Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Literally the first ghost in Ghostbusters is an example. Well, aside from the cleaning part. I'm thinking she just wanted to read.

This is the part where I confess I haven't seen ghostbusters in over 20 years except for pop culture references and the occasional clip on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

This is the part where I confess I haven't seen ghostbusters in over 20 years except for pop culture references and the occasional clip on youtube.

Busted!

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Busting makes me feel good

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Always wanted to gently caress a ghost

Bustin' a nut makes me feel goood

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Literally the first ghost in Ghostbusters is an example. Well, aside from the cleaning part. I'm thinking she just wanted to read.

Then how do you explain the inhumanly stacked books and cum all over the library basement? She's one gross ghost that gotta go downtown to jail and be incarcerated without trial.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mooey Cow posted:

Then how do you explain the inhumanly stacked books and cum all over the library basement? She's one gross ghost that gotta go downtown to jail and be incarcerated without trial.

I said aside from the cleaning part :shrug:

Maybe ghosts are like pets?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Is slimer, especially in the cartoon, "one of the good ones"? These are the hard hitting questions we must ask.

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

Was slimer an actual guy who died and if so what sorta fuckin guy?

Further, if you die and come back as some sort of abstract representation of your soul or whatever then what cruel torture. What a tremendous bummer to come back and find out that you're a ghost called Bummer and your only drive and capacity is to suck the air out of a room.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
his name is onionhead

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Doctor Baby posted:

Further, if you die and come back as some sort of abstract representation of your soul or whatever then what cruel torture. What a tremendous bummer to come back and find out that you're a ghost called Bummer and your only drive and capacity is to suck the air out of a room.

In that Max Landis script that was 'leaked' (or intentionally posted online, I don't remember), he was a slovenly, gluttonous mobster back in the 20s, was killed, and buried in cement at a construction site of what would eventually become the Sedgewick hotel. All of this was meant to happen in the film pre-title card.

That's the only thing I remember from the script, but I liked it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Doctor Baby posted:

A standard ordinary American.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Mooey Cow posted:

SMH they did a whole scene with Ray explaining where the ghosts get the cum

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

In that Max Landis script that was 'leaked' (or intentionally posted online, I don't remember), he was a slovenly, gluttonous mobster back in the 20s, was killed, and buried in cement at a construction site of what would eventually become the Sedgewick hotel. All of this was meant to happen in the film pre-title card.

Okay cool if it's a punishment thing then that's all right I guess.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Cage Kicker posted:

Can't believe they're letting that cum stealing old lady ghost smear jizz all over the library. They should have gone back there first thing when they set up shop instead of waiting for Slimer to call.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Doctor Baby posted:

A goon, obviously.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

This is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 11, 2019

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Ghosts seem to be expressions of mental states, not complete human beings that they once were. We may have no choice but to contain them.

Except the dick sucking ones, I don’t see much harm in letting them roam around

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Sounds to me like a ghost is just a person's ID without their higher brain functions to keep them in check.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Doctor Baby posted:

I heard a rumor that they referred to the puppet on-set as "The Ghost of John Belushi", so I guess that kind of guy?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Obsidianheart posted:

I heard a rumor that they referred to the puppet on-set as "The Ghost of John Belushi", so I guess that kind of guy?

Not just a rumour, that's exactly what they referred to him by.

So yeah, Slimer is the general, basic personality of Belushi, floating around as a non-repeating class 5 full-roaming vapor.

Real nasty one, too.

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

So if a ghost is like a mental imprint running around doing whatever your baser instincts in life were, is there a continuity of consciousness or is it a completely transformed or replicated state? That changes the afterlife implication question pretty drastically.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Baby posted:

So if a ghost is like a mental imprint running around doing whatever your baser instincts in life were, is there a continuity of consciousness or is it a completely transformed or replicated state? That changes the afterlife implication question pretty drastically.

If you took enough drugs to have no memory but still felt cool in the moment and you were dancing around all the time without getting tired, that’s what death is p much. It’s purely aerobic without a deoxy process slowing time.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Doctor Baby posted:

No... Ghost is just the normality, and "normal people" are ghost perverts possessing meat and bone golems which is frankly disgusting and ought to be stopped.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

So if every person has a skeleton in their body waiting to join the bone army is there a ghost in every skeleton?

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

If you took enough drugs to have no memory but still felt cool in the moment and you were dancing around all the time without getting tired, that’s what death is p much. It’s purely aerobic without a deoxy process slowing time.
This seems pretty cool

Colonel Cancer posted:

No... Ghost is just the normality, and "normal people" are ghost perverts possessing meat and bone golems which is frankly disgusting and ought to be stopped.
Tbh this makes the most sense and comes closer to answering biological aspects of the question like how gut health impacts psychological state and what that means for the idea of a self without a body. The ghost is the spark of consciousness that's then lensed and shaped through a series of physical apparatus. A collaborative effort with billions of micro-organisms to create one extremely sophisticated piece of poo poo.

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

So if every person has a skeleton in their body waiting to join the bone army is there a ghost in every skeleton?

Skeletons and ghosts are separate cohabitants. As the saying goes, bones are on loan.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Doctor Baby posted:

These are some of the important issues that the movie sadly fails to tackle. Can a ghost be taught? Are they self aware? Are they able to change their behavior?

Is the ghost train a ghost of a person or a train?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Cage Kicker posted:

So what do ghost researchers find when they take some ghost jizz back to the lab and run a culture on it, does ghost bacteria grow? Can I get syphilis from a ghost?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

a mysterious cloak posted:

So what do ghost researchers find when they take some ghost jizz back to the lab and run a culture on it, does ghost bacteria grow? Can I get syphilis from a ghost?

More like goonorrhea

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

a mysterious cloak posted:

Actually ghost jizz, like regular jizz, is sterile and totally safe to consume even in mass quantities.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The Management posted:

Ghosts seem to be expressions of mental states, not complete human beings that they once were. We may have no choice but to contain them.

Except the dick sucking ones, I don’t see much harm in letting them roam around

Ghosts are sensory or psychic impressions left in the spectral substrate (ectoplasm, in its raw form). Ectoplasm itself is not conscious or sentient, however consciousness leaves a mark on it, in some cases so strongly that the ectoplasm seemingly records and repeats it in some form. Slimer, found occupying a dining hall, is the accumulation of gluttonous thoughts from the many hungry people that have passed through there over the years. He is like an algal bloom that grows from people flushing their sewege into a river.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Moon Atari posted:

Slimer, found occupying a dining hall, is the accumulation of gluttonous thoughts from the many hungry people that have passed through there over the years.
Nah, he's just in there eating because they couldn't show him doing rails of coke in the ballroom dressing room and keep the PG rating.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Moon Atari posted:

Ghosts are sensory or psychic impressions left in the spectral substrate (ectoplasm, in its raw form). Ectoplasm itself is not conscious or sentient, however consciousness leaves a mark on it, in some cases so strongly that the ectoplasm seemingly records and repeats it in some form. Slimer, found occupying a dining hall, is the accumulation of gluttonous thoughts from the many hungry people that have passed through there over the years. He is like an algal bloom that grows from people flushing their sewege into a river.

Replace ectoplasm with dark matter and this is how it works in real life. It's what the shadow people really are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If shadow people are dark matter how can we see them :smuggo: