Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I have read this thread with Ozzie Man's voice in my head.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

It's false because it's nonsense mostly. Adelaide isn't even a real place, look it up.

Stoner Sloth

Mormon Nailer posted:

It's false because it's nonsense mostly. Adelaide isn't even a real place, look it up.

Adelaide? more like Radelaide!

Stoner Sloth

alright my fellow orbs - here's some more possible aussie idioms coming in hot and fresh from the arse end of the world!

1. she'll be apples
2. banana bender
3. not within cooee
4. crack a fat
5. dingo's breakfast
6. fremantle doctor
7. hooley dooley
8. jumbuck
9.hooroo
10. ridgy-didge
11. gungaflog
12. rip snorter

and a bonus

13. pig's arse

are any of these real? and if so what do they mean?

nut

rip snorter is not real because if it was it’d be rippa snortah

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Stoner Sloth posted:

alright my fellow orbs - here's some more possible aussie idioms coming in hot and fresh from the arse end of the world!

1. she'll be apples
2. banana bender
3. not within cooee
4. crack a fat
5. dingo's breakfast
6. fremantle doctor
7. hooley dooley
8. jumbuck
9.hooroo
10. ridgy-didge
11. gungaflog
12. rip snorter

and a bonus

13. pig's arse

Full disclosure: I'm a pommie and my bestie married an Aussie lass, so I have a headstart on 'strine vernacular (I'm sure I only know a small amount of it though)

1. It'll be fine
2. someone from QLD lol
3. a long way away
4. lol this one is :nws:
5. going hungry
6. not heard this before
7. or this one
8. One of AUs most prominent species, the humble sheep
9. another one I don't know
10. this phrase is ridgy-didge alright
11. this one is definitely not ridgy-didge
12. something very good or exceptional
13. is no 11 proper aussie slang? Pig's arse

Manifisto

Stoner Sloth posted:

1. she'll be apples
2. banana bender
3. not within cooee
4. crack a fat
5. dingo's breakfast
6. fremantle doctor
7. hooley dooley
8. jumbuck
9.hooroo
10. ridgy-didge
11. gungaflog
12. rip snorter

and a bonus

13. pig's arse

last time I said all fake (wrongly), this time I'm saying all real

1. they'll get better (after "apple a day")
2. vegetarian diet
3. nowhere close
4. open a beer, especially a big one
5. dead
6. drug dealer
7. a very religious type
8. lively, active ("she's positively jumbuck this morning")
9. spooky ("that 'ouse is well hooroo mate")
10. okay, as in "roger dodger"
11. intoxicated (this is my default answer for most slang tbh)
12. a good/wild time
13. spectacular, wonderful

ty nesamdoom!

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Stoner Sloth posted:

2. banana bender

I swear I've seen this as a German insult for someone with a meaningless job or something like that

NumptyScrub

nesamdoom posted:

I swear I've seen this as a German insult for someone with a meaningless job or something like that

drat, now you mention it I think there is one about someone who measures the bend on a banana

British slang has "chocolate fireguard" and "ashtray on a motorbike" for similar useless things

alnilam

Hooroo is deffo real (ridgey didge?) but i forgie what it meansie

Stoner Sloth

NumptyScrub posted:

drat, now you mention it I think there is one about someone who measures the bend on a banana

British slang has "chocolate fireguard" and "ashtray on a motorbike" for similar useless things

we also have 'useless as tits on a bull/mule'

NumptyScrub

nesamdoom posted:

I looked it up and it literally is "Bananenbieger" or "banana bender"

Dein deutsch is besser als meins :buddy:

biosterous

NumptyScrub posted:

a show about being the only useless person in the entire world

everyone else is very competent and treats them as a very interesting novelty

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

NumptyScrub posted:

Ich lerne. Ich kenne klein Deutsch.
It's just kinda funny to see the same thing used in English.

A:
I'd watch for this

biosterous posted:

a show about being the only useless person in the entire world

everyone else is very competent and treats them as a very interesting novelty

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

Hooroo is deffo real (ridgey didge?) but i forgie what it meansie

my brain keeps completing it as "hooroo.com"

. . . which actually appears to be an active website, interesting

ty nesamdoom!

Stoner Sloth

Stoner Sloth posted:

1. she'll be apples
2. banana bender
3. not within cooee
4. crack a fat
5. dingo's breakfast
6. fremantle doctor
7. hooley dooley
8. jumbuck
9.hooroo
10. ridgy-didge
11. gungaflog
12. rip snorter

and a bonus

13. pig's arse

alright some good guesses here - and now for some answers!

1. it'll be alright, things will work out
2. a person from queensland (also lol at the additional meaning someone pointed out here, that is rad) because queensland grows a lot of bananas
3. far away or not even close - can be used for distance or metaphorically 'that isn't within cooee of being acceptable'
4. to get an erection
5. to wake up, have a yawn, take a piss and take a look around - no food involved
6. the fremantle doctor is a cooling sea breeze that hits the western australian city of Perth on summer afternoons coming in from the direction of Freemantle
7. aussie version of holy moly - an exclamation of surprise
8. a sheep - most famously from a song about stealing them called 'waltzing matilda'
9. goodbye
10. authentic, honest, genuine article
11. this one is fake, i made it up
12. brilliant, great or fantastic - 'that was a real rip snorter of a party the other week!'

and our bonus number

13. no way, not a chance, i disagree, that's full of poo poo - 'give you five bucks for that lamp?' 'pig's arse you will! it's worth at least twenty!'

the reason for the bonus there is that it was most famously used by ex-LNP politician and long time president of Carlton football club John Elliot who died the day i put up these idioms. he was heavily satirized back in the day by a show called 'rubbery figures' (a term meaning manipulated accounting especially by government) which used puppets to make fun of political leaders of the day. never agree with the guys politics but seemed appropriate to include

thank you all for playing, stay tuned for more idioms soon!

selan dyin

Stoner Sloth posted:

okay got a few terms for today

1. bodgie
2. carrying on like a pork chop
3. to get the rough end of the pineapple
4. on the wallaby
5. to come the raw prawn

tell me whether you think any of these are real and what you think they might mean!

ill be honest even as an australian ive never heard on the wallaby so thanks!

Stoner Sloth

BALLS DILDO posted:

ill be honest even as an australian ive never heard on the wallaby so thanks!

no wuckers mate!

yeah it's an old one - i think it's from the 19th century originally but i have seen it in newspapers in the last five-ten years, definitely not as common as it used to be tho

also feel free to join in with your own possibly made up idioms and facts!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I have attempted to explain a "bogan's BBQ" (I last heard that used a looooong time ago) to people before but they just kind of look at me funny because they don't actually believe anyone would use old tyres to cook roo and yet

Western Australia vOv even people from WA don't fuckin get WA

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Stoner Sloth posted:

a show called 'rubbery figures'
That's a genius name for such a show. (The UK's one was called "Spitting Image" which doesn't have any fun connotations about government corruption *or* really describe the puppets.)

NumptyScrub

Oh holy lol trust the Aussies to come up with the literal best name for a Spitting Image type show, that is a rip snorter of a title

cruft

This absolutely rules.

Manifisto

Stoner Sloth posted:

alright some good guesses here - and now for some answers!

1. it'll be alright, things will work out
2. a person from queensland (also lol at the additional meaning someone pointed out here, that is rad) because queensland grows a lot of bananas
3. far away or not even close - can be used for distance or metaphorically 'that isn't within cooee of being acceptable'
4. to get an erection
5. to wake up, have a yawn, take a piss and take a look around - no food involved
6. the fremantle doctor is a cooling sea breeze that hits the western australian city of Perth on summer afternoons coming in from the direction of Freemantle
7. aussie version of holy moly - an exclamation of surprise
8. a sheep - most famously from a song about stealing them called 'waltzing matilda'
9. goodbye
10. authentic, honest, genuine article
11. this one is fake, i made it up
12. brilliant, great or fantastic - 'that was a real rip snorter of a party the other week!'

and our bonus number

13. no way, not a chance, i disagree, that's full of poo poo - 'give you five bucks for that lamp?' 'pig's arse you will! it's worth at least twenty!'

the reason for the bonus there is that it was most famously used by ex-LNP politician and long time president of Carlton football club John Elliot who died the day i put up these idioms. he was heavily satirized back in the day by a show called 'rubbery figures' (a term meaning manipulated accounting especially by government) which used puppets to make fun of political leaders of the day. never agree with the guys politics but seemed appropriate to include

thank you all for playing, stay tuned for more idioms soon!

hey I was vaguely right on a few! guess that makes me an honorary outback mouseketeer, as we strayans say.

ty nesamdoom!

Jaguars!

I have one. What is the difference between a cockie in Australia and a cockie in NZ? Neither means acting arrogantly, which is also common to both places.

Hint: User Displeased Moo Cow is considered a cockie in NZ.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying, Jesus

Stoner Sloth

alright friends, it's time for another edition of Australian idioms with Stoner Sloth!

here's some more possible aussie idioms that you can decide if they're real or not and if so what they might mean!!

1. aerial ping-pong
2. dobbing
3. flash as a rat with a gold tooth
4. donkey vote
5. trackie daks
6. yakka
7. gnell
8. wowser
9. uey
10. stoush
11. dingo in the crib
12. spunk rat
13. chuck a sickie

have fun guessing!

Manifisto

1. fake. if it's real, it means swatting flies.
2. fake. if it's real, it means playing hooky.
3. real. ironically it means fake, pretentious
4. fake. if it's real, it means the opinions of anyone in the back seat of a car.
5. fake. if it's real, it means sneakers/running shoes.
6. fake, if it were real it would be "yakka dakka" or something like that. if it's real, it means yakitori/skewered food.
7. fake. if it's real, it's short for "good nelly" which is an exclamation like "good grief!"
8. fake!
9. fake!!
10. real. it's the australian way of saying "stash," hidden trove
11. fake.
12. fake!
13. real. it means to do a good one, to perform well.

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

Stoner Sloth posted:

alright friends, it's time for another edition of Australian idioms with Stoner Sloth!

here's some more possible aussie idioms that you can decide if they're real or not and if so what they might mean!!

1. aerial ping-pong
2. dobbing
4. donkey vote
5. trackie daks
6. yakka
7. gnell
8. wowser
9. uey
10. stoush
11. dingo in the crib
12. spunk rat
13. chuck a sickie

have fun guessing!

1. Real, radio interference / static noises
2. fake
3. real, implying something bad dressed up as something good, or as mark twain might put it, gilded poo poo
4. Real, i like manifisto's interp of someone irrelevant's opinion that won't be listened to
5. Real, running shoes
6. real, i just feel it in my bones that this one is real but have no guess what it is
7. Fake
8. This one isn't even strictly strayan! Means wow
9. Real, hey/oi/gday
10. Fake
11. Real, fox in the henhouse
12. Real, lively/energetic person who is rough around the edges
13. Real, puke

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
A tradie might chuck a sickie in order to avoid a day of hard yakka.

NumptyScrub

Stoner Sloth posted:

1. aerial ping-pong
2. dobbing
4. donkey vote
5. trackie daks
6. yakka
7. gnell
8. wowser
9. uey
10. stoush
11. dingo in the crib
12. spunk rat
13. chuck a sickie

have fun guessing!

1. football, but the Australian one not soccer or the one Lock runs
2. telling, snitching
3. never heard this one
4. writing numbers in order, but on an official electoral ballot (only relevant to ranked voting systems)
5. not heard this one
6. labour intensive work; being a brickie is hard yakka
7. not heard this one either
8. (UK) exclamation of surprise, if AU have a different meaning I am not privy to it
9. a U turn in the road. Pulling a u-ey can be illegal in many circumstances in AU
10. never heard this one
11. not heard this one
12. attractive person
13. take a sick day from work when technically not ill

Barking Gecko posted:

A tradie might chuck a sickie in order to avoid a day of hard yakka.

Also this

Stoner Sloth

some interesting guesses, i'll keep it open a little longer in case anyone else wants to jump in!

alnilam

NumptyScrub posted:

9. a U turn in the road. Pulling a u-ey can be illegal in many circumstances in AU

If this is right then this one is also pretty common in the US. I've never seen it written though and might have misinterpreted it; when I saw "uey" i thought it was pronounced like you would pronounce "hue" in spanish

Stoner Sloth

time for some answers!

Stoner Sloth posted:

1. aerial ping-pong
2. dobbing
4. donkey vote
5. trackie daks
6. yakka
7. gnell
8. wowser
9. uey
10. stoush
11. dingo in the crib
12. spunk rat
13. chuck a sickie

have fun guessing!

1. AFL or aussie rules football - based in large part on a game invented by the first nations people here called 'marngrook' by some of the groups that played it. this term is often used derisively or jokingly
2. snitching or ratting on someone
3. ostentatious, too flashily dressed for the occasion, well groomed but a bid dodgy

NumptyScrub posted:

4. writing numbers in order, but on an official electoral ballot (only relevant to ranked voting systems)

this exactly - usually done by people who don't a give poo poo. australia has mandatory voting and you must be registered. if you fail to vote you'll be fined. our voting system works differently depending on the house - the lower house uses what's called preferential voting while the upper house uses proportional voting. both are ranked, instant run off type systems rather than first past the post

5. track suit pants - daks are pants in general, to be dakked is the same as to be pantsed and underwear is often called underdaks. trackie daks are the most common use of the term though.
6. work generally physical, hard yakka is the most commonly used form of the expression and is just particularly exhausting/difficult/tough physical work
7. fake gnews (made it up)
8. someone who is puritanical or prudish, a person who attempts to shame or censor people and the things they enjoy. a wowser might write letters to the editor about naked statues at the art gallery or complaining about declining moral standards in the young people of today
9. a u-turn - usually phrased something like 'nah mate, ya missed it and need to pull a uey up here'
10. an argument or fight or brawl, probably taken from the Scots 'stashie' or 'stushie' meaning a quarrel, uproar or commotion
11. like number seven this one is made up
12. an attractive and/or promiscuous person (sorry this one is kinda judgey but that's language for you) - these days more commonly used in the first sense. derived both from 'spunk' in the sense of bravery, chutzpah, plucky (which is also understood in australia in this sense albeit rarely used these days) and also in the sense of semen.
13. take a day's sick leave without medical reason, a very australian thing to do - though to be fair australians actually work very long hours compared to many countries and work a large amount of unpaid overtime because capitalism is a right cun...

...nyways folks that's all for this time? how did you do at home? this is stoner sloth and i'll be back next time for more australian idioms with stoner sloth!!

alnilam

lol some fun surprises in there

How much aussie slang is adapted from indigenous languages? Some of them just don't seem rooted in english or indeed any indo-european language, like yakka

Stoner Sloth

alnilam posted:

lol some fun surprises in there

How much aussie slang is adapted from indigenous languages? Some of them just don't seem rooted in english or indeed any indo-european language, like yakka

some - and well spotted on yakka which comes from the Yagara language of the brisbane region (queensland). it is derived from 'yaga' which meant work.

much of it is white folk hearing words and mispronouncing them while incorporating them into the language, also often from pidgin dialects

aboriginal languages are a complex thing - before white folk got here there were over three hundred different language groups of varying relation to each other, some of them very, very ancient indeed (like stemming back from before there were modern humans in europe) in all probability

Stoner Sloth

but probably a majority of it is taken from UK dialects of various sorts and rhyming slang is commonly understood and sometimes used too - you'd be hard pressed to find an aussie who doesn't get the term 'dog & bone' that someone mentioned in an ad earlier

a lot of early australian slang and idioms were probably used for the same reasons to - partly to avoid having the coppers understand you while talking about criminal activities

Manifisto

these are a lot of fun!

ty nesamdoom!

Robot Made of Meat

Manifisto posted:

these are a lot of fun!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile

Manifisto posted:

these are a lot of fun!