Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Jamesman posted:

I actually watched someone playing Until Dawn last night on Twitch. They didn't bother to read poo poo, so when Ashley hears "Jessica" they earnestly followed the voice and opened the trapdoor to save her. So I guess Supermassive knew what they were doing.

I told you so :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I figure if you'd gotten someone else killed at this point, they'd be dangling there with Larry.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

I figure if you'd gotten someone else killed at this point, they'd be dangling there with Larry.

Can confirm that room is the "Here's all the people that died" room, which is why the characters react like they're seeing all of their friends hanging from hooks and not just "Crazy Flamethrower Man."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

And with that, this LP is finished. I apologize that it took as long as it did. I originally planned it to be a simple and straightforward blind playthrough, but then things changed as I started getting more and more into the game. It still shouldn't have taken this long, but you know how life goes.

Hopefully the next LP I do will end up being paced much better. So I'll see you then!

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Thanks for the LP, looking forward to the next one. :getin:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Hell yeah, looking forward to the next one.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
As we move forward, I would love to hear your thoughts on what you liked and didn't like. Constructive criticism is very helpful in figuring out how to move forward.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Actually I don't have any negative critique on this LP at all. The player commentary was good, you didn't yell over cutscenes, etc. and you have a good voice for doing voiced LP, it doesn't make me want to rip off my ears or anything.

You didn't talk much about the game mechanics but then again, there weren't really many, so I can't really see what you could have improved.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

You didn't talk much about the game mechanics but then again, there weren't really many, so I can't really see what you could have improved.

Yeah, all the mechanics are laid out pretty clearly at the start there, in the tutorial sidebars. It's very straightforward in what you need to do.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Are you planning on doing a final wrap-up video?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I am not, no. I feel like there's nothing really left to "wrap-up" at this point.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Congratulations on keeping everyone alive! :woop:

Are you going to show everyone getting brutally killed? :black101:

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I think for a game like this an LP should aim to show off the hidden gem and let the viewers see the brilliance and uniqueness. I admit I was skeptical about the game from the get go, a cheesy teen slasher game with quick time events and jump scares, but you did a great job with showing of the quirks and features.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Thanks for playing it, yeah, I was pretty happy with how good that game was when I first got it, always fun to see other peoples playthroughs

Any plans to play other interactive choice type games, like Detroit or such?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

1234567890num posted:

Are you going to show everyone getting brutally killed? :black101:

I'm not really planning on doing any more content for this game. I'm sure there's plenty of death reels on YouTube anyway, and at this point I don't feel like it would contribute anything to the playthrough to just get footage of that kinda thing.

kjetting posted:

I think for a game like this an LP should aim to show off the hidden gem and let the viewers see the brilliance and uniqueness. I admit I was skeptical about the game from the get go, a cheesy teen slasher game with quick time events and jump scares, but you did a great job with showing of the quirks and features.

I tend not to know much about a game when going into a blind playthrough, but I feel like I was especially in the dark with Until Dawn. It's a very story-driven game, but I didn't know anything about the story before starting it. I really only knew "Horror game you make decisions in" and tried to see how it would play out. So I was kinda skeptical too, and thought it would just be a nice short project to do for Halloween. Then I got completely sucked in and ended up way more invested than originally planned. I'm glad I could (hopefully) have that come across in the playthrough and the viewers could (hopefully) see what makes this game as fun as I found it to be.

FluffySquirrel posted:

Any plans to play other interactive choice type games, like Detroit or such?

It's entirely possible. I doubt I would do Heavy Rain, since I played that to death on my own already, but never say never. Since I know that game so well, if I were to do it, I would probably ask for more participation from the viewers to decide how it would play out. But I do have other narrative-heavy and choice-driven games in my collection, so we will see what the future holds.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Eh, fair enough. There's just a few notable neat details from the game that you didn't show off:
  • If Matt hit the deer, he'll get thrown off the cliff. However, Mat actually hangs on can climb back up with Emily's help. I think the QTE for that is the one with the strictest timing in the whole game. Don't quote me on that, though.
  • If Matt tries to help Emily after the tower falls, he'll eventually fail and get thrown off. However, there's a Wendigo there that will kill Matt if he doesn't have/already used/failed the QTE to use the flame gun. This is the number 1 cause of death for Matt and actually is kinda bullshit.
  • If Chris isn't with the group, he'll hear Jessica's voice too. You then get the same choice as Ashley previously. If you do open the trap door as Ashley before, though, Chris is hosed no matter what.
  • Mike can't die in the sanatorium. If he got caught by the Wendigo without Wolfie to help him, the screen will just fade to black. All this affects is where Sam will find Mike.
  • Emily's corpse in the bodies room will be normal if she got caught by the Wendigo, it will miss the lower half if she fell into the grinder, or absent entirely if she got shot by Mike.
  • If Matt died and Jessica survived, her final Wendigo sequence will go as normal except the choices are "Hide" or "Try to Run". Needless to say, trying to run is not a good idea. She can still break through the outer wall just fine though :black101:
  • If Emily has the flame gun (and I think if she didn't almost fall to the grinder), she can prevent the Wendigo bite. This skips Mike's :airquote:dilemma:airquote:. In the final lodge sequence, Ashley will exit before Emily since Emily didn't push Ashley aside in the basement.
  • If Sam dies in the lodge, Mike will immediately light it up, obviously killing anyone else inside. He's a dick :argh:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 5, 2019

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Matt dying for saving Emily is part of the reason why I vehemently hate her so much

He dies if you a) Listen to her ideas (which results in him firing off the flare), then b) Try and rescue her

Oh, and then, in the finale sequence, she blamed him for abandoning her and generally slated him and said she hoped he was dead .. like, wow, he died trying to save you, go gently caress yourself Emily

Interesting though, I had no idea Emily could avoid the wendigo bite, never seen that happen in any of the runs I've watched

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I watched, and have been watching, some other folks play through the game, and I was surprised to see how lucky I managed to get with some of these spots. The parts with Matt and Emily were definitely ripe for death opportunities, and I came pretty drat close to loving up.

Wanting to save everyone, you feel encouraged/pressured to make certain choices, that can absolutely gently caress you over. Wanting Matt and Emily on the same page and working together seemed like the best thing to do (lest one of them snap and abandon the other to death), and the only thing that ultimately saved me there was feeling like Matt AND Emily would die if I kept trying to rescue her, so I jumped off instead.

So yeah, I really like how this game had fun with playing with expectations and made you think hard about the choices you made.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

FluffySquirrel posted:

Matt dying for saving Emily is part of the reason why I vehemently hate her so much

He dies if you a) Listen to her ideas (which results in him firing off the flare), then b) Try and rescue her

Oh, and then, in the finale sequence, she blamed him for abandoning her and generally slated him and said she hoped he was dead .. like, wow, he died trying to save you, go gently caress yourself Emily

Interesting though, I had no idea Emily could avoid the wendigo bite, never seen that happen in any of the runs I've watched

Emily will only blame Matt if their relationship points isn't high enough. Otherwise, she will be worried about him (like in Jamesman's playthrough). This and Jessica's state of undress are the only effects of the relationship points in the whole game :eng101:

Jamesman posted:

I watched, and have been watching, some other folks play through the game, and I was surprised to see how lucky I managed to get with some of these spots. The parts with Matt and Emily were definitely ripe for death opportunities, and I came pretty drat close to loving up.

Wanting to save everyone, you feel encouraged/pressured to make certain choices, that can absolutely gently caress you over. Wanting Matt and Emily on the same page and working together seemed like the best thing to do (lest one of them snap and abandon the other to death), and the only thing that ultimately saved me there was feeling like Matt AND Emily would die if I kept trying to rescue her, so I jumped off instead.

So yeah, I really like how this game had fun with playing with expectations and made you think hard about the choices you made.

I think that's what the developer's are thunking when they made that scenario. Having Matt fire off the flame gun immediately is still a dick move, though.

I imagine that the final "Don't Move!" sequences are extremely hard (if you don't cheat and just put it on the table with vibration off), so great job with that.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm glad to see this LP go the way it did - I think we got to see a good story play out, along with some hints at the alternative routes that could have been taken.

The only thing that bothered me is that My Bloody Valentine didn't get in as an episode title (the game's plot is basically riffing on the movie, though more in a good homage way than in a derivative way).

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
You got me with the post-post-credits-stinger-stinger, what a cliffhanger! I'll be on the edge of my seat.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kangra posted:

The only thing that bothered me is that My Bloody Valentine didn't get in as an episode title (the game's plot is basically riffing on the movie, though more in a good homage way than in a derivative way).

I thought about it for sure, but my plan wasn't necessarily for the movie plots to be similar to the game, but rather for the titles to be someone relevant to what was happening in the videos.

MBV is a great dumb 80's slasher movie though. Never saw the remake.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Jamesman posted:

MBV is a great dumb 80's slasher movie though. Never saw the remake.

The remake is dumber.

I don’t remember much about it, other than I didn’t think the ending was as satisfying as the original, and it had really gimmicky 3D cinematography where just about every other scene had something moving straight toward the camera. The DVD I bought came with classic cardboard red/green glasses. Otherwise OK slasher with some neat kills.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

1234567890num posted:

Emily will only blame Matt if their relationship points isn't high enough. Otherwise, she will be worried about him (like in Jamesman's playthrough). This and Jessica's state of undress are the only effects of the relationship points in the whole game :eng101:
Ya. And since Jamesman was wondering, the boost in Sam's opinion of Mike was solely because he didn't shoot Emily, which... should not have been up for discussion in the first place :v:

Overall I really liked this game. Some thoughts and unseen content in no particular order:
- I always compared Until Dawn against Heavy Rain, as both promised any character could live or die and I part of why I spoiled myself was to see if Until Dawn learned from the previous cinematic game's comically false early-game stakes (Madison's misogynistic nightmares, Norman's sleuthing looking much more like AFHV than CSI, etc.) I'd say Until Dawn did a way better job pacing the danger and always making the stakes real, although some characters have it criminally worse than others (Emily and Matt lead the game in chances to die, but where Em has stuff like 3 strikes to escape the ore grinder, one mistake in any of Matt's sequences is instant death). No idea if Detroit: Become Human improved on this.
- I love the finale (seriously, how good is it that Hannah's final act is saving Sam?) but I think Heavy Rain's finale was mechanically a little better as it can go several ways depending on which characters make it: in Until Dawn, it's always Sam and Mike on the switch and they have plot armor until that moment. I wonder how hard it would have been for, say, a plot branch where one or both didn't make it and the competent-ish Chris or Em filled in.
- We only heard about 1/3 of the possible interview lines, but only one character will ever mention the mines and it's chosen in order: Sam's warning is the highest priority, if she's dead it'll be Mike; then Jessica, then Matt, then Emily, then Ashley, and then if everyone else is dead, Chris. (He also can't die in Chapter 10, maybe so a player that totally screws up isn't left with nothing).
- One of the survivors in The Inpatient is the actual Victor Milgram, from whom the Psycho almost certainly got his name for the fake stalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Thanks for the LP Jamesman. I really enjoyed it.