Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Hey all. I've made a thread like this before but it didn't go anywhere so I'm trying again. Because I got all hypedup on marching band memories again.
Were you in the school band? What instrument did you play?
I played the alto sax. I did solos in my high school marching band. No mic, just playing a solo on the field. It was kinda badass in retrospect.
Then i did 2 years in the Pride of the Southland (University of Tennessee band). I loved it i got to go to all the football games for free.
Here's a neat video i found of my old band playing the pregame show we always played. It's neat cause you can see what it's like to be on the field.
https://youtu.be/sobhws8Osfc

Cool marching band shows you like? Post those here too! Anything band related.

Dixville fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW-g3D2uE3w

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Wrong link this is what i meant to link to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRQzi_a8d-M

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
the only thing worse than those loving marching band routines is show choir.

which i was in

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

20 Blunts posted:

the only thing worse than those loving marching band routines is show choir.

which i was in

Most marching band is kinda lame but check out this show
It was written by a computer! In like the 70s

https://youtu.be/rOTjpdo0KFg

Edit the cool poo poo is about 3 mins in

Dixville fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 12, 2020

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I remember getting whacked in the head with a trombone when we were practicing circle drill once

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dixville posted:

Wrong link this is what i meant to link to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRQzi_a8d-M

You hosed up your own op, and didn’t correct it. You need a swirly.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

yeah a motherfreakin' Super Swirlie!!!

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I smoked weed and played in the band. It was a lot more fun than playing football.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Burt Sexual posted:

Aw man. The other link is cool too so i left it. I phone post so going back and editing that stuff is slightly trickier but I'm just making excuses lol

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I actually never got teased for being in band but most of my friends were also in band tbh

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I was in marching band (and concert band, and jazz band) for four years of high school & two years of college. I played in the pit during my freshman year of high school, but then I started playing tuba. It was fun. :unsmith: I miss playing tuba. :smith:

edit: I played basketball band for two years of college too. We got to go to Cincinnati, and it was awesome.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Tuba players were always awesome and chill. I think the chillest section was the saxes though. We gave no fucks lol

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dixville posted:

I actually never got teased for being in band but most of my friends were also in band tbh

Where is color guard on the social standings

Also, is it just made up of chicks that can't cheerlead?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I had a bunch of friends in band. When we were walking somewhere id change my pace till they synced up, then change it again.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah I think I was too nerdy to be friends with the color guard. It's not necessarily easier than cheerleading I think. That twirly stuff takes practice

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Dixville posted:

Tuba players were always awesome and chill. I think the chillest section was the saxes though. We gave no fucks lol

All of my best marching band friends were saxes and other non-tuba low brass folks. I was one of two tuba players in sophomore & junior year, and the other tuba player was a pompous dick.

edit: in college, there were like seven sousaphone players, and they were all pretty great

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Lol those are Pom Pom girls as my competitive cheer daughter says. We’re athletes not sis boom ba. Yaaaay team!

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.
Solos defeat the entire point of a marching band. Woodwind solos doubly so because you can't even hear them from the stands. But hey, keep being totally badass.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Did band throughout high school. Majored in instrumental music ed, then got a master's in euphonium and trombone performance. Now I'm in an Army band, playing my dumb pointless horn for a living and suckling at the teat of a bloated defense budget, so lol thanks American taxpayer.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I played Sousa with the other almost shortest guy in the band. Had a really passionate director, we went hard af in the summer time, but probably couldn't touch a Midwest or Texas band that had like 300 members and got in trouble for pushing the kids too hard.

Band was okay for a popular with everyone kind of dude I was. My ninth grade year the busses were mixed sex, so changing clothes on the bus with the hottest chick I ever seen was about the wildest thing to happen to me at the time. That was an over night trip, and lucky for me, a couple seniors got caught with booze and debauchery and from then on out the busses were separated. It was a hard hit for band's coolness for me but I stuck with it for the rest of my high school career, for no real reason at all. My senior year I was in 4 band classes a day, and that was real dope because I loving love playing music so it wasn't school.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Well, there was this one time....at band camp

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Loden Taylor posted:

Did band throughout high school. Majored in instrumental music ed, then got a master's in euphonium and trombone performance. Now I'm in an Army band, playing my dumb pointless horn for a living and suckling at the teat of a bloated defense budget, so lol thanks American taxpayer.

This was a serious aspiration for me, but my dad was in the Navy and thought I could do "better". Now I'm a mechanic making ok money and he is career DOD and makes stupid money. Thanks Dad

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I got rejected from band for being too cool. :c00l:

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

interwhat posted:

This was a serious aspiration for me, but my dad was in the Navy and thought I could do "better". Now I'm a mechanic making ok money and he is career DOD and makes stupid money. Thanks Dad

If it's any consolation, being in the military sucks a lot of the joy out of life, and I don't think the stupid amounts of money at the back end of a DoD career are worth it.

Like I enjoy my job, and I've met a lot of wonderful people and had a lot of amazing experiences, and I'd like to think I've made some small difference in peoples' lives by bringing music to them when they may have needed it most, be it at a funeral, a celebration, or when they're deployed away from home, but at the same time these have absolutely been the worst years of my life because holy poo poo the Army blows.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Uh I actually was in marching band thanks

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

interwhat posted:

Band was okay for a popular with everyone kind of dude I was.

Yeah, I had a similar sort of personality in high school, and hopefully I still do.

quote:

My ninth grade year the busses were mixed sex, so changing clothes on the bus with the hottest chick I ever seen was about the wildest thing to happen to me at the time.

The busses were always mixed sex for us, probably because my high school marching band was only like 50 people. Like, we started allowing 8th graders to play with us, the band was so small.

One of the only pictures I have from high school is me sitting next to my trombone-playing soon-to-be boyfriend. :allears:

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Choir is better

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

We need you guys in the Ska Thread, 34 more goons and we can start a band

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Badactura posted:

Uh I actually was in marching band thanks

Nerd!

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I played with a "drum and bugle corps" for a few years in HS and after. But it was a former youth corps whose members were middle aged boomers and only knew 8 songs by memory that played five times a year mostly around the fourth of July.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dixville posted:

I remember getting whacked in the head with a trombone when we were practicing circle drill once

that was me lol

sorry not sorry

Thelonious posted:

I smoked weed and played in the band. It was a lot more fun than playing football.

in college the english dept smoked hells of weed the music dept just drank a lot

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

PTSDeedly Do posted:

Choir is better

Of course you think that. :smug:

Band > drama club > choir.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Band > drama club > choir > orchestra

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Orchestra loving owned. I went to an orchestra program thing at Carnegie Mellon the summer before my senior year of high school, and I did some sort of extracurricular local orchestra thing when I was in high school too.

This part of my life is not well-documented, hence the lack of certainty around the details.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Assigned to pit (the cymbal girls loved the pit guys) and did the typical marching band football game half time themed play, and in the off-season it became orchestra and we traveled to places like Florida and Milwaukee. I got kicked out twice.

Pahilla the Hun
Jul 24, 2007

Thinking about making a post

Think about it, make a post

i loving love you

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Dischorr_N posted:

Solos defeat the entire point of a marching band. Woodwind solos doubly so because you can't even hear them from the stands. But hey, keep being totally badass.

You could hear mine from the stands. I used a plastic Reed. It owned i played I think night in tunisia and some song from west side story. Wish I had recordings of it.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Dischorr_N posted:

Also i like your av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

interwhat posted:

I played Sousa with the other almost shortest guy in the band. Had a really passionate director, we went hard af in the summer time, but probably couldn't touch a Midwest or Texas band that had like 300 members and got in trouble for pushing the kids too hard.

Band was okay for a popular with everyone kind of dude I was. My ninth grade year the busses were mixed sex, so changing clothes on the bus with the hottest chick I ever seen was about the wildest thing to happen to me at the time. That was an over night trip, and lucky for me, a couple seniors got caught with booze and debauchery and from then on out the busses were separated. It was a hard hit for band's coolness for me but I stuck with it for the rest of my high school career, for no real reason at all. My senior year I was in 4 band classes a day, and that was real dope because I loving love playing music so it wasn't school.

We wore very little clothing at rehearsals as it was in the south and hot as gently caress. I never changed in front of dudes that i remember but i did get some attention from the dudes. Back when i was skinny. I never hooked up with a band kid though unless you count actual boyfriends. Which, i guess you would. Dammit

Dell_Zincht posted:

Well, there was this one time....at band camp

Yeah sex in the band was not as blown up as people say but there were def a ton of interband relationships