Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What's the song at the end of episode 9? It's really fitting for getting in the mood to have some good community spirit. That was a nice choice by the music department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just watched episode 6 and those last five minutes were so intense and insane and hilarious holy poo poo

What the gently caress is even happening??????

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I've completed the series. And um... this season was quite the loving ride. It's fitting that Michael Showalter wrote a lot of the show. This season was on par with his early work, Wet Hot American Summer, suddenly devolving into a plot where they had to save the camp from a falling space station.

The ending is absolutely divorced from any grounded reality, but I'm still glad I watched it.

If I came away with one thing from the series as a whole, especially in the final season: Holy poo poo these writers despise social media influencers and self-important people.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doronin posted:

It's fitting that Michael Showalter wrote a lot of the show.

Pretty sure he only worked on two scripts, both way back at the beginning of the show.

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla

Open Source Idiom posted:

My favourite thing about this, is that the show shelled out for a bunch of character actors just to turn up, do the ridiculous joke, and then peace out.

:same: Every single character leaves an impression, even if they only have a line or two. It's such a perfectly cast show.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Finished S5, but not sure what I think about it overall; I'll need to watch it again. Chantal was great and the ending scene was perfect.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Jesper Society show when?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I loved the complete detachment from anything approaching reality in the last season. It's not quite the same, but it reminds me of a reverse Moral Orel.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Chantle

Nichael posted:

I loved the complete detachment from anything approaching reality in the last season. It's not quite the same, but it reminds me of a reverse Moral Orel.

I loved the increasingly insane names they'd give to people. Laughed out loud at "Hi, I'm Dr. Baby"

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Running through multiple genres in five seasons is pretty rad to watch, but I think I liked the super-stylized murder mystery/very bad things vibe of season 1 the most looking back as a whole.

Love that even the "darkest" season (4) still has a lot of hilarious moments.

The long wait between seasons did this show no favors but adds to the whole disjointed narrative thing, watching this show in a start to finish session must be surreal as gently caress

Also shout out to the music choices, one of the few shows that had me looking up songs after a watch more than once.

RIP Search Party, I can't say I saw you ending with a season-long roast of millennials and manifest culture but honestly, it makes too much sense given every character on this thing

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 15, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
season-long? literally the entire show was a roast of millennials. that’s like the main bent of the thing

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I adored the snippy little fight between Dory and Chantal at the end. While Dory is definitely a fuckup, at least she's the main character so she's likeable in an antihero sort of way. Chantal just straight-up sucks and is so beautifully hateable.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What year were living in in the end? Both pre-outbreak and post-outbreak? (Was curious about the autopilot cars).

Also, where did Elliot get all his money from? Was it from his right wing TV show host days?

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Looten Plunder posted:

What year were living in in the end? Both pre-outbreak and post-outbreak? (Was curious about the autopilot cars).

Also, where did Elliot get all his money from? Was it from his right wing TV show host days?

I think there may have been a quick line saying he got paid really well when he had his TV show.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I think there may have been a quick line saying he got paid really well when he had his TV show.

At the end of season 4 he explains that he has made a licensing deal for a lime of guns. A bit later he talks about how that warehouse blew up and how he was using to get lots of money out of it. He acts as if he feels bad about it, to get sympathy from Drew and Portia. That was when they decided to ditch Dory.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Well that was loving insane. I've never seen a show jump the shark like this and I mean that as a compliment. I was expecting a Jonestown ending, not a zombie apocalypse. The parallels of Dory looking at Chantal's missing poster from season one to her looking at the entire wall of missing people and feeling nothing was dark. She is so evil.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man I interpreted that as she was going to start looking for missing people again but I think you might be right :(

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Oh, she was most definitely content and not not giving a poo poo.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm happy for her.
At the start, her life kinda sucked. But through effort and friendship she made a fundamental change. And who can say that for themselves? It's undeniable, that her life made an impact on the world and that's what she always wanted.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 16, 2022

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Well that certainly was an ending. I loved this season on a conceptual level. More shows need to get batshit insane in their final seasons, especially if they are probably one season too long.

Funniest moment of the whole season was the military guy detaining Portia because she has no brain. “Nope, look in her eyes, there’s nothing in there”

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
In the end this show ended up being about a sad millenials desperate search for meaning, through a series of wild misadventures and poor decision making, leading to a zombie apocalypse and I find that a special kind of genius.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Just binged this whole show over a couple weeks, what a ride. It was really impressive to me how they were able to shift genres so wildly and so often without ever devolving into pure parody or just, ironic detachment or whatever. Like, there were moments where I wondered what the hell they could be planning overall, but it never lost its commitment to the moment and that's really important with how absurd it gets. And after completing it I really think it somehow all did work weirdly well as a whole story.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
What a weird way to end the show. I think I am just going to pretend like Dory died at the end of season 4 and this was just a dream.

Did they ever resolve how Elliot and Marc's son was supernatural?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Sock The Great posted:

Did they ever resolve how Elliot and Marc's son was supernatural?
He was the best boy, because was the first boy they made.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think the last season really leaned into the idea that everyone you encounter is stuck in their own stupid little movie. Dory's desire to be the main character of her own story had disastrous consequences, but we're shown all these other possible terrible paths and it feels like Dory didn't really start the fire you know?

So, Aspen is some weird little Antichrist kid, obviously... he's "the first they made," maybe referring to him being an artificial creation for sale by corporations? Meanwhile Chantal is buying into Terminator + Q Anon, the Jesper society has to get the gang back together, the Duchess's mom casually mentions that their home town is commonly believed to be a portal to Hell...

Dory is pretty bad in a lot of ways, but I think from the first season the show was really committing to the idea that she wasn't actually the primary cause of all the bad poo poo. Her story just happened to keep getting kind of hijacked (or at least used) by awful white people in ways that turned out horribly. Like, yes, she gave out the pills that caused the zombie apocalypse... but Tunnel had the lab full of the tools to create it, it was managed with complete negligence, and they literally pointed out that horrible biological weapons could easily be created from what he gathered there. So I guess I view Aspen's subplot as, maybe he was another potential Antichrist, but there were many paths leading to this result.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Martman posted:

So, Aspen is some weird little Antichrist kid, obviously... he's "the first they made," maybe referring to him being an artificial creation for sale by corporations? Meanwhile Chantal is buying into Terminator + Q Anon, the Jesper society has to get the gang back together, the Duchess's mom casually mentions that their home town is commonly believed to be a portal to Hell...

I was kinda hoping it would turn out that the Jesper Society was looking for Aspen, but no one would ever put the dots together because Drew extremely didn't care about their drama and Elliot never mentioned all the freaky poo poo Aspen was up to. That may still be my headcanon.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Funniest moment of the whole season was the military guy detaining Portia because she has no brain. “Nope, look in her eyes, there’s nothing in there”

She's just leggy!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Finally saw the last two episodes. Dug the new version of Obedear at the end.

Laughed at a quick prop gag: in episode 9 when Dory and Drew are eating grilled cheese at the diner, the ketchup bottles were baby bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Fartington Butts posted:

Finally saw the last two episodes. Dug the new version of Obedear at the end.

Laughed at a quick prop gag: in episode 9 when Dory and Drew are eating grilled cheese at the diner, the ketchup bottles were baby bottles.

That was the baby hot sauce that Connor Ratcliff's character created