Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm super curious about how you'll be tackling the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Some Numbers posted:

I'm super curious about how you'll be tackling the game.

I'm still workshopping it out, but I'll probably be doing tons of mini-updates for stuff like side-quests, towns w/ Path Actions, optional dungeons, and so on while letting the thread vote for the order I tackle character stories, which will likely each take two updates.

So there's going to be a lot of updates, but many will be so short that I shouldn't be too overwhelmed from all the content, and may sometimes do a couple a day or something like that. We'll see how the execution goes, of course.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

PurpleXVI posted:

Thanks for the LP!

Looking forward to Octopath, I've heard great things about it.
I've heard nothing but meh, but I suppose the LP will be worth checking out.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Nothing but meh, about Octopath? What have you been listening to? Octopath is currently my favorite RPG on the Switch, it's really good.

Olberic is the actual best, because he's so honest.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks for completing the LP! Chrono Trigger came out slightly before my time, but I've heard the name bandied about a ton. It was nice to see what it was all about in the end. Some really interesting ideas in there with the time travel.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Chrono Trigger is one of my all-time favorite games, and it was great to read through this and see so many tiny details I missed, as well as all the background mechanical and development information provided throughout this thread.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Mega64 posted:

This must be the person who wrote Magus.

This, of course, would be Masato Kato; he was a script writer on Chrono Trigger here-- as I understand it he's largely responsible for the Zeal sections. His work is, for better or worse, really associated with the PSX era of JRPGs. He was a writer and planner on both FF7 and Xenogears, and his directorial debut was Chrono Cross. I like his work a lot, but, well. There's good reasons not to care for it.

Thanks for the thread, Mega!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
+1 to the chorus of praise. Great game, great LP, drunk no1!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Great LP as always, Mega. Trying to figure out how to get my wife to see most of this game at some point so she'll get a number of my shirts/hoodies/keychains, largely because this LP has been spiking my interest in replaying it.

Love Octopath. Won't be following along as I want to finish it myself first, but it's just so loving fun to play.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
In my teens, when I figured out how to load songs into my Nokia 3315 I tried my hand at creating two ring tones:

1. Magus' theme - my ringtone for when my parents call me
2. Schala's Theme - my standard ringtone for all other calls

No one understood the reference while they were touting the Itchy and Scratchy theme or the X-Men TAS theme.

All in all, thanks Mega64 for LPing my favorite game of all time. Count me as one of those people that thought I played CT inside out and the LP still showed me new things.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

animeluva1 posted:

In my teens, when I figured out how to load songs into my Nokia 3315 I tried my hand at creating two ring tones:

1. Magus' theme - my ringtone for when my parents call me
2. Schala's Theme - my standard ringtone for all other calls

No one understood the reference while they were touting the Itchy and Scratchy theme or the X-Men TAS theme.

All in all, thanks Mega64 for LPing my favorite game of all time. Count me as one of those people that thought I played CT inside out and the LP still showed me new things.

Same but Crono's theme and Frog's theme.

Also Mega--this was an awesome LP, looking forward to your next!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Want to witness a human being achieve misery and hopelessness in real time? Because I'm going to make the worst decision in my life and stream a run of the Lost Sanctum, a bonus dungeon added to the DS version that is complete and utter garbage. Why? Why not? It'll be miserable and probably boring as hell. Time permitting, I may stream other bonus content too, like the Dimensional Vortex or the dumb monster arena thing.

Tentative time is Friday (10/26) at 6PM Eastern, but it could end up on Saturday instead depending on stuff. I'll be streaming on Twitch as usual.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Want to witness a human being achieve misery and hopelessness in real time?

Hmmm, I do love me some schadenfreude...

Mega64 posted:

Because I'm going to make the worst decision in my life and stream a run of the Lost Sanctum, a bonus dungeon added to the DS version that is complete and utter garbage.

Please don't, you have so much to live for?

Mega64 posted:

Why? Why not?

This is not a mountain, "because its there" or "why not" is not a suitable answer!

Mega64 posted:

It'll be miserable and probably boring as hell. Time permitting, I may stream other bonus content too, like the Dimensional Vortex or the dumb monster arena thing.

:negative:

Godspeed, you'll need all the help you can get.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Want to witness a human being achieve misery and hopelessness in real time? Because I'm going to make the worst decision in my life and stream a run of the Lost Sanctum, a bonus dungeon added to the DS version that is complete and utter garbage. Why? Why not? It'll be miserable and probably boring as hell. Time permitting, I may stream other bonus content too, like the Dimensional Vortex or the dumb monster arena thing.

Tentative time is Friday (10/26) at 6PM Eastern, but it could end up on Saturday instead depending on stuff. I'll be streaming on Twitch as usual.

Don't do this to yourself. Please.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mega64 posted:

... You know what? Go for it. :hai:

Because no matter how bad it is... you'll have something much better to look forward to after it's over.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ZeButler posted:

Nothing but meh, about Octopath? What have you been listening to?

Goons turned on it after the first month

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tae posted:

Goons turned on it after the first month

We did? I certainly didn't. I'll admit it's not perfect, but it's still a great game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

... Next you're gonna tell us you're gonna be SSLPing Golden Sun.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I'll probably be asleep, will this be uploaded elsewhere later?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I usually repost my streams on my Youtube channel. I’ll post the link here when it’s up.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

We did? I certainly didn't. I'll admit it's not perfect, but it's still a great game.

Yeah, it definitely has some flaws that can be improved in a sequel, but it's still one of the best RPGs I've played in a while.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Carbon dioxide posted:

... Next you're gonna tell us you're gonna be SSLPing Golden Sun.

With animated gifs to capture the wiggle text.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Praise++ for this thread, it's always a treat to see CT be enjoyed all over again.

Maybe one day we'll get an actual good remake, but until then we have SNES emulation, right?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Starting a little early but will mess with Arena stuff until it's time to actually start.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Still processing so quality is bad for now, but here's the full stream. I'll do edited videos later.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

RedMagus posted:

Praise++ for this thread, it's always a treat to see CT be enjoyed all over again.

Maybe one day we'll get an actual good remake, but until then we have SNES emulation, right?

What's wrong with the remakes we have if you just ignore the added stuff?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The only thing really is the new translation, and it's overall better anyway since the translators there didn't have to deal with censorship and a tight time crunch, though it's still a subjective thing and Woolsey's translation still has its charm.

Otherwise, they fixed the issues with the Steam version so it's actually worth playing now. If only they'd do the same for FF5 and 6...

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Mostly it was a complaint about the translation & the graphics. Hopefully they do the SNES ROM when they release it on VC for Switch

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Thanks for documenting one of my favourite games of all time, Mega64! It's been quite a few years since I last played CT so reading this thread was a great way to enjoy it. You really did it justice.

Bonus thanks for showing off things I never knew about, despite beating this game at least 10 times.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

whitehelm posted:

What's wrong with the remakes we have if you just ignore the added stuff?

man, i feel like we're coming full circle to the first page of the thread again. i had an analogy, see:

Blood Sally posted:

I don't like it because it's completely out of place and poorly implemented. Chrono Trigger without the extra content is like sitting down to enjoy a delicious meal at your favourite restaurant. Chrono Trigger with the extra content is like sitting down to enjoy that same delicious meal at that same favourite restaurant, only someone took a poo poo in the corner and it hasn't been cleaned up. Sure, I can ignore it, but it's kinda gross and smells a little bit, so by virtue of being in the restaurant it kinda drags down the experience just a little bit. Food was still good, but if I were to go back and eat there again I'd want to make sure I did so when there wasn't anything stinking up the place.

That's just my personal take on it, though, so I don't really see what's not to get. I mean, the DS version is fine for what it is and has some features I don't really mind, it just makes me wish they could've done a better job on creating an updated/remastered definitive version of the game.

yeah, you could ignore the new features, but they're stinking up a game that otherwise has few flaws and that just kinda sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Octopath Traveler is up!

• Locked thread