Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Sunswipe posted:

"We may have installed a frag grenade in your steering wheel that detonates in the event of a crash. Please drive accordingly."

I dunno, some people are just do-it-yourselfers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

the kentucky quid posted:

I drove a car for five years with no airbag, subframe and my lanky loving rear end would hit the roof every time I hit a pothole. Stop being such a baby OP.

great av/post combo

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

goat manilla posted:

We brought my wife's Honda in 4 or 5 years ago after piles of mail demanding that we do. When I finally made the trek they said, "lmao psych! Yours if fine!"

'06 Civic. Pretty sure whoever has it now still has a grenade airbag. SS this post and use it in your civil suit.

You can go to the NHTSA and look up your VIN to see if it's already been done

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

JK Fresco posted:

You can go to the NHTSA and look up your VIN to see if it's already been done

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Yep. I brought my 05 Corolla to a Toyota dealership and they did it for free.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Lol if your massive folds and impressive girth don't fill the cabin with huge fat filled flesh pillows and the smell of stale Doritos in the event of a crash, cushioning your feeble skeleton within your giant, blob like exterior.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 3, 2020

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

My last car didn't even have airbags- I woulda died in a 20mph collision like in the 1950s, not like in the luxurious modern era where you can slam into something at 70 and still walk away if the claymore mine in your steering wheel doesn't get ya.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
https://youtu.be/IA2EBWFCULg

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

frogge posted:

My last car didn't even have airbags- I woulda died in a 20mph collision like in the 1950s, not like in the luxurious modern era where you can slam into something at 70 and still walk away if the claymore mine in your steering wheel doesn't get ya.

It’s amazing how different your approach to driving is when you are gonna get loving destroyed by any gently caress up by anyone on the road

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

survive? why would I want to do that?!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Wamdoodle posted:

survive? why would I want to do that?!

:hmmyes:

Trade in your car for a motorcycle. Add explosive ordinance if you are hardcore nuff.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Colonel Cancer posted:

:hmmyes:

Trade in your car for a motorcycle. Add explosive ordinance if you are hardcore nuff.

Honestly I ride a motorbike now and I’d chose the bike over my dinky 80s VW hatchback for safety any day. My legs aren’t instantly breaking from my own engine being forced through the firewall during any small impact collision on my bike.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I always thought it was weird my steering wheel had “front toward enemy” printed on it.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Convex posted:

great job takata, really well done :thumbsup:

It’s funny if you imagine it like a cartoon and instead of metal debris that will kill you it is just confetti and glitter that flies out. That’s after it saves you of course.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Gross. Charging his crystals while driving. Smdh.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

We got lucky and have two of the oddball Toyotas that don't use these airbags. I would just try not to get in a wreck in the first place, op.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like how when this specific recall came out there wasn’t a fix for it. So people had to assume this apparent risk for close to 4 years before a replacement was available. “We don’t have a working solution, but we’re going to get a bunch of government money to make one and then start a letter writing and propaganda campaign that shames YOU for being a negligent rear end in a top hat and putting your families life in danger, please, we’re begging you to get the recall so America can sue Japanese manufacturing facilities and demand the insertion of CIA moles as safety inspectors because USDOT literally wants to act as a catalyst for WWIII on the basis of a bogus and unfounded scientific assertion that anyone with a 7th grade comprehension of science should be able to dispel.”

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I like how when this specific recall came out there wasn’t a fix for it. So people had to assume this apparent risk for close to 4 years before a replacement was available. “We don’t have a working solution, but we’re going to get a bunch of government money to make one and then start a letter writing and propaganda campaign that shames YOU for being a negligent rear end in a top hat and putting your families life in danger, please, we’re begging you to get the recall so America can sue Japanese manufacturing facilities and demand the insertion of CIA moles as safety inspectors because USDOT literally wants to act as a catalyst for WWIII on the basis of a bogus and unfounded scientific assertion that anyone with a 7th grade comprehension of science should be able to dispel.”

The best part is actually that when the recall came out, subaru decided to replace all the takata inflators with new takata inflators.

Now they finally have a non-takata replacement, so apparently I have to take my 280,000 mile outback back to the loving dealer to have the new, finally not-a-frag-grenade passenger airbag installed.

I wouldn't be surprised if other people that "already had it done" get the same "oops actually this time we have real replacements" letter I did. Or maybe other mfgs actually did the recall right the first time?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Also, if y'all don't remember this lil takata gem, take a moment to read up:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-takata-blast/truck-carrying-takata-air-bag-materials-explodes-in-texas-killing-one-idUSKCN1140NJ

They had to ID that poor lady by loving dental records.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 3, 2020

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The best part is actually that when the recall came out, subaru decided to replace all the takata inflators with new takata inflators.

Now they finally have a non-takata replacement, so apparently I have to take my 280,000 mile outback back to the loving dealer to have the new, finally not-a-frag-grenade passenger airbag installed.

I wouldn't be surprised if other people that "already had it done" get the same "oops actually this time we have real replacements" letter I did. Or maybe other mfgs actually did the recall right the first time?

Yeah really the whole problem to begin with was just for one person and it was “your tampered with battery post will likely snap in a head on collision and your airbags will not deploy but hey at least you didn’t get shrapnel in you so we kinda were helping out” as 40 cars try to commit insurance fraud when you drive 10 miles down the road by pulling out in front of you or suddenly stopping in the left turn lane with a corner of their car sticking out. They wanted to have a preemptive excuse for a wreck they were planning to cause.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The warehouse had a mix-up and sent exit bags instead of airbags :doh:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if i let them doodle with my passenger airbag in my matrix a year or two ago, do i need to let them do it again? got another notice, but no idea if its a new thing or they just have to send them out forever

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
does that count as dying in action? I demand a soldier's funeral if I get IED'ed in my own car

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Play posted:

does that count as dying in action? I demand a soldier's funeral if I get IED'ed in my own car

You shall ride into Valhalla shiny and chrome

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

There's nothing improvised about that explosive device, it works as intended.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

My favorite part of this so far has been how it comes out in spurts. Like my Acura it was my passenger airbag, then my driver side airbag 6-8 months later. Now my Toyota 4Runner has had the passenger airbag done, and rumor has it my driver's side will fall under this one too.

4th times a charm on death I guess

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Can we just get it over with and add airbag in the preventative maintenance section of the manual. At least then maybe they'll have replacements in stock without having to go through the dealers telephone menu made to frustrate away any and all people calling about a recall.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The issue with the Takata inflators materialized as they aged, there was no issue with a new out of the box unit which is why they went into so many cars and passed all the safety tests. From a liability perspective it made complete sense to just swap out the aged out units for the same one but new until a solution was found, but I think all parties involved did an extremely poor job of explaining the rationale behind it.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I'm sort of glad that my airbag might actually shred me like a face full of buckshot or save my life in a crash.

I guess it balances out my chakras er something.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I worked at a Honda dealership in 2015 removing Takata directed fragmentation anti-personnel mines from cars. They were still installing them on new vehicles, long after the recall started.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The danger zone is "inside the car"?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

A Russian troll farm posted:

I worked at a Honda dealership in 2015 removing Takata directed fragmentation anti-personnel mines from cars. They were still installing them on new vehicles, long after the recall started.

How quick was the job, ended up discussing this because the service girl made it seem like it was an all day job when I thought it probably was like one guy in the shop that just specialized it and it was a couple of hours.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I get 2 of these warnings in the mail every day and have for at least a year but I ain't doing poo poo about it.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
just replace the danger zone with safety zone and you're good

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

I'll take two adult and two kids tickets for "Alien Erection" please
I bought an old Dodge Neon for $350 once. The trunk interior had to be ripped out due to mold. The overhead lamp was filled with dead bugs. The best thing about the car though was that there was a bad electrical connection, and the dash lights would randomly shut off. I would have to beat the poo poo out of the dashboard until they came back on, but one good bump and I was in the dark doing 70 or so.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Pick posted:

The danger zone is "inside the car"?

Duh that's why you don't wear your seatbelt so in event of collision you are safely thrown out of the danger zone and into the safety zone.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TotyoqnkRcg

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

seatbelts???? you mean PUSSY STRAPS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Hammerite posted:

Excuse me Charles, this is the Lil Swamp Booger Baby rear end in a top hat Megathread. I must insist that you please, by all means, continue to post about Tesla here.

I'd rather that this was the bird with big dick thread.