Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I've been with my current bank for about 5 years. It's mostly okay but interest is next to nothing and they've done some questionable things in the community. An extra fifty dollars a year and not patronizing a system that crashes the economy every decade or so seems worth transferring. I've used Vanguard for the same amount of time so I understand the benefits of the model over splitting investors and customers.

I've read the outline at https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/best-credit-unions/ and that seems to lean towards Alliant as the default solution. I've seen plenty of goon smugness about using a credit union instead of a bank. Would any of these goons like to share their experiences or what they considered when choosing a CU?

Relevant Information:
- I live in the Greater Boston area
- I'm fine not having a physical branch to visit
- I have a paycheck automatically deposited twice a month
- I pay rent by check once a month
- I pay utilities once a month via automatic bank transfer
- My account consists of the standard six months living expenses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Microcline posted:

I've been with my current bank for about 5 years. It's mostly okay but interest is next to nothing and they've done some questionable things in the community. An extra fifty dollars a year and not patronizing a system that crashes the economy every decade or so seems worth transferring. I've used Vanguard for the same amount of time so I understand the benefits of the model over splitting investors and customers.

I've read the outline at https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/best-credit-unions/ and that seems to lean towards Alliant as the default solution. I've seen plenty of goon smugness about using a credit union instead of a bank. Would any of these goons like to share their experiences or what they considered when choosing a CU?

Relevant Information:
- I live in the Greater Boston area
- I'm fine not having a physical branch to visit
- I have a paycheck automatically deposited twice a month
- I pay rent by check once a month
- I pay utilities once a month via automatic bank transfer
- My account consists of the standard six months living expenses

It works just like any other bank except you have the knowledge that the bank is owned by the account-holders instead of by profit-seeking shareholders. That's all it is. The same considerations that go into choosing a good bank go into choosing a credit union: services, interest rates, fees, etc. Like a bank, many credit unions let you join online, but others have branches and you can just walk in and sign up. Most credit unions have some sort of membership requirement, such as only offering accounts to people belonging to specific professions, but plenty of them also will let you just make a small donation to become eligible for membership

My credit union has a checking account that pays 0.85% if you have direct deposit attached, and it's available to anyone living in the state. I think that's pretty cool. A bank saving account might get me a little more but my credit union is rad for other reasons.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I use alliant and like it good so far. Not any different from a regular bank imo.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I just signed up with radius bank. They pay 0.85% if your balance is over 2.5k and 1.19% if your balance is over 100k. Most important factors for me were high ATM withdrawal limits (for Vegas trips), refund of ATM fees since you won't have a branch nearby, and high mobile check deposit limits.

A savings account was out of the question due to the pain in the rear end 6 transaction per month rule.

There's nothing magical about a credit union. If one offered better terms then I would have gone with them but I didn't find any.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

potatoducks posted:

A savings account was out of the question due to the pain in the rear end 6 transaction per month rule.
Why are you contributing/withdrawing from your savings so often?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
To be clear, that transaction rule is standard for all savings accounts, but only applies to certain types of withdrawals & transfers. It's a federal regulation.

Savings accounts should be used for actual savings. Checking accounts are for daily spending. If you're withdrawing from savings so often that the limits are an actual problem, you're doing something wrong.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008
Alliant owns. They reimburse ATM fees and have a killer cash-back Visa.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

moana posted:

Why are you contributing/withdrawing from your savings so often?

I don't have a separate savings account because I need the buffer for my checking account.. I just try to keep a certain balance in there and call it my emergency fund but don't freak out if I dip a bit below it temporarily for a large purchase or whatever reason. We have a ton of autopays (5 credit cards, mortgage, homeowners/disability/life/car insurance, utilities, student loans, etc.) and it was just too much :effort: to keep track of it all. This way, I can just look at it once a month or so to make sure that nothing has gone horribly awry.

It's not the most money efficient solution, but I appreciate the flexibility.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I keep a second checking account at a completely seperate bank for autopays. Inbox bank gets the deposits, outbox bank gets the autowithdraws, manual weekly transfer between the two. This way I've got two buffers and a missed paycheck or a couple extra digits on a utility bill can't turbofuck me.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I've considered moving to a Credit Union, but I'm worried by the lack of two-factor authentication at most CUs. Also, CUs are so much smaller than big banks, that I can't really see how they could have enough resources to invest in IT security.

For example, this guy on twitter tweeted at Alliant CU back in 2014 about 2FA, and their response was "we're working on it we'll let you know when it is up soon!" Alliant CU doesn't have 2FA yet so you've gotta wonder what is going on behind the scenes there, and this is one of the biggest CUs out there.
https://twitter.com/alliantcu/status/524924675072462848?lang=en

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Just to let you know, there are usually much better "local" credit unions.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/high-interest-savings-to-get/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/alden-credit-union-5-rewards-checking-account-5000/

That one gives up to 5% for 5k if you live in Massachusetts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
and if you make 20 POS transactions with your debit card per month

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

laxbro posted:

I've considered moving to a Credit Union, but I'm worried by the lack of two-factor authentication at most CUs. Also, CUs are so much smaller than big banks, that I can't really see how they could have enough resources to invest in IT security.

For example, this guy on twitter tweeted at Alliant CU back in 2014 about 2FA, and their response was "we're working on it we'll let you know when it is up soon!" Alliant CU doesn't have 2FA yet so you've gotta wonder what is going on behind the scenes there, and this is one of the biggest CUs out there.
https://twitter.com/alliantcu/status/524924675072462848?lang=en

No bank that claims to use 2FA actually has it properly implemented (sending a code to email or text isn't proper) so who cares really.

That said my credit union uses improperly implemented 2FA so they definitely exist. As far as security goes there is a lot of standardization and regulations they have to abide by to even become a CU (similar for banks) and most of the systems banks use are ancient so they have plenty of 3rd party support/consulting available. In addition your deposits are insured.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

and if you make 20 POS transactions with your debit card per month

Yeah, Radius Bank also doesn't have any dumbass requirements like required debit card transactions.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
People can be all evangelical about CUs but as stated they’re just another insured depositary institution. The main difference is the alignment of depositor and shareholder interests as you point out. When you do need a branch, CUs can potentially have better interstate access than local banks by way of branch cooperative networks. Downside is that you can’t join a CU at will. You have to satisfy its eligibility requirement usually determined by residence or employer.

I’ve recently moved my second tier savings to a CU while keeping my first tier checking account at an interstate bank, because it happens to have a branch near my parents’ house on the other side of the country. If you’re looking for deposit interest rates above chump levels, definitely look at CUs in your area (or national ones).

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Raldikuk posted:

No bank that claims to use 2FA actually has it properly implemented

I'll be run out of town for saying their name, but HSBC has a separate, PIN protected authentication device or their own mobile app.

As for CUs, I agree. Shop around and see what varies between them...

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

potatoducks posted:

I just signed up with radius bank. They pay 0.85% if your balance is over 2.5k and 1.19% if your balance is over 100k. Most important factors for me were high ATM withdrawal limits (for Vegas trips), refund of ATM fees since you won't have a branch nearby, and high mobile check deposit limits.

There's nothing magical about a credit union. If one offered better terms then I would have gone with them but I didn't find any.

I hope you are not doing this with any significant amount of money. Imagine someone gets hold of your checks or debit card and empties out your account. It could be 10 days before you get provisional credit of the funds back, pending investigation.

It is a lot better to link a line of credit for overdrafts, if that is the concern.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I’m not familiar with Radius’s rules but the federal limit applies only to deducting transactions, not all transactions. If you have the means for Vegas trips it should not be a big deal to back up your checking account with a savings account.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
I use a smaller local credit union for my checking account, that way if something ever goes wrong, I can walk into a branch and get things fixed quickly vs being on hold for hours.

Then I use the on-line only places for higher interest rate savings.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Bumping to add that federal credit unions in the US are insured and government-guaranteed through the NCUA, but state-chartered credit unions aren’t necessarily. Some of them have private deposit insurance under whatever terms the insurer determines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Gazpacho posted:

Bumping to add that federal credit unions in the US are insured and government-guaranteed through the NCUA, but state-chartered credit unions aren’t necessarily. Some of them have private deposit insurance under whatever terms the insurer determines.

To piggyback on that, just look for the NCUA logo because not all of them will say federal in the name.