Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Gandarn Stoutcask 24/24
https://ddb.ac/characters/27384108/eVifUc

Gandarn begins exploring the first floor along with the rest of the party. Finding a locked case in the trophy room, he throws caution to the wind and pries it open with his crowbar revealing a trio of crossbows. He takes the largest one and a bundle of bolts and slings it across his back. He walks into the dining room and back, scratching his head. There appears to be a cordoned off section of the house, behind the stone. He strikes it with a crowbar to little effect, it seems very solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Doctor Sharps 17/17

Doctor Sharps thinks about what he's heard as he wanders around the first floor of the house. The kids clearly want them to go into the basement. They clearly know how to get there. Then why was Rose reluctant to tell them? Were they expected to enter the house only to wander around aimlessly?

As he passes a window, the almost opaque wall of fog catches his eye. He recalls how it approached from all sides as though forcing them into the house. Almost as though something out there is directing their movement. Perhaps whoever or whatever forced them into the house is trying to direct them into the basement as well. It would explain the contradiction in the children's stories. The unknown entity's influence conflicting with their parents' rules.

He writes his theories on his notepad and shows it to the rest of the group, adding an extra footnote: If there is some unknown entity directing our movements, it wants us to go into the basement. Do we play along?

insight - why the contradiction: 1d20 (13) + 7 = 20

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Everyone
Update, first floor has been thoroughly explored. the other floors are up in the discord. for those reading along, I will add in room descriptions in a bit.
this is a placeholder post. I recommend dealing with the second floor, and waiting for everyone to have a chance to respond/have a look at things before heading to the third, plot kicks up there.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Doctor Sharps 17/17

Deciding there is nothing else to see on the ground floor, Doctor Sharps climbs up the spiral staircase.

quote:

Unlit oil lamps are mounted on the walls of this elegant hall. Hanging above the mantelpiece is a wood-framed portrait of the Durst family: Gustav and Elisabeth Durst with their two smiling children, Rose and Thorn. Cradled in the father's arms is a swaddled baby, which the mother regards with a hint of scorn.

This is new. He heads back to the foyer where Rose and Thorn are and shows them a message written on a notepad: Who is the baby in the portrait upstairs? Where are they now?

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 12, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Callum -17 HP

As the group advanced to the second floor, Callum made a beeline to the library and was soon surrounded in the intoxicating embrace of books and knowledge. As he perused the shelves for aught of interest, he noticed a book sticking out and pulled on it.

quote:

As you pull on one of the books in the bookcase, the entire thing swings open, revealing a room beyond. Many books line the shelves in this room. All in reference to Arcane Rituals, Demonic texts and summoning rituals.

A heavy wooden chest with clawed iron feet stands against the south wall, its lid half-closed. Sticking out of the chest is a skeleton in leather armor. A closer look at the skeleton reveals that there's not much to be afraid of here. having been slain by the chests traps. three poisonous darts having drained this poor soul of it's life, Clutched in it's hand. Is a letter. It's seal reminiscent of the seal on the letter that arrigal gave you.

My most pathetic servant,

I am not a messiah sent to you by the Dark Powers of this land. I have not come to lead you on a path to immortality. However many souls you have bled on your hidden altar, however many visitors you have tortured in your dungeon, know that you are not the ones who brought me to this beautiful land. You are but worms writhing in my earth.

You say that you are cursed, your fortunes spent. You abandoned love for madness, took solace in the bosom of another woman, and sired a stillborn son. Cursed by darkness? Of that I have no doubt. Save you from your wretchedness? I think not. I much prefer you as you are.

Your dread lord and master,

Strahd von Zarovich

Quickly reading through the letter, he backed from the room and into the hallway to call out to the others conducting their own investigations.

"You should all see this, it seems our unwitting hosts were dabbling in something very dangerous." His eyes flashed orange. "There are also some scrolls here, divine magicks of some kind I cannot identify."

Rolled an investigation check 1d20+0 16 to reveal the secret room. Rolled an Arcana check to ID the scrolls 1d20+4 11 to determine they're divine in origin.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Dr. Sharps
Rose and Thorn pipe up "That's Walter!, our little brother, he is asleep upstairs, he sleeps on the other side of the house from us!"

ALso y'all found some loot
ground floor
-a heavy crossbow,(claimed by Gandarn)
-a light crossbow,
-a hand crossbow,
-twenty bolts for each crossbow(20 taken by Gandarn, 40 remain)
-small box containing a deck of playing cards.
-an assortment of wine glasses.

second floor
Library
-oil lamp,
-a jar of ink
-a quill pen
-a tinderbox
-a letter kit containing a red wax candle, four blank sheets of parchment, and -a wooden seal bearing the Durst family's insignia (a windmill).
-an iron key

Library secret room
-three spell scrolls(identified as divine),
-three blank books with black leather covers, the deed to the house, the deed to a windmill, and a signed will. The will is signed by Gustav and Elisabeth Durst and bequeathes the house, the windmill, and all other family property to Rosavalda and Thornboldt Durst in the event of their parents' deaths.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 12, 2020

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Doctor Sharps 17/17

Doctor Sharps takes out the letter delivered by Arrigal to the tavern and examines it again. Somewhat unnecessarily, as he had perused it so often during the journey here that he could recite it from memory. "Same - seal. Same - handwriting. We know who wrote this. Still don't know why." Unless the new letter also turned out to be fake. Always a possibility.

He keeps examining the letter Callum found. "The dungeon - must be - the basement. Maybe they summoned something. What is this - madness - mentioned in the letter? It seems to be the start of the problems."

As he shuffles his papers, the form filled out by Arrigal catches his eye. The wording had always seemed odd, as well as the fact that he listed a symptom under a different question. Looking at the symptoms some more, something occurs to him. He rearranges the symptoms and:

Arrigal posted:

Welcome to the clinic of Doctor Sharps and Nurse Gorr. Please fill out this questionnaire to ensure effective treatment.
  1. Please list the patient's symptoms.
    -She tires easily, not even leaving her house to enjoy our beautiful valley.
    -The poor woman's skin has turned pale, like a ghost.
    -Regularly, she becomes weak in balance. Feinting and falling.
    -Always a kind woman, she is irritable and angry now.
    -Her breathing is, troubled.
    -Death came for her, she says. troubled in the head maybe?
  2. What were the circumstances leading up to the patient's condition?
    -She suffered several repeated nights of night terrors, last I heard.
  3. What methods of treatment have been attempted previously?
    -Common Barovian old wives medicines, I do not know what they contain.
  4. Does the patient have a family history of chronic illnesses?
    -I do not know.
  5. Has the patient used alcohol or tobacco in the past two weeks?
    -All Barovians drink, you should try some at the Wizard of Wines!

Son of a- That Arrigal guy really thinks he's clever.

no i didnt figure that out on my own

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

AzMiLion posted:

Dr. Sharps
Rose and Thorn pipe up "That's Walter!, our little brother, he is asleep upstairs, he sleeps on the other side of the house from us!"

ALso y'all found some loot
ground floor
-a heavy crossbow,(claimed by Gandarn)
-a light crossbow,
-a hand crossbow,
-twenty bolts for each crossbow(20 taken by Gandarn, 40 remain)
-small box containing a deck of playing cards.
-an assortment of wine glasses.

second floor
Library
-oil lamp,
-a jar of ink
-a quill pen
-a tinderbox
-a letter kit containing a red wax candle, four blank sheets of parchment, and -a wooden seal bearing the Durst family's insignia (a windmill).
-an iron key

Library secret room
-three spell scrolls(identified as divine),
-three blank books with black leather covers, the deed to the house, the deed to a windmill, and a signed will. The will is signed by Gustav and Elisabeth Durst and bequeathes the house, the windmill, and all other family property to Rosavalda and Thornboldt Durst in the event of their parents' deaths.

I'd suggest Dr. Sharps take the loot from the Library (since he seems to be writing and taking notes the most.)
I'll claim the box of playing cards, unless someone else is particularly interested in having it. edit: same for the Divine scrolls.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Callum posted:

"You should all see this, it seems our unwitting hosts were dabbling in something very dangerous." His eyes flashed orange.

DM posted:

Library secret room
-the deed to the house, the deed to a windmill, and a signed will. The will is signed by Gustav and Elisabeth Durst and bequeathes the house, the windmill, and all other family property to Rosavalda and Thornboldt Durst in the event of their parents' deaths.

Hamartia | HP: 18/18 | LoH: 10/10 | DS: 4/5

Following Callum into the room, she thinks for a moment.
In hushed tones, she asks him, "Do you think it's possible.... those kids forged that will, and then summoned a monster, to kill their parents for the inheritance? And... they want us to kill the monster, to clean up for them? Could they be responsible for the fog, as well?" :ohdear:

Dr. Sharps posted:

Doctor Sharps takes out the letter delivered by Arrigal to the tavern and examines it again.[…] "Same - seal. Same - handwriting. We know who wrote this. Still don't know why."
"What if Arrigal is involved, somehow? It seems clear now that for whatever reason, he's out to screw with us."

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 13, 2020

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Conor Noblereaver 20/20: PP - 12, PI - 17

After Dr. Sharps previous written statement Conor had been keeping an eye on the kids, listening to their words, and parsing through his own knowledge. He moves to the others, lowering his voice to a whisper and careful to not allow the children to hear him he speaks to the others.

"The children are not real. Not anymore. Something is using them to lure us deeper into the house. Like an angler fish from the deep dark depths of the water uses its bright lure to try and draw in prey."

His grip tightens and his voice, still hushed, becomes harsher. "Something is using their guises, their memories, perhaps even their souls, to try and draw us in like a moth to a flame, a fly to a spider sitting in its web. Something must be done about this."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Conor posted:

"Something must be done about this."

Something sexy, I hope violent, I assume.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Callum -17 HP

Callum stared at Hamartia for a long moment, his thoughts racing. Could the children be responsible? The letter deforms in his hands and he stares down at it, re-reading it.

"This Strahd von Zerovich seems a more likely culprit. Especially if they crossed him after this message was sent by killing the messenger." He frowned, "That does not rule out someone from posing as the children of course." He began pacing in the small room. "We simply do not know enough to conjecture at this point. We should take the wills with us. If the children begin asking after it, then we can come back to your theory."

When Conor approaches he listens gravely. "Do you know if the children are real or not? I could not see the presence of any magic around them, and if they are being controlled I do not want to murder them."

Callum tucks the wills safely away in his pack.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 13, 2020

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Gandarn Stoutcask 24/24

Taking in all the clues and ideas of the party, Gandarn climbs to the second floor and paces back and forth on the landing for some time. Softly to himself, he speaks "Heathens, vampires, summoning beasts, these things, luring us in... why are we here?"

Time to find the entrance to the basement. He nimbly ascends the stairs to the third floor.

He reaches the top of the stairs. As he surveys a dusty balcony with a suit of black plate armor standing against one wall, draped in cobwebs, he takes a step forward. There are oil lamps on the wall with inlays of necromantic scenes.. worms, hanged men.

The armor suddenly animates and attacks! It grabs at Gandarn and attempts to push him towards the balcony! The "master dwarf" manages to plant his feet and grab the metal "wrists" of the animated suit forcibly pushing it back away from him.

Gandarn croaks out his best version of a battlecry as he draws his warhammer and attacks the enchanted armor.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Hearing the croaked out battlecry Gandarn manages to get out Conor rushes up the stairs to help him.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Doctor Sharps 17/17

Seeing everyone else rush up the stairs, Doctor Sharps strolls up as well. He unsheathes his rapier from its cane and takes a position where he is out of reach of the armor but able to dart in and attack if the opportunity comes up.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Everyone
placeholder post for now, will update more later.

Combat is Over!

As everyone rushed to Gandarn's defense, Conor charged the Animated Armor with his blazing rapier, Lorellion burnt the armor with holy fire. and finally, Callum ruined it with Eldtritch Blast!.

The armor falls to a heap in front of you, having been reduced to naught but shards of crumpled steel, unmoving.

From downstairs you hear nothing but silence. . .

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

After the brief melee, Hamartia went back to check on the two children -- but they were nowhere to be seen.
Stopping to search the dining area and the kitchen for them, the set of wine glasses caught her attention; "Surely this means there must be wine, somewhere in here..." In no time at all, she had discovered a bottle, but still no sign of Thorn or Rose.

In the meantime, the other party members seemed to have found some interesting reading materials in the library. She suggested to them that they reconvene in the dining room, so as to share the wine, and plot their next course of action. With that, she headed back downstairs to start pouring.

This time when she got to the landing, the cloakroom struck her curiousity. Searching the pockets of the coats, she found nothing; nor was there anything under the fine top hat that sat upon the shelf above them. She decided she would offer the hat to Conor, once he came downstairs.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Gandarn Stoutcask 24/24

"Ugh", Gandarn verbalizes, slouching down against the railing and flopping onto his dwarven rear end. He rubs his head, checking for blood. While he sits, recovering, the rest of the group seems satisfied with their third floor findings, he soon takes the stairs back down and meets them in the dining room. After gratefully accepting a glass of wine from Hamartia (a slight nod) Gandarn seems to shake off the spiderwebs and return to his normal jovial form. (spends one hit die to regain 12hp)

Using some of the available parchment and ink pen, Gandarn seems to be jotting down some notes and making some rough sketches of the gate that the party entered through and then barred.

After finishing his drawing and writing he speaks to the group. "Commemoration predates apparent age of stone... We should compare dates to books in here, complete a history"

The drawing shows, in detail the stonework and joinery and attachment to the gate with notes annotating all around. In summary, Gandarn seems to believe that the stonework is somewhere in the range of 500 years old, and the statue heads appear torn off. In one corner the dwarf has written "outstanding stonework".

In Gandarn's hand can be seen a question: "druidic?" Written below are a number of short passages. One, labeled "fallen plaque - 1100 years?!" reads, in somewhat archaic common as follows: "In loving memory of King Barov, and queen Ravenovia. Constructed in their honor, finished on the last day in the third moon of the year 350"

Another notation labeled "stone writing" contains this quote: "This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here."

All DM supplied info from way back at the gate

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Everyone

After the brief battle with the animated armor upstairs, you all retreat to the Dining Hall for a rest and a drink. perusing the various books you found in the library you can piece together a rough indication of the timeline of Barovia up to a point. Those of you who've gone back downstairs notice that Rose and Thorn are no longer present.

The books reveal some things, though several books contradict each other, at best you can piece together the following information.

This land was once governed by a King Barov and Queen Ravenovia. The records in these books speak of one son. Strahd, Lord Strahd von Zarovich. The books describe him as a man of great talent, a great conqueror. In the year 346, Strahd conquered and claimed Barovia. In the year 350 or thereabouts, the construction of the "Gates of Barovia" was completed. And a structure called Ravenloft was completed some months after the gates. Some mentions are made of his disappearance in the year 350, in the later moons of the year. No book mentions anything afterwards. Most of the books you find have been written around the year 450.

Two things you all notice about the books is that the dating seems odd, not using the familiar months and date system, instead using a system of 12 moons, 30 days each. Linked to the lunar cycle apparently.

And that for apparently 300 year old books, these books are in surprisingly good condition, almost as if they are freshly copied by some monk.

One book is dated substantially later, in the year 712 - Third day of the Second Moon.

The book is called "Von Richten's guide to the Unnatural, of fiends and foes."

It's a hefty read, but quick browsing shows that it contains notes on several kinds of undead, otherworldly monsters and unnatural creatures.

The important parts are summarized here.

On Vampires, the Dread Stalkers in the night.

-A vampire must rest in its coffin during the day. At night, it can summon wolves and vermin to do its bidding. A vampire can transform into a bat, a wolf, or a cloud of mist. In its humanoid form, it can dominate you with its powerful gaze.
-A vampire can't enter a residence without an invitation from one of the occupants.
-Running water burns a vampire like acid, and sunlight causes a vampire to burst into flame.
-Vampires do not like garlic, either it's taste or some chemical causes them great discomfort.
-A vampire does not have a reflection in glass mirrors. though other surfaces might reflect their horrid visage.
-A vampire is a dangerous foe, able to control minds, and easily read them.

A crudely drawn diagram of how to stake a vampire is included. showing the proper pose and technique.

On lycanthropic shape-changers, werewolves and such.
-Silver weaponry excels against lycanthropes.
-Lycanthropy is a disease, not a curse. it can be cured by a capable enough healer.
-Though called lycanthropy, were-beasts of all kinds exist, In the land of Chult, there are were-tigers!, the many great cities of the realms house plagues of were-rats.
-Controllable lycanthropy exists, in many forms and for many uses. not all lycanthropes are a danger.

On undead
-Apply clerics and holy symbols, holy water and if those fail, divine justice.(it is unclear in the book what they mean by divine justice, but it's likely percussive in nature.)

You've also found a map of Barovia, listing two other towns besides Barovia, Vallaki and Krezk.

got started on the exploration update for the bot, should be up and running tommorow!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Doctor Sharps 17/17

As Doctor Sharps browses the library, titles such as "Witches And Doctors" and "Doctor Of The Frontline" catch his eye. Unfortunately, this is no time to read a book while sitting by a fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate. He drops the books into his bag and continues searching. A book called "Bandits And Creators," describing dark gods and evil men, seems more relevant to their situation. He brings it down to the dining room and skims it for mentions of fog or summoning rituals.

He doesn't find anything about fog specifically, but there is a passage about barriers. Used to herd people in a given direction and box them in, and usually controlled from a distance. It would seem to fit with the Abjuration magic detected in the fog. More evidence for their theories, but unfortunately, no information on how to get through their current situation.

Just as he's about to close the book, he sees the words "angler fish." Under a trap called the "Death House." It draws in victims with illusions of hospitality before luring them to a specific room where - The page ends there and the next page is missing.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Conor declines both the hat and the wine. "I don't believe it is wise to drink or eat anything from this house. Nor do I see the purpose of such a hat."

He does carefully read Von Richten's guide to the Unnatural, of fiends and foes. Though he does find some of the information at odds with his own experience it seems that there is at least some good information in there.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Conor Noblereaver posted:

Conor declines both the hat and the wine. "I don't believe it is wise to drink or eat anything from this house. Nor do I see the purpose of such a hat."

"But.. you would look so dapper in this hat!" :(

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Doctor Sharps 17/17

"We can get another one - when we leave," Doctor Sharps says, not looking up from his book. His mask is sitting on the table in front of him. When a glass of wine is passed to him, he sniffs it. He takes a slip of paper out of his coat and pours a drop of wine onto it, then holds it to the light. Then he writes a note on his notepad and slides it across the table. No harmful substances in the wine, as far as I can tell. Keep in mind, though, that there was magic here we couldn't detect. There may be similar poisons. Drink at your own risk.

1d20 (14) + 7 = 21
medicine - examining the wine for poisons

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 16, 2020

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Everyone
Whenever the group is ready to carry on exploring this wonderful house, exploration for the third and fourth floor are up on discord

Callum/Connor
They found a room!
Dust and cobwebs shroud an elegantly appointed bedroom, and an adjoining nursery. Double doors set with panes of stained glass pull open to reveal a balcony overlooking the front of the house.
The bedroom contains a large bed, two end tables, and an empty wardrobe. Mounted on the wall next to the wardrobe is a full-length mirror with an ornate wooden frame carved to look like ivy and berries. Upon closer inspection some of the berries look like eyeballs, in the nursery to the North you see a ghostly female figure rocking a crib.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 16, 2020

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

At the sight of the ghost Conor raises a hand to indicate they should stop. Then turning to the others he whispers. "She is a specter. A result of a violent death who is jealous of the living and filled with an intense murderous hatred of the living as a result. They resist damage from nearly everything except magical weapons. They can drain the life of those near them. It would be best to be mindful of her and where she died, unless you are confident in taking this specter down."

There is a mixture of pity and rage on Conor's face, torn between wanting to destroy this monster, and feeling pity for it. Such a being could only be created by a violent death.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Callum -17 HP

Callum nodded as Conor finished speaking about the ghost. "We should beware everything in this house. Based on their secret library this ghost may be the least of the horrors lurking in here. We must be cautious."

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Doctor Sharps 17/17

Doctor Sharps decides ghosts are somewhat outside of his area of expertise and backs out of the room to try another door instead. He opens the adjacent door to see a dusty storage closet with sheets and cleaning supplies lining the walls and a cobweb covered broom on the other side. As he enters the room, the broom lifts off the floor and flies at him. It passes over his head and knocks off his hat before clattering down the stairwell.

After a brief moment to wonder what just happened, Doctor Sharps picks up his hat and reflects that while he had listened to Callum's advice to beware everything, this isn't quite what he expected.

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 17, 2020

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

After some deliberation with the party, Hamartia cautiously introduces herself to the ghostly nurse, explaining that her friend (Conor) believed that the spectre might be in need of some help. "I'm willing to listen, if you're able to talk with us," she added.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Everyone[!/b]
As Hamartia enters the nursery carefully approaching the nursemaid, The ghostly woman turns around, staring at the group with eyes filled with hatred and hunger.
Silent as Hamartia explains the situation.

After a brief moment of contemplation she cries out silently, her mouth stretching beyond normal size. The nursemaid launches herself towards the group. and the facade of a kind loving nursemaid fades, revealing only a skeletal ghost, thin skin stretched tightly over broken bones.

The temperature in the room drops to a chill, as if the creature is sucking the life out of the air itself.

[b]Roll Initiative!, we fighint
I've put everyone in the room, apart from sharps who is just outside the room, hiding in the closet where he was dicking around with the broom.
15b is the nursery, 15c is a balcony, there is a window between the two, there's some fog on the balcony but it looks safe to stand in( the fog ends at the boundaries of the house)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Gandarn Stoutcask 24/24
Gandarn's hands are shaking, never has he channeled so much power through a weapon before. "We should rest. Use these rooms, sleep in shifts."
Gandarn stands in the place where the suit of armor that attacked him was stationed and begins a watch.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Everyone - After Combat
Jumping in here for a bit of a summary of what happened in the fight

As our brave adventurers made their way deeper(or higher, depending on perspective) into the House of Death, they came across a nurse maiden, rocking a cradle in which presumably lied the baby Walter. Hamartia introduced herself to the maiden, at which point the wretched Specter set itself upon the group.
Hamartia took the first big hit of the fight, having the life drained out of her, barely surviving this ordeal. A little piece of her soul forever marked by Barovia. Everyone took turns throwing attacks at the apparition, with Dr. Sharps providing tactical support and guidance to those who needed it. Gandarn providing some much needed holy justice put the unruly spirit halfway to rest on his first mighty blow. Everyone else then helped in wearing down the vile creature, with Conor providing the final blow.

the party now stands in a room, with walls damaged by eldritch energies, and friends recovering in beds that aren't their own.

Fought a specter, Hamartia got pretty banged up and is at 5 Max HP for the moment, she's taking a long rest. Dr. Sharps is investigating some things in the babies room. Gandarn is standing watch, I'm assuming your taking turns/have at least one of the holy trifecta stand guard at all times?

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 22, 2020

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Doctor Sharps 17/17

The rest of the group finds beds to rest in after the fight, dragging the servants' beds up the stairs so that Gandarn can more easily keep watch. Having avoided the worst of the fights and with all the beds taken, Doctor Sharps also stays awake. He wanders around the room, the mystery of the house still gnawing at his thoughts. Whatever the specter was watching over must be important.

He heads back to the scene of the fight. The crib is there, covered in a shroud. Doctor Sharps slowly approaches and lifts the shroud with his cane. Under it is a bundle wrapped up in blankets, the size of a baby. While his area of expertise is not in ghosts and curses, Doctor Sharps can tell there's some sinister phenomenon going on here. He drops the shroud, but as he turns to leave, he sees the wall of fog on the balcony. Reminding him that the group needs anything they can find to make sense of their predicament.

He picks up the shroud and tosses it aside. He doesn't know what he expected, but the bundle is still there. He rests a gloved finger on the bundle. It's solid, with a bit of give to it. He sighs, grabs an edge of the blanket, and pulls. The bundle unravels and Doctor Sharps finds himself holding an empty blanket, staring at an empty crib. He grips his sword and swings the blanket around. Nothing falls out of it and there's no weight on it. He glances around the room and notices something strange on the wall.

It's the wall separating the nursery from the closet. A section of it has the wallpaper burned away and a chunk of wood and brick missing. Damage from one of Callum's stray magical blasts during the fight. Earlier, Doctor Sharps had been searching the closet when something blasted a hole through the wall. He had looked through it to see the rest of the group fighting a specter in the nursery and rushed over as fast as he could. But he can't see the closet now. There's no hole. He approaches the wall to take a closer look. The crater is getting smaller and smaller, brick and hardwood filling into the missing space and wallpaper stretching over.

Doctor Sharps strides across the room and into the landing where Gandarn is keeping watch. He writes out a note and holds it out in front of Gandarn. The house is alive. It's healing the damage from the fight. Go look if you want. I have a theory as to what's in the basement. It's the house's stomach. It's where its victims are digested. I don't know if it floods the room with acid or uses some magical means to process its food. But that's what's waiting for us down there.

investigation: 1d20 (5) + 3 = 8

stuff in the notepad is my own speculation

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 22, 2020

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Everyone - Death House

As Hamartia rests and recovers from the harrowing encounter with the Specter, you all settle down, doing various things. Gandarn takes first watch, where the armor first stood. Eventually replaced by the ever alert Doctor Sharps. Time passes as the house mends itself around you, the damage done to it in the fight disappearing completely.

In this moment of silence and rest you notice something odd about the house. It is entirely quiet, no creaks of old timbers settling, no crack of brick walls straining. as the grey fog outside turns to a pitch black night, Hamartia wakes back up. Looking fully recovered.

Long rest over!, It's about early evening now is your best guess.
Check your character channels, things might be happening :)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Doctor Sharps 17/17

During his watch, Doctor Sharps sits in the bench in the landing when he's not patrolling through the rooms to make sure everyone's asleep. On one of these rounds, he hears footsteps above him. Then laughing. It seems to be Rose and Thorn's voices coming from the attic. After a moment, he drags a chair in front of the door to the attic and props it under the door handle.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Callum -17 HP

Callum took some time to rest with the group, setting up his bedroll in the library surrounded by the more fascinating volumes. After a short nap he began more thoroughly cataloging the ones that might be useful to learn more about Barovia as well as select others that appealed to his more personal interest. As the others stirred and began to congregate he repacked his bags, now bulging with the extra books and scrolls, to meet the others in the hallway and decide their next move.

"We should explore the attic more," He opined. "We need to see if there's something that can dispel this mist and I do not feel like we should chance the basement yet, not when there are several rooms we have yet to explore that do not definitely have monsters in them." He punctuates this by holding up the key they had found hidden earlier. "I saw a room branching off of the attic that this might fit."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Hamartia | HP: 18/18 | LoH: 10/10 | DS: 5/5

Enduring another restless sleep, Hamartia winced and grimaced through the unnerving nightmare that beset her.
Awaking with a gasp, she noticed that she had been sweating profusely, and quickly threw off the comforter. She remained huddled sheepishly beneath the sheet, however, gradually composing herself.

[To whoever checks on her first]: "I had a horrible dream... a large chamber, filled with waist-deep water; and there was an altar at its center... the woman from the picture, she was there, in a dark hooded robe... She kept chanting, 'He is the Ancient. He is the Land.' And then..."

As she realized the tears were welling up in the corners of her eyes, she tossed herself back onto her side, and buried her face into the pillow.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 24, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Lorellion

Lorellion takes a handkerchief out of a pocket and gives it to Hamartia. "Are you all right?", he asks. "A bad dream?" He sits down on the bed, "Would you like to talk about it? Is there anything I can do to help?"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Hamartia | HP: 18/18 | LoH: 10/10 | DS: 5/5

"Cultists," she says, accepting the hanky and dabbing her eyes with it, "they... were sacrificing people on that altar. In the dream, it was someone I knew. But I... I can't be certain if any of it is for real."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Lorellion

"It's a hard thing with dreams. I never really had anyone to talk to my dreams about. Elves don't dream, you see. Or even sleep, really. But it might be a warning. Did you recognize anything about these cultists? What they were wearing, or if they had any symbols or icons? If it is a real vision, we might be able to find out what god they worship. Evil one, no doubt, if it's human sacrifices."