleketh posted:

Question five: You found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

Okay, look, now I know things could've gone a little better- okay, it could've gone a lot better, but it's not all bad! I mean, yea, sure, there's a huge crater where the forest used to be, and a lot of people are pretty mad at us, but at least we stopped the bad guy! And nobody died, or got seriously injured, so that should count for something! We've made some mistakes sure, but nobody's expecting us to be perfect! We'll just learn from our mistakes, and try better next time! It's all about the power of positive thinking!

That said, things got preettttyyy weird near the end of the fight. Mr. Pink Glowy Skull Man (That's what I'm calling him) was really starting to lose it, and he started yelling out a bunch of really weird stuff. He was saying things like, "THE ABYSS IS COMING!" and, "THE ABYSS WILL BRING AN END TO THE LIGHT!" Whatever that means. I've got no idea what this 'abyss' stuff is about, but I'm not worried about it! Whatever it is, I know we can deal with it! We're heroes, after all, and there's nothing we can't do as long as we all work together, and believe in each other! We'll just smack whatever it is until it stops being a problem!

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

And finally: All things considered, you did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Since we're near the end of this, you should also start getting your relationships finalized (those of you who haven't already).

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Maleketh posted:

And finally: All things considered, you did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

The hero Blaze showed up just after we'd finished our fight out in the forest, looking really, really worried. I mean, it was a tough fight, but it wasn't that though. Anyway, she took one look around at the blasted out woods and all the tension seemed to melt off her, and she started going on about how we did great, and how lucky Shining Star was to have teammates who were keeping her safe while she was "playing hero" and looking after her, and if the rest of us needed anything to ask her and she'd see what she could do. Then she told Shining Star not to get in our way and come home. It was... awkward. I'm not entirely sure she should be here either, but like... that was pretty brutal, and she wasn't really a burden.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

And that appears to be everything. I've been busy drawing up the intro scenaro - it probably won't be anything earth-shaking (this is my first time playing Masks, let alone running it), but it should be sufficiently entertaining and enough to get into character before the poo poo really hits the fan.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

While I'm getting the first session prepped, a few questions for each of you:

Imago, how much contact do you have with your family these days? You suggested that your "go-to" powers might possibly be based on those of your favorite heroes - who would they be?

Catalyst, what are you most afraid of when it comes to the Black Rot, apart from your impending death? Do you currently have any leads on artifacts or other items that might help you?

Crackdown, did Mentallus have your strength and toughness, or is that something new? If the former, what other powers did he have? What happened to The Dominion after his defeat?

Panopticon, do your parents know about your life as a hero, and if so, what do they think of it? Of all the corporations you hit, which one are you most proud of?

Amazing Amazon, what was the last news you heard about Cosmos - its possession of Frostbite, or something more recent? Do your weapons and armor have any magic powers beyond being really strong?

Shining Star, how do you feel about your mom never telling you her secret identity? How did you react when you first learned about your sister's powers?

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 5, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with Panopticon.

...sigh.

I'll admit it was stupid of me, but... I didn't really realize how much attention I had on me now that I'm the newest (and only) Amazing Amazon, even in my 'normal' life. Everyone's always know about the family, we don't really have secret identities so much as private ones. We don't let strangers onto the property, and general paparazzi tactics are likely to get you in a lot more trouble with superpowered people than it is with a regular movie starlette. So we don't have crowds of people following us around everywhere, but everywhere I do go attracts attention, unfortunately. Panopticon was taking me on a ... I don't think it was a date, it wasn't romantic - I mean, it was romantic, but was it supposed to be? I don't know! I've never been on a proper date before! An afternoon-evening together, we went bowling, to the batting cages - and wow, while I was there, I actually thought for a minute that Crackdown might be onto something with his techniques! - just all sorts of fun things, and had a nice dinner at the pier at sunse...this was a date, wasn't it? ah... whoops. But at the end, he had a bottle of wine, some really expensive stuff, and we were both having a glass, and, it turned out people'd been photographing us most of the ... date ... and the picture of us drinking alcohol, as minors, got around. Actually, the trouble was two parts, Grandma didn't get on me so much about the drinking, though that's what the media was harping on about, but being on a date (I didn't realize it!) with a guy. See, we aren't allowed to, until we're older, and 'ready' because of the ancestral descent of our power. So. Manged to get Grandma on my case and let down the image of the Amazon's in one go. Good start, Ema, good start.

You trust Catalyst and told them an important secret of your legacy.
I don't know the full story of what's happening to her, but I know she's dying of some curse that she didn't do anything to deserve, and she's been forced into her alchemy and heroics because of it. I can sympathize, a lot. I didn't exactly choose this life either. I'm glad to be saving people, and I'll uphold the legacy of the Amazon's as best I can with pride, but I do wish it'd been my choose to, you know? And, that's what I told her, about how the power passes on, and why it ended up with me. The public doesn't know that, they think I got my powers, trained, and decided to step up as the next Amazon, not that I got mine when and because Grandma lost hers, or any of that. It might have been kind of mean to dump all that 'trouble' on her when her's is killing her. Another good start. Why didn't my powers include social skills?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Maleketh posted:

Amazing Amazon, what was the last news you heard about Cosmos - its possession of Frostbite, or something more recent?

Cosmos. It was trapped inside Frostbite the last we know, and Frostbite was trapped powerless in the Vault. But that was before the heroes started vanishing, and the Vault was raided. Not everyone inside escaped, because enough of the rest of the heroes showed up, but Frostbite wasn't one of them. He should still be powerless, or at least much weaker, but what will Cosmos do with a worthless host? It's hard to imagine it keeping him long, how hard is it to find another villain to kill the body for so much power? And does it have any connection to The Abyss? What is Cosmos if not an abyss? Whatever its been doing since Frostbite escaped, I don't know, but it can't be good.

Maleketh posted:

Do your weapons and armor have any magic powers beyond being really strong?

The armor is mostly decorative, though it'll resist magical attacks as well as any physical blow. It does help a bit in fighting before I've developed my endurance. The real magical pieces are the shield and spear. Aegis, the shield, will reflect anything that hits it, as long as I want it to, which means I can use for all sorts of things, like reflecting sunlight in a blinding flare or send a burst of air to hit someone at a distance, as well as protecting me. Ascolon, the spear, is a fluid weapon, able to change from long-spear to short-sword to short-spear to broadsword at will, making it very difficult to counter, and can cut anything or cut nothing. It'll never fail to cut through an object with my strength behind it, but when cutting a living person, I can have it damage their energy and power instead of wounding, each blow weakening them instead of killing. Finally, I can always call them to myself from wherever they are.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Maleketh posted:

Did Mentallus have your strength and toughness, or is that something new? If the former, what other powers did he have? What happened to The Dominion after his defeat?

Mentallus' known powers included super strength and toughness, psionic beams, and flight. However, his most powerful and best known ability was telepathy powerful enough to reach anyone on the planet, and form a network sufficient to coordinate the actions of the Dominion. This allowed the Dominion to operate in secret, and infiltrate governments, corporations, and superhero leagues, acting openly only at the precisely appointed times. Therefore, only a handful Dominion members were ever unmasked, often when they intentionally burned their identities as part of the plot, and of these few remain alive today. Dominion members were brainwashed to believe that Mentallus was a representative of a forerunner species, and that by serving the Dominion they could assimilate into a greater galactic society. Without Mentallus' telepathic network to unite them, the remaining uncompromised members fractured and folded into other political interests.

Hairy Right Hook fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 5, 2017

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Maleketh posted:

Imago, how much contact do you have with your family these days? You suggested that your "go-to" powers might possibly be based on those of your favorite heroes - who would they be?

I still have contact with them, but it's often over video conferences. I... I just want to be sure nothing bad happens. I don't want to screw up here too. The whole thing with Crackdown and the conversation with Catalyst haven't exactly helped my confidence, you know?

As for the powers, it's mostly based on the following two heroes;

- Force Commander, an ex-military Gold generation super hero. One of the "big guns" even back then, he tended to only show up to big events like alien invasions and such, and leave the "small fries" to others. Wasn't too different from me in the respect that he had trouble scaling his power down, which was why he did that. On the upper scale of his power, he could even tear a spaceship in half with this raw kinetic force.

- Angel's Advocate. Like her, the wings are basically just part of the costume than actually useful. Her flight was after all more levitation than actual flight, but she still used them in order to trick people when she then did turns that weren't supposed to be possible. She's also what I've based my invincibility on, her style of basically telling reality "no" and getting it to stick. Just couldn't not to, after she just took that death ray that erased the lighthouse point blank without a care! I mean, how cool was that?!

Sometimes, I also go with super strength for applications that need a bit more precision than atom compressing something into a tiny ball like kinetic manipulation does, but that's not really based on any one hero.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 5, 2017

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Maleketh posted:

Catalyst, what are you most afraid of when it comes to the Black Rot, apart from your impending death? Do you currently have any leads on artifacts or other items that might help you?

It spreading. Converting into an actual infectious communicable disease. An airborne toxin, or something that starts like the common cold, and just... explodes outwards infecting people left right centre, and turns them into zombies.

What?

Zombies are scary! They're totally scary! Ugh!

Anyway, I've been looking into other sources of magic. Necromancy is one route. But there's some possibility in Voodoo. I've tried my hands at them. But it doesn't work for me. There's no grounding in science. I can't get my head around it. It's infuriating! There was the Skull of the Rat. A dangerous tool that was said to grant the user knowledge of any disease. But it's a trap. I mean, ew. It's a skull of a plague rat, that is filled with all kinds of terrible sicknesses. It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't also cursed and inflicted every single one of the on you. Though that said... it would be useful to study as an alternative magical sickness... That could be useful.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Relationships

quote:

Catalyst is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.

What's happening to Annie is... it's horrible. I can't even imagine what it's like to know you'll die soon, and there's nothing you can really do about it.

...Still, while there's nothing I can do about her condition, I can still make sure the time she has left on this Earth is a good one. I want her to know that she can always count on me to be her friend!

I've already planned a fishing trip with her, too! Most people (Mostly my sister) think fishing is boring, but those people are wrong. Fishing can be a lot of fun, especially when you're doing it with a friend! I can't wait to take Annie to one of my favorite fishing spots! I'm sure we're going to have a great time together!

quote:

You’ve got to prove yourself to Amazing Amazon before you feel like a real hero.

I mean, who hasn't heard of the Amazing Amazons!? They're only some of the most legendary heroes who've ever lived! I still can't believe we have her on our team! Yea, so maybe I'm a little star-struck, but can you blame me!? The Amazing Amazons are everything I want to be as a hero! I can only dream to be as heroic as them!

...And, um, she's also a lot prettier than I thought she'd be. Like, wow. I knew the Amazing Amazons were known for their godly beauty, but I never expected them to look that pretty.

quote:

How do you feel about your mom never telling you her secret identity?

It's... complicated.

I'm sure she had her reasons, but... I still wish she would've told me. I still love my mom, and I still look up to her, but it... it stings a little knowing that she kept something as big as this a secret from me this whole time.

When I find her, I'm.... Well, I'm probably going to hug her, first, but after that, I'm going to ask her why. Why did you share your secret with Alex, but not me? I... don't think I'll like the answer, but still, it's something I need to know.

quote:

How did you react when you first learned about your sister's powers?

I was 5 (Alex was 10) when she first revealed her powers to me, and I still remember thinking how awesome her flame powers were, and I also remember being a little jealous, too. We'd spend hours talking about what kind of superhero she'd be, and we'd even talk about what her super special hero name would be. Blaze... was actually my idea, and I'm a little surprised she stuck with it.

...It's funny. Looking back at it now, Alex actually used to encourage me to be a hero. "You don't need powers or fancy gadgets, as long as work hard, and never give up!" is what she used to tell me. Of course, things are different now, and Alex is... she's a different person now, too. She's a lot more serious, and we're... we're not as close as we used to be. We get into a lot more fights than we used to, and she wants me to stop... but I can't. I can't stop, not after all the hard work I've put into being where I am now, and if she doesn't like it, well, that's too bad for her, then. This is what I do now, and she just has to accept it.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Game thread is live!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Maleketh posted:

Do your parents know about your life as a hero, and if so, what do they think of it?
Do my parents know? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! No, no, heck no. My folks can be a little indulgent at times, but it’s always dependent on my willingness to be the perfect little corporate heir. Go to this party, schmooze with this family, take this money, convenient look away on this topic, don’t publically speak your mind, make sure the issues you hold up are publically suitable—bah! It’s like my whole life is a strait jacket sometimes, pulling on the mask and going my own way? Sometimes it’s the only way I feel like I can be me.

Of course, since they don’t know it’s me, their opinion of Panopticon is pretty dim. After all, the stuff I stir up could splash back on them. Maybe I try to avoid that, but it’s not like I know everything they’re involved in … some people might consider that kind of crazy.

If they did know about me … well, it’d be different. They’d try to find a way to use me to their advantage. Leveraging control is, after all, what they do. Of course, that would compromise the entire purpose, so, yeah, I try to keep it under my hat. Fortunately, they’re pretty busy, so I find plenty of time on my own. Being able to use transmat tech to store and retrieve my gear from a secure location helps.

Maleketh posted:

Of all the corporations you hit, which one are you most proud of?
Hmn … the most proud? Honestly, I don’t really rank them. I mean, what criteria do you use? Which was the hardest to break into? Where did I do the most good? Which made the biggest media splash?

If I did pick one though, it’d probably be Westcliff Solutions LTD. They’re an international security agency, I got involved because of some pictures of them forcibly relocating transients on the outskirts of the city. If they were just clearing land they owned, that’d be one thing … but these guys weren’t popping up again anywhere else. So, yeah, I decided to gear up and look into it.

Honestly, for a security agency I was expecting to have a harder time. The local office was running on a skeleton crew, barely any security crew to speak of. Sure, the electronic security was good, but I didn’t feel much of a threat. I managed to get in alright, found the files for land they owned in the city … and, more interestingly, reams and reams of medical data with plenty of John and Jane Does in the mix. They were looking for something, specific genetic markers, and the ones who were in good health were apparently being isolated. Of course, that’s when the Response Teams showed up … ha ha ha. First time I’d ever been shot at.

Anyway, I shared the findings with some people, including Night Strike, and we managed to get those people free … but … it’s not like they had anywhere to go after. It felt good, getting those people out of that holding camp but … the looks in their eyes, it was also the first time I felt like I wasn’t doing enough. It’s kind of the first time that I’d broken into a place that I wasn’t doing it for fun

But that also makes it the start of what I’m doing now. Yeah, I take some pride in that.

• Locked thread