Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prav
Oct 29, 2011

babypolis posted:

im starting to wonder if any money in america actually goes to something productive or if the entire country is now a scam

america has always been a parasite state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

babypolis posted:

the entire country is now a scam

:hmmyes:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

why invest money in productive endeavors when investing it in racketeering is much more easy, profitable, and also if it goes bad the government bails you out entirely

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A similar thing happening here:

https://twitter.com/bedwardstiek/status/1058794164828028928

quote:

The toplines: The total amount of $ in this race so far (candidate fundraising through 10/20/2018 plus, independent expenditures through the present) is:
$3.34 MILLION American dollars
For a district with fewer than 300,000 registered voters.
That's more than $11 per voter. 2/

Context: the only other assembly races drawing *close* to this spending are races where a Democrat and a Republican are in a close fight that could determine whether Dems have a super majority next year. This is a Dem-on-Dem race in a district with 6% registered Republicans.3/

At $2.5 million, the pro-Wicks/anti-Beckles money is more than 3x the money on the other side. 4/

Also notable: IE attacks appear to be almost exclusively targeting @JovankaBeckles. There's $307k in reported spending on attacks against Beckles. $7k in reported spending on attacks against Wicks. 5/

All the reported attack spending is coming from a PAC getting its major support from the pro-charter EdVoice, the California Medical Association, and the California Dental Association. (Beckles is a critic of charter schools and a supporter of single-payer healthcare) 6/

The attack mailers, of course, have nothing to do with healthcare policy, nor with charter school policy. 7/

Instead, they are almost exclusively character attacks tone-policing Beckles over the proceedings of Richmond City Council meetings. 8/

The sole policy issue I've gotten an anti-Beckles mailer on centers a quote so selective as to nearly invert its meaning. Time and again, in debates, including on my show, Beckles has said "California doesn't have a housing crisis--it has an affordable housing crisis."

[Per the state's figures, this is true. We have a suplus of housing affordable to high-income people, but massive shortages of housing for everyone else. (The market only tends to build for the top.)] 10/

The attack mailer (I'd post a pic, but it already went out in the recycling) lopped off the second half of Beckles' quote, and accused her of saying "We don't suffer from a housing shortage crisis." 11/

(Wicks hasn't done much to distance herself from those attacks. She explains why in this profile by @Frannydink for @berkeleyside ) 12/

When I asked Wicks about her campaign money -- the vast majority of which is from out-of-district donors--she said it was from the "Obama alumni network" (She worked on Obama's campaigns, and in his administration). This is narrowly true. 13/

But it does nothing to explain why pro-charter and medical-industry PACs are pouring even more independent money into helping her than she's raised herself. 14/

Truth is: Republicans have become such a minor consideration in California politics, that state policy gets determined by the political differences between Democrats. 15/

Who's in a single, safely-Democratic Assembly seat could determine:
*whether California passes a bill that commits the state to creating a single payer healthcare system
*whether the legislature lifts state-level restrictions on local rent control
... 16/

*whether the legislature imposes new restrictions, or accountability measures, on the charter schools that compete with public schools for students and funding
17/17

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
alameda county: its real bad folks

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

alamerica country should be president of the united states

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

gently caress the other races, this is the main event.

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK
No effing way. Phong La is winning.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I weep for 'murica today, a hero has fallen.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

No effing way. Phong La is winning.

well, he did spend the most money

it seems ultimately nobody picked up on this story, at least from my end
I'm not really surprised; I wasn't joking when I said nobody cares about this

some digging reveals a local progressive activist scouted out the same waters and came to similar suspicions on her blog but she doesn't seem to have made much more of an impact than this thread did

oh well? :/

the 41 thing is going to nag at me though
it keeps seeming like it's so close to making sense

tangentially related, check out the race for ward 4 transit director:

it might not be obvious why this is funny
until you find out Nicholas Harvey is also making a fair showing in four other simultaneous races– for EBMUD board, Hayward School Board, Eden Health District Board and Fairview Fire Protection District– every position he was allowed to run for with no qualifications :toot:

why would thousands of people vote for an obvious joke candidate who didn't even bother to file a candidate statement?
:shrug: democracy in action, yo.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cubone posted:

a local progressive activist scouted out the same waters and came to similar suspicions on her blog but she doesn't seem to have made much more of an impact than this thread did

ahahaha I googled her name and

girl, same.

Margarita Lacabe, darling, where have you been all my life?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

All hail Phong La, eternal emperor assessor of the California Republic

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK
LA County failed to pass rent control thanks to the same people who likely spent money on Phong La's run. California's housing is hosed, especially in LA and the Bay. Hoooooraaayyyy.....

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

LA County failed to pass rent control thanks to the same people who likely spent money on Phong La's run. California's housing is hosed, especially in LA and the Bay. Hoooooraaayyyy.....

Wasn’t it prior?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Burt Sexual posted:

Wasn’t it prior?

Rent control would increase the supply of housing. Oh wait no it would just reward those willing to never move again.

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

Elephanthead posted:

Rent control would increase the supply of housing. Oh wait no it would just reward those willing to never move again.

So, there’s already rent control for buildings made before 1995 and that’s why people don’t move. Because everything made after that raises their prices on average 8% a year. The rent control measure would’ve made that 3% at most. It would’ve made all properties not houses or condos rent controlled. So, please explain how 75% of properties under rent control, and the new place you plan on moving to having rent control, makes it so you won’t move?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Legit interesting. Ace job Cubone. I will weep at your impending mysterious disappearance. :911:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZNnDiDSUiI&t=227s

you’re robert redford in this scene OP, good luck

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Man this is like the ending of Z all over again :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Cubone posted:

ahahaha I googled her name and

girl, same.

Margarita Lacabe, darling, where have you been all my life?

Buy her an account + a King Killer's Association tag imo.

• Locked thread