Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Digital Jedi posted:

I'll update the rest of my sheet this weekend. Still a few things to add

Its mainly updated. I added nominations onto the form I mafe so all they need is relevant links on your spreadsheet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:frogsiren:

Nominations will be finalized and closed to prep for voting in 24 hours time.

Get your last minute 2020 nominations in now.

:frogsiren:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:frogsiren::frogsiren:VOTING BEGINS AS OF THIS POST AND WILL END ON JANUARY 16TH, 2021 JUST BEFORE THE HOLLOWAY VS. KATTAR CARD:frogsiren::frogsiren:

Nominations Form (compiled by Digital Jedi) - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yTtefqxmMNpH6eaLnwqYpNiLFDjKkTqBWxhTvK_FBm4/edit?usp=sharing

Voting Form (created by LobsterMobster) - https://forms.gle/Vc5gjoJRw8nAz5k16

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 12, 2021

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Who are folks thinking for Fighter of the Year?

Davey Figgs went 3-0-1, 1 TKO, 2 subs, won and defended UFC flyweight title

Jan Blachowicz went 2-0, 2 TKO, won UFC light heavyweight title

Kevin Holland went 5-0, 4 TKO, all starting in May

I don't really think there's anyone out of Rizin that had a spectacular year. If Kai Asakura had beat Kyoji again, I'd 100% put him for consideration.

Maybe Tenshin and Ayaka Hamasaki?

Bellator didn't really have anyone of note do a lot of fighting/winning. Same with Invicta. Did One have anybody doing a lot?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I didn't spend too long thinking about it but I put Khabib on top even though he had only one win, it was the biggest fight of the year, and the biggest win and story of the year with his dad's death and his retirement get considered. I can't weigh total number of fights too heavily in a pandemic year.

After that I went Figgy and Kevin Holland.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
These are your final days to vote

Nominations Form (compiled by Digital Jedi) - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yTtefqxmMNpH6eaLnwqYpNiLFDjKkTqBWxhTvK_FBm4/edit?usp=sharing

Voting Form (created by LobsterMobster) - https://forms.gle/Vc5gjoJRw8nAz5k16

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
ive done a vote

you should do a vote too

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The votes are in and are tabulated. Please enjoy what we, the community of Goons who watch MMA have decided were the highlights and lowlights of 2020.

The Best

Fighter of the Year
1 - Deiveson Figueiredo
2 - Kevin Holland
3 - Jan Blachowicz

Favorite Fighter of the Year
1 - Dustin Poirier
2 - Deiveson Figueiredo/Justin Gaethje
3 - Kevin Holland/Amanda Nunes/Joaquin Buckley/AJ McKee

Fight of the Year
1 - Weilei Zhang vs Joanna Jedrezjczyk
2 - Deiveson Figueiredo vs Brandon Moreno
3 - Tony Ferguson vs Justin Gaethje

Weight Division of the Year
1 - Men's Lightweight
2 - Men's Flyweight
3 - Women's Strawweight

Best Major Show of the Year
1 - UFC 249
2 - UFC 256
3 - UFC Fight Night: Woodley vs Covington

Performance of the Year
1 - Justin Gaethje vs Tony Ferguson
2 - Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Justin Gaethje
3 - Israel Adesanya vs Paulo Costa

Round of the Year
1 - Deiveson Figueiredo vs Brandon Moreno, R5
2 - Brandon Royval vs Kai Kara-France, R1
3 - Justin Gaethje vs Tony Ferguson, R4

KO of the Year
1 - Joaquin Buckley
2 - Beneil Dariush
3 - Alex Pereira

Sub of the Year
1 - AJ Mckee (neck crank on Darrion Caldwell)
2 - Jack Hermansson (heelhook on Kelvin Gastelum)
3 - Jimmy Flick (flying triangle on Cody Durden)

Breakout Fighter of the Year
1 - Kevin Holland
2 - Joaquin Buckley
3 - Deiveson Figueiredo

Most Improved Fighter of the Year
1 - Jan Blachowicz
2 - Deiveson Figueiredo
3 - Brandon Moreno

Upset of the Year
1 - Roxanne Modafferi def. Maycee Barber
2 - Jan Blachowicz def. Dominick Reyes
3 - Marlon Vera def. Sean O'Malley

Comeback of the Year
1 - Derrick Lewis vs Alexei Oleinyk
2 - Alexander Volkanovski vs Max Holloway
3 - Deiveson Figueiredo vs Brandon Moreno

The Worst of the Year

Worst Fight of the Year
1 - Tyron Woodley vs Colby Covington
2 - Amanda Nunes vs Felicia Spencer/Yana Kunitskaya vs Julija Stoliarenko

Worst Major Show of the Year
1 - Bellator 237
2 - UFC 249 (the lead up to it)
3 - Bellator: Cyborg vs Blencoe

Foul of the Year
1 - Raymond Daniels, spinning backick to opponents groin
2 - Shawn West, illegal knee to Boston Salmon
3 - Deiveson Figueiredo, dick kick on Brandon Moreno

Worst Refereeing Incompetence of the Year
1 - Jason Herzog, not stopping the Smith vs Texeira fight sooner & role in the Daniels/Stanonik DQ
2 - Kerry Hatley, letting Vadim Nemkov beat on Ryan Bader for a prolonged period
3 - Chris Tognoni, body of work

Worst Judging Incompetence of the Year
1 - Nunes vs Spencer not having more than one round scored a 10-8
2 - Chris Lee, scoring the Felder/RDA fight in Felder's favor
3 - Joe Soliz, scoring the Martinez vs Ewell fight 30-27 for Ewell, and scoring Jones vs Reyes 49-46 for Jones

Worst Coach Gameplan of the Year
1 - Letting Maycee Barber continue to fight despite clearly having a damaged knee
2 - Anthony Smith's corner collecting his knocked out teeth and letting him keep fighting vs Glover Texeira
3 - Trevor Wittman telling Justin Gaethje he is 8 low kicks away from breaking Khabib Nurmagomedov

Worst Booking Decision of the Year
1 - Tyron Woodley vs Colby Covington being booked years after it was relevant or worthwhile
2 - Cynthia Calvillo vs Jessica Eye being a main event/Bellator booking Quinton Rampage Jackson vs Fedor Emelianenko/UFC (& later others) putting on events during a pandemic
3 - Taking Alex Perez out of fight with Brandon Moreno to book him versus Deiveson Figueiredo while Moreno was healthy and ready to fight/Booking fights for Greg Hardy/Booking Amanda Nunes vs Felicia Spencer/Booking Shogun vs Lil Nog 3 in 2020

Dumbest Career Move of the Year
1 - Jon Jones doing a lot of dumb stuff (breaking quarantine, aligning with a right wing militia, etc.)
2 - Alexander Gustafsson moving to Heavyweight
3 - Mike Perry doing lots of dumb stuff with video evidence/Nick Diaz teasing a return the whole year

Best Post-Fight Interview of the Year
1 - Wallid Ismail speaking on behalf of Deiveson Figueiredo
2 - Israel Adesanya's whole commentary and remarks after beating Paulo Costa
3 - Amanda Nunes saying "she tried" after beating up Felicia Spencer

Worst Attempt at Hype of the Year
1 - UFC focusing on Aniah Blanchard's murder in an attempt to promote Walt Harris' upcoming fight
2 - Fight Island, the buildup & secrecy that led to "it's just in Abu Dhabi"
3 - Aljamain Sterling saying he is coming in and around for Petr Yan's rear end

Most Overhyped/Underperformed Fight (or Fighter) of the Year
1 - Dominick Reyes
2 - Jorge Masvidal vs Kamaru Usman
3 - Justin Gaethje's wrestling/Edmen Shahbazyan

The Comedy of 2020

Best Trash Talk of the Year
1 - "If I wanted a black belt I'd wrap my dick around my waist" - Israel Adesanya (after KO'ng Paolo Costa)
2 - "Wipe your booger" - Kevin Holland (prior to KO'ng Joaquin Buckley)
3 - "Listen to Bisping" - Dustin Poirier (mid-fight to Dan Hooker)

Best Comedic Moment in MMA of the Year
1 - Tara La Rosa's whole 2020, losing her home in a trailer fire, aligning with the Proud Boys organization then later getting kicked out for attempting to form a female version called Proud Girls
2 - Bethe Correia mistaking the 10 second warning clapper for the round bell
3 - Chase Hooper pranking Jorge Masvidal by making him think Ben Askren was Hooper's dad.

Greatest Schadenfreude of the Year
1 - Tara La Rosa getting kicked out of the Proud Boys for attempting to form an all female wing
2 - Sean O'Malley refusing to accept he lost to Marlon Vera
3 - Ion Cutelaba being over the top at weigh-ins, faking being hurt versus Magomed Ankalaev, then losing in the rematch

Greatest Social Media Presence of the Year
1 - Angela Hill
2 - Luis "Violent Bob Ross" Pena
3 - @BorrachinaDepot on Twitter for their chronicling of Tito Ortiz's interviews/public appearances

Predictions for MMA in 2021
"Either the Fitch/Le lawsuit finally enters a courtroom, or some enterprising Dem in Congress slips the Ali Extension Act or similar into a bill for gently caress Trump points" - Troy Queef

"Jon Jones and or Conor McGregor and or Mike Perry face serious legal consequences for their actions and the UFC responds in kind by issuing a statement of disapproval" - LobsterMobster

"More fighters are going to be economically manipulated and abused by Dana/UFC officials and still won't unionize." - Mekchu

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The thread will remain open for another 24 hours and then I'll close it to make the Best & Worst of 2021 thread

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mekchu posted:

The thread will remain open for another 24 hours and then I'll close it to make the Best & Worst of 2021 thread

This was a loving great year for fights. There were shitloads of amazing ones that didn't even get nominated, and I can't complain at all about the ones that did. It was just a good year.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I need to evaluate the timelines, but I think each of our selection for Fighter of the Year has at most 2 years past that point before they lose the belt they won that earned them the award

Izzy should be coming up on his dethroning moment soon (Always bet on Blach)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mekchu posted:

Fight of the Year
1 - Weilei Zhang vs Joanna Jedrezjczyk

So glad this deservedly won, but also holy gently caress that was in 2020? It feels like forever ago.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Jerusalem posted:

So glad this deservedly won, but also holy gently caress that was in 2020? It feels like forever ago.

Twas the last fight I watched in person with goonfriends :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am unfortunately going to be too busy to set up a 2021 Best & Worst of thread. If someone can do that that'd be cool.