Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019

spacing in vienna posted:

Rural Pennsylvania supplies such fun names as Panic, Home, and Bird-in-Hand. Are any of those listed?

None of those are in the book. I'm always curious about Bird-in-Hand when I see it on maps, though. If I recall it's located near the other infamously named Pennsylvania town of Intercourse. Let's see what Wikipedia has to say:

Home, Pennsylvania received its name because its first post office was located in the "home" of postmaster Hugh Cannon in 1834.

The legend of the naming of Bird-in-Hand concerns the time when the Old Philadelphia Pike was surveyed between Lancaster and Philadelphia. According to legend, two road surveyors discussed whether they should stay at their present location or go on to the town of Lancaster. One of them supposedly said, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush," which means it is preferable to have a small but certain advantage than the mere potential of a greater one; and so they stayed.

Panic, Pennsylvania most likely was named after the Panic of 1873. A folk etymology maintains the name originated when a pioneer fought off a bear with an axe.

I like the folk etymology for Panic better than the actual probable origin, so I'm just gonna go with that one :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The folk option is always the correct option, even if it is less factual accurate

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I have a similar book "Indian Names of Places, Etc., In and On the Borders of Connecticut: With Interpretations of Some of Them." originally published in 1881.

https://books.google.com/books?id=GuJCAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Pretty much every native word you can come across in Connecticut is in the book and most native words you find in New England you could probably decipher.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

RFC2324 posted:

The folk option is always the correct option, even if it is less factual accurate
Herodotus' forum account identified.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
What was that place ...uhhh they used the same name for alot of the rivers and landmarks, because the surveyors were asking a local tribe what they called it, and kept giving that one answer.
Turns out they were saying " We have no idea what you are asking us" / " I do not understand you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yucatan