Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i think wrestling is stupid. if you like it, you're a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This namesteal feels extra distasteful to me cause it feels like they're trying to make him more palatable for white audiences by taking away an ethnic name and leaving him with one that could easily be taken to be a white-culture name.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Power Windows posted:

I will never, in the depths of my consciousness, understand what this company sees in Baron Corbin.

hes a great heel and hes tall. i am more happy to see him on my tv than Drew aka Scottish 2006 Triple H

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Kurt Angle's Goodbye Tour: TNA Week

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Rarity posted:

This namesteal feels extra distasteful to me cause it feels like they're trying to make him more palatable for white audiences by taking away an ethnic name and leaving him with one that could easily be taken to be a white-culture name.

And he's said himself that he wanted people to hear that name and not automatically assume he's gonna be some bad guy, so naturally an old white dude took the name away :v:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That DICK! posted:

i think wrestling is stupid. if you like it, you're a baby.

BASTA

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

rovert posted:

Vince McMahon is a massive Becky Lynch fan.

WWE tries to clamp down on the indies every year at Wrestlemania. WWE has a bit more clout in Florida than other places.

Ali is at least easy to chant and shortens his name takes the ambiguity out of that.

WWE: The fans are too stupid to know how to chant your name, you got to turn it into one syllable.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Rarity posted:

Ali is a white-culture name?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Your Parents posted:

hes a great heel and hes tall. i am more happy to see him on my tv than Drew aka Scottish 2006 Triple H

mods???

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Prince Ali, fabulous he, Ali Arbuckle.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

WWE: The fans are too stupid to know how to chant your name, you got to turn it into one syllable.

At least they'll never get rid of Becky's first name

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Grendels Dad posted:

Ali is a white-culture name?

Ally is a common shortening for Alistair

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

At least they'll never get rid of Becky's first name

I'm just excited for "Finn"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Rarity posted:

Ally is a common shortening for Alistair

That's not at all pronounced like "Ali" though, is it?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

uncurable mlady posted:

wwe heel tier list

s-tier
- samoa joe
- iiconics

a-tier
- drew mcintyre

idk fill in the rest

I remember when I backed the IIconics not too long after their debut. Before everyone else jumped on board the train.

Now I will be the first to jump off. Before everyone declares they were never good.

It is I, the one who thought Nirvana was cool and underground like 5 seconds before they became huge.

literally never listened to Nirvana to this day but appreciated the Weird Al parody a hella lot and declare it superior

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Grendels Dad posted:

That's not at all pronounced like "Ali" though, is it?

It's pretty much the same where I'm at :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crowds aren't dumb and can also figure out to just chant a dude's last name if it sounds better.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Crowds aren't dumb and can also figure out to just chant a dude's last name if it sounds better.
Crowd is apparently a word for "Vince" in the WWE universe's language it seems?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Aphrodite posted:

"Let's go Cena!"
- "Let's go John!"
"Let's go Cena!"
- "Let's go John!"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
Maybe Vince saw that Stan & Ollie film and decided for once in his life to strike while the pop culture iron was hot, and figured Ali was close enough phonetically speaking

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1110307900151468037?s=19

remember to be thankful each and every day that you aren’t the riot squad

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Charlotte’s 2019 losing streak is about to be broken.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The only Ali that exists is Muhammad Ali and is literally all you will get if you google search Ali.

lol googling Tucker just gives me tucker carlson. this is why unique names matter

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Abroham Lincoln posted:

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1110307900151468037?s=19

remember to be thankful each and every day that you aren’t the riot squad

Sooooooooooooooooooo

Is there some sort of prize for beating their respective Riott Squad member the fastest?

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004
I can't help but feel if nothing is announced for Cena that either Kurt squashes Baron and then Cena comes out, or Cena beats the poo poo out of Corbin and takes his place. If either of those things happen it would be pretty cool.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

So I guess we're getting Lashley/Finn at Mania, barring some swerve

https://ewrestling.com/article/wwe-announces-1-2-handicap-match-wrestlemania-implications-raw

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

For wrestling parent/child, I'd say Gory Guerrero and his kids.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Didn't they literally already do this to give him the belt before they took it right back off of him.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

VJeff posted:

Didn't they literally already do this to give him the belt before they took it right back off of him.

Yep, they sure did.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Finn had to lose it because a Demon title win is bigger than a Demon title defense.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

Sooooooooooooooooooo

Is there some sort of prize for beating their respective Riott Squad member the fastest?

The winner will receive a clock

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The winner will receive a clock

Who wants a beaten-up clock?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

Finn had to lose it because a Demon title win is bigger than a Demon title defense.

Uh excuse me I was told the Demon is a crutch and Finn Balor doesn't want to be dependent on it, if he didn't use it against Brock Lesnar but then did use it against Bobby Lashley I'm pretty sure that would make him look like an incompetent jacka--

Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

wrong thread