Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/GayAnimeDad/status/1109844299942752257

I've been reading Tom Hanks movie scripts during my breaks at work so I can make sure my plot captures the characters of each film perfectly. When the company boss from BIG loses his heart to the darkness it will feel authentic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Giggs posted:

The transition is just a sprite, each frame being a progressively lighter/darker dither pattern.

The lightning is based on a script I found here which just draws lines with random sublines between two points that I edited pretty heavily.
I also found another script someone wrote which draws "pixellated" lines rather than the interpolated ones GM:S is able to do. Because the game is scaled up to 1280x720 from 320x180 when GM:S draws lines they don't fit the pixel size nor colour palette, so I needed a way to ensure it's "true" to the scale or whatever.

Turns out I'm not going to use the lightning unless I have some inspiration for some new purpose.

Thanks for the info. I think it's cool you tried to keep the aesthetic correct by pixelating your thunder.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wish you guys had enough time to make a game similar to that Jackie Chan fighting game where you can play as various characters Chan's played, except substitute Hanks

Forrest Gump vs Jimmy Dugan

Round 1, Fight!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Still haven't heard back from my artist... This is gonna look like poo poo if I have to draw Sorrest's sprite myself. (The current sprite is a placeholder stolen from the GBA game)

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm calling this one done for now. Try it out: https://atomr.itch.io/theres-a-snake-in-my-bot

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Looks like my artist's not gonna be able to work on much art this time around so poorly photoshopped cutscene portraits it is!

The mysterious cloaked figure, Babbux... Just who is he?!

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 29, 2019

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Lieutenant Dan, you ain't got no heart!

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

The bad news: I'm just now starting to have fun with the level designs and a lot of ideas will be left out. There are a lot of rough edges that I won't have time to address.
The good news: I should be able to finish this thing and I've just reinstalled Fallout New Vegas. :getin:

Myron fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 30, 2019

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Dieting Hippo posted:

Lieutenant Dan, you ain't got no heart!

Please

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Well, I am crunching the story scenes today and I do really like that line... I’ll see what I can do

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Myron posted:

The bad news: I'm just now starting to have fun with the level designs and a lot of ideas will be left out. There are a lot of rough edges that I won't have time to address.
The good news: I should be able to finish this thing and I've just reinstalled Fallout New Vegas. :getin:

I am in the same boat... although I"m not sure if I will have enough time tomorrow to even get a half polished turd out.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

That's where I'm at right now. This hasn't been a very good two week period. It doesn't help that I haven't used Unity in like seven years and can't remember what I'm doing though, and our sound guy now has no time. Ahhh! At least I'll have some games to look forward to. I'm going to see how much I can salvage it today.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I've submitted my dumb game: https://myronsa.itch.io/run-forrest-run

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I've also submitted my game.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well, I did it. I submitted my game!

Run Tom Hanks Run! A 2D platformer with 9 levels!

https://itch.io/jam/hanks-jam/rate/399111

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Every time I see this I laugh.

Fart Blanche
May 11, 2005
Coming out of the woodwork to give a shout out to JonTerp and anyone else involved in hosting.

The Awful Jam themes are always awesome and have tempted me for so long, and it is really nice being able to have more than one week to complete a jam. It allowed me to participate in my first game jam, and for that, I am forever in debt to you. Real life gets in the way of all these 3-7 day jams, and sometimes you need at least a week to decide on a solid idea.

All of the submissions look great. I wish everyone the best of luck !

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Play Game.

https://itch.io/jam/hanks-jam/entries

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Don't forget!
https://twitter.com/awfuljams/status/1112821644052058112

I've been totally preoccupied this time, but I'm hoping to get to the games soon!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

All right, I carved out just enough time to try out all the formally submitted ones here in the thread! Whew! There were a couple from the thread I probably should've included but I only like to include the most "Hey, try this game out!" posts to start with just in case somebody posted but ended up embarrassed with their final product (not that they should be). Anyway, here's the first batch!

It's the future: Tom Hanks or mech tanks (why not both)? Another wacky-controlling game by TomR! Was excited when I heard that music track and it delivers in-game. Neat to try to finagle around and it's certainly a weird idea. I will say that I think the mech movement and especially the controls need more feedback (I think it might benefit if the gearshifts felt clicky or had resistance or something instead of being so floaty) and the gameplay loop is kind of a nightmare if you're like me and have no idea about Tom Hanks lines. I want to go back to this one later!

ConGumption Maker (or is it Lieutenant Dan's Incredible Machines?). Nice puzzle game, a lot of content here! Has a fair bit of control issues (misclicks, no way to speed up or fail and keep solution, banana is hard to see on white) but its strengths outshine that all. There's a couple of nice touches and beats that hit well with me without overshadowing the rest of the game (ie, it's just goony enough). Good fun!

A tile-based logic puzzle game of a type I swear I've played before (it's like a circuit or path-based electrical type game). Neat puzzles that never got out of hand, I think its particular strength is the overall aesthetic. Outside a couple things it just feels like a cohesive front. Like Run Forrest Run I do wish it was a little nicer on redoing puzzles and saving solutions which would've been nice. But all in all I think this is a strong entry!

Just following the readme.txt for LOVERS OF KNOWLEDGE:

I'll be honest, this is a rough one, but I'm so happy that somebody put themselves out there that I can't be very negative :3: I think I got to level 3 and probably would've kept trying but somehow I kept dying out of nowhere (at first I thought it was something to do with the sky but another time it just seemed to happen randomly?). I think the Wilson powerup is pretty hilarious and having a physical, retrievable object is pretty neat. The greatest area I'd say to put effort into (if say you had to start from square one or continued development) is the camera as a lot of jumps and things seemed blind which probably made the difficulty higher than it should've been. I'd love to see where it goes so let me know if you release a version with infinite lives!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Doom Goon posted:

I'll be honest, this is a rough one, but I'm so happy that somebody put themselves out there that I can't be very negative :3: I think I got to level 3 and probably would've kept trying but somehow I kept dying out of nowhere (at first I thought it was something to do with the sky but another time it just seemed to happen randomly?). I think the Wilson powerup is pretty hilarious and having a physical, retrievable object is pretty neat. The greatest area I'd say to put effort into (if say you had to start from square one or continued development) is the camera as a lot of jumps and things seemed blind which probably made the difficulty higher than it should've been. I'd love to see where it goes so let me know if you release a version with infinite lives!

This is fair feedback. I was going to just let this one go and start working on a platformer not at all related to Tom Hanks... but these were pretty easy to solve.

I did find a set of spikes in the 3 level that was still not being ordered properly, so I think that should be fixed. I moved the camera out and added an easy mode with 1,000 lives. Also if you downloaded the game like a week ago, there were a lot more invisible spikes in the level :(

There is still some occasional glitch between the enemies hitting the player before the graphics seem too... but that's more work than I want to do on this one.

Thanks for the feedback though :).

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 7, 2019

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Doom Goon posted:

ConGumption Maker (or is it Lieutenant Dan's Incredible Machines?). Nice puzzle game, a lot of content here! Has a fair bit of control issues (misclicks, no way to speed up or fail and keep solution, banana is hard to see on white) but its strengths outshine that all. There's a couple of nice touches and beats that hit well with me without overshadowing the rest of the game (ie, it's just goony enough). Good fun!

Thanks for playing. And yeah, I'm fully aware of all the rough edges. I spent a lot less time on this one than the last jams and I knew it would end up functional, but not very player friendly. One thing I really should have realized immediately though was that the default view is too close to be useful. Btw did you fall into the water at all? It's the only special death animation I finished (I wanted to do a number of needlessly gory ones).

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Doom Goon posted:

A tile-based logic puzzle game of a type I swear I've played before (it's like a circuit or path-based electrical type game). Neat puzzles that never got out of hand, I think its particular strength is the overall aesthetic. Outside a couple things it just feels like a cohesive front. Like Run Forrest Run I do wish it was a little nicer on redoing puzzles and saving solutions which would've been nice. But all in all I think this is a strong entry!

I was envisioning a Zachtronics style leaderboard for each level, with bars showing everybody's times, cost, or whatever a la:

but after a cursory glance at implementing something akin to that I just sorta forgot about it. I also had the idea of user-generation and sharing of puzzles, as well as potentially automatic screenshots of the player's solution to each puzzle, but again, I just managed to forget those things.

So basically I entirely agree with what you said.

Thanks Doom Goon!

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Really enjoyed watching Tom Hankses on stream, good job maker(s) of Tom Hankses!!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Awesome, redownloading in a bit!

Myron posted:

Btw did you fall into the water at all?
:yeshaha:

Ooh, histograms. That would've boosted your score by at least 3! I mean, it'd be in a non-linear scale where points don't exist or matter but still, 3!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Whoops, I completely forgot to post my game here! Play it and tell your friends and family to play it and tell them to tell their friends and family to play it too!

KINGDOM HANKS 420/3.14 ECHOES: REBIRTH BY DREAMS
Download it here! DO IT!

This year was really solid. I don’t think there was a single game I didn’t like!
I’m disappointed that you skipped through the dialogue on the Gong Show stream since that’s the best part. I wish the sound was on for the beginning of the Nightmare Simulator too so you could hear the distorted Hanks screams and ASMR. It also starts out randomly too so if you tried it again it would be a different scene.

Just some points to clarify about some stuff you guys mentioned:

The whole sticking to objects thing is unfortunately part of the built in movement that I used in Clickteam Fusion 2.5. I think most people code their own movement from scratch for Zelda-style games but I’m inept. The hitboxes are also a result of Fusion, since I was using the sprites themselves instead of creating separate objects as hitboxes which would have been better.

The graphics were indeed almost all placeholder art but just to be fair to her I should clarify that my artist ended up busier than she thought she would be and ultimately was able to contribute in the last two hours, even if it ended up being her tracing the Sora sprites I gave her as an example. So she didn’t exactly technically flake.

I don’t know if I actually spent more time on the Nightmare Simulator, but I did spend the first week and a half on it. It was based on a separate game idea I had that I didn’t want to completely let go of.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 8, 2019

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh, before I forget, a couple things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c4AVOovG2I
https://twitter.com/awfuljams/status/1117906085380333571
Voting also ends in a just over a day so if you procrastinated on rating some of these now's the time to jump to it!

Been a weird month but I'm back in the saddle (as our friend Woody would say)!

Definitely digging those improvements. I noticed this time how a lot of the blind jumps had good enemy placement at the end which helped in a Super Mario Bros. "hold B+forward and occasionally jump" kind of vibe. I think some better camera and some work on enemy pop-in to make it more consistent would go a long way!

VN/action game crossover with a weird Nightmare Simulator. I think you pretty much covered everything, the collision was an unfortunate problem and the graphics didn't really mesh. But I think just the weirdness of Sank (Hora?) helped pull it through. Story-wise I liked the little references (Sully) but I did feel the ending kind of petered out unfortunately (I feel like it's rarely satisfying to leave on a "To Be Continued" screen especially without a real big gameplay topper). All that said, I'd give this a definite recommendation just for the Nightmare Simulation alone! I left it on quite a bit just to experience all the weird out of context clips and glitched sound. It's a little hard to be objective about what worked there but somehow I think it did! Tom Hanks

All right, on to the non-threads ones picked randomly!
Wilson: In Search of Tom by KuraiSensei
Kind of a (mostly) Marble Blast game with a couple rule-changing levels in the middle. I'll be honest, this one is pretty rough, but I hope it was a good learning experiment. I feel like it needed work in feeling more crunchy and the movement/camera system (or lack of one) hampered a smooth playthrough. It might've actually been a case of too wide of a focus and in that case I recommend you focus on what you're strong at instead. Keep it going!

Cloud Atlas: Shift by Some Brothers Studio

A fun little cardinal direction-only twin-stick shooter-esque game! This one has a lot of nice touches to it like a color-phasing damage mechanic and weapon system, and a little bit of juice when you slice enemies. There's some movement problems but I'd say this might be my favorite Some Brothers jam game. They've come a long way!

Hanks League by L. Spikes
Triple Triad in RPG Maker. I didn't spend too much on this one (or, actually I did and didn't make much progress) as I wasn't sure how much of it was originally coded or anything and it seemed like a lot of work just to see how the narrative was going. I think it needed more carrot and a better way to tie into the theme (along with a faster way to progress). Seemed to be fine if you want to play a bit of Triple Triad through RPG Maker though!

Tom Hanks is in: Jeopardy! by jfaw_love
Jeopardy with Tom Hanks questions. This game has some impressive sound work going for it at the beginning and end. The gameplay was fairly functional. There's no AI or accurate rules or anything so it's pretty much straight trivia. I had some weird question pop-in with the graphics. But as it's fairly quick it's likely worth playing. A lot of the trivia is pretty bizarre, too. Strong start! Oh, I also wish the losing ending had more work put into it as it takes a long time to get.

Greenbow by Booper
A simple running simulator. I didn't quite get a meditative feel out of this one, but I was impressed with the sound usage and filters. Has a good vaporwave feel to it and a nifty little song. It would've been great if the zones had some sort of visual effect or something though to break up the monotony a bit. There's some navigation issues because of the lack of compass and because of how to change direction (it might've added difficulty but not in a fulfilling way). Oh, I also misread the instructions and thought soda was "good" (I mean, it made me faster overall) so some in-game feedback would've been great.

Super Hanks RPG by LFOB

A pretty charming JRPG w/ UnderTale-influenced aesthetic and narrative! I enjoyed this one a fair bit and was always interested in where it was going. It also had a fairly good challenge and length to it. It could've used some UI work (hits and turns were hard to see, some battle backgrounds would've been nice even with the UnderTale influence, selecting stuff was somewhat cumbersome) and I thought the last part was a bit weak both story- and gameplay-wise but not enough where I'd change my mind on giving it a recommendation.

What's in Tom Hanks Boot? by Buttzilla
Snake, with danger zones. Short but worth a chuckle. There's some boundary vagueness and I can't imagine getting much past 1:10 even with memorizing zones. Also, not super apparent that it's not just cardinal directions. But until then it's pleasant and most of the clips were well-picked.

Tom Hankses by Harold Krell

A fun exploratory puzzle-platformer! drat, another must-play Krell game! A lot of aesthetical charm here from the simple but appealing spritework, to the funky music, to the bitcrushed vocoder-alike, and on and on. Lots of nice touches such as the animated dance, or the title screen, or the narration. The puzzles are fairly good for the time frame as well although some abilities feel too much like one-hit wonders. Give it a go!

TomHanksFrThMmrs by curttremblay
A somewhat barebones point-and-click adventure game. Seems to work well, just needs more content. Nice touch to include an in-game option to toggle music, although I liked the song choice. Loved the wacky running animation.

HankBound by SystemLogoff

Try to appease an AI with procedurally generated Tom Hanks movies. This was cute! I think it worked better than some of the other ones I've played like this before and the shop added some nice incentive and atmosphere. The Peek tool is especially neat because so often in these types of games you're not exactly sure what went wrong. Pretty comfy and worth a look.

Castaway Coconuts by sedgr
A Castaway sneaking game. I see what you were going for, but mechanically there's a lot of problems. I had trouble picking up items that were next to me (I almost quit until I figured out it needed to be a distance away), the invisible walls and some of the forest felt pretty bad, and the actual stealth part needs work (in most stealth games, for instance, enemies tend to have an exaggerated turning mechanic partly to help mitigate parts where they path backwards instantly and spot you. Wilson in particular seemed to cause them to jerk around which made it a poor distraction item). But I do have to give props for attempting a stealth game as they're so tricky! And I know firsthand that it's beatable, so good job on that too. I definitely feel like you're getting better through these jams (especially considering this is a quicker one).

Ah, that's all of them! Thanks once again, once again, for a great jam!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Just a heads up that user-voted awards are now up! Not sure what's going on with Game of Jam though, maybe because (although I'm thankful for it this time) user voting was so long?

Oh, don't know if this is uncouth or not (I believe they're ex-AwfulJams but on good terms or else I wouldn't even bring it up) but I thought I'd mention I'll probably be playing entries in Team Dogpit's Input Optional Jam that runs from May 17th to June 3rd. Sounds like a cool jam to make and showcase neat little computing toys and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

And now apparently the Game of Jam is up! Didn't see any judging stream but oh well. Congrats to all the participants!