Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Just got my copy of The Culture The Drawings and haven't had a chance to even look into it. A bunch of Banks' own concept art and notes got compiled for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

chainchompz posted:

Just got my copy of The Culture The Drawings and haven't had a chance to even look into it. A bunch of Banks' own concept art and notes got compiled for it.

I've flipped through mine. A lot of the sketches are very basic outlines with some notes about numbers. Then there are some really detailed city maps. I still need to give it a thorough exploration, but I'm excited for that.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
It's been a tough year for me, and I was feeling down about it. Then I realized that I've just been...

...Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill.

(I should re-read Matter.)

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

I bought the 10-book collector set off amazon and I'm pretty sure the seller was a dropshipper who was unable to fulfill it, so they've been sending me a random dripfeed of various editions of the books for the last several weeks, which is pretty funny, got 7/10 books so far.

Also just reread Player of Games and really enjoyed it, just a fun read and a nice exploration of the premise "What if boardgames were the most important thing in the world?"

Of Surface Detail, Hydrogen Sonata, and Matter, what would be the best one?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's not gonna be a consensus on that one.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hydrogen Sonata is closest in structure to one of the middle books before Banks started to get a little hubristic in his plotting, but Surface Detail is really fun on how it gets lost in the weeds of its grand ideas sometimes. Matter is the only one where I think it doesn't stick the landing

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I really like Surface Detail. Matter had some neat stuff going on too. Hydrogen Sonata didn't catch me, but I could imagine other folks really loving it and that's fine.

They're all meanders through different parts of the Culture universe. I think Hydrogen Sonata is vaguely centered on Sublimation. Surface Detail has a lot on people existing in virtual realities. Matter is about Special Circumstances, but I don't really remember how deep it goes into those topics. Read whichever one sounds most interesting to you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

celadon posted:

I bought the 10-book collector set off amazon and I'm pretty sure the seller was a dropshipper who was unable to fulfill it, so they've been sending me a random dripfeed of various editions of the books for the last several weeks, which is pretty funny, got 7/10 books so far.

Also just reread Player of Games and really enjoyed it, just a fun read and a nice exploration of the premise "What if boardgames were the most important thing in the world?"

Matter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I always say that Hydrogen Sonata should be read last, it deals with finality and endings a lot.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

celadon posted:

There's not going to be a consensus at all, but for me it's absolutely Matter. It's a beautiful story, and with I would say the best characters in the entire Culture series. The main characters are just so drat charming, whereas in other Banks books like Hydrogen Sonata the main characters are a bit like an action movie protagonist that's there as a vehicle for the story. I really like the vibe and themes of the book too. There's a tinge of sadness to all the grand things civilisation has created, but if you don't think about what it matters, then you can lose yourself in the pursuit of rising up the ladder.

This isn't spoilery except on a plot structure basis, but be prepared that the end of the book happens very suddenly. Because of that I only really started loving the book on my first reread.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
They're all pretty good and interesting in their own ways. I might like Matter most because it almost has a Vancian feel to its setting (the shellworld). Surface Detail has a really interesting treatment of virtual worlds and how they intersect with the real world, though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Matter is good for Banks doing Shakespeare, and also for the multiply inter nested ways the title describes what's going on in the book.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Matter for sure, and seconding that Hydrogen Sonata should be read last

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 23, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sebmojo posted:

Matter is good for Banks doing Shakespeare, and also for the multiply inter nested ways the title describes what's going on in the book.

IMO Matter is actually Banks doing Don Quixote, but I agree

Matter is my fave of them, and it makes to go Matter, Surface Detail, and Hydrogen Sonata should unequivocally be the last one

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Barry Foster posted:

IMO Matter is actually Banks doing Don Quixote, but I agree

Matter is my fave of them, and it makes to go Matter, Surface Detail, and Hydrogen Sonata should unequivocally be the last one

Oh good call. it's [classic master/servant hijinks literature], there are a bunch.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Oh wow, yeah, that's why the servant is there

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Woo Merry Christmas

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

JOHN SKELETON posted:

There's not going to be a consensus at all, but for me it's absolutely Matter. It's a beautiful story, and with I would say the best characters in the entire Culture series. The main characters are just so drat charming, whereas in other Banks books like Hydrogen Sonata the main characters are a bit like an action movie protagonist that's there as a vehicle for the story. I really like the vibe and themes of the book too. There's a tinge of sadness to all the grand things civilisation has created, but if you don't think about what it matters, then you can lose yourself in the pursuit of rising up the ladder.

This isn't spoilery except on a plot structure basis, but be prepared that the end of the book happens very suddenly. Because of that I only really started loving the book on my first reread.

Woo that loving rocked and yeah the ending came on way faster than you expect and at least in my copy theres a big ol' appendix so you dont think its the end yet and it makes it really impactful

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

celadon posted:

Woo that loving rocked

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I was googling Culture stuff and I came across State of the Art fully voice acted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRl9D_agLbU

I got a kick out of it, hopefully someone else does too.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I was googling Culture stuff and I came across State of the Art fully voice acted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRl9D_agLbU

I got a kick out of it, hopefully someone else does too.

Thanks! I quite enjoyed that.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Lol. I just re-read Matter, and like the thread said, it acquits itself much better on a second read. I could appreciate its spiraling symmetry, and felt like I saw a great set of parallels between tyl Losep and the Iln object. Both are tyrants ever so sure they see the bigger picture and have the force and cruelty to master it. Tyl Losep monologues to the king as he cruelly murders him, the Iln remnant monologues to Djan... - just so much easier to appreciate it.

There's also a lot of subtle consistencies in it. It really all adds up in the finale: Holse and Xlyde talk about the influence of the tiniest malfunctions and decisions on the entire outcome. Liveware Problem fudges its breakneck approach to Sursamen with at a speed with an engine failure chance of 1/250 vice 1/100, which winds up costing them precious moments later on.

Everyone (but Holse and Ferbin) always knows just a bit more than they're letting on, even to the very end: The Iln are presented early on as a mysterious force that no one really understands. In the final sequence, LP and Djan clearly know exactly what the Iln object is going to try to do, and how it'll destroy the Shellworld. The Xinthian's role goes from being completely unknown to critical as she talks about how they need to attack before the Iln creates more antimatter than the Xinthian can defuse. Man, what a densely meaningful finale.

Probably the best moment on the second pass was with Oramen towards the end: Even as naive as he is, and his entire species is, he's actually better equipped to handle this little Outside Context Problem than his Oct "mentors." Since they're just so sure of their place at the top of the universe, and all. It works perfectly with his memory of the king's philosophical musing to him about how the Sarl's strength is that they still have worlds to conquer.

After this one, I can finally admit I love one of the more tired tropes in sci-fi/fantasy: I love the "Ancient Evil In A Can." Banks makes fun of it in a couple books, but I can't get enough Hegemonizing Swarm Objects that we found by digging just a little too deep.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yes! Love that book, particularly the way the title itself is a kind of Shell world, with its contrasting meanings of physical matter, what matters to us, do we matter.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yeah it's a great illustration of what makes Banks a standout author in the genre. He's not usually telling a groundbreaking type of story, but he's doing it with a lot more care, self awareness, and style than most.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I do think that the latter books are a bit too big though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
One thing I reacted to in Matter was all the royals ended up dead and only the butler made it through.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

One thing I reacted to in Matter was all the royals ended up dead and only the butler made it through.

Well, Djan Seriy Anaplian would've been restored from backup.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Picked the series up a little over a year ago and so far I've read up through Inversions. Player of Games is definitely the stand out, but Use of Weapons was also quite good. The rest are still good imo but they didn't quite stand up to those two.

Struggling to decide if I want to continue or switch to some fantasy now as Inversions was really scratching that itch... maybe I missed something elsewhere but is the two words in the epilogue of Inversions really the only link to the Culture?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Suran37 posted:

Picked the series up a little over a year ago and so far I've read up through Inversions. Player of Games is definitely the stand out, but Use of Weapons was also quite good. The rest are still good imo but they didn't quite stand up to those two.

Struggling to decide if I want to continue or switch to some fantasy now as Inversions was really scratching that itch... maybe I missed something elsewhere but is the two words in the epilogue of Inversions really the only link to the Culture?

There’re a lot of hidden references in the stories the two agents tell, etc., but the biggest link is the doctor’s dagger, which is actually a knife missile.

edit: And her speaking to it in what is presumably Marian.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah there was a rather vague story about her past she was telling him one evening. I think they were outside, under the stars during the story.

A good clue in there, iirc

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Ahh right I did think the dagger was a knife missile. It took me a few months to get through Inversions as reading hasn't been a priority lately so I've probably forgotten a good chunk of the book TBH.

Anyway I'm continuing on with the series, I'd like to finish it before I move on to something else. I have so many half finished series that I should just finish it or I'll never come back haha

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 19, 2024

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

I finished Inversions a couple days ago as the last one I had left to go and I really liked it, it’s a very cool alternate viewpoint into The Culture but also I think it works best if you read most of the other books beforehand. There’s a lot of somewhat subtle and interesting stuff you’d defo miss if it was your second after Phlebas, for example. That sort of thing that’s going on in the book could be happening all over the place all the time with basically noone knowing which is crazy to think about.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

"Iain M Banks, Inversions posted:

‘I think it might be time for a story,’ Perrund said, and pulled the boy back to a sitting position. ‘DeWar?’
DeWar sat and thought for a moment. ‘Well,’ he said, ‘it’s not much of a story, but it is a story of sorts.’

‘Then tell it.’

‘It is suitable for the boy?’ Huesse asked.

‘I shall make it so.’ DeWar sat forward and shifted his sword and dagger. ‘Once upon a time there was a magical land where every man was a king, every woman a queen, each boy a prince and all girls princesses. In this land there were no hungry people and no crippled people.’

‘Were there any poor people?’ asked Lattens.

‘That depends what you mean. In a way no, because they could all have any amount of riches they wanted, but in a way yes, for there were people who chose to have nothing. Their hearts’ desire was to be free from owning anything, and they usually preferred to stay in the desert or in the mountains or the forests, living in caves or trees or just wandering around. Some lived in the great cities, where they too just roved about. But wherever they chose to wander, the decision was always theirs.’

‘Were they holy people?’ Lattens asked.

‘Well, in a way, maybe.’

‘Were they all handsome and beautiful, too?’ Huesse asked.

‘Again, that depends what you mean by beautiful,’ DeWar said apologetically. Perrund sighed with exasperation. ‘Some people see a sort of beauty in ugliness,’ DeWar said. ‘And if everybody is beautiful there is something singular in being ugly, or just plain. But, generally, yes, everybody was as beautiful as they wanted to be.’

‘So many ifs and buts,’ Perrund said. ‘This sounds a very equivocal land.’

‘In a way,’ DeWar smiled. Perrund hit him with a cushion. ‘Sometimes,’ DeWar continued, ‘as people in the land brought more of it under cultivation—’

‘What was the name of the land?’ Lattens interrupted.

‘Oh . . . Lavishia, of course. Anyway, sometimes the citizens of Lavishia would discover whole groups of people who lived a bit like the wanderers, that is, like the poor or holy people in their own land, but who did not have the choice of living like that. Such people lived like that because they had to. These were people who hadn’t had the advantages in life the people of Lavishia were used to. In fact, dealing with such people soon became the biggest problem the people of Lavishia had.’

‘What? They had no war, famine, pestilence, taxes?’ Perrund asked.

‘None. And no real likelihood of the last three.’

‘I feel my credulity being stretched,’ Perrund muttered.

‘So in Lavishia everybody was happy?’ Huesse asked.

‘As happy as they could be,’ DeWar said. ‘People still managed to make their own unhappinesses, as people always do.’

Perrund nodded. ‘Now it begins to sound plausible.’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Inversions is my favourite thing of his, I never tire of rereading it.