Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Except for not going a bit further?

I'm being catty but I'm genuinely curious what horrible poo poo he did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
well first of all he was indirectly responsible for this thread

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

burn the south

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

burn the south

Junk posted:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Look at this handsome bastard!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Rained shells on Atlanta for 5 weeks.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
“Sherman developed a theory about how the war should be fought. He thought the government should declare martial law in Florida, fill the territory with troops and exterminate the Indians.”

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
IIRC he had some pretty nasty views on Native Americans, though that would hardly be unprecedented for his time

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

StandardVC10 posted:

IIRC he had some pretty nasty views on Native Americans, though that would hardly be unprecedented for his time

Well thank gently caress

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Southerners being aghast at him 😱 ~Destroying Property~ 😱 is a sign that he at least did some good things.

I didn’t know about the hating Native Americans thing, tho, that’s bad. Not surprising, but still bad.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Wendigee posted:

Rained shells on Atlanta for 5 weeks.

agreed. Should have been 10.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sherman should have desolated the South so badly that not only were carpetbaggers welcomed as relief corps but no one was there to receive them.

gently caress all traitors forever.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
I am of the opinion that confederate monuments should be replaced with statues of Gen Sherman. Idiots still get a racist monument, but also a reminder of what happens when the south gets too uppity.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
stopped burning the South

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
as mentioned he hated the indians. he also didnt care for the slaves he was liberating. He also was offered to join the south but knew the north would kick their rear end so he probably was just doing a good job so the ice terminators didnt put him against the wall.

and for my hot take the south is every non NE and western coastal state and its actually infecting those areas and soon we will all be southerners.

snergle fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 10, 2020

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
This

Big Beef City posted:

Sherman should have desolated the South so badly that not only were carpetbaggers welcomed as relief corps but no one was there to receive them.

gently caress all traitors forever.

And this

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

stopped burning the South

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i think this is pretty well settled: the indian stuff.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Jastiger was not very right about many things, or even most things, or 99 percent of things, but he was onto something with his raging hate of the South.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well the horrible things he did paled in comparison to the horrible things America did to its enemies for the next hundred years, and it does seem like he largely stuck to destroying property (not that this undoubtedly did not involve killing many people as well), so you know, overall, pretty terrible outside of a war context and pretty standard within one.

I suspect this view is also 100% related to where your family lived at the time. My ancestor who burned up the South in Sherman's forces named his son in Sherman's honor, and if you can imagine that sort of cast the whole thing in a positive light in my family

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Can we also bring back General Grant and have him order Sherman to burn and reclaim Ohio back in his honor?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I got sent to Fort Benning on some bullshit detail with a kid from Boston named Sherman. Turns out the rednecks in the area are still salty about their great grandparents getting their rear end whupped

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I got sent to Fort Benning on some bullshit detail with a kid from Boston named Sherman. Turns out the rednecks in the area are still salty about their great grandparents getting their rear end whupped

The only saw those geezers don't know is "don't pick at it or it won't heal".

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Here is how the South’s racism and rebelliousness should have been dealt with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubNqUyf0op0&feature=emb_logo

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Sherman's march to the sea was vilified after the fact by lost cause types. His written orders were to only plunder estates of the rich people who financed and backed the war, and otherwise the destruction targeted potential military infrastructure like railroads.

"How dare they target civilians?" Was an intentionally misleading sentiment that is pretty much all anyone knows anymore

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

ikanreed posted:

Sherman's march to the sea was vilified after the fact by lost cause types. His written orders were to only plunder estates of the rich people who financed and backed the war, and otherwise the destruction targeted potential military infrastructure like railroads.

"How dare they target civilians?" Was an intentionally misleading sentiment that is pretty much all anyone knows anymore

he also was a pussy who skipped over alot of rich plantations. i live on a street in nc full of old plantation houses at the end of his march. like i said he knew the north would win and was just doing a good enough job to avoid the wall. ironically the north never wanted to put anyone to the wall because like sherman they are also a bunch of pussies.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Like most ok-ish historical leaders his main fault is not killing enough people who deserved it if you really think about it

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

blue lives matter and dark grey ones don't

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
He was himself a pretty virulent racist but Im glad he did the right things even if they were for the wrong reasons.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

How do we print this into like a pdf and have someone drop it off anonymously on parler lol

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

He may not have been a good man .. but he was a great man.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8kSUDp2BC0

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

gently caress you Andrew Johnson.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

They just told me Gen. Sherman was a white supremacist and basically just destroyed the south because he was told to and followed his orders......

I don't care I would like statues of him in the south. To replace the ones that were removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Junk posted: