Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
My wife is a Canadian citizen employed by Canadian Company Eh. Company Eh currently has a contract with American Company B, and my wife is currently working at one of Company B's offices in the US under an L1-B visa. She's been working on a project Company B has with Client C, but they now want her to work on a project for Client D. Client D has a very stringent vetting process for sub-contractors, and they want her to submit an updated background security check, including the past three years of income tax returns. My wife (and I) are both quite leery of just handing over such personal information, but on the other hand we can't think of anything nefarious they could potentially do with it.

Company B has asked her today to provide the information to Client D by tomorrow. I'm inclined that she say something along the lines of "I'm not outright rejecting the request, but I need to speak to my lawyer first", and then actually speak with a lawyer. She's worried that if she puts up any resistance that they could pack her off back to Canada (which tbqh wouldn't break my heart in the least) and she could lose her job with Company Eh as a result. I personally think that any Canadian company who would fire an employee who says "I need to speak to a lawyer before providing you with personal financial information you may not be entitled to" would be opening themselves up to wrongful dismissal suits.

Any thoughts?

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If the company handles sensitive stuff they may do a more comprehensive background including financials to make sure that employees and contractors aren't unduly vulnerable to... outside influences.

It could just be them being weird. I would frame that it is an unusual request so you are in the process of reviewing with a lawyer and if they can provide more information on what the information will be used for, that's fine. If you want to review with a lawyer get on that poo poo ASAP so you can have the process underway and it doesn't seem like you are trying to stonewall.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If the company handles sensitive stuff they may do a more comprehensive background including financials to make sure that employees and contractors aren't unduly vulnerable to... outside influences.

It could just be them being weird. I would frame that it is an unusual request so you are in the process of reviewing with a lawyer and if they can provide more information on what the information will be used for, that's fine. If you want to review with a lawyer get on that poo poo ASAP so you can have the process underway and it doesn't seem like you are trying to stonewall.

The client in question has had at least one widely-publicized issue with a contractor in the past, so your explanation makes sense. Thanks.

In any case, the question has been put to bed completely by her direct employer, who has flat-out refused the request and also advised her not to give them her salary. He didn't explain why, but I suspect it's because Company B could potentially use that info in negotiating her billing rate.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

runupon cracker posted:

The client in question has had at least one widely-publicized issue with a contractor in the past, so your explanation makes sense. Thanks.

In any case, the question has been put to bed completely by her direct employer, who has flat-out refused the request and also advised her not to give them her salary. He didn't explain why, but I suspect it's because Company B could potentially use that info in negotiating her billing rate.

Yes, almost certainly - that would reveal margin for her employer.

• Locked thread