Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, he's a badass. Think his unique sword no one else could use did something like 1/4 of an enemy's current health as its IP ability.

Fake edit: Just checked and it was half their HP. LMAO

yeah you use that, then make guy do "octo strike" from the gades blade which makes him hit 8 times, i think there's another weapon that also cuts off a proportion of HP, and that's how you beat the big jelly

or you suicide your party, that also works but feels a bit cheap, i think it only checks for "did the fight end before the jelly disappeared?" but not how the fight ended

similar thing with the egg dragon: he has the theoretical max hp in the game so you just feed him a healing potion at the beginning, rolling over his health to like 20 and then kill him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Arc the Lad 2. The final boss was such a slog that it retroactively ruined my entire experience of that game and the thought of touching it again fills me with dread.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I got to the last boss in Megaman Legends and got rolled.

Still not sure if he actually that hard or not. But the camera controls are ROUGH and I don't know if I'm up for that again.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The final boss is pretty easy in a way that makes the whole rest of the game easy if you understand it:

Just hold the d-pad left or right while turning the camera with L1 or R1 and firing, you’ll circle-strafe around him while always shooting in his general direction. Don’t bother with special weapons, since I don’t think any of them in 1 allow you to fire while running.

Or you can do what I did as a child and grind insane amounts of money to upgrade your energy canteen to ridiculous levels.

e: now I have that pipe organ piece from the boss fight stuck in my head really badly and it’s driving me nuts that I can’t remember the title even though I’ve performed it on the second largest pipe organ in my home state, argh

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 27, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you're gonna grind unbelievable amounts of money just upgrade the shining laser and kill them in about 3 seconds

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
I love Legends, a lot, but every single boss battle amounts to “run in a circle while nudging the camera to keep your targeting reticle on the boss.” Sometimes you also jump.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

I love Legends, a lot, but every single boss battle amounts to “run in a circle while nudging the camera to keep your targeting reticle on the boss.” Sometimes you also jump.

that's not fair, there's also five boss fights where you're stuck on a boat or airship and can't maneuver at all, and the giant caterpillar mech that you need to follow around slowly, and the one where you've gotta navigate around the arena and jump on the Marlwolf's back, and the one where you need to bait specific attacks so that the boss's only vulnerable point isn't blocked by its invincible body

e:

Barudak posted:

If you're gonna grind unbelievable amounts of money just upgrade the shining laser and kill them in about 3 seconds

the shining laser requires you to do basically every sub quest though

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Do you know what's the difference between Anachronox and the Anachronox from five minutes ago? The Anachronox five minutes ago had five minutes to live on my drive.

I want to love that game, it's charming and funny, but it's a pile of bugs and shoddy programming held together with string and chewing gum, and that's after a bugfix patch. I dread to think how the game looked in its original state. The classic jRPG mechanics with few tweaks have aged really badly (thank gently caress for the fast-forward button), the tweaks that were put in feel superficial and/or not used enough, and the whole thing feels like they run out of time/money/resources, realized it at a late stage, and just put together what they had. All that combines into a game I don't regret beating, but will probably never touch again.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 4, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
There's more than I thought even though I have a terrible track record at actually beating games:

Ocarina of Time doesn't really count because I think I beat it twice, once on gamecube and once on N64. Any replay attempt since dies at Jabu Jabu's belly, I hate that dungeon so much.

Quest 64 only because I accidentally saved over my finished game save when replaying and got pissed about it.

Inuyasha and the Cursed Mask was a case of I've come this far and I'm gonna finish it dammit. The plot was extra dumb on top of being a lovely licensed Bandai RPG. And to think I was so jealous when my friend had it back at the height of my weeb days.

Actually toss in that Inuyasha fighting game on PS2 too, that took me like two hours to go through everything and I was annoyed it was literally that short.

Minish Cap was fun but no real desire to do it again. Link to the Past I had to use a guide on the last third of the game and I don't want to slog through it all again. I have bad opinions on Zelda games, yes.

Warioware GBA is because I want to keep the port of Sheriff unlocked to play once in a while and there's only one save file iirc.

Also I went back to Soul Calibur 2 on gamecube recently but played a couple rounds and quit because I didn't feel like doing all the unlocks again, and last time I did it the game wouldn't unlock Lizardman for play and I still don't know why. I did everything right according to all the FAQs....

More modern but Pokemon Sun ran out of steam story wise right at the end and I was so let down I didn't even finish the post game before selling it.

I'm still playing Dragon Quest 8 and enjoying it, but I expect it to be so long I won't want to go through it again.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Zurtilik posted:

I got to the last boss in Megaman Legends and got rolled.

Still not sure if he actually that hard or not. But the camera controls are ROUGH and I don't know if I'm up for that again.

This is where 9 year old me learned the magic of a Game Shark.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

I have bad opinions on Zelda games, yes.
I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for calling Twilight Princess a bad OoT knockoff earlier in this thread. I have since revised my opinion and now consider TP to be a good OoT knockoff.

it's because I beat Skyward Sword and felt that making GBS threads on TP was unfair when there's a much more deserving subject :v:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The Death and Return of Superman (SNES).

So very, very disappointing. Unless I somehow get dragged into a charity event and/or paid to play games I really don't like, the one recent playthrough of this is more than enough for my lifetime. It looks nice and it has a decent soundtrack, and it was so close to being a decent, fun beat-'em-up to throw an hour into for some brainless entertainment every now and then too, but a combination of things just had to rear their ugly heads and make it impossible to actually enjoy:
  • The bizarre inability to hit more than one enemy at a time with your attacks. This is by far the worst offender and by assocation it's what makes the game so thoroughly miserable as a beat-'em-up. Say for example there are two mooks moving in to attack you from the same side, eventually overlapping in a space within Superman's own attack range. Pretty standard AI behaviour for the genre. You mash the button to throw a few punches and take out both mooks at once but for whatever dickbrained gameplay/balance reason, only one of them takes the hits; the other remains free to waltz on through and slap you instead. This is pretty much beat-'em-up heresy and inexcusable stuff, especially for a game as late as 1994/1995. Even Double Dragon (all the way back in 1987!) didn't pull this poo poo, and I can't think of any other beat-'em-up with such a crippling design decision. Needless to say, it slows the game down horribly and combat soon becomes a chore, but before long it gets even worse and you have to deal with three enemies at once (a pathetic number in any good beat-'em-up) while suffering this lovely handicap. This is where the combat -- the loving bread-and-butter of the game! -- goes from simply being a chore to becoming aggressively unfun, almost spiteful in its approach. Moreso when some mooks outrange Superman by half the screen.
  • The 'shoot' ability (eye lasers, arm cannon etc. depending on which Superman you are) is literally loving worthless.
  • The flying enemies ("Elite" & "Warworlder") are an incessant irritation that invariably take immediate priority over all other enemies from the moment they show up. You can't let them roam else you just get loving murdered by a barrage of laser fire. So you drop what you're doing and take to the air to counter & kill this shithead, only for another to instantly take his place. Followed by another. And then another. Wow, wonders truly never cease. At one point I could swear there was a sequence of six of these loving things, on three occasions, on one level. These fuckers wind up being a staple enemy, unfortunately. They're as durable as anything else in the game, but even the slightest misclaculation on your part and they WILL hit you. Much like the above, dealing this tedious crap slows the gameplay down way too much.
  • The levels themselves simply drag on like you wouldn't believe, and there isn't anywhere near enough enemy variety per stage to make up for this seemingly-endless traipse through each area. Sure you get the occasional (albeit pointless) side-scrolling shoot-'em-up section where holding down the attack button basically lets you win, but other than that it's a slog to get through the first seven stages. Then suddenly the last three turn up and are over almost as soon as they started.
  • To top it off, the difficulty balance in this game is all over the loving place with absolutely no consistency or logical build-up at all. The bosses (when they bother appearing) are absolutely pathetic too, unless they (somehow) manage to land a hit, in which case you just get destroyed and lose a life.

In short, horrible game that could have been so much better if the devs were paying attention and "borrowing" ideas from established beat-'em-up games. Fighting through this just turns into abusing the dive attack at every moment. Miserably poo poo.

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

[*] The bizarre inability to hit more than one enemy at a time with your attacks.
What the gently caress this actually hurts to read given how you play every other game in the genre.

My answers are literally any game Yoko Taro has made (because they have great stories and play not-so-well, but I've seen the twists now), and God Hand because my PS2 is long gone and I'd wager Capcom will never release it again. God Hand is god game good god

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

[*] The bizarre inability to hit more than one enemy at a time with your attacks. This is by far the worst offender and by assocation it's what makes the game so thoroughly miserable as a beat-'em-up. Say for example there are two mooks moving in to attack you from the same side, eventually overlapping in a space within Superman's own attack range. Pretty standard AI behaviour for the genre. You mash the button to throw a few punches and take out both mooks at once but for whatever dickbrained gameplay/balance reason, only one of them takes the hits; the other remains free to waltz on through and slap you instead. This is pretty much beat-'em-up heresy and inexcusable stuff, especially for a game as late as 1994/1995. Even Double Dragon (all the way back in 1987!) didn't pull this poo poo, and I can't think of any other beat-'em-up with such a crippling design decision.

the adventures of bayou billy for the NES also does this

it is a bad game

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

PastaBakeWizard posted:

My answers are literally any game Yoko Taro has made (because they have great stories and play not-so-well, but I've seen the twists now), and God Hand because my PS2 is long gone and I'd wager Capcom will never release it again. God Hand is god game good god

God Hand was released digitally on PS3, but not PS4 unfortunately. I'd recommend the PAL version since it has a 60Hz mode and fixes the depth of field effect that looks pixelated on NTSC. Both versions have some slowdown in the intro cutscene but otherwise run fine.

I only beat Twilight Princess in 2007 because I felt I had to. I was so excited for it to come out, but the whole game feels like a tutorial where you're not given the freedom to explore or work things out for yourself. I just wanted to get to Hyrule Field and see how each area looked on this new generation, but instead you're just trapped in whatever area the story needs you to be.

The whole game is just easy, patronising and derivative, and whoever says it's the darkest in the series probably say the same thing about Revenge of the Sith.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Jazerus posted:

it is a bad game

Adventures of Bayou Billy is one of those games I beat once and never will again because of this fact. It’s already balls hard as-is but the last boss of the game is two powerful dudes, and one will always murder you while you’re attacking the other.

The only way I was able to beat them was with the whip, which allows you to keep some distance from them. But the last available whip is several levels before the last level. You can bring weapons between levels but if you die you lose them all. So if I died anywhere between picking up the last whip and reaching the last boss I’d just reset. Kid Genpei Turtle had a lot more patience for bullshit in games than I do now.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Quake (N64).
Finished this one only recently and while it's playable enough on Hard despite finnicky controls (as usual for the N64), why the gently caress they included the Nightmare difficulty in this port will remain a mystery to me for all eternity. An absolute headache that will take years off your life.

Jazerus posted:

it is a bad game

Genpei Turtle posted:

Adventures of Bayou Billy is one of those games I beat once and never will again because of this fact.
Ah hell, I didn't want to be reminded of this one. Horrible game.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Quake (N64).
Finished this one only recently and while it's playable enough on Hard despite finnicky controls (as usual for the N64), why the gently caress they included the Nightmare difficulty in this port will remain a mystery to me for all eternity. An absolute headache that will take years off your life.

Ah hell, I didn't want to be reminded of this one. Horrible game.

< what did you say????

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is probably going to be Breath of the Wild for me, which I kinda figured from the start. Even though there's a hard mode, I feel like it just wouldn't be the same experience for a game so built around discovery.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I would have liked to give Red Dead Redemption another playthrough, but the constant CHUNKA-CHUNKA-CHUNK from my PS3's drive as it streamed data from the disc was frankly too alarming.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oddly, I think Katamari Damacy is gonna fall into this camp for me too. I enjoyed the first game, but don't feel the need to go back and better my scores. And it's the same with my current play through of We Love Katamari. I'm enjoying it but don't feel the need to go back and 100% it. Which is weird because I am all about arcade style games these days.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Ninja Gaiden 1 on the NES. There are plenty others, but that’s the one that instantly came to mind.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Oddly, I think Katamari Damacy is gonna fall into this camp for me too. I enjoyed the first game, but don't feel the need to go back and better my scores. And it's the same with my current play through of We Love Katamari. I'm enjoying it but don't feel the need to go back and 100% it. Which is weird because I am all about arcade style games these days.

Ive never felt the need to go back and beat Katamari scores. For me the joy of the game is sloppily finishing the level and enjoying each levels changes on the stage setup and little narratives and scenes they include. It just never felt score attack to me despite its attempts

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'm gonna go ahead and say 'most games I finish these days', since we all have too many games and not enough time on our hands. Postgame? gently caress that, I've got five sequels to this game alone to get through!

More seriously though, Diablo II is the first game that comes to mind, simply because I've played it so much, I have literally no desire to ever play it again. Same with Mario 3. I may pick up Mario World or whatever, but I just don't see myself playing it willingly ever again.

Coffee Jones posted:

One of the last of the old school British isometric maze action titles, this time on SNES. Sequel to Solstice on NES

I also remember it for the ad, which oversells it a smidge.

There was actually another page to this ad - more of a sidebar, really - which had the grandson pick the game up, thus propagating the curse for another generation. Though it may have said that the kid got up to the final boss this time, I really don't remember.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

There was actually another page to this ad - more of a sidebar, really - which had the grandson pick the game up, thus propagating the curse for another generation. Though it may have said that the kid got up to the final boss this time, I really don't remember.

"Had to miss your grandfather's funeral, but you finally conquered the evil empress. He would have wanted it that way."

Seriously though, how hardcore's the actual game on a scale of 1 to Wizardry 4?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pierzak posted:

"Had to miss your grandfather's funeral, but you finally conquered the evil empress. He would have wanted it that way."

Seriously though, how hardcore's the actual game on a scale of 1 to Wizardry 4?

Not particularly. It's a sequel to Equinox on the NES, so it's that kind of isometric platforming/puzzle-solving thing. It's hard, but it's not disgustingly so. There's a few stumpers early on though, and several maps later on have multiple entrances you need to investigate, so it can be overwhelming and more than a little frustrating but overall, it ramps up the difficulty way more slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Silent Hill Homecoming. I think I may've been the one person that actually finished the loving PC version, the one that's so bug-filled and broken it crashes to desktop about every half hour. I don't know if it's even possible to beat on Windows 10, as the last time I tried it, it just crashed over and over again at the same point a couple of hours in.

The first time I played through it, I was so pissed off by the end with it it was a relief just to uninstall the wretched thing. A terrible port of a truly lovely game.