Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
You guys are ruining the experience man. You're robbing people of the experience of getting robbed.

Also, not paying the owner when you stay at the guest house? Is this something Ryo's father would approve? Where's your honor? Your wude? What's next, you're gonna tell everyone that they should gamble all their money on Big or Small instead of working hard for their cash? Shame on you people. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Early on you're going to get mugged, and lose all your cash. It's smart to convert your money into either lighters or capsule toys, then sell them later at the pawn shop.

I don't think selling your carried over toys right away makes much sense, but someone in thread might know something I don't.

This is loving hilarious.

"Give us all your money! Now get outta here, you and your insanity pockets full of hundreds of capsule toys!"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Hey what can a kid do with that many lighters anyway?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i am harry posted:

Vapes didn't exist yet

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm pretty early on in this game but I'm enjoying it a lot. The urban detective work Ryo is doing here kind of reminds me of Raymond Chandler novels of all things, which has been a pleasant surprise.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i am harry posted:

Ryo's gotta relax somehow :350:

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

man nurse posted:

The forklift stuff and the book carrying stuff in particular are excruciating in how long they go on for.

Might be misremembering but for the books at least if you keep running out and failing the QTE on purpose you burn the time a lot faster, you won't get the move scrolls though.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Dreadwroth posted:

Let me hunt down the murderer of my father....

riight after I play with this kitten and collect some capsule toys.

Oh poo poo I need to forklift drift!

What the gently caress was I doing again?

Grandma continued to give you money until the moment you got serious about avenging your father. Then she stopped.
You could have kept playing games and drinking sodas.

The ultimate goon summer simulator. :allears:

Fake edit: actually you knew kung fu in the game. The ultimate goon power fantasy :allears:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm so rusty, Eileen is kicking my rear end.

Also, Xiuying owns.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I had forgotten just how long you have to drive the forklift for....

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

I had forgotten just how long you have to drive the forklift for....

Yeah, even I struggled continuing with it after a while. Push through! It's worth it to get to Shenmue 2.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I remember being disappointed that I couldn't go back and forklift some more after it was over.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

S/O to 10 year old me who rushed home every day for a week to do the Forklift cause getting paid felt cool and exciting even tho there's not really much to spend it on.

I remember being genuinely a little bummed when they let you go cause I was hoping for another big payday to, i dunno buy hot dogs and ramen and music tapes I guess

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/jJutZaR.mp4https://i.imgur.com/jJutZaR.mp4https://i.imgur.com/jJutZaR.mp4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've failed this motorbike bit three times now, why is the time limit so short???

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

I've failed this motorbike bit three times now, why is the time limit so short???

Yeah, they really made the time limit too tight on it. I only made it by a mere second or two on like my third attempt. The most important thing is to avoid scraping the walls, so let go of accelerating when you're rounding corners.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shenmue was an innovator on many game design fronts, including the now-classic mandatory scenario 95% of the way through the story featuring mechanics you've never used before and never will after.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

man nurse posted:

Yeah, they really made the time limit too tight on it. I only made it by a mere second or two on like my third attempt. The most important thing is to avoid scraping the walls, so let go of accelerating when you're rounding corners.

Yeah I got in my fourth go, why have a brake button when braking ever means you're never going to beat it??

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Got the Shenmue 1 platinum. :clint: Had to spar with Fuku-San like three times but the trophy finally popped up.

Unsure if I want to attempt a 2 plat though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fuku-san sparring popped up first time first for me, seems I was lucky.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Shenmue was an innovator on many game design fronts, including the now-classic mandatory scenario 95% of the way through the story featuring mechanics you've never used before and never will after.
Uh the tutorial is right there from the beginning, it's the Hang On machine

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

One more trophy and I'll have platinum in both Shenmue games!

I don't want it to end. It's gonna be a long year waiting for Shenmue III.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
Fuku-san practice achievement weirdly popped for me hours after giving up on ever getting it, while doing something completely unrelated to dojos or practice or fuku.

might have been related to popping out to a new game and back again (in order to get the phone the police achievement)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe, I got it fairly easily and I'd been closing the game a lot to get rid of the audio bug. I got the letter cutscene where you're forced to spar with him and then went out back and sparred with him again and it popped then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We're the QTE's always so finicky in Shenmue 2? I don't think I've gotten one of the multiple button press ones first time yet.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

We're the QTE's always so finicky in Shenmue 2? I don't think I've gotten one of the multiple button press ones first time yet.

Yeah, they've always been dogshit like that. The length of time you have to pull them off also wildly varies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The story goes on....

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Apparently we were gonna get full on HD Remakes of the first two games at one point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O7x0Urgvz4

I'm happy with what we got, so no big loss, but it is interesting to see they were working on it at one point.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I saw it too, it's a shame but from a financial standpoint it probably wouldn't work out too well I feel. I'm also glad we got the ports as is, the graphics still look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Shenmue III has a Steam store page now! :siren:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/878670/Shenmue_III/

Pretty surreal, in the "This is really happening" kind of way.

• Locked thread