Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Finished up latest chapter. FedEx was my clear MVP. He really enjoyed the constant parade of swarms to keep his S3 cycling fast and his HP topped up. Typhon S2 was clutch for helping ignore/murder the units with taunt mechanics with split shot. The stages were an interesting mix of challenges without too much bullshit. I didn't need to rely on any loaned operators or guides which felt pretty good.

I stuck to a 10 pull because I've just barely got enough to spark for Texalter on Virt's banner, got Kafka for my trouble. Will have to catch big H another time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Going back to clean up some IS3 stuff and it's making me appreciate IS4 all the more. The push & pull of the anti-interference system is so much more elegant than dice and keys, and MAN I miss foldartals.

Really hope they stick around for IS5. But the next big upcoming permanent mode is something different, right? Like it's got base building or something?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

goferchan posted:

But the next big upcoming permanent mode is something different, right? Like it's got base building or something?

Yeah it's poo poo.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

goferchan posted:

Going back to clean up some IS3 stuff and it's making me appreciate IS4 all the more. The push & pull of the anti-interference system is so much more elegant than dice and keys, and MAN I miss foldartals.

Really hope they stick around for IS5. But the next big upcoming permanent mode is something different, right? Like it's got base building or something?

Yeah, I was really not a fan of Reclamation Algorithm and my understanding is that the permanent is basically the same just with no time crunch so I'm not expecting to like it more.

Mostly I just tremendously disliked the unit stamina/usage limit mechanic because it burned a use of the unit if you brought them along even if you never deployed them which meant you had to be as stingy as possible in setting up your squads. Also the way that a bunch of the attacks heading for your base were designed to be basically unstoppable until they got to your base really burned my rear end. Stuff like the opening wave being eighteen giant shield guys that will hit your defensive line before you have time to deploy more than one, maybe two Vanguards who will instantly be punched to death even while their block count is overwhelmed and you lose the stage.

AMapleWithAName
Aug 16, 2021

You're on a path in the woods.
You could also set up mini bases in those levels to make it easier to fight the invasions, but I agree - the strategy was basically let them walk up to your base and into the giant maze with a death corridor that pretty much everyone built. I am so glad I had Ifrit for that event - she made it so much easier to fight everything off.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Annihilating huge hordes of dudes with Reed was fun but overall that event sucked bigtime. Having to grind food just so you could use your units was such a drag.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I enjoyed the first rendition enough to max out the rewards track and get the first ending. I heard that the permanent version has enough QOL that it's fine-to-enjoyable now at least.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Ibblebibble posted:

I enjoyed the first rendition enough to max out the rewards track and get the first ending. I heard that the permanent version has enough QOL that it's fine-to-enjoyable now at least.

The first ending was fine, yeah.

The other endings were a horrible RNG slog tho.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can someone fill me in on the whole Nightengale thing

I read their part and it's the only thing that I just did not understand. I forgot what was going on there entirely

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can someone fill me in on the whole Nightengale thing

I read their part and it's the only thing that I just did not understand. I forgot what was going on there entirely

This chapter is the first time we've heard much about it, honestly. It seems Nightingale is some kind of experiment made by Shining's family (not sure if she was an ordinary person before or literally made by them like a homunculus), and they were all complicit in doing horrible things to her. At some point Shining started to feel bad about it and ran away with her. It's also implied she erased Nightingale's memories (implied to be out of a selfish wish not to be hated by her) but in the scene there she was getting them back since she remembers Shining's real name. I got the impression that they wanted to use her as a vessel for something, but it's all sort of vague at this point, so the more specific you try to get the more likely it is to be wrong.

Edit: Shining's family is also plotting against Theresis (probably) since they see themselves as the most pure-blooded Sarkaz and therefore they deserve to rule, regardless of who has the crown.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 22, 2024

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I got the impression that Shining's father-brother (huh?) needs Shining to kill him so he can be reborn into Liz's body or something? She was supposed to be an empty vessel, but gained a sense of self and Shining gave her her name? Kind of like the Genomes from Final Fantasy 9?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Confessarius family relations are really weird but the lore is pretty much only in Shining's modules.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Confessarius drama is mostly confusing and also lame. We already got an evil Sarkaz obsessed with blood purity and ancient lineage to encompass all the main villainous attributes of the KMC so the rest can be cooler guys. And the Sanguinarch is just a much cleaner execution of that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Confessarius drama is mostly confusing and also lame. We already got an evil Sarkaz obsessed with blood purity and ancient lineage to encompass all the main villainous attributes of the KMC so the rest can be cooler guys. And the Sanguinarch is just a much cleaner execution of that.

Their trajectories are ever so slightly different. Sang is more "the pureblood Sarkaz as a whole should rule Terra again, doesn't matter who's in charge as long as they Make Kazdel Great Again", while the Confessarius is "our family is the most pureblood of all the Sarkaz so we should be ruling the Sarkaz (and by extension the rest of Terra)".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel the other big difference is Sang loves blood but hates the crown. While Conf loves blood and covets the crown.

Which is probably important to show both because Arknights thoughts on the fantasy memory crown of doom is somewhere in the middle of those two beliefs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Blood is quite nice when it's inside my body, I find myself in agreement with them on that front.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I got the impression that Shining's father-brother (huh?) needs Shining to kill him so he can be reborn into Liz's body or something? She was supposed to be an empty vessel, but gained a sense of self and Shining gave her her name? Kind of like the Genomes from Final Fantasy 9?

The specific relation tangle there sounds like it's just an issue of this rebirth thing. The body of that individual is Shining's brother, but he also at some point had their father rebirthed into it. It is, however, unclear if that means he's an amalgamation of both consciousnesses or if he's just the dad's mind in her brother's body.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPfibK3_B-k

edit:
https://twitter.com/ArknightsEN/status/1782750628168847569
KFC skins confirmed in some form.

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 23, 2024

AMapleWithAName
Aug 16, 2021

You're on a path in the woods.
H stages out and cleared. H13-1 to 3 weren't too much of a problem, but H13-4 was quite tricky - the opening just throws so much stuff at you so fast, you easily get overwhelmed, especially now that the Sanguinarch's mist now targets two units instead of one. Resorted to Kyo's guide for it.

Still not as bad as H12-4. I wonder if the Damazti will ever be dethroned from their title of 'toughest boss'*.

*depending on who you ask

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Managed to do 1 and 2 over my lunch break and I'd say they're appropriately spicy. Timing killing the left-side whip assholes in 2 between resurrection crystal cycles made me feel smart lol

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Damazti cluster was super easy in the Trials For Navigator version. I feel like the boss mechanics aren't that bad, it's mostly the map design.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Finished chapter 9 after I gave in and swapped to story mode to beat 9-19, I’ll go back with a guide later. Definitely found the overall writing a lot snappier than earlier chapters, so I hope the proportion of catwoman lectures vs Scots with lances keeps leaning more towards the action side. Deeefinitely glad I story skipped the reeds event so I didn’t get massively spoiled for whatever’s next.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Absolutely disgusting IS4 clear. Completely smoked the second ending boss -- first attempt on him I had to stall him until the last enemy wave came through, and just barely lost him at the end. This time he was dead before the waves were even halfway done -- I had the "elite operator temporarily joins you in battle" foldartal effect and got the special IS op whose skill gives all casters +40% attack speed, which was insane with Goldenglow's S3. On to difficulty 6 and ending 3... this is my first IS I've actually played at release, what do the expansions typically add? Would not mind some new encounters and collectibles to mix things up a bit in the early game.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

goferchan posted:

Absolutely disgusting IS4 clear. Completely smoked the second ending boss -- first attempt on him I had to stall him until the last enemy wave came through, and just barely lost him at the end. This time he was dead before the waves were even halfway done -- I had the "elite operator temporarily joins you in battle" foldartal effect and got the special IS op whose skill gives all casters +40% attack speed, which was insane with Goldenglow's S3. On to difficulty 6 and ending 3... this is my first IS I've actually played at release, what do the expansions typically add? Would not mind some new encounters and collectibles to mix things up a bit in the early game.

You're on the money: new maps, new collectibles and another ending with another boss is the standard.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 24, 2024

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

IS4 in particular also adds in a harder version of a final boss if you're at BN 12 or above. Ending 1, for example, now slaps every operator on the field with Cold every 5 seconds, ice block hp jumps from 7.5K to 30K, and changes the normal enemies to a bunch of ice spiders and ice bomb drones.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Speaking of harder IS bosses, do the enhanced mid-bosses spawn based on difficulty or is it just random? I somehow never got the enhanced double boss from IS3.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think it's just random with fairly low odds. I did eventually get the double boss rarespawn and I don't think I had the difficulty turned up.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I can confirm that I got all 3 rarespawns constantly, and I only ever played on difficulty 0 after getting the Waves medals.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
I've seen the "harder" version of snowpriest map before the normal one in of my first runs while my first hard blade was diff 14 so yeah its just random. Also I'm the only one who almost always gets the normal injured blade stage as their mid boss? I'm at like 40+ normal blades and 15 everything else combined.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

I got the hard version of the vine boss twice before I ever saw its normal stage and almost-instantly lost both times. Haven't seen it now that I know how to beat that boss.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've only ever seen the vine boss once, I always get shaman or blade instead.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
One day I’ll win a run :argh: i wasn’t built for playing with tactics and I find it a thousand times harder than is3 “bring Texalter, win”.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

coolusername posted:

One day I’ll win a run :argh: i wasn’t built for playing with tactics and I find it a thousand times harder than is3 “bring Texalter, win”.
Bring Typhon and get lucky with relics. Especially that one that makes besiegers do scaling damage and instantly defeat enemies with <20% HP

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 25, 2024

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Reed Alter is also a good pick for IS4. She can clear out pretty much all the ice blocks in the ending 1 boss with a single cast of S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Bring Typhon and get lucky with relics. Especially that one that makes besiegers do scaling damage and instantly defeat enemies with <20% HP

Typhon… good..

Finally killed it thanks to Typhon 1v1ing the boss along with a lucky set of ops to make up for the world’s shittiest relics