Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr8GR_Y8fe8

Jeffrey Dahmer fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Torquemada posted:

Do they in fact go anise to mouth.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
:siren::frogsiren::siren:SERIOUS BRISKET QUERY:siren::frogsiren::siren:

I just took my brisket out of its cryo seal. it smells foul. no discoloration, no signs of spoilage, and it's in date ... it's just stanky.

the stank seems to be dissipating really quickly, but I was taken aback.

anybody else got a funky brisket (not the 1979 song and associated dance)?

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

oh no! if it smells bad enough that you're questioning it, you probably shouldn't eat it. overwhelmingly meaty is normal, off is not. if your nose is telling you it's bad it probably is somehow.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
say hi to your mom op and also reconsider putting her in the oven pls

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Empty Sandwich posted:

I just took my brisket out of its cryo seal. it smells foul. no discoloration, no signs of spoilage, and it's in date ... it's just stanky.

i know pork will often have a sulfuric smell when cryopacked, I don't really buy cryopacked beef though so dunno there.

trust your nose with meat though, if the smell dissipates its fine

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
remember to lather up a nice foam layer before you extricate the beef mass from the rind, to protect yourself from splatter!

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
no but seriously those juices, they get in the eyes? those eyes get rapidly displeased with current events and begin to rebel against the rest of the body

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Booty Pageant posted:

i'm thinkin bout doing mine with a sous vide

Do it.

I have.

I've done everything sous vide baby. All of it. You know the Blue Wizards in Tolkein that went to the far East and weren't heard of again. I'm one of them. Except my name was twisted by time and men and blue became Sous. I am a sous wizard.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Empty Sandwich posted:

It's totally fine if the smell dissipates. If you open the package, take it off and throw it away and come back to it after it set on a board/plate for just a few it should not smell, doubly so if you rinse it prior to prepping it for whatever your plan is.
As mentioned, cryo pork can get real bad like that and I had the same thought when I used it a long time ago before knowing about it and was like "yo." But it's ok.

If it's past date or "Honey found this in the rec room closet, it was still in the bag!", not so much, obviously. Also CHICKEN I probably wouldn't gently caress with. Pork and beef...honestly I might even consider using it anyway even if it was on or just past date with a bad smell if it wasn't gray or otherwise turning. Depending. Maybe.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 16, 2020

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
gracias, everybody. the smell went away and the beef is red as heck. if I die, you guys can have my CDs.

provisional mnemonic, assuming I don't die:

smell dissipates? the beef is great
but if it lingers? toss that thinger

(if I do die, please change it to funky smell? send it to hell)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ah.
Hold up.

Sorry.

I didn't think to equate the two until you said this.
Beef brisket in vac seal, now very red.

Would you say, almost pinkish in the fat and slimy liquid coming off it, as in, more than what'd seem normal to you for fresh?
Did you by chance by a corned beef brisket, I'm wondering? Because the smell and 'over red', and 'in a cryo pak' are now making me definitely think so.

If so you've maybe got a change in plans ahead.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

looks like corned beef hash is back on the menu boys

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I did a brisket Friday night, but I didn't have time to bake it so I threw it in the instant pot but it just want the same. Like it was edible but not the real deal I was hoping for ):

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

instapots take the fun out of brisket cuz you wanna smell that poo poo all day while it cooks

if my house could smell like cooking beef or venison all winter I'd be super happy but I don't eat them super often it's mostly chicken or vegetarian for me. Not cuz I'm a vegetarian obvs, but because it's cheaper. jeera aloo baby

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

instapots take the fun out of brisket cuz you wanna smell that poo poo all day while it cooks

if my house could smell like cooking beef or venison all winter I'd be super happy but I don't eat them super often it's mostly chicken or vegetarian for me. Not cuz I'm a vegetarian obvs, but because it's cheaper. jeera aloo baby

can you put smokey wood in an instapot? why even consider cooking a brisket on such a device

youre
Dec 30, 2019

If you wrap it in butchers paper during the cook your brisket game will increase 8-10%

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Captain Beans posted:

can you put smokey wood in an instapot? why even consider cooking a brisket on such a device

Theoretically, you can/could do the following

A.) Cook the brisket in the instapot. Allow it to rest, and then chill it and smoke it whole or post-carving, using either a grill or indoor smoker to impart flavor.
B.) Reverse the process and smoke the brisket using one of these two methods and THEN instapot it, hoping to retain some of the smokey flavor.

I have done both methods, using my charcoal grill and various types of wood smoke on different types of meat. Typically in conjunction with sous vide, where things are a bit more...controlled. I HAVE however, pre-smoked cheapo bone in blade pork 'ribs' (think country style ribs, with the bone still in) and then turned them into BBQ pulled pork using a slow cooker, which is similar to an instapot. That turned out excellent. Worth it? Maybe, maybe not. I didn't have time for a full smoke, so I compromised and did it that way and enjoyed it pretty good.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i smoked a 21lb brisket over white oak yesterday and it was very nice

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

kecske posted:

every person I've ever known in food service never cooks for themselves and lives on gin, cigarettes and plain toast

This used to be true

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

the brisket is a meager, humble product, elevated to glory by patience and care

much like my posting

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the brisket was neither rotted nor corned. I smoked it in the Weber, so it went a little fast, but was still pretty drat tasty.

I wish barbecue ecumenism were ubiquitous. it's all so tasty. there's no need to fight

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Empty Sandwich posted:

the brisket was neither rotted nor corned. I smoked it in the Weber, so it went a little fast, but was still pretty drat tasty.

I wish barbecue ecumenism were ubiquitous. it's all so tasty. there's no need to fight

lmao this guy is so poisoned from his tainted meat he's using words that don't even exist

go to a hospital Empty Sandwich we're worried about you

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You hosed it up somehow, I just know it

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
nah, I just run sprachgefuhl

gently caress, I am having a stroke, aren't I? I do smell toast, but I'm making toast

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
can i talk about butts here in brisket thread? I promise not to use large and nerdy words

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't think there has ever been a thread where it's unacceptable to talk about butts

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Pork butt is a fine cut of meat for smoking if you dine on swine

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

here's a butt I just placed on the Weber. please note how sloppy it is. it's maybe the sloppiest butt I've ever purchased.

I rubbed it with fish sauce (we'll see), then homemade mustard sauce (standard), and my secret dry rub (the secret is that I throw in the exact ingredients everybody else does but without measuring... this one is like mostly coffee, tea, salt, sugar, herbs (probably marjoram and thyme))

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i was scrolling down really fast and thought i saw a boob

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

We've already opened up the floor to butt discussion I see no reason not to go a little further and allow boobs as well

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

gary oldmans diary posted:

i was scrolling down really fast and thought i saw a boob

same, tbh

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

We've already opened up the floor to butt discussion I see no reason not to go a little further and allow boobs as well

same, tbh

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Smoked tiddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

There has always been a small part of me which hungers to eat human boob.