Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Laserface posted:

Dominator featured Avril Lavignes "girlflriend".

in like 6 languages :v:
Speaking of which, I bought copies of the PSP Burnout games (Legends and Dominator) last week and they should be arriving in the mail any day now. Never played either of them, so that should be interesting.

I'm also planning to do a retrospective series of articles and possibly videos about Burnout over the next few weeks, since I now own every game in the series aside from the Crash spinoff and the abysmal DS version of Legends. Content creation is part of my official job description, so this'll be a good way to put in some hours. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Doc Morbid posted:

Speaking of which, I bought copies of the PSP Burnout games (Legends and Dominator) last week and they should be arriving in the mail any day now. Never played either of them, so that should be interesting.

I'm also planning to do a retrospective series of articles and possibly videos about Burnout over the next few weeks, since I now own every game in the series aside from the Crash spinoff and the abysmal DS version of Legends. Content creation is part of my official job description, so this'll be a good way to put in some hours. :getin:

I worry the day you're contractually obligated to play Burnout Crash.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I already bought this game like 3 times but I'm ready for a 4th copy, this is my favorite racing game ever.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Doc Morbid posted:

They had to remove a couple of songs due to licensing or whatever, but those were nothing you'd miss.

And yeah, the most noticeable changes are to the graphics. Along with upping the resolution, they improved stuff like shadows, reflections and ambient occlusion and redid the textures so they hold up at 4K.

As long as Girlfriend is in it's ok.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

My takeaway from Burnout Legends after the first set of events is that this would be one of the better games in the series if it was released on a home console. Criterion did an impressive job cramming the entire Burnout 3 experience onto the PSP and it's great to drive on these Burnout 1/2 tracks with Burnout 3's gameplay, but the limitations of the hardware really hold it back. The frame rate being halved is a compromise I can live with since it's at least a pretty stable 30 fps, but the big problem I've got with Legends is the fact I can't see poo poo. The resolution on the PSP is so low and the textures so muddy that avoiding crashes can be really difficult. The rubberbanding also feels more blatant than in the other Burnout games, and while this isn't really a problem with the game itself it's pretty uncomfortable to hold the PSP's right shoulder button constantly (to accelerate or boost, depending on your control scheme).

I don't know why EA didn't re-release this on PS2 and Xbox, that would've fixed almost every complaint I have about the game. Maybe they were worried about cannibalizing Burnout Revenge sales.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Discovered the best thing about Burnout Legends, which is that it has the Crash Mode junctions from Burnout 3 but removes the multiplier icons. Now, instead of always aiming for the 4x multiplier, you actually need to figure out how to approach the junction to get a good score like in Burnout 2 and Revenge. I'm liking this a lot.

If EA plans to remaster more Burnout games, Legends would be at the top of my wishlist at this point. This game is way too good to remain on a handheld system.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Please post your favourite spotify tunes for burnout so I can grow my soundtrack because the default one is bad

HEY HEY
YOU YOU
YOU HAVE BAD OPINIONS

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Man, this game is as fun as ever but what's not fun is that it crashes once every hour or so? I'm on an OG PS4 but this is the only time I've ever had it crash at all, let alone regularly.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Wait, so is there no crash at all in Paradise Remastered?

I know there wasn’t a dedicated mode but man I need to get my crash on!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wait, so is there no crash at all in Paradise Remastered?

I know there wasn’t a dedicated mode but man I need to get my crash on!
There's the Showtime crash mode, same as the original Paradise.

[e] this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KPoIHJDVE4

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 27, 2018

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Burnout paradise on sale on Xbox for 30 dollars.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Burnout paradise on sale on Xbox for 30 dollars.

The remaster or original?

Lame they didn’t just make it compatible with the One.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ultimate Mango posted:

The remaster or original?

Lame they didn’t just make it compatible with the One.

Watcha mean?

You can play the original on Xbox one.

The remaster is the one on sale.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

One thing I am noticing now that I am playing this again is that the point to point style racing really loving sucks.

you have 8 total finish points on the map so a significant amount of your races consist of fairly similar routes.

Playing it for a few nights in a row and had like 8-10 races all finish at the naval yard in a row which got pretty boring.

I also maybe sucked the fun out of the game a bit by rushing through all the burning routes as soon as they are available. Im currently in a very fast car (Rossolini Tempesta GT) that can easily finish a race with none of the AI cars visible on the minimap or claw back a victory from 8th in the last 0.6mi. It definitely scales the cars you race against to keep it tight but I feel like the difficulty curve hasnt quite caught up with me yet.

And while Paradise is a technically amazing game for its era, the point to point racing has zero flow to it and really ruins the feel of burnout.

lets hope it sells well and it pushes EA/Criterion to make a new game or revive Burnout 3/Revenge :)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I consider burnout paradise to be one of my favorite arcade racing games and even I have to agree with that. Marked man, races (like 90% are point to point anyway) burning routes, and the bike stuff, all have a limited amount of end points. Gets really boring.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yeah, there's way too few finish points in Paradise. That's probably the biggest complaint I have about the game, to be honest.

Anyway, I think there might be something going on with Burnout 3 on the Xbox side, because a few days ago I went to record footage for my review thing (alternate link) and my 360 installed a new update for the game. That update was not there the last time I played, which was a few weeks earlier. This doesn't necessarily mean anything, but the fact is that at least some of the games Microsoft has been rolling out for Xbone backwards compatibility have gotten new patches on the 360 as well.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 21, 2018

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

We know what's coming on Xbox bc this month. And burnout wasn't on it.

But there could be a surprise announcement for burnout 3 or it could come next month.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Ineffiable posted:

We know what's coming on Xbox bc this month. And burnout wasn't on it.

But there could be a surprise announcement for burnout 3 or it could come next month.
Yeah, I know it wasn't on there this month. If they're going to announce something, I would assume they'd do it sometime around E3 because that's just around the corner.

But again, this is all just speculation based on one update (which might just have been my 360 redownloading an old update for whatever reason, who knows). Burnout 3 is probably one the more requested titles for original Xbox BC so I would be surprised if they didn't release it at some point, but who knows when they might get around to it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Oh hey, speaking of backwards compatibility:

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/993941948196179968

I'd actually have rather had the original Xbox version because that one has slightly less ridiculous bloom lighting. As for the 360 port... well, here's a few screenshots from my retrospective article so judge for yourself:

At least the biggest problem the 360 version had, the performance, should now be a lot smoother especially on the BoneX.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 8, 2018

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I'm picking that game up.

Extra bonus is that it's only ten bucks. That's not a sale price that's the regular price.

Buy it just so they have even more of a reason to bring takedown next.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Well, the Xbox One BC version does definitely improve the 360 version of Revenge. I only have a BoneX so I can't test on a regular old Bone, but on the X it runs at a locked 60fps 100% of the time which is a huge step up from the way it (my digital PAL version at least) ran on the 360 itself. On the original hardware, some maps like Eternal City went into slideshow territory when a lot of poo poo was happening, but that is no longer the case here. It looks completely smooth. Hopefully that's also the case on non-X hardware.

It also looks as if the bloom is less overwhelming than it was on an actual 360. Even the most Next-Gen Filter-y tracks like Angel Valley are looking more like this (original PS2):

than this (Xbox 360):

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 9, 2018

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So especially if you have an Xbox one x, the 360 bc edition on it is the most definitive edition of the game to play now? You even get the dlc cars for free.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Ineffiable posted:

So especially if you have an Xbox one x, the 360 bc edition on it is the most definitive edition of the game to play now? You even get the dlc cars for free.
I would say so, yeah. The original PS2/Xbox release still has its merits - the bloom filter is a bit more restrained (and some tracks don't have it at all) and it feels like Takedowns are easier to perform than in the 360 port. It might be that I've just been getting lucky with my shunts on the original version, but the AI definitely seems like it's harder to knock around on the 360 (edit: Yeah, I did a bunch of Road Rages on PS2 and it's definitely easier to get Takedowns in that version). But yeah, aside from those details, the 360 BC edition is the way to go now that the performance issues have been sorted out.

I also went back to check if I was imagining things or if my recording equipment was messing things up when it came to the bloom effect on the 360, and the game absolutely does look better on the BoneX. On the 360, all the bright areas are overly blown out, dark areas suffer from serious black crush and the whole thing looks overexposed as you can see in the screenshots, but these problems aren't nearly as bad on the BC edition. I know the Bone's 360 emulator doesn't change the game code itself, but it seems to render some stuff differently and manages to avoid the issues Revenge had on original hardware.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 9, 2018

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

gently caress Yeah we are *this* close to a Burnout 3 remaster/BC release and I am excited.

potentially they are doing this as market research for a new game altogether?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Friendly reminder that practically none of the original burnout team actually exist at Criterion anymore.

If you don't think having most of the original members is important, remember what happened to mass effect when they outsourced it to a completely different team.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

To be fair, ME: Andromeda's development was a complete shitshow from day one, just a horribly mismanaged mess that nobody would've been able to salvage in the end. I'm sure Criterion and/or Ghost Games could do a fine job with a new Burnout even without all the old crew, as long as EA doesn't gently caress everything up.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Doc Morbid posted:

as long as EA doesn't gently caress everything up.

cmon now

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I was going to say something about them not always ruining everything, but then I thought about it and realized I actually don't remember the last new EA release (Paradise Remastered doesn't count because it's, well, a remaster) they didn't gently caress up in some fashion, either with lootboxes or other bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The camera angle is too low in Revenge. its like they decided to make it low to make traffic checking a more viable option than sitting in the oncoming lane.

• Locked thread