Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

who will get this snipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

GalacticAcid posted:

i propose there should be a permanent black history thread in c-spam. if this one closes at the end of the month I’ll start a new one or we could just rebrand this one

make it this one

this happened a few days ago so it's technically history

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-safrica-land-exproriation/vote-in-south-africas-parliament-moves-land-reform-closer-idUSKCN1GB22I

the south african parliament is trying to amend the constitution to repossess land from white farmers, who currently own 70% or so of the viable farmland

quote:

Launching a debate on the motion in parliament, EFF leader Julius Malema said “it was time for justice” on the land issue.

“We must ensure that we restore the dignity of our people without compensating the criminals who stole our land,” he said.

:vuvu:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Gringostar posted:

William T. Sherman, John Brown, and Frederick Douglass would also look great on currency

As much as I hate to say it, and for all the unqualified good he did in burning the traitor states to the loving ground, Sherman didn't exactly have the highest opinion of black people.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Serious posting a sec...after Charlotteville some fellow I know from the pub posted on FB about how he didn't get white privilege, and didn't think it existed. I mean, the guy is basically a walking talking example (in management, a mason), but more it pissed me off that, even after living half my life in Canada nothing makes me feel more American than hearing some idiot Canadian make sweeping proclamations about US race relations. Lots of others at the pub were equally pissed off it turned out, and it lead to a really great night with a fellow American (an African American, who lived near Charlottesville) ranting for hours as the beers flowed.

So after the hangover I decided that I really needed a better perspective on what it means to be black in America. So, books. I am over half way through belle hook's Talking Back and it loving owns for perspective on the roles race, sex, and class play in society, especially academia. I

I have also got Ta-Naheshi Coates' latest collection of essays, and will follow that up with Frederick Douglass' autobiography. I would welcome further recommendations if anyone has some.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

Serious posting a sec...after Charlotteville some fellow I know from the pub posted on FB about how he didn't get white privilege, and didn't think it existed. I mean, the guy is basically a walking talking example (in management, a mason), but more it pissed me off that, even after living half my life in Canada nothing makes me feel more American than hearing some idiot Canadian make sweeping proclamations about US race relations. Lots of others at the pub were equally pissed off it turned out, and it lead to a really great night with a fellow American (an African American, who lived near Charlottesville) ranting for hours as the beers flowed.

So after the hangover I decided that I really needed a better perspective on what it means to be black in America. So, books. I am over half way through belle hook's Talking Back and it loving owns for perspective on the roles race, sex, and class play in society, especially academia. I

I have also got Ta-Naheshi Coates' latest collection of essays, and will follow that up with Frederick Douglass' autobiography. I would welcome further recommendations if anyone has some.

Which of Douglass's memoirs are you look at, Narrative, My Bondage and My Freedom, or Life and Times? For my money, the second is the best of the bunch as he goes into greater depth than he did in Narrative (which as its name suggests is just that), while Life and Times suffers a bit from being written late in life and thus tinged with being backward-facing and nostalgic at times.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Captain_Maclaine posted:

As much as I hate to say it, and for all the unqualified good he did in burning the traitor states to the loving ground, Sherman didn't exactly have the highest opinion of black people.

washington owned slaves and i think he should still be on the $1

lincoln should still be on the $5 as well and he wasn't fond of black people, he just hated slavery

realistically, washington, lincoln, and franklin are fine where they are. maybe keep jefferson on the $2 as well

the $10, $20, and $50 should be abolitionists, famous us women, and civil war generals respectively

and wilson needs to be replaced by fdr on the $100,00 because gently caress wilson

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Bilirubin posted:

who will get this snipe?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

always bet on black

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Wrap it up guys it's back to white history months

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gringostar posted:

the $10, $20, and $50 should be abolitionists, famous us women, and civil war generals respectively
Grant is already on the $50

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

keep Grant on the 50, he earned it through a lifetime effort of drinking and killing racist southerners

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

keep Grant on the 50, he earned it through a lifetime effort of drinking and killing racist southerners

Grant wasn't really that much of a drinker. His reputation as a drunk comes from a combination of him being a huge lightweight who got stupid off like two drinks, and vindictive Southern historians.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
grant is far more notable for his capacity for manly, soulful weeping, a characteristic he shared with charlemagne

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
sherman in the front of the $50, lee surrendering to grant at appomattox on the back

harriet tubman on the front of the $20, the john brown mural on the back

sacajawea/sitting bull/crazy horse the front of the $10, trail of tears on the back

Gringostar has issued a correction as of 22:55 on Mar 1, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gringostar posted:

sherman in the front of the $50, lee surrendering to grant at appomattox on the back

at the end of the day both those guys were still fighting for white supremacy, just a supremacy ruled by yankee capitalists rather than shared between those capitalists and the dixie aristocrats

john brown for the $50, harriet should get her bill to herself

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Which of Douglass's memoirs are you look at, Narrative, My Bondage and My Freedom, or Life and Times? For my money, the second is the best of the bunch as he goes into greater depth than he did in Narrative (which as its name suggests is just that), while Life and Times suffers a bit from being written late in life and thus tinged with being backward-facing and nostalgic at times.

the second is the one that had been recommended to me yes

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

the second is the one that had been recommended to me yes

Don't get me wrong all three are worth reading, it's just My Bondage and My Freedom is the best of the bunch.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

zeal posted:

at the end of the day both those guys were still fighting for white supremacy, just a supremacy ruled by yankee capitalists rather than shared between those capitalists and the dixie aristocrats

while extremely not wrong, have you considered how much sherman and the southern surrender would piss off racists?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

zeal posted:

john brown for the $50, harriet should get her bill to herself

Karl Marx congratulating Abe Lincoln for freeing the slaves on the front; Sojourner Truth peeing into the ocular cavities of John C. Calhoun on the back.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

it would be extremely weird to put the Trail of Tears on money imo

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

The Kingfish posted:

it would be extremely weird to put the Trail of Tears on money imo

better that than jackson who loving caused it

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
who is on bitcoin

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

GalacticAcid posted:

who is on bitcoin

Mark, who did nothing wrong.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Gringostar posted:

better that than jackson who loving caused it

idk. is it better to have Thomas Jefferson on money or a picture of a plantation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Wrap it up guys it's back to white history months

march is womens' history month, but you are allowed to post about non-white women if you promise to be brief.

• Locked thread