Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

2/5

The only Zelda game (of the ones I’ve played) I’ve ever completely bounced off of and never went back to. I got a couple of dungeons in and just went “this isn’t fun” and never picked it up again. Even now, despite owning it across multiple consoles (I think I have it three times now?) I just can’t get into it.

(Also, I know I’m joining late, but great idea for a thread!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
great game, water temple owns, Majora's Mask is better tho 4/5

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

11 year old me couldn't get into OOT, even then I would rather play ALTTP.

1/5

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yes, I would never go back to DOOM.

CoD gets a 2/5 for me because I hate the Enemy at the Gates ripoff russian levels. That poo poo is ripped strait from rear end-covering postwar nazi propaganda.

I think the only game worse than CoD for this was Company of Heroes. Nazi campaign in 1 is about two brothers and their journey through the war, while the Soviet campaign in 2 is all about how heartless, inefficient and cruel the Soviet war machine was. Like, gently caress off.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I replayed it just last year and it completely 100% holds up in its core design. Controls are a bit janky by modern standards so I'm docking a point off for that. 4/5

Ultimately I think that starting with Wind Waker, Zelda dungeons began a trend of being less miniature metroidvanias and more a series of challenges in a linear series of rooms. OoT has some of that dungeon design (Dodongo's Cavern and the Shadow Temple spring to mind) but it isn't the standard the way it would be in later games. The world is big but I never felt like I didn't know what to do next (I can only assume the person above who was constantly confused about their next move was just ignoring Navi). The combat has definitely been improved by later titles but the combat has never been what I'm playing Zelda for, and it's good enough to not annoy me.

My real hot take is that LttP is the real 2/5 because the combat is actively rear end, the world gives you no direction so you can legitimately have no idea what you need to do to get the item that unlocks the next dungeon, and the dungeon design is overly sprawling with tons of pointless rooms and with a few exceptions all of them have overly difficult combat gauntlets as the last few rooms before the boss. Its saving grace is the world is full of cool secrets and is really fun to explore (though there should have been more signposting about where to get mandatory items)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
3/5

If you're new and screw up the jump into that spider web, you have to climb all the loving way back up the whole goddamn tree

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

There are no good pre-3D Zelda games. The first good Zelda was Majora's Mask and that's more because it was weird and creepy than because it was actually a good game. That said I do have BotW for my shiny new Switch Lite so maybe something will finally knock Wind Waker off my top spot!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think the only game worse than CoD for this was Company of Heroes. Nazi campaign in 1 is about two brothers and their journey through the war, while the Soviet campaign in 2 is all about how heartless, inefficient and cruel the Soviet war machine was. Like, gently caress off.

Yeah it's real bad. I can't hate CoD1 because that and Dawn of War are two of my absolute fave RTSes ever and "Jesus Conrad, tie your fuckin' laces!" and other gems when you choose units, but yeaaah

e; It may be obvious but Metroidvania is not my genre lol

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 26, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
there are actually no good post-3D Zelda games

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
3/5. It's a really overrated game. May have done well for the time, but people still claiming it's one of the greatest games of all time really doesn't hold up. It is fairly solid in places, but plenty of games have done what it did better since then.

No Wave posted:

All of these games are technically well made and being too critical of anything nintendo does always feels dumb because their games always feel complete and non-buggy.

Unfortunately this stopped being true once the Switch came around. They've pushed out plenty of unfinished games quite frequently.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 26, 2019

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
OoT is a well-made game that isn't very fun to play anymore and doesn't stack up to the better 3D Zeldas, all of which are either more creatively interesting (Majora's Mask) or more fun to actually play (Breath of the Wild). 3/5

In general, I think the N64 was a "learning system" for devs while the Gamecube had better games for it, in the same way the NES and SNES worked. I get why people both love and hate OoT, but LttP haters are dangerous maniacs.

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...
5/5 Based on my most recent master quest playthrough, though after reading the posts here I am convinced this is all nostalgia. Played OOT a ton when I was young, and i really enjoyed following and trying to put together a speed run as many of the skips and item glitches added replayability by changing how you would interact with each dungeon. Majora mask is better.

CrowdControl fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 3, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nah, played Ocarina for the first time when it came out on 3DS and thought it was actually really impressive still. Only Zelda I actually finished, otherwise only got partway through Minish Cap, ALBW, and Phantom Hourglass. 4/5

Was on holiday and might update this thread with a new game tomorrow fwiw.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

ikanreed posted:

3/5

If you're new and screw up the jump into that spider web, you have to climb all the loving way back up the whole goddamn tree

git gud, deku scrub :colbert:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
3/5

It was amazing at the time, the time travel mechanic was neat, and had fun exploration. But it's most important accomplishment by far was creating the engine that would be used by Majora's Mask, which is loving incredible. I wish this series would take more risks.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

3/5

It was mind-blowing new but it's aged into averageness. It's a fine game in its own right but it's not a can't put it down experience, nor does it tower above others in the genre.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
Zelda as a series just doesn't take well to 3D (at least before BotW, anyway). OoT is a solid game, but not one I'd ever revisit. Its strongest point, by a very large margin, is the soundtrack. The gameplay pales in comparison to LA or LttP, but I think the best way to think about it is that the 3D Zeldas (again excluding BotW, which is another genre entirely) are no longer Metroidvanias, which is a massive detriment to the franchise. Then again, the best Zelda games weren't even made by Nintendo (OoS/OoA), so maybe they never truly knew what to do with the series anyway.

3/5

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Wow, surprising to see all the low scores.

5/5 for me. Successfully translated Zelda into 3D as gracefully as they did with Mario. Took advantage of the new 3D environments right way via Z-targeting (which was huge and was a massive improvement over similar games) and vertical level design. The Deku Tree's layout as the first dungeon in the game is a great example of this.

The atmosphere and story are also strong. the deliberate contrasting of the lighter settings and scenarios as child Link and the darker ones of Adult Link are a great thematic metaphor for the transition into adulthood. The moody dungeons and music are amongst my favorite in the series: specifically the aforementioned Deku Tree, Forest Temple and Spirit Temple. Wonderfully immersive.

The game mechanically not only set the frame work for the next two decades of 3D Zelda games, it was also a major reference point for third person games in general for a similar amount of time. I still do a playthrough every couple of years and enjoy it equally each time. It's a crown jewel of gaming. Even if it's been surpassed mechanically in some regards, the fact that it did so many things excellently, the first time they had been done, means I could never give this less then a 5 / 5.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
3/5

I first played it in the early 2000s, was unimpressed. I replayed it on the 3DS, liked it slightly more. The dungeons were the best part, hated how obtuse everything else was. Honestly I think what ruined it was growing up with a PS1 and both Megaman Legends games as opposed to an N64 and both Zeldas, plus the only Zeldas I'd played were the GBC ones. I still maintain the MML games are better 3D Zeldas than the actual ones.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Finally got my act back together. With 21 votes, OOT gets a surprisingly lukewarm 3.29

Next, we're going back to WW2 with...

Gamespy posted:

It's a brilliant combination of incredibly deep real-time strategy, beautiful presentation and innovative features that make it one of the best gaming experiences of 2006 to date.

Times Online posted:

It’s a gritty Second World War caper that loads the gaming experience to the hilt, leaving players battered, bruised and thoroughly stirred.

PC Gamer UK posted:

This is the finest WWII strategy game I've played. Hell, I'm having real trouble thinking of any strategy game that's this spectacular, this intense, this fun.
Company of Heroes

For this one you can count whichever version of the game you want, base game or expansions, up to you. I'm choosing COH because, despite owning it for close to a decade, I only recently played through the game's campaign. It's real good! Very much a Band of Brothers/Private Ryan facsimile, but the missions are memorable, exciting, and varied. I'll be honest, back in the day I thought this game heralded the future of RTS, so imma give it a 5/5. Its focus on frontline battles, map control, and positioning over build orders and micro made the game more approachable than its peers, and its audio and visual design were unparalleled at the time, lending it an incredible amount of verisimilitude. Hell, it still looks good with its unit animations, cover system and destructibility. Too bad I was wrong and it turns out the future of RTS was actually dying instead. :(.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 19, 2019

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Never played this one, but excited to see the responses. :)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Not starcraft 1/5

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I remember the explosions, sound design, and terrain ruining, and general sense of chaotic tearing poo poo up being excellent, which is of course why you play these games. Also the singleplayer missions were well designed and really fun.

Solid 4/5 RTS

disclaimer: it's been years since I've really played any RTS games so I don't really have anything recent to compare it to.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 19, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Best unit barks in an RTS ever.

Couldn't get it to ever run properly on my computer so I can not score it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

"Jesus, Conrad, tie your fuckin' laces!"

"I'M A LITTLE FUCKIN' BUSY HERE!"

etc. etc.

Best unit barks confirmed.

So anyway COH is a fantastic game because yes, it's a really solid RTS at its core, but also because it had a real sense of setting that it sells extremely well. And the difference between a pristine village and farmland at the start of a match and the absolutely devastated ruins by the end is just :discourse:

Was going to rate this a four mainly because I like Dawn of War even more and there are a handful of even better ones in the genre, but... really tempted to give it the max. gently caress it. 5/5.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i will avoid scoring, and instead say this is my favorite game that i've never been able to play. i'm super slow and defensive in strategy games, and CoH is a little too fast paced for me. i can recognize it's an excellent game though, and i'm still going to play it again when i can

also, boston accents

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
An RTS? oh okay well i liked

wait, not starcraft or C&C? yikes, but my favorite was always

oh it's not Total Annihilation either

well poo poo

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It's an RTS that came out after the WC3 map editor made 95% of the gaming public realize they didn't like actual RTSs, so I'm not anticipating a lot of responses here.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Control Volume posted:

Not starcraft 1/5

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lots of great unit personalities with the responses, very visually enjoyable, and it wasn't StarCraft, but the AI cheated pretty badly. It did of course steal a lot from pop history and the ahistorical stuff was juuust enough to be annoying, but firefights were quite visually impressive for the time.

4/5

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

2/5

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What I liked about CoH was that it was a game where you could fortify a position well, and that you had to put thought into how to do that, something that isn't common in RTS. It was fun to position an antitank gun covered by a sniper just so that all tanks and infantry get wrecked, I also remember that it was pretty tense and just fun to play so 4/5 I guess though I don't like the general chuddiness that WW2 games tend to have and this one's not really an exception to that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Control Volume posted:

Not starcraft

good

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

[Dark Souls] also at one point requires you to go through an invisible wall in order to complete the game, which is fine if you're online so you can see all the notes telling you about them, but if your XBOX isn't connected to the internet like mine, finding hidden walls are basically impossible.

Uh. Where? I can think of a couple illusory walls that are required for optional content, if you meant 'complete' in a more "go to all the zones, see all the DLC" way, but for the main path I'm not coming up with anything.

You have to walk on a couple invisible pathways, but I feel like that wasn't what you meant. (They're only in one small zone, before one mandatory boss.)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The wall before Sif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

No Wave posted:

The wall before Sif.

there is no mandatory illusory wall before sif

there is one nearby that leads to the only convenient bonfire for fighting her though