Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Vieques is indeed really nice. There are some sign up telling you to stay on marked roads and report suspicious objects.

Vieques and culebra are interesting case studies the context of the caribbean because they are essentially dependencies of another colony. I don't know how much stock to put in it, but my coworker lived on the islands for a while and said that many locals are fiercely independent because they don't feel that the main island has given them representation in local issues. The ferries that run to the islands are a perennial source of strife, since they're the small islands' lifelines and they've often been breaking down/delayed/plagued by mismanagement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Speaking as a stoned entrepreneur; why does every good idea have to make money? If capitalism fosters "good" ideas (i.e. sustainable for life on this planet Earth) then why does it not "value" them appropriately in the United States of America?

How could the Caribbean determine the inputs a sustainably good idea required in order to function (including providing a fun, free and meaningful life for its citizens) and also provide those inputs without requiring those ideas to be sold an open market?

The real question, is the stock market American Capitalism or Just Capitalism? Maybe it's something else, Idk I'm rambling.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

EDIT: Wrong thread.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

UnknownTarget posted:

Speaking as a stoned entrepreneur; why does every good idea have to make money? If capitalism fosters "good" ideas (i.e. sustainable for life on this planet Earth) then why does it not "value" them appropriately in the United States of America?

How could the Caribbean determine the inputs a sustainably good idea required in order to function (including providing a fun, free and meaningful life for its citizens) and also provide those inputs without requiring those ideas to be sold an open market?

The real question, is the stock market American Capitalism or Just Capitalism? Maybe it's something else, Idk I'm rambling.

the stock market is just a reflection of capitalist forces; each one behaves according to the whims of whatever forces are most prominent in whatever economy is trading in it

Thesaurus posted:

Vieques is indeed really nice. There are some sign up telling you to stay on marked roads and report suspicious objects.

Vieques and culebra are interesting case studies the context of the caribbean because they are essentially dependencies of another colony. I don't know how much stock to put in it, but my coworker lived on the islands for a while and said that many locals are fiercely independent because they don't feel that the main island has given them representation in local issues. The ferries that run to the islands are a perennial source of strife, since they're the small islands' lifelines and they've often been breaking down/delayed/plagued by mismanagement

infrastructure is almost impossible to maintain on any island, especially for the smaller ones. there’s just no money for anything

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
2ng gen Haitian American here and I unfortunately can't give any in depth essays on the state of my country. I barely even know what the hell is going on at the moment but I'm very interested about what goes on in other West Indian and Spanish speaking islands. I'm just gonna lurk but appreciate the thread even if it focuses on P.R.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

So how's it going in the Caribbean?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Idia posted:

2ng gen Haitian American here and I unfortunately can't give any in depth essays on the state of my country. I barely even know what the hell is going on at the moment but I'm very interested about what goes on in other West Indian and Spanish speaking islands. I'm just gonna lurk but appreciate the thread even if it focuses on P.R.

I lived right on the haitian-dominican border in the middle of nowhere on the DR side. That poo poo was often grim but also chill and uplifting. I was gonna take a big Haiti trip when I left but my plans ended up changing before I could go :( I was even learning kreyol, which has since evaporated into a fine mist of rum.

Do you know the circumstances of your family's emigration?

Thesaurus has issued a correction as of 04:24 on Sep 15, 2020

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

UnknownTarget posted:

So how's it going in the Caribbean?

My apartment building's pool has reopened for the first time in six months, and there is no hurricane hitting us for the next week, so things are going great!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is Bermuda considered "The Caribbean" despite being all the way out in the Atlantic Ocean?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Thesaurus posted:

My apartment building's pool has reopened for the first time in six months, and there is no hurricane hitting us for the next week, so things are going great!

Woohoo!

You know, much of the Caribbean is projected to get a lot dryer as the climate changes. As the moist air is diverted away from the Caribbean, it's not surprising that the clouds, storms and hurricanes will follow suit. The Caribbean may get worse freak storms but less hurricanes overall.

Or 2021 could have it swing back into the islands. gently caress knows at this point lol.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is Bermuda considered "The Caribbean" despite being all the way out in the Atlantic Ocean?

I honestly didn't know where it was and just assumed it was somewhere near the Bahamas and I'm from the Caribbean so yea I think so lol.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

that depends on their mindset. do they ever drink out of coconuts?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

IDK but lol the Google Street View in Bermuda has "BERMUDA Gotobermuda.com" where the car is normally blurred out.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

poo poo I'll throw bermuda onto the caribbean pile, where else would they be otherwise?

Anyways, PR governor declared a partial re-opening. Beaches are open, restaurants, bars, and clubs are closed, everywhere is limited to 25% capacity. Not great but I was expecting worse. We'll see how long this lasts

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Gla dyou all can go to the beach at least. :)

Just remembered that the USVI got one of these and AFAIK might be the only place in the USA that has? Lol

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/usvirgin-islands

"Warning Level 3, Avoid Nonessential Travel"

"CDC recommends travelers avoid all nonessential travel to the U.S. Virgin Islands"

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

cool dance moves posted:

poo poo I'll throw bermuda onto the caribbean pile, where else would they be otherwise?

Anyways, PR governor declared a partial re-opening. Beaches are open, restaurants, bars, and clubs are closed, everywhere is limited to 25% capacity. Not great but I was expecting worse. We'll see how long this lasts

The parking garages as plaza las Américas (largest mall in caribbean) is filling up again. Gonna be a poo poo show when schools open. at least with the beaches open it's better than the previous formulation of "close and aggressively police outdoor spaces, but allow giant indoor malls to open". I've never seen the cops here so proactive as when they were patrolling the beaches.

Policing in Puerto Rico and the greater caribbean is a subject id love to hear more about.

Edit: restaurants are open to 50% capacity for indoor dining. Just bars and "chinchorros" closed afaik, although I certainly saw a lot of people hanging out drinking around suspiciously bar looking places over the weekend

Thesaurus has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Sep 16, 2020

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

any book recommendations??

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

war against all puerto ricans by nelson a. denis is a pretty good summary of the history of the island to about 1960

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Thesaurus posted:

Do you know the circumstances of your family's emigration?

They left Haiti in the 70s during Duvalier's reign of terror. I have no family left in Haiti they're all scattered in the US, Quebec and France.
I've lost any little kreyol and French I knew as a kid since I haven't lived with my family for a long time.
Currently reading a book on Duvalierism actually, since I knew very little of that period beyond bits and pieces from my family. It's titled Haiti: State Against Nation by Trouillot. It goes over Haitian history leading up to the regime and it really opened my eyes on Haiti's production and how the state has been essentially sucking the lifeblood of the peasantry since the 1800s.

Idia has issued a correction as of 13:18 on Sep 21, 2020

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Thesaurus posted:

I liked An Empire Divided for the former anglo Caribbean colonies, if you're interested in history from the late 18th century.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Thesaurus posted:

here's a big ol bellyful of reading material for ya https://puertoricosyllabus.wordpress.com/

and a couple on what hurricane maria and its aftermath mean for puerto rico and the world
https://www.haymarketbooks.org/books/1333-aftershocks-of-disaster
https://www.haymarketbooks.org/books/1250-the-battle-for-paradise

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

cool dance moves posted:

here's a big ol bellyful of reading material for ya https://puertoricosyllabus.wordpress.com/

:eyepop:

Thanks everyone

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Hey cool dance moves, what sort of movements are going in Puerto Rico these days? Anyone organizing that you know of?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Bumping this again with an observation that has been noted by someone close to me when I took them to Carnival; they loved it and one of the reasons was because it was a party for party's sake. Most Americans don't get to experience a non-commercialized event. Local fairs where they're from are all about selling goods to people. I think this is a key difference between American street culture and the rest of the world.

In fact I think it's one of the things that really holds the USA back; things aren't "worth" anything if they can't be turned into a business. It's hard to get anyone to invest in something that won't eventually turn a profit.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

UnknownTarget posted:

Bumping this again with an observation that has been noted by someone close to me when I took them to Carnival; they loved it and one of the reasons was because it was a party for party's sake. Most Americans don't get to experience a non-commercialized event. Local fairs where they're from are all about selling goods to people. I think this is a key difference between American street culture and the rest of the world.

In fact I think it's one of the things that really holds the USA back; things aren't "worth" anything if they can't be turned into a business. It's hard to get anyone to invest in something that won't eventually turn a profit.

yeah it’s difficult to square traditional indigenous/taino values with capitalist profit obsession; i imagine it’s one of the reasons that the caribbean and the global south in general is so fertile for leftist uprisings, because it squares better with a general sense of community and enjoying things for their own sake rather than their profitability

plus, y’know, america’s white colonizers exterminated everyone so they have no greater tradition than bleeding the land dry for all it’s worth

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

UnknownTarget posted:

Hey cool dance moves, what sort of movements are going in Puerto Rico these days? Anyone organizing that you know of?

i'm not involved in anything at the moment, but i have heard of some groups through the grapevine. here's some:
-Casa Pueblo: https://casapueblo.org/
-Centro de Periodismo Investigativo: https://periodismoinvestigativo.com/

The Puerto Rico Syllabus I linked earlier has a much larger list of groups, here: https://puertoricosyllabus.wordpress.com/additional-resources/activists-organizations-and-citizen-initiatives/

e:: forgot about Pulso Estudiantil, they're good too

cool dance moves has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Sep 27, 2020

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Declan MacManus posted:

yeah it’s difficult to square traditional indigenous/taino values with capitalist profit obsession; i imagine it’s one of the reasons that the caribbean and the global south in general is so fertile for leftist uprisings, because it squares better with a general sense of community and enjoying things for their own sake rather than their profitability

plus, y’know, america’s white colonizers exterminated everyone so they have no greater tradition than bleeding the land dry for all it’s worth

What traditional Taino values are you aware of? I have some Spanish+Taino blood (no I don't know if it was a struggle snuggle or not) but no knowledge of their values' place in the modern era. It's made me wonder if there's such a thing as a "new Native American".

Like, it calls into question the idea of genetic vs. cultural identity. I know in the USA, percentages of less than 13% Native American are considered irrelevant, but what's funny is that the Taino and Carib tribes are not legally considered "Native American". So you can have a Native Sioux but not a Native Carib. But the Taino tribe was so utterly devastated by the Spanish that I've only heard rumors that there are some practitioners of tribal traditions in the deep Puerto Rican mountains. So when I ask "What traditional Taino values are you aware of?" I'm curious to know because if such a tribal identity still existed. If so, I would surely have to be considered separate from it; unless the concept of a "New Native American" was taken into account, which would confer a common belief system as opposed to genetic heritage, right?

Thanks cool dance moves I'll check those out when I'm not walking my pup! :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

UnknownTarget posted:

IDK but lol the Google Street View in Bermuda has "BERMUDA Gotobermuda.com" where the car is normally blurred out.

Bermuda is home to the world’s northernmost wild coconut palms.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

UnknownTarget posted:

What traditional Taino values are you aware of? I have some Spanish+Taino blood (no I don't know if it was a struggle snuggle or not) but no knowledge of their values' place in the modern era. It's made me wonder if there's such a thing as a "new Native American".

Like, it calls into question the idea of genetic vs. cultural identity. I know in the USA, percentages of less than 13% Native American are considered irrelevant, but what's funny is that the Taino and Carib tribes are not legally considered "Native American". So you can have a Native Sioux but not a Native Carib. But the Taino tribe was so utterly devastated by the Spanish that I've only heard rumors that there are some practitioners of tribal traditions in the deep Puerto Rican mountains. So when I ask "What traditional Taino values are you aware of?" I'm curious to know because if such a tribal identity still existed. If so, I would surely have to be considered separate from it; unless the concept of a "New Native American" was taken into account, which would confer a common belief system as opposed to genetic heritage, right?

i was speaking more generally; the taino/arawak lived in a utilitarian collectivist society that still had social hierarchies and a class system but didn’t rely on commerce, trade, or other traditional economic systems, so there was never necessarily a specific need to hold festivals for money or to consolidate power

a lot of history was lost over time natch; i’m not really aware of what traditions predate colonial occupation and which became part of the culture afterwards

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Got sources? Would like to read more while I'm reading about those PR movements.

Circling back around to one of the posts that started this whole thing; one of the strongest methods of building solidarity is referencing a common culture or shared history. Can the native (now AFAIK mostly gone) Taino/Arawakian cultures be that "New American" shared culture?

Just a concept. People these days are lost and often look to find some historical culture to derive meaning from. Creating that culture from the trappings of the old might bring people together. Thoughts?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

UnknownTarget posted:

Got sources? Would like to read more while I'm reading about those PR movements.

Circling back around to one of the posts that started this whole thing; one of the strongest methods of building solidarity is referencing a common culture or shared history. Can the native (now AFAIK mostly gone) Taino/Arawakian cultures be that "New American" shared culture?

Just a concept. People these days are lost and often look to find some historical culture to derive meaning from. Creating that culture from the trappings of the old might bring people together. Thoughts?

well, in puerto rico and the dominican republic at least there’s a lot of common genetic ancestors from the taino people, so even though as a people they’re barely holding on as a distinct culture it does unite people (which does lead to some dumb “we don’t have a race problem” poo poo even though they do)

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/what-became-of-the-taino-73824867/ here’s a quick smithsonian article which is as closed to unbiased as a white imperialist country’s source is going to be; it falls into some noble savage tropes but does a good job of explaining first contact between columbus and the indigenous populations

https://web.archive.org/web/20160114051729/http://www.proyectosalonhogar.com/enciclopedia_ilustrada/indios_Tainos.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/2019052...de-puerto-rico/

some other stuff on the taino people, a little less flattering but more honest

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

hey, I forgot about this thread after the derail in doomsday economics!

I’m a first generation Indo-Trinidadian-American that hasn’t been back to Trinidad since, I guess, 2017? and won’t be back for a good while yet

Trinidad & Tobago are nice places, but all the family & family friends I have down there are pessimistic about the future: whether that means the country becoming a police state, terrorists trying a coup (again!), or blaming Venezuelan refugees and immigrants for crime

up thread it was said that dependencies among Caribbean islands led to resentment: in my understanding of Tobago that’s true. there’s a sentiment that they’ve been abandoned by the people of Trinidad, ever since independence

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Thanks for the links, I read through the history and it was mostly as I remembered it from school. I've seen some videos of people practicing traditional Taino rites in the PR jungle and have heard of many descendants in the jungles of DR and Haiti. I've also seen one hilarious video of two very white and confused people getting married by a "traditional Taino tribesman" or something like that.

So it is theoretically possible (of course) that a magnification of this tribe's lineage could unite the Caribbean and from what you said it seems like there's some practical evidence to support it in reality. The racism issue isn't surprising but I don't know the specifics.

I guess I'm casually kicking about, for the sake of discussion, the idea of a new pan-Caribbean identity based on the Taino people. Since their culture is mostly extinct (right? I don't want to sound cold but it's certainly not mainstream), it opens up a door to people "choosing" to be Taino.

Of course it also opens up the door to people focusing too much on aspects like polygamy and idol worship, which is not the goal. The goal would be to bring together the Caribbean peoples under a common identity to foster inter-island cooperation. So maybe it's more of a social/governmental thing that is simply called the "Neo Native Carribean Coalition" or something like that.

I will say that I don't personally want to lead this charge, I have a path that I'm walking already. But it makes for some interesting thoughts, don't you think? Imagine a solarpunk future where the NNCC is a real thing. Would be cool IMO.

Edit: was typing this and then you replied wolfs. :) I've actually been talking with someone from T&T as a part of my startup journey! When you say abandoned after independence, who from?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

the British! this was the sentiment of a maxi taxi driver that had picked up my family from the ferry terminal in Tobago - the Tobagoans were “left on their own” by Trinis. my father had said something about walking the entirety of the island with his friends when he was young that prompted the driver to lay into the government

and I mean - he’s not wrong, as far as I know, and the way the islands have evolved is that Tobago is the tourist trap and Trinidad has the business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

looks like there's some protests in san juan about domestic violence
https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1310727873154736128

also have the twitter account for the local socialist newspaper https://twitter.com/banderaroja_pr