Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Sunadithax, the Division of Fatebending had a couple of notes about your cover story. What kind of goddess was this forgotten goddess you worship? Also, I presume you have an actual faith of your own, since you can cast divine spells. What actual religion are you?” She looks curious. “Is it strange pretending to worship a fake god?”

Sundaithax fidgets, tapping her claws together as if she's trying to figure out if she's about to give the wrong answer. "Well, I figure as long as the goddess' hypothetical domains fit the actual domains of Lady Dol Arrah, the Division can do whatever it likes with the cover story, if that makes it simpler. I wasn't going to make any requests, it wasn't that important to me. Something to do with sunlight and healing should be good enough." She hesitates, and adds, "I, uh. If I'm being honest, I mostly came up with the "forgotten goddess" thing so I wouldn't really have to pretend to worship a fake. The Sovereign Six take many forms, you know? I still know I'm worshiping Dol Arrah, and so does she. That's the important part."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Solomirathnius,” Qatriona asks, “the department of Fatebending wanted to know what effect this ‘Old Magic, True Magic’ had on your spells. Can anybody tell a difference just by looking at them?” She cocks her head. “And with your talent for prophecy, why didn’t you try to join one of the more scholarly segments of the Chamber? There are any number of orreries looking for apprentices.”

The silver dragon cocks his head slightly to the left as he considers the questions. He had prepared for the first one but not quite so for the second one.

Solomirathnius attempts to nonchalantly readjust his seating position, slightly puffing out his chest as befits his bloodline in a display of confidence while still showing the proper deference to Qatriona. The net effect is a mostly awkward shift, his own juvenile lankiness contributing to it.

“What I had planned for the Old Magic is more of a slight sensory feel to it, ma’am,” he begins with a slight smile - or what passes for a smile among dragonkind. “No visual effects per se, especially for weaker spells, but something other wizards and wielders of the arcane might experience if subject to a spell or if in close enough vicinity to it. Something akin to staring deep into an abyss or dark void, or to that feeling you get when first laying eyes upon the Face of Eberron; a barely comprehensible vastness from time immemorial that dwarfs you and yet still feels familiar. Those not attuned to the arcane would be subject to a suitably muted experience, but something would still stir in the back of their mind.”

He pauses, allowing Qatriona to consider this and waiting for follow up questions. He then lightly clicks his tongue and continues. “As for your second question, I cannot deny that the though has occurred to me, that I feel the call of the Loredrake and that the Prophecy fascinates me. However, I also crave adventure and if I am to truly become a well-rounded scholar, I must first experience the world; gather some first-hand data if you will. It also must be said that working for the SPCE will allow me to take a claws-on approach to defend dragonkind and all of existence as opposed to a more detached approach from one of the orreries.”

Once done, Solomirathnius shrugs noncommittally. “Excuse me for prattling on, ma’am. I am passionate about magic and the Prophecy and I’ve wanted to work for The Chamber for as long as my matron has deemed me fit to listen to her tales about it.”

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

“So, Rodaguld, you seem to have given your alias a rather unusual set of skills. What made you want to combine magic with gymnastics?” She makes a note. “And the Division of Fatebending is wondering how you want them to handle your “miraculous cure”. Some kind of magic spell, or soemthing obviously visible? Some sort of fake prosthesis can be arranged.” She furrows her brow. “A prosthetic prosthesis.”

Rodaguld takes a breath and thinks over her answer. What sort of answer is Qatriona looking for? The honest answer is because she wanted to join the circus when she was younger. Roda had half caught a performance of dragons doing seemingly impossible turns and flips in midair, using their flying and their magic to turn the sky into a canvas. She'd spent countless hours on her Flight's grounds trying to imitate them. Once her elders caught wind of her dream however, Roda was put into a full time intense magical training course followed by an endless amount of tutoring hours and internships stripping her of any and all free time. The only reason she was allowed to apply for this position was because it was for the Chamber and would 'bring prestige to-'

A cough from Qatriona brought Roda back to the room.

"My apologies." Perhaps Honesty should be saved for someone who cares for it. Qatriona is a practical and busy woman, Roda's wandering mind aside, a direct and practical answer would work best. "Well, the combination of skills are perfect for covert operations. I'm sure my tasks call for deftness." If they didn't, The Siberys would have been sent. "It's perfect for infiltration, exfiltration, item recovery, ambush and surveillance. Things of that nature." A good enough answer, at-least in Roda's eyes.

She watches as Qatriona makes a note onto Roda's application. Qatriona then questions her about Robin's recovery.

"External physical props, in my opinion, would only get in the way. They could end up stolen or disabled." And knowing the DFB, if the device ended up disabled, so would Robin. "No, I think having something physically attached or embedded in Robin is the best option. He could have runes from a ritual that were permanently etched onto his lower body or a series of stitches on both legs from some operation or replacement. A quick flash of a surgery scar answers how's he's walking again. Not that I think I'd have to show it off."

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 10, 2019

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

“So, uh, hey guys. What’s up? Welcome to my, like, informal seminar on fitting in with the population of Khorvaire.”

It’s rare to see a changeling wearing their own face, even in Argonesson, where changelings are fairly well tolerated; after all, it’s not like they can disguise themselves as dragons, so why be afraid of them? This changeling keeps glancing down uncertainly at a clipboard.

“So, like, my name is Reev,” he says, smoothing back his tousled grey hair, “and I’m one of the head Lamplighters around here. We do all the odd jobs and stuff; scouting locations, setting up dead drops of Chamber agents, and just generally keeping tabs on things on the ground. Anyway, uh, Qat wanted me to do a psychological profile on you guys? To try and see how well you can fit in among humans, and elves, and other mortal dudes, right? So I’m supposed to run you through a simple twenty seven point battery of questions that will help determine your mental fitness…”

He looks down at the clipboard again, turns it upside down, peers at it doubtfully, and then tosses it aside. “Screw that. Let’s just do some freeform improv. I’m going to give you some scenarios, and you tell me what you’d do in those scenarios, and then we’ll take things from there. Remember the three rules of improvisation: always say ‘Yes, and...’, make definitive statements, and there are no mistakes, only choices.” He claps his hands. "Let's begin!"

These questions are totally 100% optional and just for funsies. Don't answer if you don't feel like it. If you want, pick one, or roll 1d4 and let the dice pick for you

quote:

1. You’ve been invited to attend a costume ball at the royal palace of Crownhome, in Korth, to celebrate the Queen Regent’s birthday. According to the Prophecy, there will be a terrible, gruesome death that night. The invitation suggests that you bring a present, and wear suitable attire. You know that you will be searched for weapons at the door. What do you bring, and what are you dressed as?

quote:

2. You are walking down a busy street in Fairhaven, when you feel a tug at your belt. Someone has just snatched your coinpurse! You turn, and see a small figure darting away through the crowd. You also see that a town guard has witnessed the whole event, but seems disinclined to do anything about it. What do you do?

quote:

3. A lightning rail has gone out of control as is careening down the tracks! The conductor is dead! The engine is far too large and powerful to be stopped or even slowed by any magic or strength you have. Ahead of you, you see a carriage containing four or five humans broken down at a track crossing in the engine's path. Immediately in front of you, to the right, the track diverges, but a small goblin child has her back turned as she tries to fry a beetle on one of the lightning stones, and doesn't see the engine coming. There’s a lever in front of you; if you pull it, it will divert the train towards the child. What do you do, and why?

quote:

4. You are visiting Sharn, pretending to be a bodyguard. A hobgoblin Dhakaani warchief on a diplomatic mission to Wroat wants you to accompany one of his wives, a talented dirge-singer, and guard her person. She wants to visit the dangerous slums, and maybe see a pit fight. Do you take here there, and if not, where do you take her?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

quote:

1. You’ve been invited to attend a costume ball at the royal palace of Crownhome, in Korth, to celebrate the Queen Regent’s birthday. According to the Prophecy, there will be a terrible, gruesome death that night. The invitation suggests that you bring a present, and wear suitable attire. You know that you will be searched for weapons at the door. What do you bring, and what are you dressed as?

The changeling had barely finished speaking when Hezeran stands up dramatically. "What's this? A costume ball? And I know exactly what to wear. But first, friend Gonzoid, please fetch us the guest list." He faces the other direction. "Why of course, dear Zeran."

"Dude, do you want me to play the other part?"

"No, no, I got this. Actually wait, can you?"

"Sure. Ahem. Why of course, dear Zeran. Hngh. Thunk."

"Creeeeaak. Careful now. This poor table can't take many more tomes like that. Now, good sir, somewhere within this voluminous monolith of an invite list is surely someone we are less than fond of."

"Do you actually plan to use that voice over in Khorvaire?"

"I dunno, I'll figure it out when I get there. Anyway. Flip flip flip. Aha! The Baron von Strickenbert will be attending. A most unpleasant sort."

"Indeed! His drilling for magic on ancestral lands is only one of his many crimes."

"His attempt to use mist from the Mournland as an ingredient in tonics is infamous."

"And who can forget his kidnapping of refugees from Cyre to work in his mines?"

"Truly a hateful man. But Gonzoid, we must turn our minds to more important matters. According to the Draconic Prophecy, a gruesome murder will occur tonight at the party! And, as proud agents of the SCPE, it is our solemn duty to ensure the Prophecy's fulfillment. Gonzoid my friend, ready my domino mask and cape! The Crystal Crusader rides tonight!"

"Neat. Hey, the prompt also asked you to bring a present for the Queen Regent. What did you have in mind?"

"I shall tear the villain's heart out with my bare claws and present it to the royal highness! But yeah. That's all I got."

"Right on. Okay, so you kill the guy and everyone thinks it's an elaborate performance. Later that night, you learn that a fire elemental escaped and burned one of the servants to a crisp."

"Wait, what? But there was already a gruesome death."

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Prophecy doesn't work like that."

"Oh."

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 12, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

quote:

2. You are walking down a busy street in Fairhaven, when you feel a tug at your belt. Someone has just snatched your coinpurse! You turn, and see a small figure darting away through the crowd. You also see that a town guard has witnessed the whole event, but seems disinclined to do anything about it. What do you do?

"Hah, there's a certain trick that I learned back in Sharn exactly to deal with this sort of situation. The real trick, y'know, is to sew several small coin pockets inside your jacket or outer clothing or buy at least a dozen coinpurses to put your money into. That way the thief will at least take a small pittance but still enough to eat a meal and I don't get annoyed enough with the loss to go through the hassle of going after him. And if the guard doesn't look like he gives a poo poo I might as well ensure I don't give one either, nyah-hah!"

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
As Reev introduces himself, Sunadithax starts to give him an unobtrusive wave hello in return until she sees that nobody else seemed to be reacting. She awkwardly converts her movement into pretending she was shaking out a hand cramp. Nobody is convinced.

quote:

"So the point is to react like we're humans, right? Or, uh, halflings, or elves or whatever. Not dragons, anyway." She thinks for a second. "So, I think the most important part of the question is, why isn't the guard doing anything? Either it's because they don't care about the little pickpocket, or they think the thief deserves the money more than I do. So, I go over to the guard and ask them very angrily why they didn't do anything. Then, depending on what they say, I can take appropriate action from there."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Talanakuthrah briefly thinks on the questions for a bit before responding, he probably could have thought on them longer.

quote:

3. A lightning rail has gone out of control as is careening down the tracks! The conductor is dead! The engine is far too large and powerful to be stopped or even slowed by any magic or strength you have. Ahead of you, you see a carriage containing four or five humans broken down at a track crossing in the engine's path. Immediately in front of you, to the right, the track diverges, but a small goblin child has her back turned as she tries to fry a beetle on one of the lightning stones, and doesn't see the engine coming. There’s a lever in front of you; if you pull it, it will divert the train towards the child. What do you do, and why?

"I leap in front of the train and stop it. I simply do not believe that it cannot be stopped by the strength I possess. The idea that I could not prove capable of stopping it is simply preposterous. And that way humans, goblin, and passengers are all safe and sound."

quote:

4. You are visiting Sharn, pretending to be a bodyguard. A hobgoblin Dhakaani warchief on a diplomatic mission to Wroat wants you to accompany one of his wives, a talented dirge-singer, and guard her person. She wants to visit the dangerous slums, and maybe see a pit fight. Do you take here there, and if not, where do you take her?

"Of course I take her to the slums and to see a pit fight. I can guard her if necessary, and it may be a good experience for her. Perhaps she will learn how to fight for herself."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jynxorrha winces. OH NO MORE QUESTIONS. The green dragon takes a deep steadying breath, focusing on Reev. Which is nice, because he's kind of cute.

quote:

"Um...." The 'um' goes on for some time, changing in pitch as it does. "Oh! Uh, well, first I don't worry about weapons because if it's a big birthday party there'll be like guards and stuff and I can knock them out and take their swords!" Jynx nodded. This seemed right. "I come made up as one of the... oh... the elves who do that thing!" She stares at Reev. "You know, the thing and they've got the Dragonmark... House Phiarlan! Yeah! Them! I come as like an entertainer because I can do all that flippy poo poo." Jynxorrha seems extremely confident about this. "And because I'd be performing and I'd be awesome and I wouldn't need a gift." The way her voice goes up at the end makes it a question.

quote:

"I chase that little creep down!" Jynx growls. "I can totally out run a kid! Leaping off wagons and stalls or whatever, that little tool can't get away!" There's a pause. "I mean, when I catch I'd just really scare him, I wouldn't like eat him or anything that's just... rude and he's just a kid but... that's still my money!"

quote:

Jynx's face twists in confusion. "Uh. Huh. I fly out to save the kid and tell somebody to pull the lever after I snatch her and they should do it because then they'll see a dragon and be worried I'll like come back and eat them if they don't?" She rubs at the back of her neck. "Like... I dunno... am I undercover? You didn't say to KEEP cover... and letting a kid is kind of a dick move... so... yeah! I'll go with that!"

quote:

"Heck yeah, I do! That sounds fun!" Jynxorrha beams. "I can protect her. Does the warlord give us like a snack budget?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

quote:

Quintos hems and haws for a few moments, wrapping up their thoughts into some sort of composed thought-package, then finally begins to speak. She says, "Well, the weapons aren't a problem. If you know how to throw a good punch, you're never going to be out of luck when the fighting starts. I'm more worried about the gift thing, really, and maybe the costume. Giving some sort of, I don't know, gold statuette is right out. They probably already have fifteen..." Her eyes glaze for a moment, surely thinking about whether one would really be missed, then she shakes her head and returns to answering the question. "So, uh, maybe an experience is the better bet. I bet I could write a scroll of parchment that would shake the Queen-Regent's very soul and maybe even help her realize that she didn't need all those fancy decorations and whatnot to feel spiritually fulfilled. Between that and probably making sure that the murder happens to someone not-as-missable, she'll probably just shower me with riches. And gratitude, I guess, but mostly riches."

Quintos counts the points on her claws and coughs as she realizes she's forgotten one of them. Hurriedly, she adds, "I was thinking I'd dress as a Talanthan dinosaur rider. It's that right mix of exotic and plausibly cultural that'd make it really hard for anyone to know whether it'd be okay to say anything... and people would read too much into the costume to connect whatever happens that night with Five."

quote:

Quintos says, "Oh, well, that's a problem. I don't keep much in the way of coins, really, but that would be my poetry supplies! The absolute fiend... they must think the secrets of my wordplay and meter are linked to the materials. Alas, for them, they are not. But I can't risk some urchin putting out Five originals that aren't worth the paper or ink... I suppose I'll have to chase them down. I don't imagine it'll be too tough. My guise is quite small, as well, so the usual tiny-person-in-a-chase tricks of ducking down tiny corridors and knocking over carts to create obstacles wouldn't do much. Between that and my preternatural speed, being as I am a Leaf on the Wind, I imagine I'll find the charming urchin before too long." The pace of Quintos's patter increases as her imagination begins to escape her. "Ah, and what a tale of woe and adventure they'll have. Tears will be shed, I'll break the mood by talking about the time I made the Lord of Blades cry, and then we'll laugh and laugh and have all sorts of fun. We'll steal loaves of bread from roadside carts and talk of the problems facing them and society. I'll say something mysterious, yet profound, and they'll spend ages thinking on what it might mean! By the end of it all, they'll realize that the true poetry is in one's soul, not their tools."

quote:

Quintos looks a little embarrassed, "I'm pretty sure the rail will take care of itself. Just being, uh, particularly honest about my foibles, I'd have likely taken a sample or three from the tracks. Just to see if it was worth collecting, of course! And I'd probably shuffle the lever back and forth really fast until something broke. If luck was with me, it might shoot down the middle of the branch and straight into the local guardhouse. If not... well, I'd imagine some sort of nightmare scenario where the front of the train went on one track and the rear onto the others, putting everyone in mortal peril." Quintos scratches her cheek scales with a long talon, sparks dancing from the contact, and adds, "I suppose at that point I'd have to try to save the goblin. Not necessarily out of a moral stance or anything, I mean she's clearly aware that it's right and proper to toy with lesser creatures, but because it sounds like less of a hassle than getting the humans out of their carriage."

quote:

Quintos says, "Oh, that sounds like fun! Do you think they'd let me fight? I bet I could knock out an ogre or a bugbear or whatever sort of ringer they had waiting and then they'd love us. The lady would sing, we'd all drink, it'd be a real party and all the drinks would be free. This is good, because I can't imagine having to pay the amounts of money it'd take to get me drunk on pit swill. I'm like... almost sure that's how underground fighting pits work." She thinks about it a moment longer. "Yeah, that sounds right."

Tricky fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 11, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

quote:

"Waah? There's more of those questions?" Tyria's tail flaps around surpisedly. She stops for a few minutes, racking her head deep in thought while the two strange tentacle headmouths near to her start confabulating to each other, as if they are brainstorming for answers. "Well, I guess I'll be dressed as a magic performer, it's what I've been doing in the 'noid lands after all. It's not like I'd need weapons if the death is to be prevented, after all I can just cast a spell or take my true form and use my breath to stop the bad guys!"

quote:

A lightning rail has gone out of control as is careening down the tracks! The conductor is dead! The engine is far too large and powerful to be stopped or even slowed by any magic or strength you have. Ahead of you, you see a carriage containing four or five humans broken down at a track crossing in the engine's path. Immediately in front of you, to the right, the track diverges, but a small goblin child has her back turned as she tries to fry a beetle on one of the lightning stones, and doesn't see the engine coming. There’s a lever in front of you; if you pull it, it will divert the train towards the child. What do you do, and why?

"Pull the lever with one hand and cast a force spell to knock the brat out of the rails with the other. It's gonna hurt the kid a bit and she'll sure feel it next morning butt it beats being turned into a pulp, isn't it? Seriously, who comes up with those questions to begin with, this is such a weak moral conundrum..."

quote:

You are visiting Sharn, pretending to be a bodyguard. A hobgoblin Dhakaani warchief on a diplomatic mission to Wroat wants you to accompany one of his wives, a talented dirge-singer, and guard her person. She wants to visit the dangerous slums, and maybe see a pit fight. Do you take here there, and if not, where do you take her?

"I was hired to accompany and guard the lady, not to take her to dangerous places! Unless the warchief gives his consent, I have no reason to obey the whims of this missy! Not to mention 'pit fighting' seems to be such a bloody and brutal sport..."

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Solomirathnius listens closely as the unchanged changeling sets up the scenario, unconsciously hugging his tail. He physically winces as Reev describes his coinpurse being stolen, automatically letting out a low growl. “NO!” He says a touch too loudly. “This disgusting little creature steals coins destined for MY HOARD and tries to get away? Absurd! I’d fly up to him and, tear his, uh...” Sol pauses remembering the prompt.

“I mean, uh, ‘Yes and’, uh...” Sol thinks back to his studies and accounts of what humans and the like do in such situations. Guards are supposed to be inept, so that’s an expected part of the scenario. A human-penned play comes to mind and Sol puffs up his chest and does momentarily regret not interning with the bard college that one summer until he realizes that pffft how hard can it be to impersonate a human? He twists his brow in a look of proud consternation, jumps up and strikes a heroic pose defiantly pointing in the direction of the imagined thief.

“Yes and, uh... Hark, foul vagrant! Dost thou not see thou hast, uh, taken mine possessions that are verily not, uh, thoust? Uh, suspend thine fleeing so that I might, uh, sufficiently chastise thee after reclaiming mine hoard, er, monies!” Sol turns around, looking very proud of himself. “Then I’d give chase and catch him and I think that the socially accepted thing to do is to teach the thief to be a better thief but to then provide them with a valuable life lesson and then offer them a job along the lines of teahouse attendant? Yeah, that.”

cigaw fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 12, 2019

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

quote:

I give Reev a toothy smile. I'm rather fond of Changelings, as they tend to be more interested in the theatrical than most dragons around here. When the question is posed to me, I say, "If they're inviting Thea, a known Cyre patriot, they must expect some sort of minor scandal, so I'll plan on attending as Captain Wein Pharlost, the famed Cyre commander who lead the 4th regiment to a crushing victory over the Karnathi undead in the Last War. Thea would be soaking in the scandalized looks she's receiving from the petty nobles. But, there's being provocative, and there's being a poor guest. And monarchs, like us dragons, are much less interested in putting up with the former if they're also the latter. So, the gift would have to actually be something nice. Say... a new bit of music, performed for the Regent on her birthday?"

There's a long pause, and I add, hastily, "Oh, right, the gruesome death. Ah... well, if the Prophecy says it's definitely going to happen, there's not much to do about it, right? All the parts have already been set in motion. In fact, trying to stop it could endanger the Prophecy's stability." Taking another pause, I take a moment to work the rest out. Brushing aside the idea that I might have spent too much time thinking about what Thea would be doing, I say, "So.. the best thing to do would be to make sure there are no Dust agents present to interfere. If they are... I don't have any weapons, but I have magic. And I can use it to persuade the guards to arrest the agent until after the party. Yes, keeping things calm would be the best way to handle it." I finish with a nod, as if nothing could be more obvious.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

quote:

Hypathivarnyx tries to stretch out and relax. She isn't entirely sure about this "improvisation" business, but isn't that the entire reason she's here? She can't completely plan out every bit of Xaniphae's life, after all. So... relax. Breathe in. Act. How would Xaniphae handle this?

"Oh, of course I'd take her to the pit fights! It's not my job to second-guess the desires of a client, and a wife of a warchief can handle herself, certainly. If she can't... well, then that's my job, and of course I can handle any local toughs. The important thing is that she has the good time she's hoping for and comes away from the evening satisfied, since that's my responsibility, and the safety shouldn't be a problem. Besides, the local color could be interesting, couldn't it be? Those pit fights, the little... slum markets? The sights," she says, ending emphatically to try and cover how little she actually knows about Sharn.

"... And she might sing a dirge, if I please her. That would be quite an experience!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Suuliinyax, the Bright Heir of Dark Flame

It's said that when Xyan was very young, she fell ill to a natural malady, one that would end her life before her sixth year. Despairing, her mother was told by priests that nothing could be done, that the gods had simply made her heart too small. With a curse, she sought the wisdom to summon an efreet, bargaining her motherhood for a wish. Xyan would live, but would have a heart of fire, and bear the curse of a sorcerous power she could barely control. When this was discovered, a night of flame and tragedy cast her out into a life of adventure. Hoping to find a way to purify her heart with the Silver Flame, Xyan seeks to avoid the coming day her new, burning mother takes home to Fernia.

... but in truth, Suuliinyax is part of a long line committed to watching for incursions from the Sea of Fire, as well as fine crafts of scalesmithery. Ancient curses for demons they have driven back have brought them apart from the rest of dragonkind, rendering them political outcasts. The young wyrmling is an olive branch of sorts, put forth to try and reestablish their contacts with the Chamber in trying times, as demonic plots circle underneath. Suulii is excited; fighting the terrifying forces of flame is her boring small town existence. Instead, she craves joy in the small things of humanoid culture, of sweetened foods and delicate song. In short, she's very excited to be here.

Also, she's spawns terrible abominations of elemental flame from her maw every now and then, but at least they're obedient. Mostly.

pre:
Name: Suuliinyax aka Xyan Ilus		Class: Demonologist*		Race: Dragon (red; "pyroclastic")
Level: 2				OUT: Fernian Heart		Guise: Human
Flame Spells: 4				Spell Level: 1st

STR 14		DEX 10		CON 14		INT 10		WIS 14		CHA 22

Init +2 	AC 15		PD 15		MD 15		HP 36		Recoveries 8 (2d6+2)

Racial Traits

Energy Type (thunder): Gain resist thunder 12+ and 1/battle: Breath Weapon close-quarters +8 vs PD;
2d6 thunder.

Draconic Form (standard action): Gain flight and Claw melee +4 vs AC; 2d6+2 damage, but take -2 to
use of nondraconic implements.

Humanoid Form (takes several minutes): Take human form, and gain Quick to Fight and Improved
Initiative; add +4 to to Initiative rolls, and roll twice for initiative, choosing either result.

Backgrounds

Ashen Candle of Hell's Fang +4: Raised near a Fernian planar breach, matters of things that burn
and things smithed are pretty familiar to Xyan. With a thousand tales of efreeti and demonic
incursions, though she hasn't faced a balor, she could spin a story about one pretty easily.

Mortal Chameleon +4: Despite her lack of experience in mortal matters, Suulii has the charm that
comes with being eager, earnest, and energetic. Though she might come across as odd, most would
hardly suspect her capable of draconic deception - to all appearances, she swears her heart on her
sleeve. Or she might, if it wasn't on fire.

Luck of Hlal +1: Suulii has a touch of luck, perhaps to balance the curses of demons. This largely
seems to manifest in light-hearted ways - at her expense as often than not.

Icon Relationships

The Gatekeepers (1, positive): It's not only dragons that keep Hell's Fang sparking at a low ember
- others do their part. But don't tell the dragons that. They might take offense. Still, the druids
understand how helpful a family of furious fireproof drakes can be.

The Lords of Dust (1, conflicted): Suulii wouldn't be the first to plunge into the flame and
abandon her clutch's duty to Eberron - if she did that. She can't imagine ever, ever doing
such a thing, but there might be those with dark hopes for her nonetheless.

The Silver Flame (1, conflicted): Though Xyan prays faithfully, her firey heart is a pathway to
abilities some might consider... unnatural.

Class Features

Path of Flame (fanatic): Gain resist fire 16+, ignore fire resistance of 18+ or lower, Summon
Flame Demon is recharge 11+, and access to 4 Flame Spells.

Choice of Implements: Use arcane implements as a sorcerer or wizard.

Curse Spells: Can trigger previously cast Curse spells during a battle when their trigger occurs as
an interrupt action. Only one interrupt can be taken per trigger.

Demon Summoner: Can cast a Summon Demon spell 1/day as a bonus spell. Demons do not require
actions to guide, but suffer from degradation, loss of control, and cannot be healed.

Ritual Magic: As per the Sorcerer or Wizard, but more thematically grim.

Talents

Breath of Fire: Grants 1/day (recharge 16+) Flame Breath; close-quarters +8 (1d3 nearby enemies) vs
PD; 3d6+6 damage; recover on a roll of 16+ at the start of any turn after use during the same battle.
- Adventurer Feat: As long as Silver Flame icon relationship is maintained, natural even Flame
Breath hits against demons inflict maximum damage.

Flickering: Can activate this class feature 2/day before rolling Initiative; if Initiative is odd,
-1 to all defenses, if even, +2 to all defenses. When hit, flip the penalty to the bonus or vice
versa.

Master of Flames: Can cast light or spark at-will as a free action. During full-heal
up, may select any one spell from any class of the appropriate level that inflicts fire damage.
Charisma is used for the attack and damage of the spell, and Constitution for any other ability
score referenced.
- Adventurer Feat: Use the adventurer feat for the spell being referenced.

* From Book of Demons. Excerpt available upon request.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 12, 2019

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Reminder: final call for chaarcter sheets is when I go to bed tonight. I'll be making picks tomorrow.

------------------------

[OOC: Can I take it from the text that Xyan is more of an Elementalist than a Demonologist, since demon-summoning is pretty darn verboten on Argonesson?]

"Suuliinyax," Qatriona says, flipping pages. "We don't get many applicants here who grew up in the Vast," she says, with a touch of respect. "Your previous position didn't allow you much opportunity to interact with non-dragons. What made you want to apply for a covert position?" And what makes you think you'd be good at it?, is the unspoken question.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

quote:

Quessikava gives a smug smile.

"Easy. First, the gift will obviously BE a weapon - a proper Thranish traditional blade, blessed over a thousand times to make the greatest weapon the non-dragon races have ever seen, and I wear military parade dress to best present it. So long as I know where the gifts are kept, I am not without a weapon, AND I look fitting with it. As for the murder, well...our job is to make sure that happens, right? So, my goal is to make sure people have a chance TO murder gruesomely. That means I try to distract the rest of the party. That's pretty easy. I mean, I'm a dragon. Being the center of worship and attention comes natural, even if I'm not currently a dragon.

quote:

The dragon gives a disturbed look.

"I chase them down and kill them. Wait, I mean, pummel them? That's...you're not allowed to slay trespassers, right? But surely the lesser people can't be so different from us that thievery is simply allowable!

quote:

"If the youngling can't keep itself alive, I don't see why...wait, no, that's dragon thoughts, right? The others are more sentimental for their young. I have to care about it. Ok, well, I don't pull the lever, because first, if four or five humans can't get out of a carriage that's really on them, isn't it? And second, they're...humans."

She gives a roll of the eyes.

"Honestly, if they're just sitting in a carriage getting run over, they aren't exactly doing much with their lives, are they? And again, they're humans. That's only what, 40 years gone between all of them? Maybe? At least the goblin child has the chance to grow older and become the sort of person who doesn't just let a train run them over. Plus, I don't think goblins have dragonmarks? That's just good sense, not letting themselves get all tangled up with our prophecy.

quote:

There's a glint in her eyes.

"Before anything, I take her to the train tracks, and then I brag about saving the goblin child's life. See! Hah! Diplomacy is easy!"

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 13, 2019

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

"Suuliinyax," Qatriona says, flipping pages. "We don't get many applicants here who grew up in the Vast," she says, with a touch of respect. "Your previous position didn't allow you much opportunity to interact with non-dragons. What made you want to apply for a covert position?" And what makes you think you'd be good at it?, is the unspoken question.

"I didn't set them on fire.", Suulii says. "Oh, um. Usually that's- adventurers show up now and then wanting to look around in the ruins around the Crater, and we're supposed to set them on fire, but... well, the Chamber, see, they send a representative, but the newest guardian for the ruins started marking his territory against the *outside*, and the older wyrms didn't want to cause a fuss because they didn't care, but I talked to the local tribes every now and then and like he- well- Winterhammer's people were-"

She finally takes a breath, a puff of smoke as she tries to compose herself.

"Long story. It's not like that. There are tribes around the Vast, adventurers sometimes. I helped some shorties from overseas deal with a blue elder that'd turned tail and horns on the Chamber... and there, he had created an abomination of Khyber's Daughter with demonic help and imprisoned a silver, Sur'kil. I helped them find their way around without showing a scale, and Sur'kil saw how I'd helped and recommended that maybe I belonged here and not there. He said most of our sort would never had been so subtle."

Cocking her head, she gives a sly grin, though her teeth show after a moment, kind of breaking the effect. It's probably not worth mentioning she just figured she'd be in trouble otherwise.

"Anyway, there's not much room for new territories in the vast, it's all greyscale schemes. Better to be with some smalls for a bit and see the world, and the Vast is just a shell, right? It's where you go to lair, not to fly."

"Hire an adventurer!", Suulii says with confidence, before realizing. "Wait, no, I don't have any money. Wellll then you tell them you'll pay them, and then, like, if they can get your money back, you give them their fair pay. And if they can't manage it, they don't deserve the money!" She looks upward slightly in thought, apparently convinced on this. "Or you just chase the small one, how fast are they with those legs? Though I'd have the same legs... still, that's first. Chase, hunt, and if you don't get your purse, get a better hunter. Maybe, if it was fun, you let them keep a coin!" She laughs. "Not really. Even they don't do anything that strange!"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

All right, this was really hard but I made my choices.

pre:
Elena Drosin 			the Humakti	– played by ProfessorCirno
Robin Treadwell 		the Rog/Wiz	– played by BallisticClipboard
Xaniphae Nightblossom		the Necro	– played by Antivehicular
Tanak				the Stalwart	– played by Ryuujin
Jynx 				the Ranger 	– played by Dawgstar
Thea of Cyre  			the Bard 	– played by Capfalcon
Sorry to everyone who didn’t get in, I had so many really good apps. I wish I could pick them all but I know my limits, and this is as many people as i can handle.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

For the next step, before we get started, I'm going to need you to do a few things.

1. Roll 1d12 and tell me the results.
2. Tell me what kind of weapon/implement your character prefers to use (axes, wands, staves, unarmed, etc), and what kind of armor they wear and if they use a shield. This is a flavor thing in 13th age, but I'd like to match items to characters for style.
3. Vote on a patron dragon.

The Society for the Prevention of the Cessation of Existence is made up of three dragons. This makes it on the smaller side of the internal cliques in the Chamber, but not by much; dragons just don’t work together all that often, especially as they get older. Each of the three dragons runs their own personal network of agents, which coordinate to a certain extent largely because Qatriona volunteers to go the extra mile to organize things. Because you’re PCs, you get to vote for which dragon is the one that gives you your missions and rewards:

*Lady Zalmasybelphon, a brilliant, if absent-minded, silver scholar of the Draconic prophecy.

*General Kirtzrizel, a retired red war-horse from the Light of Siberys; honorable but stuck in his ways

*Lord Sketheksys, a mysteeeeeeeerious black that rarely appears in public, preferring to speak through a collection of spoooooooky minions.

4. Tell me one true fact about one of your patron dragons. It doesn’t have to be the same one you voted for. It can be anything, and once you say it, it's true.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A mighty 2.

2. Tell me what kind of weapon/implement your character prefers to use (axes, wands, staves, unarmed, etc), and what kind of armor they wear and if they use a shield. This is a flavor thing in 13th age, but I'd like to match items to characters for style.[quote]

A pair of short swords, no shield, leather armor.

The Society for the Prevention of the Cessation of Existence is made up of three dragons. This makes it on the smaller side of the internal cliques in the Chamber, but not by much; dragons just don’t work together all that often, especially as they get older. Each of the three dragons runs their own personal network of agents, which coordinate to a certain extent largely because Qatriona volunteers to go the extra mile to organize things. Because you’re PCs, you get to vote for which dragon is the one that gives you your missions and rewards:

*Lady Zalmasybelphon, a brilliant, if absent-minded, silver scholar of the Draconic prophecy.

A vote for Lady Z.

4. Tell me one true fact about one of your patron dragons. It doesn’t have to be the same one you voted for. It can be anything, and once you say it, it's true.

It doesn't get talked about a lot due to its vaguely scandalous nature, but one of Zalmasybelphon's children is a half-dragon. Human, maybe elf (it's hard to tell under the scales and frills), and they work for Zalmasybelphon off-continent sometimes on parts of the Prophecy for their mom - and it's rumored it's on parts that only Zal and a handful of other know exist.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

At work and can't post a ton right now, but my d12 roll in Discord was an 8.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

For the next step, before we get started, I'm going to need you to do a few things.

2. Tell me what kind of weapon/implement your character prefers to use (axes, wands, staves, unarmed, etc), and what kind of armor they wear and if they use a shield. This is a flavor thing in 13th age, but I'd like to match items to characters for style.

*General Kirtzrizel, a retired red war-horse from the Light of Siberys; honorable but stuck in his ways

*Lord Sketheksys, a mysteeeeeeeerious black that rarely appears in public, preferring to speak through a collection of spoooooooky minions.

1. Rolled a 1.
2. Tanak will use a lot of Greatswords and Greataxes, massive ones too big for most "medium" creatures to lift. Though he tends to throw them a lot. He also does a lot of fighting with his "fists" grabbing enemies and crushing them in his grip, and eventually even use grabbed enemies as weapons. He does not bother with armor, nor does he use a shield.
3. Voting for Zalmasybelphon.
4. Lord Sketheksys once went through a phase of taking on humanoid forms and going out into the wider world to interact with humans, elves, and the such. This wouldn't be so scandalous if not for how the forms were designed. His forms were attired in frilly white outfits, were outgoing and sociable, and in all likelihood viewed as rather attractive. All things that don't fit the image of Lord Sketheksys now. Of course as he grew older, more powerful, and grew out of the phase, becoming "spooky" and "mysterious" as some would put it a concerted effort was made to squash any truth or rumors about such a phase. Few now either know, or remember, the phase and bringing it up in the presence of Lord Sketheksys, or his spooky minions, may not be advisable.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Longsword, leather armor, and a lyre.

Igudyrth is very much about the spooky aesthetic.

Lord Sketheksys has just enough of a horde to be respectable as a dragon of his age, but he really prefers to collect important corpses that he preserves as his own little bits of history. Once preserved, he enchants them to explain who they were and why they're important in exhaustive detail.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

quote:

4, for death!

quote:

Proper greatsword, forged of glorious Thranish steel, blessed over a thousand times! Fantasy-esque plate armor (minus the helm), and while the human Elena could use a shield, the dragon Quessikava feels too invincible in general to bother. She also carries a longbow, but has almost no skill whatsoever in using it.

quote:

Quessikava would want General Kirtzrizel, but alas, ProfessorCirno votes for Lord Sketheksys.

quote:

When General Kirtzrizel isn't doing his job, he's a bit of a big game hunter - and when you're a dragon, that's some pretty loving big game. He's the source of some of the more rare and dangerous beasts in the Vast, and loves to go on occasional collecting sprees. He'd be beloved by the druids as one of Eberron's greatest preservers of rare and endangered animals, if so many of them weren't so terrifying, destructive, and/or fiendishly evil. He's even known to keep the occasional monstrosity as a pet, finding their attempts to horribly mangle him adorable.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

8, as mentioned above, but may as well consolidate this into one post!

quote:

Xaniphae's preferred melee weapon, when she's called upon to fight in melee (ideally rarely), is a heavy cudgel she also uses as a walking stick. She also carries daggers, of course -- plain but, um, stained -- and favors robes in various dark shades of red, brown, and grey-black. Armor? Why would she be wearing armor?

quote:

Going to throw my vote in for Lord Sketheksys, because LET'S GO TO SCARYTOWN

quote:

On the subject of odd hoards... Lady Zalmasybelphon seems to have a fascination with Khorvaire technology. Some of that's perfectly sensible -- the mortals are doing some fascinating things with their lightning rails and their artificial soldiers and whatnot -- but it seems like the smaller and sillier it is, the more she cares for it. Music boxes and tin toys she hasn't seen before are surefire ways to buy her favor.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

quote:

I got 1 (one). Which I hope is good.

quote:

Robin uses daggers and throwing knives for melee and has his lucky stage dirk he uses as a wand. His armor on the other hand is very simple, dime-a-dozen, leather armor with no shield. He likes to dress up but money is sort of tight and he'd prefer not to ruin a cute outfit with mud and blood.

quote:

I've interned for Lady Zalmasybelphon before. It was strange but it was one of the few internships I actually enjoyed.

quote:

Lord Sketheksys isn't real. I mean, there's a black dragon that appears in public but he's just an actor. It's actually a bunch of humanoid diplomats working under that name.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

The home of the SPCE is in the Lattice Mountains, a series of small peaks so honeycombed with weirs and dragon warrens that they’re more air than stone at this point. It gives their interiors a pleasingly organic effect, almost like coral, but it makes it difficult for non-flyers to make their way around. Each of you receives a summons from lord Sketheksys, carefully painted in calligraphy on extremely soft vellum in archaic dialect of Draconic summoning you to a meeting in Lord Sketh’s chambers. His lair is located underground, at the base of a subterranean lake deep beneath the mountain. There you are met by a tall figure wearing a featureless steel mask dressed in elaborate but somber black and burgundy evening wear. You’ve seen this person before; they go by the title “Voice of Sketheksys”.

“Greetings!” the voice says. “In recognition of the good and faithful service you have done him in the past, the Lord Sketheksys requests your aid in this current time of crisis. Our wise and clever Lord, in his boundless curiosity, has discovered a previously unforeseen threat, not just to Argonesson, but to the entire world. Already his minions toil without pause to locate the source of this danger, and when they do, he wishes you to seek it out and tame it.”

The Voice gestures behind him, to the lake’s black surface. The surface of the water ripples and shakes as robed and masked black figures emerge from it, walking straight up out of the lake as if from an underground staircase. They slosh and drip up onto the stone shore, each of them clutching a bundle which they hand to the Voice, and which he then hands to you.

“Lord Sketheksys would never send you out into the barbarian wilderness without aid, of course,” he says. He plucks up a package wrapped in mildewy oilcloth and hands it to one of you. “This is a Whisperstone. Three times a day, you can hold it to your lips and whisper a message of not more than twenty five words, and will wind its way back to the ears of Lord Sketheksys almost instantly. Use it to keep him apprised of events.”

A short robed figure lifts a wooden box over its head. The Voice takes it and hands it to “Tanak”. “Lord Sketheksys ripped this from the corpse of a battle-mad Seren Barbarian. May its thirst for vengeance help you on your mission.”

quote:

Armor of Vengeance: (recharge 11+) This collection of pale gray leather straps technically counts as light armor. After an enemy hits you with an attack, you may activate this armor. Use the same die result they used to attack you the next time you attack them. If the attack drops them, this item automatically recharges at the end of battle.
This armor grants +1 AC.

The Voice picks up another package and hands it to “Robin”. “This came to Lord Sketheksys’s hoard from a foreign admirer. It should fit you better than it fit him.”

quote:

Dress-Shirt of Contingencies (recharge 11+): This courtly clothing has ribbons that animate to pass you objects that you have previously concealed within its voluminous skirts or sleeves. Once per battle, take a free non-attack standard action, move action, or quick action that involves your equipment (reload a heavy crossbow, draw a weapon, drink a potion, etc.). You can’t use the action to move anywhere, only manipulate equipment.
This armor grants +1 AC.

The next item isn’t wrapped; it’s a black hat. Actually, it looks very much like the hat that the Voice is wearing, and he cleans a little bit of lake slime off the brim before handing it to “Xaniphae”. “You’ll look good in this,” he assures her.

quote:

Wizard’s Hat of Conjuration: Once per day, you can pull a useful non-magical common item out of this hat. The item must be able to fit through the brim of the hat, so you couldn’t pull out a siege engine or a horse. You could, though, produce a sword, or length of chain, or a saw, or a delicate vase decorated with salacious paintings of frolicking kobolds. The hat can also produce small living creatures, like rabbits or cats or doves or maybe even the aforementioned frolicking kobolds. It can also produce a seemingly endless number of totally non-useful objects.
This item gives +1 to Mental Defense

“Lady Zalmasybelphon invented these,” the Voice says as he hands them to Thea, without bothering to explain why Lord Sketheksys has them. “I apologize if they’re a bit scuffed; some of the minions were playing with them yesterday.”

quote:

Hover-shoes: {move action -at-will} at a command, the soles of these shoes levitate 3-6 inches off the ground, or other surface. They allow their owner to cross water or quicksand, but the repulsion effect isn’t strong enough to halt or slow a fall. Through careful practice, an owner can use these to skim along the ground as fast as they can normally move, as if skating on ice.
These shoes grant +1 to checks to disengage from a foe.

“This came from a looter that tried to invade one of our agent’s lairs in Xendrik,” the Voice explains to Jynx. “I’ll admit, I have no idea where it originated.”

quote:

Belt of Eyes: (1/battle) The buckle on this belt is an elaborate clockwork eye. At the start of battle the Eye detaches (it has tiny insect wings) and floats around you, seeking out foes. When you use the power, you gain a +1 bonus to attacks against an enemy that the Eye can see for your next attack. If you miss with that attack, the power isn’t expended.
This item grants +1 to your number of recoveries per day.

The smallest robed minion lugs a very heavy, clanking bundle out of the lake and pushes it towards the Voice with a stick. “This,” the Voice says with obvious distaste, “we found in the back of a cellar. Please take it away.” He shoves it towards towards Elena with the tip of his patent leather shoe.

quote:

Unstable Flametouched Greatsword (recharge 11+): Forged from blessed flametouched iron gathered in Thrane, this blade is exceptionally shiny, but during the process of forging it cracked slightly. At the start of combat, roll 1d4. When the escalation die equals the value rolled, the sword bursts into flame, dealing +2d10 fire damage on a successful hit during that round. This blade counts as silvered when used against lycanthropes or creatures harmed by silvered weapons.
This weapon grants +1 to attacks and damage.

The Voice also has arranged for backpacks, containing normal adventurer gear (torches, ropes, etc), as well as water and wineskins and travel rations made of weird, unidentified jerky, and a small coin-pouch for each of you containing 150gp of Khorvairan currency (although some of it looks extremely old) and your choice of a healing potion or weapon oil each. All of it is dripping wet from its travel through the lake. Out of an oil-cloth wrapped scroll case he takes a selection of papers and hands them out; these are travel papers declaring you to be real, legal citizens of one of the nations of Khorvaire.

"Are we ready?" he claps his hands. "We look ready!"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Game Thread here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

This is a variant Icon Roll rule i found which I kind of like. It's one a 13th age website which is gone now bust still accessible by the Wayback Machine.

quote:

I've been DMing 13th Age since the first public playtest, but I had some problems making the icon relationship rolls work as by the book. Some issues that we faced:

* Players were disappointed when all their Icon rolls failed for the session

* Rolling them all at the session gives the DM a bucket list, but it's hard to bring them all up in the session (especially if you have seven players, like me)

So I made a few changes. First of all, give results 1 to 4 a meaning. Second, stop rolling them at the start of the session. Instead, players call for an Icon relationship roll when they think they need help. To stop players from just relying on the icons to get them out of whatever trouble they are in, 1 and 2 will usually cause even more trouble - but still drive the story.

Here is the table. Roll d6 as usual.

(6) Support - The Icon chooses to tilt fate in the PC's favor, usually through one of its supporters. Support can be in the form of a gift, allies in combat, a political favor, a mystical ability, a sudden turn of events and similar.

(5) Favor with strings attached - As above, but with consequences. The favor works to the icon's benefit, but not necessarily the PC. There could be betrayal, new enemies, material loss, a new obstacle, or a debt to be paid.

(4) Information - The Icon does not interfere directly, but the hero is presented with the chance to gain information. This could be an NPC contact, access to a library, a map, a vision, evidence to a crime... The information may be a half-truth or an outright lie, especially if the Icon is hostile.

(3) Trial - The party is presented with a challenge. Examples include combat, a tussle of words, a puzzle, a riddle or a quest. The PC can win a favor, depending on whether he or she succeeds.

(2) Conflict - Two forces are struggling, and the PC is caught in between and has to take sides. This could be a direct attack, like a mob of dragon cultists, an assassination attempt or multi-layered political scheming. In any case, this is more likely to make the PC's situation worse, even if they are on the winning side.

(1) Request - Instead of helping the PC, the Icon (or its enemies) request a favor from their side for continued support. The PC can choose to decline, but he or she will lose the relationship die permanently. If the PC chooses to do the opposite, it can change the relationship from friendly to hostile, or vice versa.

Players can call an Icon relationship roll at any time during the session.

Icon rolls are resolved as soon as possible within the limits of the story. While one icon roll is being resolved, no other rolls can be called (DM may grant an exception). The DM can allow the party to roll up to three relationship dice in one go, including for different icons by different PCs. These rolls are then resolved together.

Once relationship die is rolled, it is gone for the session and regained in the next one.

As another, even simpler, variant, you could "burn" an icon die to reroll an interaction skill check with a person or group aligned positively or negatively with the appropriate icon.