Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Ah, marching band. Started in 6th grade playing clarinet, moved to bass clarinet in middle school. 3 years marching with it, too.

Senior year, I bought a tenor sax (never played a sax before in my life) and wanted to march with it but got picked to be drum major. Being drum major of a 350-piece band rocketed me from general obscurity to rock star status. After marching season (4th place at state finals), I was first chair tenor sax but the band director needed me on bass clarinet because there was a solo in one of the competition pieces for concert.

I never did get to play the sax I bought (which cost more than my car) except for a solo & ensemble piece and a Christmas special... :suicide: I marched for a year in college but it wasn't the same. I still get it out to play every so often but its been almost 20 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
We were issued these vests to wear for the marching feature one year.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It was a requirement to be in marching band and field show if you were going to be in any band from 9th grade on. Just wanted to do concert? Marching band & field show were required. Take the zero hour jazz band elective? Marching band and field show required. The teacher was a complete zealot when it came to band, and considering the only banners in the gym were from the band, he was able to make a lot of demands. I was in marching band for one year before I quit.
My instrument was the baritone sax, and the band teacher was heavily pressuring me to play the tuba/sousaphone in 10th grade (both the tuba players graduated the year before). I'd never played a brass instrument, and made it very clear I didn't want to play one. He eventually pressured me into taking a tuba home to practice and "try it out!" Surprise, surprise, I loving hated it.
During the first rehearsal at band camp, when a tuba heavy part of the song came up, I was just pressing random valves and blowing whatever the gently caress to the beat. He gave me a cheer and a thumbs up. That's when I decided "This is complete bullshit."
I talked to him after rehearsal, reinforcing that I did not want to play the tuba. After some back and forth, I told him that I was going to just drop band if I couldn't play the sax (I owned an alto, and used the school's baritone). He insisted I play the tuba, so I quit. He told me "You're a disappointment, and are letting the entire band down." No one but him and the field show choreographer gave a poo poo if I played the tuba or not. Maybe the brown-nosing drum major.
He was convinced he could talk my parents into making me play the tuba, but my dad loving hated this guy, so it was a pretty short conversation.
It sucks that I had fewer classes with my friends, but it was also nice to get more sleep in the morning and not have practice after school.
Playing Hey Pachuco and Rhapsody in Blue was fun, though. The trip to Victoria, BC was pretty cool, too.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Brolander posted:

I marched that year (div 3, my only year) and a couple of my HS bandmates marched in that show

orlando was miserable hot in wool uniforms. I remember it raining every day and walking around that open air school watching lines. The HS we stayed at in Florida was incredible to my midwestern brain

Oh drat i just remembered we always played Florida in like September when it was still hot there. I remember one of our band members straight up passing out at the game. Granted they probably got drunk the night before like a dummy but still