Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

A spline is a parametric curve -- a vector line defined by a mathematical function and a series of constants. It's how smooth curves are represented in CAD programs. There are different kinds of math that can be used to define a spline, but the most common is NURBS, the non-uniform rational b-spline technique.

The name comes from drafting, where a spline is a thin bendy piece of wood used to draw a smooth interpolated curve between points. Similar root as the word "splint."

Something that is reticulated has geometry involving lots of cris-crossing lines, like the crosshair reticule of a rifle scope.

Presumably, reticulating splines involves making a bunch of these vector lines into a mesh or grid. Simcity's terrain is indeed reticulated, but I don't believe it uses any true splines.

cool thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

French Canadian posted:

You mean kid pix?

hollywood thread is thataway

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Anything that isn't parametric mechanical 3D CAD is literally MSpaint garbage for children.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

when i designed packaging we used some cad program called artioscad. it would probably suck for anything outside of that specific application but it was pretty good at getting you up and going with drawing something up. the program that they were transitioning from, impact, would blue screenf and then to get it working again you'd have to unplug and plug the dongle back in.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Visio lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

llustrator is one i use the most for drafting conceptual drawings or touching up figures in reports (like soil profiles, seismic slope stability results, etc) and it's actually pretty good and easy to use, I just wish the vector/cad portion of Illustrator was better. seems like it'd be relatively easy to do since it's all almost there, just let us give coordinate-level input/access for points. prolly my ideal program would be actual 2d CAD capabilities within illustrator itself since autocad loving sucks and weirdly slow as poo poo, and illustrator is real nice for making things look pretty and easy.

When I worked doing CNC Routing the main software we used was CASMate and I would love to know if anyone here has ever heard of it.

It was old, and required a parallel port dongle lol for licensing so it only ran on non NT windows (we used windows ME and when it crashed you had to reset)

it was sign software. so in that regard it was a lot like illustrator, a lot of focus on the aesthetic of what you were doing, lots of tools for curves and text etc.

BUT it had plenty of built in tools that allowed me to translate points with coords etc, and had a solid system of guides that allowed me to use specific coords too

As far as 2D went I was shoehorning some reasonale CAD style stuff into that software. I was using waaaay beyond the scope of what it was designed to do, BUT it did it.

And I feel ya re: Illustrator. why is it that such professional software is so poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

because it's always a small enough market that there's no real competition and/or no market pressure to improve, and because people use it for a job instead of for fun so they're willing to put up with garbage interfaces and train themselves around the software's problems

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

i see dassault has a 2d cad program called draftsight. any of you guys know how much of a pos it is?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A huge one

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
how about inventor? thats what i see used @ work

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
ycadpos

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Lightbulb Out posted:

how about inventor? thats what i see used @ work

The only good CADs for professional use are, in order:

1st) CATIA V5
Joint 3rd) SolidWorks/NX

Actual Literal Garbage) Everything else.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what about blender. I mean or any 3d software

blender is pretty drat good for free, but I have never really tried to CAD in it, although no inherent reason to think it couldnt do it

Implants
Feb 14, 2007

echinopsis posted:

what about blender. I mean or any 3d software

blender is pretty drat good for free, but I have never really tried to CAD in it, although no inherent reason to think it couldnt do it

...try it and let me know how it goes lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate maybe i will

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Lomarf Blender as CAD holy gently caress.

I mean even using Blender Mechanical, things like "drafting" and "assembly constraints" are still on the Devs wish list which makes it worthless for like 99.9% of professional applications.

It's probably just as usable for idiot spare time projects as any other free CAD software, but I doubt Boeing or Volkswagen are gonna fall over themselves to switch anytime soon.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I installed blender once like 15 years ago and my eyes bled at the interface.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
if you like poo poo engineering software you should join us on the cam side. i love having to redo all the engineer's work in mastercam because it imported their solids as polygonal surfaces because this $14000 a year piece of poo poo can't properly import the most common cad format out there and that chunk of steel came out of the machine all faceted. dear engineers, when I machine your part you're really just getting an approximation because i have to use surface smoothing kinda sorta close to tolerance to turn that polygonal mess of poo poo into smooth surfaces

the industry is also in a transitional period where all the graybeards are retiring or dying but there's still enough of them around with enough clout to stop you from being able to do stuff the better modern way. i love taking four hours to do a job that could be done in 20 minutes because you never heard of dynamic toolpaths even though trochoidal milling has been a thing for at least a decade. i know it looks scary when the machine works like that, no stop crying its okay, the smoke is normal don't turn on the coolant you'll gently caress it all up

Sauer fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 19, 2017

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

I installed blender once like 15 years ago and my eyes bled at the interface.

15 years ago huh

jammyozzy posted:

Lomarf Blender as CAD holy gently caress.

I mean even using Blender Mechanical, things like "drafting" and "assembly constraints" are still on the Devs wish list which makes it worthless for like 99.9% of professional applications.

It's probably just as usable for idiot spare time projects as any other free CAD software, but I doubt Boeing or Volkswagen are gonna fall over themselves to switch anytime soon.

i didnt even know this was a thing.

some people hate blenders ui but others who are actually competent will realise its a superior ui for efficient workflow. its by miles the best open source software there has ever been

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have a student who uses blender predominantly and while it's not at all suitable for mechanical cad, it seems to work well for his "work the shape out freeform and then recreate it accurately at a later date" workflow. certainly he is pretty fast with the interface, though he says he's been using it "since high school" so 4-8 years

i recommended rhino + t-splines to him though because it's a similar technique but builds nurbs instead of sub-d poly surfaces.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh and lol @ "superior for an efficient workflow". any proper cad program will have its interface almost completely customizable (and NOT by compiling from source) so that pros can set up the workflow that they need. maya started out as a plugin host and scripting interface bc the needs of, say, an animator are totally different from the needs of a texture artist or a modeler

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no floating windows is a good concept as is right click to select. if you know the hot keys you can fly like a dragon

and the different workspaces once you get used to it is super duper

I used to HATE when id load up a blender file from someone else because it would change the UI layout, but now I know exactly why youd do that, and spending a couple minutes setting up workspaces at the start saves so much time and is so cool and good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

oh and lol @ "superior for an efficient workflow". any proper cad program will have its interface almost completely customizable (and NOT by compiling from source) so that pros can set up the workflow that they need. maya started out as a plugin host and scripting interface bc the needs of, say, an animator are totally different from the needs of a texture artist or a modeler

i am tongue in cheek a bit because I am a blender fanboi and will promote it all the time every time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you should pirate a copy of rhino and of t-splines and start screwing around with that. i think it would suit your art very well

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe i will. i used it years and and years ago

depends how well i can export to a rendered i like i guess

worth a shot. sometimes a new kind of canvas can bring some new inspiration

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rhino reads and writes every format ever invented

there are also plugins for most modern renderers that let you run them directly from rhino

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
NX has middle-click to press the highlighted button and it's so good, it pisses me off every time I try and use it elsewhere and remember other software doesn't do that.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Origin posted:

i see dassault has a 2d cad program called draftsight. any of you guys know how much of a pos it is?

It's not that bad considering it's a free autocad clone. Decent for simple line drawings, or loving with dxfs in general. You could do a lot worse, like actually paying for autocad.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

middle tier CAD software:

OnShape -- solidworks in a web browser, made by former SW engineers, p deece for a web thing

this is the one of these i've used this decade (well, also 3d studio max but that's not cad lmao) and it's fine for some light 3d printer stuff i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ccs posted:

Blender appears to be growing in popularity. I just logged onto LinkedIn to learn that the lead animator on Mushu in Disney's Mulan just finished working on an all-Blender feature film in Toronto.

• Locked thread