Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

everything else blows rear end. sketchup? barf. freecad? lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fuckin drag em man.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

openscad lol.

there’s no good software op, only less bad. I’ve no experience with solidworks and don’t know anything but can assume it has complicated and extortionate licensing, a user hostile interface with a billion menus and configuration options that requires specific training to use

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Um excuse but if you think any CAD program except for Ms paint is legit good you're not in the depths of advanced solidworks featuredom and have not witnessed the true glory of a rage crash. Death to dassault and their layered poo poo stack kernel of fart sucking.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I heard MODO is good but it's not PARAMETRIC enough for engineers or some loving wizardry.

Same for Rhino3D or whatever it is now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

OldAlias posted:

there’s no good software op, only less bad. I’ve no experience with solidworks and don’t know anything but can assume it has complicated and extortionate licensing, a user hostile interface with a billion menus and configuration options that requires specific training to use

you left out the ecosystem of incredibly expensive, poorly supported vendor extensions

[I don't know anything about solidworks either]

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

OldAlias posted:

openscad lol.

licensing is a nightmare but actually the UI for solidworks is amazingly good and intuitive im legit impressed by it. too bad the product is a billion dollars

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
idk, I haven't used solidworks except dicking aroudn with it in in like 2005, but I mostly do 2d stuff with limited 3d and isn't it mostly for 3d work? But ya there isn't a good cad program which is kind of amazing. almost all the programs i use mostly suck and its kind of disapointing since a lot haven't changed in like 20 years except some minimal UI garbage ribbon stuff

llustrator is one i use the most for drafting conceptual drawings or touching up figures in reports (like soil profiles, seismic slope stability results, etc) and it's actually pretty good and easy to use, I just wish the vector/cad portion of Illustrator was better. seems like it'd be relatively easy to do since it's all almost there, just let us give coordinate-level input/access for points. prolly my ideal program would be actual 2d CAD capabilities within illustrator itself since autocad loving sucks and weirdly slow as poo poo, and illustrator is real nice for making things look pretty and easy.

i also wish Excel didn't suck since theres no real competition, but it does, especially once you get to the presentation portion all their graphs look like amateur-hour garbage. i've started using Grapher 13 to actually plot things for reports since it looks professional and has a lot more functionality (multi-axes, better control over gridlines, sizing like 1"=100ft grids ), but the actual spreadsheeting is non-existant so i just copy the results from excel into it. i'm fine with that i guess

don't even get me started on MS Project (vs like Primavera) there isn't even an half-way acceptable program for small-med project tracking hours (estimated vs actual), earned-value-analyses, etc. ms project routinely gives wrong numbers too and you often have to enter a number to force it to reset, undo, and then it gets the right number. what the hell

computertouchers plz make me good softwares, we will pay good moneys for it

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Xaris posted:

i also wish Excel didn't suck since theres no real competition, but it does, especially once you get to the presentation portion all their graphs look like amateur-hour garbage. i've started using Grapher 13 to actually plot things for reports since it looks professional and has a lot more functionality (multi-axes, better control over gridlines, sizing like 1"=100ft grids ), but the actual spreadsheeting is non-existant so i just copy the results from excel into it. i'm fine with that i guess

have you tried R, you could probably do everything you need to in it and they have some good graphing libraries

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
fusion360

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

OldAlias posted:

have you tried R, you could probably do everything you need to in it and they have some good graphing libraries

I've heard of it but haven't tried it personally. i thought it was some janky command prompt stats program last i remember, but i'll take a look

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Xaris posted:

idk, I haven't used solidworks except dicking aroudn with it in in like 2005, but I mostly do 2d stuff with limited 3d and isn't it mostly for 3d work? But ya there isn't a good cad program which is kind of amazing. almost all the programs i use mostly suck and its kind of disapointing since a lot haven't changed in like 20 years except some minimal UI garbage ribbon stuff

llustrator is one i use the most for drafting conceptual drawings or touching up figures in reports (like soil profiles, seismic slope stability results, etc) and it's actually pretty good and easy to use, I just wish the vector/cad portion of Illustrator was better. seems like it'd be relatively easy to do since it's all almost there, just let us give coordinate-level input/access for points. prolly my ideal program would be actual 2d CAD capabilities within illustrator itself since autocad loving sucks and weirdly slow as poo poo, and illustrator is real nice for making things look pretty and easy.

don't even get me started on MS Project (vs like Primavera) there isn't even an half-way acceptable program for small-med project tracking hours (estimated vs actual), earned-value-analyses, etc. ms project routinely gives wrong numbers too and you often have to enter a number to force it to reset, undo, and then it gets the right number. what the hell

good god, ms project and primavera make me want to die

same with DOORS. literally zero competition to the most craptacular tool in the world

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Bloody posted:

good god, ms project and primavera make me want to die

same with DOORS. literally zero competition to the most craptacular tool in the world
i actually havent used primavera, i just heard its like a nuke to kill an ant type program and way too expensive and bloated.

they used to have a program called SureTrak which was pretty good but oracle killed it when they bought em i think. its really a shame since it seems like it'd be a relatively simple program to do, and do right.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

OldAlias posted:

c. it's very complicated and the licensing system is absolutely extortionate.

the interface isn't really "user-hostile" as much as "disjointed." there are a dozen places i can point to (and indeed sometimes do in my classes) where they clearly hosed up and had to do a band-aid UX fix and it shows. there are also zillions of bugs and the error messages are meaningless. it's clearly one of those programs like word where they had to keep cramming in features without rhyme or reason and without breaking anyone's workflow. there are places where the exact same function has two different names if you access it from two different places. situations where what is apparently the same button appears in five different places and clicking three of them do one thing, but the other two do something else. incredible.

however it is still extraordinarily powerful software once you get the hang of it, and you can build things really really fast with the parametric features. it's my default software when i just want to model some little doohickey or replacement part or whatever.

rhino is another one that has a really steep learning curve but is extremely powerful when you get going with it. it's not as quick as solidworks for mechanical CAD but it makes up for that with way better surfacing tools and a huge huge plugin architecture. also mcneel is a very nice company that doesn't try to screw you over with licensing. e.g. if you buy a student license it's a full license that you can use for professional work as long as you like, just 1/5 the price.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pro tier CAD software:

solidworks -- still the king gorilla for serious use despite all its problems
rhino -- the best jack-of-all-trades, does all kinds of cool poo poo, best plugins

middle tier CAD software:

CATIA, Pro-E/Creo, Siemens NX, SolidEdge, Inventor, etc -- all basically solidworks knockoffs, just use solidworks
Alias -- amazingly powerful surface modeler but holy poo poo what a garbage interface, the worst
Fusion 360 -- weird sort of cloud-based hybrid modeler, some cool poo poo, some infuriating decisions, free for hobbyists
OnShape -- solidworks in a web browser, made by former SW engineers, p deece for a web thing

poo poo tier CAD software:

Sketchup -- stop using this for CAD! it doesn't do NURBS and its STLs come out non-manifold and borked. stop it
OpenSCAD -- lol this isn't a loving CAD program it's like asking a graphic designer to compare Illustrator and LaTeX
AutoCAD -- possibly the single worst 3d modeling program in existence, use literally anything else
LibreCAD, Vectorworks, Cobalt, FreeCAD, others -- nobody knows who you are

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ok so like here's an example that i give to my students

this panel on the left in solidworks is called the featuremanager. it has a list of the features in your file and serves as both a document structure graph and a history tree. it is extremely important -- maybe the core of the entire software. note that it's in a tabbed panel with several tabs on top.

when you edit a feature, the featuremanager switches over to the propertymanager, which lets you edit the parameters for that feature. here i am adjusting the height of the text extrusion.

at some point, someone realized that occasionally you might have to access the featuremanager to find some part of your model while you were accessing the propertymanager. for instance, i might want to make that text extrude up to an invisible plane that represents a maximum height. i would have to open the featuremanager to select that plane. uh-oh! we can't have both the propertymanager and the featuremanager shown at the same time! should we design a new interface that allows both of these to exist at the same time?

nah, let's just stick a miniature copy of the whole loving feature tree here inside the display port. it doesn't behave like the normal featuremanager but who cares. also when you have it expanded it slows down the window rendering because lol text compositing. who gives a poo poo. this is fine. i'm going to lunch.

e: also notice the two green checkmarks on the screen. i could click either of those, or i could right-click and click the same icon, or i could hit enter on the keyboard. they all do the same thing.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 8, 2017

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

everyone who's actually serious about mechanical modeling uses solidworks. using autocad or whatever is a great red flag to look out for during interviews and site tours.

there are lots of programs that do analysis or further processing of solid volumes (ANSYS, goofy CAM suites, etc) and i guess they feel obligated to be "feature-complete" so they always include these insanely kludged solid modeling interface. the real-world workflow is to make the part in solidworks then import it into whatever other program you're using.

anyway i'm gonna repost a window that solidworks 2017 showed me when i tried to use the admin option editor

great software 10/10 would extrude again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

here's my favorite solidworks error

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
we have a guy that does all his modeling in cam. yeah.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
worked with a high school teacher at the school district who managed to con solidworks into donating licenses for his entire computer lab of like 40 computers. he also got chief architect and rhino. dude was cool to work with, i remember one time hanging out in his classroom one day while he was sharing old slides from his army days in the early 80s. one story he told was how he and a buddy snuck up closer than allowed to watch a test launch of a pershing ii (oh yeah, he worked with nuclear-tipped MRBMs in west germany) and they were so close they had a hard time breathing because the rocket consumed/displaced too much oxygen or something.

it was shocking how much he needed to retire though, i remember running into him a few years after he retired and he looked seriously ten years younger than when i'd last seen him

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
There are no good CAD programs OP, but I'm sorry about your broken mind if you think CATIA is worse.

We use NX at work and it's very much the Windows 10 experience but in CAD. There's about 5 settings menus, and occasionally you'll click on something in an old model and get taken to a tool you've never come across before and cannot access by any normal means. On the plus side all your garbage from 1993 still works acceptably, but the interface and backend code is a dumpster fire to make this achievable and every user secretly wishes they'd give it up and start fresh.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I think the clickspring guy uses solidworks so it's a-ok in my book

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

fusion360 is free for idiot moron tinkerers (i.e. me)

it's hard to beat free, OP

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i don't use CAD op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Xaris posted:

in an unironic version of the ideas thread this post would be gold, as solving these types of problems would be annoying lovely work, but would no doubt be solid cash in the bank

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not like building an excel competitor, just hack something parasitic up to help those workflows in excel

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

but what about ~Revit~???

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
I'm a subcontractor for government poo poo and there was a few months where it looked like they weren't able to come to an agreement with any CAD software company at all and a higher up asked our drafting team if they could do drafting in Visio. They busted out laughing then paled as they realized upper management was serious, and was already planning on doing just that.

No but you see you can draw in Visio too so it should work for drafting right?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
No love for Creo in here, eh?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

r u ready to WALK posted:

fusion360 is free for idiot moron tinkerers (i.e. me)

it's hard to beat free, OP

ah yes, a cad tool from the makers of autocad. what could possibly go wrong

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

although free for personal use/lovely startups is extremely appealing so i am gonna check it out anyways thanks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bloody posted:

ah yes, a cad tool from the makers of autocad. what could possibly go wrong

as someone with close to 15 years of solidworks experience: fusion 360 is a mix of really powerful and really frustrating stuff. if you are a hobbyist though you can't beat free and it includes things that you will have in no other free modeling package ever.

e.g.: autodesk bought both t-splines and hsmworks. they integrated both of those modules into f360 so it has a really powerful curvature-continuous sub-d modeler and a shockingly good CAM program built-in. however, the interface is still based on autoCAD, so it's pretty bad (though you can configure it to mostly solidworks-like) and it has a weird ability to switch between parametric and non-parametric modes that is supposed to be flexible but actually is just confusing. also, in an extremely irritating move, you cannot save files locally -- only to the autodesk butt. and the only way to import geometry from another program is to upload it to their butt where it gets converted and then becomes available in your butt library.

but it's free and has much of the functionality of solidworks ($3000+) and a multi-axis CAM program ($1000+) so that's pretty deece

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

B^U

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

trilljester posted:

No love for Creo in here, eh?

it seemed like there was a big exodus from creo / pro e to solidworks a few years back. can anyone elaborate on this?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pro/e and solidworks are mostly indistinguishable but solidworks has a larger install base, and thus more support, plugins, tutorials, etc

same deal as with illustrator and corel-draw -- neither one is really superior but everyone uses illustrator so might as well get with the industry standard

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

same deal as with illustrator and corel-draw -- neither one is really superior but everyone uses illustrator so might as well get with the industry standard
I take professional offense at this

corel poo poo probably still using quadratic splines

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
i do a lot of application/licensing support for tons of engineering software, including like very CAD/CAM product under the sun

Solidworks is probably the least lovely
Then Creo

CATIA and NX are mostly only around because certain industries and massive corporations are sorta stuck with them- Boeing I think is basically married to NX

Rhino I mostly just see used in CGT stuff

Mastercam sucks poo poo and costs like $TEXAS but its another thing that specific very very large shops are tied to

We support all the Autodesk stuff but I have yet to see a real professional shop that does actual work use any of their products

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i helped my uncle build some stairs in autocad

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have downloaded fusion 360. seems to be sufficiently needs suiting. onshape was also recommended but may not be as needs suiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

so far, i have made a box

• Locked thread