Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
It's a new year, it is always nice to take the time to reflect on your past years work. Here are a few favourites of mine from 2018, I would encourage others to post but try to limit things to 5-10 images to keep things manageable, happy new year!

Last years thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845305

In no particular order:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Chloe High-Key019-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Arax023.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_0118.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

000014.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9159.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_8654-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_8548.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

000004.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_8087.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

IMG_5045 by charliebravo77, on Flickr
Minnesota Zoo by charliebravo77, on Flickr
Mostly zoopics but :shrug:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Arches National Park by Connor West, on Flickr
Heart of Texas Airshow by Connor West, on FlickrMarch For Our Lives by Connor West, on FlickrEnglish Harbor by Connor West, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
My biggest accomplishment was finally putting myself out there and starting to sell stuff. I still have a lot of goals for 2019 for establishing myself as a local nature photographer, but I'm really happy with how the year went. Hard to pic favorite photos but here are a few.

It Fits- Tulsa Street-6174 on Flickr

In the middle of a yellow world-2-6482 on Flickr

On the hunt on Flickr

Sunset View Turkey Hen with stalker-0591 on Flickr

South Tufas Dawn-5477 on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gamla Stan over Saltsjön by xzzy77, on Flickr

Västra skogen by xzzy77, on Flickr

Landmannalaugar by xzzy77, on Flickr

Kvernufoss by xzzy77, on Flickr

Blackhawks Farms Vintage Racing by xzzy77, on Flickr

For 2019 the goal is to shoot around home a lot more. It's too easy to ignore it and "catch it next time."

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I shot some stuff I'm happy with, but I think this was an off year for me. here's to next year being more productive

35mm

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
2018 was my first full year as a hobbyist photographer. I feel like I've learned a lot over the past 12 months, and have improved in some ways, yet I'm still new to the pastime and have yet to really find my feet. This year I hope to continue working towards being able to consistently produce technically solid images, while also learning to recognize, appreciate, and implement some of the finer elements of composition that go into making a Good Photograph.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 8, 2019

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

That's such a nice photo.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Took up film photography in the last few months:

Also some digital photography:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

2018 - The Year of the Bear

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Those are crazy photogenic bears.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
If people don't mind some nerd poo poo..

DSCF1723 v2-1 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF3189 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF4629 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF3459 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF9437 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF5319 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF5676 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF6185 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF5707 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

President Beep posted:

2018 was my first full year as a hobbyist photographer. I feel like I've learned a lot over the past 12 months, and have improved in some ways, yet I'm still new to the pastime and have yet to really find my feet. This year I hope to continue working towards being able to consistently produce technically solid images, while also learning to recognize, appreciate, and implement some of the finer elements of composition that go into making a Good Photograph.

Same on all counts.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

All of you are way too fuckin' good

BRW40744 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000021 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

also man I am going to devote so much more time to my half-frame this year. I love this little thing.

00000015 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW30084 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW64429 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW30303 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Haven't finished processing most of my work from 2018 but here it goes anyways

KilroyWasHere
Oct 22, 2005
Most of the pictures I've been happiest with have been black and white. I'm in the same place as y'all, a hobbyist around a year in. I feel like I'm still too quick on the shutter, not enough time spent on composition. I don't know, I'm having fun. Not sure if I'm getting better.

Color is more of a challenge. More stuff to control, more options in processing.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cool, lots of other up and coming photographers in the dorkroom. You hear that, old timers? Better watch out!

*blinds self with flash*

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I’ve been pretty happy with my progress this year. Just spent a lot more time wandering around the city alone with my camera. I’ve pretty recently started feeling like I’m taking decent pictures on purpose rather than just stumbling into something that works by happenstance.

I think I’m going to call this my five favorite, in chronological order:

Bonus favorite cat pic:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
In reverse chronological order, though the Short Eared Owl is my fav pic of last year

Short Eared Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Grizzly Bear #142 by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Upper Kananaskis Lake by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Mt Kidd from Evan Thomas Creek by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Great Grey Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Bald Eagle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
did this recently become the wildlife photography enthusiast forum and i missed the memo?

I don't have any favorites i'm just here to chat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Animals are real cool and serve as justification to buy that 600mm prime you've been telling your partner you need.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Animals are real cool and serve as justification to buy that 600mm prime you've been telling your partner you need.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I definitely hit the perfect equilibrium between Going Cool Places and Shooting Really Bad Photos. My goal next year is to shift that ratio more towards the left while still taking the same volume of photos. The biggest progress I made was learning to clean my sensor. The next step I need to take is doing post-processing.