Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papa Was A Video Toaster

Is ska jazz?

ETA:

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Is ska jazz?

ETA:

ska is not jazz because people love jazz

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Is ska jazz?

ETA:

Tommy McCook was heavily influenced by jazz. He played sax in his own bands and in the Skatalites

https://youtu.be/g_iekRKwJwk

Good solos on this one

LawfulWaffle

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Having listened to the opening theme to Cowboy Bebop several times in my life, I consider myself something of a connoisseur of the jazz arts. As such, let me tell you the true secret of jazz, or as it's known in the right circles, Jazz: While playing a song, add in a few bad notes from time to time. Just play the wrong note, or do the right note at the wrong time. True jazz experts (jazzperts) can play a song using only the bad notes and make "beautiful" "music". It's like they say: Playing jazz is like playing jazz, it's all about the good notes you don't play.

Duckbox

actually, jazz is the only thing that isn't like jazz

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Here is my attempt to make a serious jazz piano recording. What do you all think of it?

http://tindeck.com/listen/dojym

The song is "Stardust" which was written by Hoagy Carmichael, with lyrics by Mitchell Parish. This song is 91 years old!

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

blaise rascal posted:

Here is my attempt to make a serious jazz piano recording. What do you all think of it?

http://tindeck.com/listen/dojym

The song is "Stardust" which was written by Hoagy Carmichael, with lyrics by Mitchell Parish. This song is 91 years old!

you're 91 years old :evilbuddy:

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I listened to the whole thing and it's really good! I like that you swing from a more staccato strict 4/4 to a syncopated rhythm in the right places. It's a nice selection, too.

Did you stay on the sheet music or did you color outside the lines any?

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

Hugh Malone posted:

I listened to the whole thing and it's really good! I like that you swing from a more staccato strict 4/4 to a syncopated rhythm in the right places. It's a nice selection, too.

Did you stay on the sheet music or did you color outside the lines any?
Thanks for the compliment. It's my own version, although the chords I used were heavily inspired by this recording by the Henry Mancini Orchestra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpzuFW3xu04

Switching between 4/4 and 6/8 is my own innovation, and it's my favorite part of my version. (I'm sure I stole the idea from somewhere, although I can't put my finger on what exactly inspired me.)

To me, Stardust is one of "the" songs. Like, it's just so freaking good. The lyrics are kind of weird, but the melody is perfect.

e:

Hugh Malone posted:

you're 91 years old :evilbuddy:
I think that if you like jazz, it means you have an old soul, so I take this as a compliment.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 24, 2018

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
im actually old, i was just messin in the spirit of the "jazz make u old" thrad :)

alnilam

Who's been drinking bootleg hooch and listening to the jazz?

doo wacka doo wacka doo
it's the sneak!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

nice recording blaise

• Locked thread