Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

1) Challenges as they occur I think. It really matters, like I had a lot of fun with all stages Monster Max (and I did DK all items which made it slightly harder). But I wouldn't really want anything artificial unless it's like... well, I'm thinking of like Trevor-only for Castlevania III, it's balanced greatly to him so that it's a fun challenge.

2) I think you're doing a pretty good job! I've played a lot but that's to be expected and I'm fine with sitting out. Throw them up for voting at the end if it's too stressful.

3) I'm enjoying the monthly type so far actually. I'm glad to take it easy!

4) Well, I like megathreads as they look so alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

e: my "biggest bullshit game" was Hyper Lode Runner (Robocop is an honorable mention). Hyper Lode Runner had some really fun gameplay but gated it behind ridiculously difficult puzzle levels that effectively reduced it to "demo with editor" for 10-year-old me.

I was so disappointed when I played Hyper Lode Runner earlier this year. Couldn't figure out how it could be so obtuse considering what I knew and had played of other Lode Runner games

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Trip World sure is a thing. Only took around 20 minutes to complete (with only five levels it was never going to take long), and it's far from being legitimately challenging in any respect (although I did faff around underwater trying to make platforms out of nothing before realising that there's a way to turn into a fish). It's actually easier than Kirby's Dream Land, if you can believe such a thing is possible, with very few things outside of boss encounters and spikes that can/will actively harm you. Most 'enemies' act more like passive obstacles than anything else.

That being said, I can think of much worse ways to spend 20 minutes on the Game Boy (the deplorable Total Carnage, for example, quickly earned the nickname "Total Garbage" from my 8-year-old self for being ugly, boring and above all just an awful racket of noise -- in other words, it's poo poo). Trip World, much like KDL, has got lots of cute spritework to look at and as per Sunsoft's usual output in the 80s/90s it's got catchy music which I'll probably be absent-mindedly whistling to myself at various times over the weekend. Not a bad game. Probably not one I'd replay over the oft-mentioned Kirby, but what the hell, maybe when I'm not in the mood to devour the population of Dream Land for the umpteenth time I'll give Trip World another spin instead.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

It's definitely a kind of neat game with weird polish in a lot of areas but, you're right, there's little challenge to it. Also, it's rarity as it wasn't a big release (no US version). And although it looks similar to Gimmick they were done by different teams (barring a Special Thanks and am Adviser credit between them).

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

That being said, I can think of much worse ways to spend 20 minutes on the Game Boy (the deplorable Total Carnage, for example, quickly earned the nickname "Total Garbage" from my 8-year-old self for being ugly, boring and above all just an awful racket of noise -- in other words, it's poo poo).

Who the hell took a look at Total Carnage, a game that relies on having a lot of sprites onscreen and a lot of stuff going on and decided "I'm going to put it on the Game Boy which is not at all configured for that kind of action" :psyduck:

Also speaking of games that probably only take 20 minutes to beat, I suggest people here give HAL Laboratories' Trax a look. It's a top-down tank shoot-em-up that came out a year before Kirby's Dream Land while also suspiciously using some of the same sprites. But it's a fun little shooter that you can definitely finish in one go.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anyone here a fan of Pinball: Revenge of the Gator? That's the one game besides Tetris that I'd actually play on the go, instead of just on the couch. It was a really fun pinball game, although I don't think I ever completed all of the special bonus rooms.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I was more a Kirby’s Pinball Land fan. Made by the same devs. They both have great feeling pinball physics for the time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Speaking of Kirby, Kirby's Dreamland 2 is my jam. Also, Super Mario 2: 6 Golden Coins.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shibawanko posted:

Anyone here a fan of Pinball: Revenge of the Gator? That's the one game besides Tetris that I'd actually play on the go, instead of just on the couch. It was a really fun pinball game, although I don't think I ever completed all of the special bonus rooms.

It's pretty good, though my love goes to Pokemon Pinball

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

I was more a Kirby’s Pinball Land fan. Made by the same devs. They both have great feeling pinball physics for the time.

I have a real Love/Hate relationship with KPL. I love the aesthetic and the whole Kirby theme over what amounts to a basic pinball idea (bosses aside) but every time I go near it, 90% of the time the physics/handling just does whatever the gently caress it wants with the most impossible bullshit and makes me want rip someone's loving head off. When I was 6 I legit headbutted a GameBoy because of this loving game and the screen... well, yeah.

Abso-loving-lutely not a game I can relax with.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hey thread, sorry I've been so absentee!
I've cleaned up the OP to removed the challenge stuff, tidied up the previous games section to include the stuff we've played over the last few months and put up two games for December.

December's theme: Games to get you in the Christmas Spirit.
I like puns and will not apologise for them

Our games this month are Avenging Spirit and Bubble Ghost!
I'll post more about them soon, but a quick note that Avenging Spirit is available on the 3DS eShop if anyone would like to experience it that way.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
avenging spirit is super good and I'd never heard of it until like a year ago

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sounds good, count me in (again)!

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
My favorite part of Avenging Spirit is just how removed the American box art is from how the game looks and plays. The game is good fun though, and getting the good ending is super tough.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Holy poo poo Avenging Spirit is relentless with enemy respawns, it's almost as bad as Ninja Gaiden. This basically means Game Over when a bunch of those nunchaku fuckheads turn up at once and just beat you (and then by association, each other) to death.

Fun game though :v:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hey on the bright side you're never lacking enemies to possess

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
I’m not sure if I’m in the right place but I have a link’s awakening cart and gameboy I’ve been playing on an off since 3, never beat it so I try to play every couple of years. I was about to open the wind fish thing on my last save, that was over 10+ years old and it looks like my saves are wiped! I made a new save, saved and it’s gone too. How do I fix my cartridge?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

superloosegoose posted:

I’m not sure if I’m in the right place but I have a link’s awakening cart and gameboy I’ve been playing on an off since 3, never beat it so I try to play every couple of years. I was about to open the wind fish thing on my last save, that was over 10+ years old and it looks like my saves are wiped! I made a new save, saved and it’s gone too. How do I fix my cartridge?

You need to replace the battery in the cartridge. You should be able to find a guide on google.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

leper khan posted:

You need to replace the battery in the cartridge. You should be able to find a guide on google.

The save is gone right? Oh well, I love this game. One day I’ll get in that egg

Edit: thank you for your help!

superloosegoose fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 14, 2019

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yeah, saves for pokemon gold and silver were the first to go because the clock put extra strain on the battery but saves in all those old games are heading to the file select screen in the sky now. replacing the battery isn't really a big deal but i have no idea how you'd go about extracting the files themselves

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Bennvenn ( https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/collections/game-cart-to-pc-interface ) has a GB/GBC cart dumper that you could potentially use to pull the save off of it - although if you've powered on the game though then it's probably too late and yeah, it's gone. He's sold out at the moment but might be worth looking around for something similar!

Edit: Sorry I'm hungover and on re-reading your question this doesn't help at all! It might help someone else in the future at some point, maybe :v:
I think earlier in the thread I was asking about battery replacement and someone was linking some good tutorial videos of how to replace the battery, it seems pretty straightforward, I just haven't gotten around to sitting down with all my carts, a stack of batteries and a soldering iron yet.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mode 7 posted:

Bennvenn ( https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/collections/game-cart-to-pc-interface ) has a GB/GBC cart dumper that you could potentially use to pull the save off of it - although if you've powered on the game though then it's probably too late and yeah, it's gone. He's sold out at the moment but might be worth looking around for something similar!

Edit: Sorry I'm hungover and on re-reading your question this doesn't help at all! It might help someone else in the future at some point, maybe :v:
I think earlier in the thread I was asking about battery replacement and someone was linking some good tutorial videos of how to replace the battery, it seems pretty straightforward, I just haven't gotten around to sitting down with all my carts, a stack of batteries and a soldering iron yet.

I finally got off my butt and purchased a soldering iron kit and replacement batteries...only to find out that the ones i had were too big for the cartridge I was trying to use it on (basically in most cases you can fit a CR2025 or a CR2032 in the place of a default CR2016 battery, but not really the case for me this time)

Anyway, I got some CR2016s and i'm going to give it another shot over Christmas. Fortunately I'm glad I decided to test it on a relatively cheap game first rather than risk damaging Donkey Kong or Super Mario Bros. DX

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I was glad to see this thread back!

Weird game, interesting. I don't think Avenging Spirit really worked gameplay-wise, I think it needed drops maybe or have the enemies be less snipe-y and button read-y. The level design and key system, also complaints there but that's not important. It did have some cool music and art though (and that ending worked)! I wonder how the arcade one is?

I liked Bubble Ghost, when I first started it I felt like it was somebody's weird passion project for the Mac or something. I guess I wasn't too off considering it's a port of a French-made game originally made for the Atari ST! It's weirdly charming although I'm still a bit confused on the continue system (it's not unlimited but I guess you start out with one and earn more?). Charming graphics and I liked the song.

Oh, if anyone needs help with the first shortcut (Room 14 I think) it's get it to the middle by overblowing about half and then blowing back to get it exactly in the center horizontally, and then blow it upwards (making sure to follow it) starting about on the animation frame right before the spikes are fully extended (it's like frame 3 or something).

Edit: Check out the cool packaging.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 17, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I'm loving crying with laughter at the US box for Avenging Spirit. It just gets funnier every time I see/read it. Decent enough game though, can be very tricky in places and some of the characters you can possess are straight-up dogshit useless but it's still pretty cool overall. Got the keys and all that jazz for the good ending, found the first two by accident but really had to go out of my way for the third (or at least it felt that way compared to the others).

Bubble Ghost is neat and after some of the relative button-mashing involved with Avenging Spirit it's also pleasantly relaxing.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hello Game Boy goons. I'm going to be out of the country on my honeymoon for most of late January and early February.

I've got a vague idea of some titles we could do this month but absolutely open to suggestions at the moment, but also would appreciate if someone would like to step up and nominate February's game as well?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Congrats!

How about another Japanese-only (fan translated) one, Cave Noire? I've been wanting to try it for awhile, it's a Konami-made Roguelike. It's fairly difficult (though there is a save system) and a bit long but I'm up for it that month I think.

Or we could just make KPL/Pinball: Revenge of the Gator official (was Trip World one too?). Other ideas: Pocket Bomberman (there's a GBC color version), DK Land, Solar Striker, Kid Dracula or Ghostbusters II (although they'd probably be better for Oct), etc. A lot of games I want to play are ones I never touched which muddies my suggestions a bit (Kid Dracula GB is legit though, I think it's the definitive version).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hi, I’ve been lurking this thread. Here are some suggestions.

Games with different names in each region (and with regional differences):
Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest/Seiken Densetsu
Contra/Probotector/Operation C
The Real Ghostbusters/Garfield Labyrinth/Mickey Mouse IV: Mahō no Labyrint

Nintendo classics are back, in pocket form:
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Icons

Wait, Nintendo published these?!:
James Bond 007
Mole Mania (this one made perfect sense when I found out who made this)
The Rescue of Princess Blobette (just in Europe)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 3, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I recommend James Bond 007. Reminds me of The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls and the GB Zelda games.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

As long as it's not Total Carnage I think we'll be fine.

And congratulations, Mode 7!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Nobody appreciates the Tetris B music. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VNyQgGSXzQ

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I'd cycle through all of 'em as a kid. Admittedly I'm a lazy button-mashing poo poo now when I play Tetris and just spam through the menus to get dropping some blocks.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

That was my music of choice, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve always loved B too. There’s a kick rear end remix of it in Smash. I’m hoping it gets a theme in Tetris 99.