Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Ah, the great river ape. See how she keeps her young in the front of the boat she constructed for protection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Yuli Ban posted:

Orangutans are a proud, mighty people

I looked this dude up recently and apparently they were trying to copy fishermen, but having a hard time. That is until they decided to use the stick to help themselves to fish that were being reeled in on a line.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Yuli Ban posted:

I can definitely see it
These apes are RIPPED

Apparently humans lost all our buff muscles like this when we evolved to become lean mean running machines. We're some of the best endurance runners on earth, but at the cost of losing being effortlessly jacked like this.

Aegis Bear posted:

Apparently we are closer to bonobos than previously thought, which would explain why we can be sexhavers, warmongers, and poo poo-flinging lunatics during either activity.

Source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170429095021.htm

Chimps and bonobos are more closely related to each other than humans, so that means that we're equally related to both of them. But they're saying that the ancestral chimp-bonobo that existed prior to the split in the two species may have been more bonobo-like that previously thought.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 2, 2021

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It’s been almost exactly 1 week since I found out about gibbons. Ok plz post more gibbon

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
bonobo boner bros

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Have any of yall read/watched the various stories of pet chimps hulking out on their "owners"

The most famous one is the NY lady who got her face eaten, but a detail you might not be familiar with from that story is that the lady's husband also got his face eaten by a random chimp that escaped when they went to visit their problem chimp at a sanctuary

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!
What about the wonderful Garbage Ape?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Jetto Jagga posted:

Have any of yall read/watched the various stories of pet chimps hulking out on their "owners"

The most famous one is the NY lady who got her face eaten, but a detail you might not be familiar with from that story is that the lady's husband also got his face eaten by a random chimp that escaped when they went to visit their problem chimp at a sanctuary

also iirc the owner of Randy the chimp had also been dosing the poor beast with Xanax, and giving him wine (separately, not together, as far as I can tell), both of which substances have unpredictable enough effects on other humans, let alone on a whole other fuckin’ hominid

except Garbage Ape, who is everyone’s cool best friend and rips nobody’s faces off

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 3, 2021

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Weren't there reports of people eating each other's faces off while high on bath salts years ago?

We are more alike than different, humans and our chimpanzee brethren

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

heh

that's a cool gibbon

wouldn't mind hangin out with him and doin those sounds

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Smugworth posted:

Weren't there reports of people eating each other's faces off while high on bath salts years ago?

We are more alike than different, humans and our chimpanzee brethren

What would happen if you gave bath salts to an ape?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Thesaurus posted:

What would happen if you gave bath salts to an ape?

They'd write the great American novel.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The last logbook entry on the Mary Celeste was
"Crew is bored. I will try to entertain them by giving bath salts to Manfred the ship ape"

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
The origins for a lot of human behaviors can be learned by studying chimpanzees and bonobos. The former are basically rightwing deathmongers while the latter are leftwing sexpests.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Laughing and clapping always stuck out to me as extremely ape. Like when we’re celebrating we slam our appendages together to make noise while we make hooting noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Jetto Jagga posted:

I'm just gonna go ahead and presume they were ape abusers and the chimp who hosed up the husband had heard all about them.