Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Mazerunner posted:

butt towards enemy, with eye stalks turned to provide vision

Or lordosis position, get their head down so they can have better reach and not get themselves. Or running slashing attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

StashAugustine posted:

The thing that always bugged me is that I could never really picture how they fought with the tails in a way that makes sense

the tails were supposed to be wicked fuckin long, like stupidly so, but everyone drew them not that long

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

There's always a challenge with child soldier stories of how you make the 'child' part at all relatable to the target audience of "kids who are going to school and shoplifting and crap." Cuz having child soldiers in your child soldier story live in the sorts of scenarios that actual child soldiers do - that is to say, living in an army camp that is in all likelihood even more dysfunctional than usual, to put it very minimally - is no good, or at least makes a very different sort of story. So having them fight a shadowy conspiracy where all the major players have an interest in keeping it under wraps, or at least low-key enough that the basic civic life of things like high school, is a decent enough solution the problem.

Psycho Landlord posted:

the tails were supposed to be wicked fuckin long, like stupidly so, but everyone drew them not that long

so like how iguanas whip things with their tails?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

For the record in the books Andalites don't actually "eat," the grass with their foot mouths, when they run over grass and crush it they absorb nutrients without actually ingesting the plant matter.

Although I recall they actually DO drink through their legs so they've got some kind of piping in there.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Now that's what I was talking about with needing thicker legs to fit the ingestion equipment! Although I never thought of how horrifying footmouths would be. Weird that if the writer had a more deerlike idea in mind they never tried clarifying with the publisher and whatever artist that was hired.

The footmouths were a weird thing. Because there are multiple times where the fact that andalites can't control what it eats is an important plot point with attempting to poison visser 3.

They were almost written less like a mouth and more like a membrane.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 8, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Speleothing posted:

The footmouths were a weird thing. Because there are multiple times where the fact that andalites can't control what it eats is an important plot point with attempting to poison visser 3.

I have a memory of it not being that they couldn't control it, just that it takes a conscious effort so most of them time they wouldn't be controlling it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Tulip posted:

so like how iguanas whip things with their tails?

yes but with a katana superglued to the end of it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

StashAugustine posted:

The thing that always bugged me is that I could never really picture how they fought with the tails in a way that makes sense

I thought they stung like a scorpion, stabbing over their shoulder

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

that was a different alien.

It’s some weird rc car alien elfangor fights

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
eliimist cronicles fuckin slapped

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

BiggestBatman posted:

eliimist cronicles fuckin slapped

"My civilization was destroyed by aliens because we twitch streamed a game of Spore."

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So do earth animals exist on the andalite homeworld? Also if they are already horse people then what's the benefit of turning into like, a deer or a dog? I feel like a horse can fight as good or better than most animals. Especially as a horse person would avoid some of the normal pitfalls of idiotic regular horses like "saw a lizard and died"

nah but they had weird alien birds and stuff. they mostly used it for steath and infiltration, because their big horse bodies weren't exactly sneaky

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Who What Now posted:

I thought they stung like a scorpion, stabbing over their shoulder

Just exactly liked the Bartholomew from Reginald's awful comic strip in Nedroid.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

andalite tails are kind of bad weapons. you have to present a huge profile to your enemy to get enough range of motion even if the tail is significantly longer than usually depicted. but they are probably more for fighting other andalites so it didn't matter, evolutionarily.

Speleothing posted:

they can close their hooves and the poisoning visser 3 thing was a plot hole. some of this, i think, is because KA was all about the animals and michael grant was all about the aliens; there are more animal fact mistakes in the grant books and more alien inconsistencies in the KA books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
As an evpsych thing and also as a kid-lit thing, what you have to understand about the terribly impractical weapons-attached-to-bodies-of-the-baddies is that ultimately they are penises.

Now, like these weird scorpion tails, we can all agree that nobody loving knows how penises work. Even if you have one!

They just kind of explode and kill people and that is why no one likes you.

I am not a girl nor do I endorse being a girl, but I also have to imagine that having male appendages being exploding things is a real experience and lots of gushing and gross poo poo being a normal and expected part of puberty being another part.

Weird goat fucks make sense in that context.