Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Woo, ok. Yes, update time.

Higgy posted:

Holy poo poo shut the gently caress upppp about John Smith

OP, any updates on your situation? Did you get that Skype interview rescheduled?

Nope. The headhunter passed me the information to get in touch with him with his permission, I sent out a message, and he never accepted my request. I called the headhunter and left a message asking if she heard anything, haven't gotten a response from her. My gut tells me I've been ghosted, but I'm going to call again in the morning before I write them off.

Meanwhile, I'm skimming job post boards for work the meets the "entry level" and "quantitative" keywords. The big thing I'm going to have to come to terms with is expanding my geographic area. I'm a renter, so while costly, moving isn't as much of a hurdle as someone who owns a home.

CarForumPoster posted:

Find a biz analyist or similar position. Learn to code in python, write hilariously short python scripts that you most stole from googling "market basket analysis tutorials" and what not. Put them on a dashboard for the boss. Be the fast up and coming new guy.

Hm, I think I recently added a python dev toolkit to my computer for something or another I was working on. Couldn't hurt to add more coding/scripting to my skills. I can already read it pretty well. Writing it on the other hand is a whole nother ball game.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I would go with Meetup personally, but I haven’t actually tried myself. There’s a shitload of ones in my area, but I work in tech and I’m in a pretty huge tech hub so I’m not sure what it’s like elsewhere. I’m also not sure how to tell what ones are actually active still.

Grand Rapids, MI, from as much as I understand it, is a big hub if you do anything related to medicine, or feel like selling out to AmWay or Meijer. The former I'd rather see burned like an effigy while the plutocrats who run the show are hung in Rosa Parks Circle. The latter is the company I walked away from. Granted, it was at the store level, but it wouldn't take much digging to find my history. I still might sling some applications their way for persistence sake.

lampey posted:

Pre sales engineer for a tech co has a lot of overlap with what you are looking for and with your current experience. Also have you considered academia?

Most jobs are not filled by interviewing applicants wo filled out a form for a job. Ask everyone you know even if they are not in the same sector. They might know someone who is hiring. Consider working with a recruiter. It is a lot easier to move up when you have a little more experience

The person I'd been working with sounds like this type of person, but they found me. I'd like to figure out the business of finding them first, since it would certainly have a higher success rate than waiting for a random call after shotgunning my resume into the intertubes.

John Smith posted:

Yup, sure thing. Both she and I are willing to stop.

Hmm. So you are going to aim for analyst positions straightaway then? Thought that you might be more open to more basic white-collar positions while you work on your mental health?

Or did your therapist felt that you had progressed enough that you can easily handle the stress and pressure of being an analyst? Wouldn't it be too much too soon for a recovering alcoholic who is dealing with a lot right now? I mean if it turns out that you can handle it and you gave up without even trying, that would be such a waste. But on the other hand, if you crash and burn, that would suck too, right?

I'm sure I can handle that type of stress. I find analytic work to be enjoyable. My problems mentally are more exacerbated dealing with customer service type work. Even moving slightly out of the realm of customer contact, I am great with internal deliverables, and a small amount of "buck stops here" power helps give me a sense of control over my workflow. Spoon theory analogy: I have a lot of spoons for dealing with high pressure intellectual and problem solving work, but very few spoons for dealing with the type of social work that customer service required. Quality isn't lacking in either area, but the latter drains quickly, and tapping intelligence spoons for charisma spoons does not operate at a 1:1 ratio.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

John Smith is the ultimate anime. He's soooo tsundere.

Good luck OP. Don't be an anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Get your Indeed and Linkedin going, apply to jobs, use a form filler application like last pass or whatever else to make applying on job sites super quick, applly to a lot of jobs, use your network.

Resume/Interview
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582

LinkedIn thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531540

And I'm going to double-post because I forgot this and also want to palette cleanse from that last page: I'd all but forgotten about the LinkedIn megathread. Tomorrow morning I'm going to set to work on this. Do the rest of you share the sentiment that it is one of the best sources for job hunting?

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Warmachine posted:

I'm sure I can handle that type of stress. I find analytic work to be enjoyable. My problems mentally are more exacerbated dealing with customer service type work. Even moving slightly out of the realm of customer contact, I am great with internal deliverables, and a small amount of "buck stops here" power helps give me a sense of control over my workflow. Spoon theory analogy: I have a lot of spoons for dealing with high pressure intellectual and problem solving work, but very few spoons for dealing with the type of social work that customer service required. Quality isn't lacking in either area, but the latter drains quickly, and tapping intelligence spoons for charisma spoons does not operate at a 1:1 ratio.
Fair enough. By nature, I am very money-driven so I am generally for pushing to earn more. Since you feel comfortable, give it a go then.

Do stop drinking altogether though. If retail is no longer a stress factor, then there is no justification for drinking. And if analytics is a stress factor, then your assessment is wrong. Either way, you should stop drinking altogether. You didn't specifically reply to this aspect, so I am not sure if this is what you are already thinking or ...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

John Smith posted:

Fair enough. By nature, I am very money-driven so I am generally for pushing to earn more. Since you feel comfortable, give it a go then.

Do stop drinking altogether though. If retail is no longer a stress factor, then there is no justification for drinking. And if analytics is a stress factor, then your assessment is wrong. Either way, you should stop drinking altogether. You didn't specifically reply to this aspect, so I am not sure if this is what you are already thinking or ...

Without retail causing me undue stress, my smoking and drinking habits have fallen drastically. As for analytics being stressful, I'll flatly say no and explain with the rest of my post.

While I didn't get around to calling my recruiter, I have spent almost the entire day working on a project that I plan to use to teach myself Excel, SQL, probably Python, and any other unforeseen skills that I'll need to complete it. Shortly before I quit, I started playing World of Warcraft again, and began examining the auction house as a way to apply my schooling to make money in the game. When the new expansion launched, it gave me the idea to start investigating how prices and consumer behavior react to a near-zero supply environment.

So long story short, I'm using a data set from a website that has historical data on item prices in the game stretching back to 2014, and I'm going to try and use this to create a way to forecast behavior during these volatile post-expansion days. I have to import the data from the site, clean it, and generate reports to make sense of it before getting to the phase where I can start putting together some kind of model to generate the forecast I want. This gives me a unique opportunity to play with a large data set (the database I am querying from is over 24GB in size) and take advantage of Excel's analytics tools for the job.

In the spirit of the LinkedIn suggestion, I'm going to blog about it as I go, which is where I want to solicit help from goons: what are some good, definable learning objectives for this kind of project. What do you find yourselves doing day-to-day that education didn't directly teach you, and you think a fresh graduate would benefit from practicing. I plan to investigate the use of Python to help with the SQL queries and turning the database I am using into a human-readable source, but what else should be on my agenda? I'll be posting this on my LinkedIn as an article, and making posts as I progress through the work to synthesize what I learn.

So a day spent teaching myself how to use SQL to import data into Power Pivot has been fun and engaging. Does that answer the stress question?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Warmachine posted:

Without retail causing me undue stress, my smoking and drinking habits have fallen drastically. As for analytics being stressful, I'll flatly say no and explain with the rest of my post.

While I didn't get around to calling my recruiter, I have spent almost the entire day working on a project that I plan to use to teach myself Excel, SQL, probably Python, and any other unforeseen skills that I'll need to complete it. Shortly before I quit, I started playing World of Warcraft again, and began examining the auction house as a way to apply my schooling to make money in the game. When the new expansion launched, it gave me the idea to start investigating how prices and consumer behavior react to a near-zero supply environment.

So long story short, I'm using a data set from a website that has historical data on item prices in the game stretching back to 2014, and I'm going to try and use this to create a way to forecast behavior during these volatile post-expansion days. I have to import the data from the site, clean it, and generate reports to make sense of it before getting to the phase where I can start putting together some kind of model to generate the forecast I want. This gives me a unique opportunity to play with a large data set (the database I am querying from is over 24GB in size) and take advantage of Excel's analytics tools for the job.

In the spirit of the LinkedIn suggestion, I'm going to blog about it as I go, which is where I want to solicit help from goons: what are some good, definable learning objectives for this kind of project. What do you find yourselves doing day-to-day that education didn't directly teach you, and you think a fresh graduate would benefit from practicing. I plan to investigate the use of Python to help with the SQL queries and turning the database I am using into a human-readable source, but what else should be on my agenda? I'll be posting this on my LinkedIn as an article, and making posts as I progress through the work to synthesize what I learn.

So a day spent teaching myself how to use SQL to import data into Power Pivot has been fun and engaging. Does that answer the stress question?

Sign up for Lynda and do the courses titled AI Fundamentals. This is a straight up stereotype of a machine learning problem. Theres likely some tools in python that can make solving this very simple but what you'll learn is that you need to concisely describe what it is youre trying to accomplish with you model. For example "who is buying what"

Seriously though this sounds like a data science 101 problem. The tools you're talking about using to solve it are red flags that you don't know how. Lynda will show you how.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Sign up for Lynda and do the courses titled AI Fundamentals. This is a straight up stereotype of a machine learning problem. Theres likely some tools in python that can make solving this very simple but what you'll learn is that you need to concisely describe what it is youre trying to accomplish with you model. For example "who is buying what"

Seriously though this sounds like a data science 101 problem. The tools you're talking about using to solve it are red flags that you don't know how. Lynda will show you how.

I never took data science classes, so any skills I have with it are self-taught at this point. But this is exactly what I'm looking for as far as skill improvement. There are things I know I don't know, and things I don't know I don't know. This was one of the latter. It helps a lot.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Warmachine posted:

Well, it answers the drinking question. The answer I got was that you intend to keep drinking, despite being a self-confessed alcoholic.

What function / benefits does drinking serves you, when you already have a problem with alcohol? Why not simply stop drinking?

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah

Warmachine posted:

I never took data science classes, so any skills I have with it are self-taught at this point. But this is exactly what I'm looking for as far as skill improvement. There are things I know I don't know, and things I don't know I don't know. This was one of the latter. It helps a lot.

Look into free Power BI or something else as a visualization tool as well. A lot of work is not just cleansing the data and running models, but putting it together in a way that a non-analytical person can understand.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Manwich posted:

Look into free Power BI or something else as a visualization tool as well. A lot of work is not just cleansing the data and running models, but putting it together in a way that a non-analytical person can understand.

This this this! Turning the work from a data scientist/architect/engineer into things a business person understands is a full time job in most companies. If you can get to the point where you feel comfortable putting Power BI, R, and some buzzwords on your resume (retail operations, retail finance, whatever), you should be looking for junior BI Developer or BI Analyst positions.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

In my limited experience with it: ML/data science is so goddamn boring, just make sure you can stomach the tedium for a few weeks before you actually commit to a career in it.

It looks cool from the outside but you'll find you just spend four days a week fiddling with weights to get the magic result you want and the last day just trying to figure out why all the data is always wrong. I think IT help desk is more rewarding, at least you're solving real problems there sometimes.

Sorry for the non-constructive hot take I've just watched too many smart people give up on it very quickly.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 4, 2018

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Get your rear end into a quality lab at a big factory ASAP. You'll be doing repetitive measurement and inspection work as a bottom level tech but it'll pay twice as much as retail and you'll get face time with the kind of engineers and managers who understand the value of what you want to do and give you an opportunity to impress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

In my limited experience with it: ML/data science is so goddamn boring, just make sure you can stomach the tedium for a few weeks before you actually commit to a career in it.

It looks cool from the outside but you'll find you just spend four days a week fiddling with weights to get the magic result you want and the last day just trying to figure out why all the data is always wrong. I think IT help desk is more rewarding, at least you're solving real problems there sometimes.

Sorry for the non-constructive hot take I've just watched too many smart people give up on it very quickly.

Fair, though also I had a similar experience with my regressions during my undergrad thesis. :v:

The update I have to report is that I've interviewed for a position that isn't in my bucket of dream jobs, but sounds interesting and offers technical training to make up for the difference in what I studied vs. the expertise I need. I'm still searching for research assistant style positions to actually start a proper career climb, and I've started to overcome my fear of actually asking my former professors for recommendations. (This has awoken a new anxiety of how to write a CV when you have a rice grain worth of experience, but I'm working with other folks on that).

The time I've spent searching has taught me quite a bit, and I ended up speaking with an adviser at my local talent investment agency about formatting my resumes to get me past the robot screener. Once I get the next round of edits back from her, I'll probably drag it and my fledgling CV over to the Resume/Interviews thread for some analysis. Right now I'm going to be trolling MeetUp and Eventbrite and similar services looking for groups and organizations that might be a good fit for me, as well. Even if I get and accept the offer for this imperfect job, I still plan to continue working in parallel on my desired career path.

• Locked thread