Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

TheAardvark posted:

weird of them to print your last doctor's visit in this book

yeah its weird I never got a bill, im starting to wonder if that guy was a doctor or what all those webcams were about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Page 177, sentence 56

Pick posted:

"In general, the law has traditionally permitted next-of-kin to have greater authority to prevent an official autopsy after burial than before because concerns as to the sanctity of the sepulcher or grave prohibited disturbing the final resting place, except in the most extreme circumstances."

Topick: body exhumation to determine cause of death

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 13, 2021

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Pick posted:

Image page! Your previous page 211 contains, ""Many drugs can be detected by analysis of the hair shaft and allow for an approximate timeline of when drugs were used."

Going to guess this is from the chapter on toxicology reports.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ExecuDork posted:

Page 803
Line 16

Pick posted:

Image page! However, enough caption. "The hemohorrage into the upper eyelid occurred as a result of slipping and striking the floor when the body was being cut down."

Hmmm... I'm going to go with how to distinguish between injuries before and after death, and maybe how to determine how much time has passed between death and finding / examining the body.

Also, the scene in my head that plays when I read that sentence is pretty funny.
"Careful! Careful I said!"
"Sorry boss I'm trying" *grunts*
*rope finally parts under the blunt knife*
*THUD*
"Goddammit I told you to be careful!"

Pick posted:

It's actually an earlier sentence than that with some explanation, but it's "The first is that a few bloodstains do not a pattern make!" This is the first exclamation point I've seen in this book which is saying a lot.
Change it slightly to The first rule is that a few bloodstains do not a pattern make! and it becomes some A-tier under-the-AV-text for some goon. I'm not reserving it for myself, but I might take it sometime in the near-ish future if I find myself on the forums some Friday or Saturday night with a bottle or two of wine in my system.
Thank you! Is there a third rule of most beatings?

Pick posted:

I'm partially doing this to explore the book, so the answer is... probably?
I love this.
Pick: "I have a great idea for approaching this enormous and intimidating book!"
*posts this thread*
Almost immediately: "Oh poo poo that entire chapter is just wall-to-wall DEAD CHILDREN"
*glues a hundred pages together* "Do not enter here. This is not a place of honour"

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Yo I get it, this thread has dropped off the front page but yo, check it, I got me three dogs in a row for guessing how some folks died and I got me two of them dogs. I want that third dog and I have a right to that third dog.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I will accept half a prize. Thank you, Pick.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Prizes are coming, thank you for your patience!

And remember, don't die in a Monday one way!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Oh poo poo this should still be stuck whoops

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Pick, I'd love some book recommendations, or also from anyone else. I did enjoy Mary Roach but I just haven't read enough on weird body stuff this year.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pick posted:

"Pseudo-tattooing is the term used to describe tatting produced by something other than gunpowder."

death by explosions

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

death by explosions

Tatting. I'm imagining a shot-shell actuated doily maker. Insert shot-shell, close breech, pull string. BAM! Out falls a lace coaster.

Someone puts their dick in it, it ends up in this book.,

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Pick posted:

"Until the development of the medical examiner system, Dallas County had had ten Justices of the Peace who conducted death investigations with autopsies being performed only if deemed necessary."

This seems like a trick question but I'm gonna go with the history of post mortem examination.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Eat the evidence, Pick.

Just joking, maybe eat the eggs instead. Unless they're evidence. Like in a human womb. :cry:

Graphic corpse photos, piled high. Too brutal for me, I didn't read past the first post, but enjoy I guess.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I saw a guy get shot in the lung and die in real life. It was really gross. Something happened with his mouth that I can't explain. It looked kind of like his lips swelled up enormously to where they didn't look like lips anymore, then deflated but stayed stretched out and draped across his face instead of shrinking back down. It could also have been something from inside his mouth/gullet, but I have no idea. Anyone know what the heck this was?

Also, page 111, sentence 11, if that section hasn't been done - or just something random

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I saw a guy get shot in the lung and die in real life. It was really gross. Something happened with his mouth that I can't explain. It looked kind of like his lips swelled up enormously to where they didn't look like lips anymore, then deflated but stayed stretched out and draped across his face instead of shrinking back down. It could also have been something from inside his mouth/gullet, but I have no idea. Anyone know what the heck this was?

Whoa.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

subpar anachronism posted:

Pick, I'd love some book recommendations, or also from anyone else. I did enjoy Mary Roach but I just haven't read enough on weird body stuff this year.

Caitlin Doughty's "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" and "From Here to Eternity" are full of that sort of thing, as is her youtube channel, Ask a Mortician.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Caitlin Doughty's "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" and "From Here to Eternity" are full of that sort of thing, as is her youtube channel, Ask a Mortician.

Read both of these already, would definitely recommend them to anyone else interested as well!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

subpar anachronism posted:

What of Mary Roach's have you read already? I understand why Pick doesn't like Mary Roach's style of writing, but I enjoy it. Grunt, all about soldiers and their injuries and everything else about soldiers that isn't directly related to weapons, was pretty good. There's plenty in there about weird injuries, novel surgical techniques, and fun things to do with a corpse in the name of SCIENCE!. I read Grunt a few months ago, consider this a recommendation at 3.5 out of 5.

And seconding/thirding Caitlin Doughty, I read Smoke Gets in Your Eyes a couple of years ago and I sometimes watch one or two of her youtube videos while I'm eating lunch at work.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I think she mentions it in Stiff, but The Unrepentant Necropgile is a great read. It's based an interview with Karen Greenlee, a former mortician convicted of necrophilia. It's a pretty interesting dive into the psychology of necrophilia from the POV of the perpetrator.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wow thats hosed I wonder if there's an audiobook

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I couldn't find a stand-alone book called The Unrepentant Necrophile but apparently it's an interview within the anthology Apocalypse Culture - which I have just added to my Amazon wish list. I guess there will be an evening - most likely involving a bottle or two of wine - in which my drunk-Amazon-shopping will result in a few books about death, dying, and the people who love both.

fake edit: there's a sequel! But it's currently stupidly expensive.

Some Amazon Reviewer posted:

I loved the first book,but found little in here to care about.The Bobby B piece is interesting as are a couple other parts but,overall this just doesn't jive with me.I don't care about pedophaelia or Jonestown.Ugh.
I'm guessing there are a few goons who DO care about "pedophaelia" and/or Jonestown.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Is Pick ever coming back to give us more hosed up excerpts?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

What of Mary Roach's have you read already? I understand why Pick doesn't like Mary Roach's style of writing, but I enjoy it. Grunt, all about soldiers and their injuries and everything else about soldiers that isn't directly related to weapons, was pretty good. There's plenty in there about weird injuries, novel surgical techniques, and fun things to do with a corpse in the name of SCIENCE!. I read Grunt a few months ago, consider this a recommendation at 3.5 out of 5.

And seconding/thirding Caitlin Doughty, I read Smoke Gets in Your Eyes a couple of years ago and I sometimes watch one or two of her youtube videos while I'm eating lunch at work.

I've read all of Roach's and Doughty's stuff, I follow her youtube channel as well :) she's really a treasure. I'll add Apocalypse Culture to my to-read lest.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Is Pick ever coming back to give us more hosed up excerpts?

Oops yeah I forgot to bookmark this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Pick posted:

Oops yeah I forgot to bookmark this lol

So... when you made this post, did you forget again? My morbid curiosity needs to be sated!